Crime | I'm Not Gay | News | Richard Curtis | Washington

BigGayDeal.com

Washington State GOP Rep. in Alleged Male Hustler Extortion Plot

Republican Washington State Representative Richard Curtis is at the center of an alleged extortion attempt involving a male prostitute. The case is under investigation by Spokane law enforcement.

RichardcurtisThe Columbian reports: "Officer Jennifer DeRuwe, spokeswoman for the Spokane Police Department, said police expect to wrap up their investigation in the next one or two days and forward their findings to county prosecutors for a decision on whether criminal charges should be filed...The Spokesman-Review newspaper reported Monday that the alleged extortionist is a reputed male prostitute. DeRuwe would not confim that report and said that prostitution did not appear to be involved in the case. A Spokane TV station, KREM, reported on its Web site that Curtis and the man had a sexual encounter and were seen together at various spots around the city. Curtis was in the city for a retreat with other Republican lawmakers to craft strategy for the upcoming legislative session."

Said Curtis Monday afternoon: "I committed no crime. I did not solicit sex. I was trying to help somebody out. I am not gay. I have not had sex with a guy. It's been a rough week. Look, the rest of this will all come out. can't say anything more until I have talked to my attorney. I have never been in this situation before."

The Spokesman Review reports: "Elected to the state House of Representatives in 2004, Curtis has voted like a fiscal and social conservative. This spring, he voted against domestic partnerships for gay and lesbian couples. Last year, he opposed a gay rights bill that banned discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation."

Comments

1. Another day, another Republican closet case!
    "I was trying to help somebody out" is Eddie Murphy's old line. And considering how much they're paying you, what's with the dead rat on your head? Get a toup that works, dear.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 30, 2007 10:28:02 AM

2. Openly gay State Rep. Jim Moeller, told the Columbian: "Richard appears to be a happily married man to me."

Perhaps a little less happily this week.

"I was trying to help somebody out," is a line that should always be followed by three little words: "...of their pants."

Posted by: David D. | Oct 30, 2007 11:00:45 AM

3. Why do they always look like junior high school assistant principals?

Posted by: Brian | Oct 30, 2007 11:13:49 AM

4. That moustache makes him look like 95% of the men walking around Castro street in San Francisco. Only difference is the Castro men are so much better looking.

Posted by: Hollywood Dave | Oct 30, 2007 11:22:46 AM

5. Well, at least they finally have one that's half way attractive!

Posted by: Sebastian | Oct 30, 2007 11:27:42 AM

6. Do Republicans not splurge for hair conditioner?

Posted by: Malibu Boy | Oct 30, 2007 11:29:22 AM

7. tap, tap, tap

Have they checked his stance?

Posted by: dc-20008 | Oct 30, 2007 11:33:17 AM

8. OK - this is just getting ridiculous - are there any gay democrats out there? I wanna get laid like everyone else, but I just can't vote republican!

Posted by: Quint | Oct 30, 2007 11:49:37 AM

9. awaiting the Mike Jones announcement that he plowed this one too

Posted by: b mac | Oct 30, 2007 11:50:16 AM

10. Who hasn't just tried to help a gay hustler out once in awhile. Especially anti-gay Republicans. They're also trying to lend a helping hand to homos who charge ofr sex.

I am sure it's all a big misunderstanding.

Posted by: marco | Oct 30, 2007 12:10:52 PM

11. When you're spotted squir(e)ing a hustler around town, you want to be caught. Hasn't these Repugs ever heard of discretion?

Posted by: DC Arnold | Oct 30, 2007 12:38:52 PM

12. I'm certain all the Minneapolis hustlers can't wait to be helped out at next year's GOP convention. Many of us plan to park our butts at the Saloon just to watch all the fun. I bet you won't be able to get within 50 feet of the shower stall without running into a Repug.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 30, 2007 12:43:42 PM

13. Funny, Barney Frank said the exact same thing when he was caught with a hustler.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Oct 30, 2007 1:00:08 PM

14. Last night John Stewart was complaining that last week was a slow news week becuase no politicians had got caught sucking dick in a men's room. Looks like this week is picking up already.

Posted by: stevo | Oct 30, 2007 1:07:50 PM

15. In rentboyspeak he is, dare I say, a "doable" trick. I've seen MUCH worse, sweetie.

Posted by: Nancy'sRent | Oct 30, 2007 1:35:06 PM

16. I would so love to give my naughty neocon dad the punishment and humiliation he so desperately craves. Politics aside, bills must be PAID!

Posted by: NANCY'SRENT | Oct 30, 2007 1:42:43 PM

17. Yeah, most of the men I meet at the local bathhouse APPEAR TO BE happily married, too!

Posted by: steve | Oct 30, 2007 1:45:15 PM

18. Might I suggest that someone with computer skills I wish I had create a site with one of those automatically updating calendar/clocks a la the Backwards Bush clock or how much money Bill Gates made today, though in this case the theme would be "Days/Hours/Minutes/Seconds Since The Last Closeted Repug Was Busted"?

Another one could be "Days/Hours/Minutes/Seconds Since Reichen Changed Boyfriends/Took His Clothes Off/Got Another Tattoo" but then someone would accuse me of being obsessed or somethin'.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Oct 30, 2007 10:32:45 PM