Ireland | Jonathan Rhys-Meyers | Mario Testino | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers in Intoxicated Arrest at Dublin Airport

Rhysmeyers_2

Here's another image from Mario Testino's recently-published book of celebrity off-screen moments, Let Me in.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was arrested at the Dublin airport over the weekend, charged with public drunkenness and breaching the peace, according to the Associated Press:

"Dublin Airport Police said they called Ireland's national police force, the Garda Siochana, after Rhys Meyers refused repeated requests to calm down. Police charged him with two counts of violating the Public Order Act, then permitted him to pay an undisclosed cash bail on condition he return to Dublin District Court on Dec. 5 for his arraignment. Rhys Meyers — who was admitted to a California alcoholism-treatment clinic in April and checked out the following month — was in Dublin to appear on 'Tubridy Tonight,' a Saturday night national talk show to promote his new film, 'August Rush,' costarring Robin Williams."

A profile on Rhys-Meyers published yesterday in the L.A. Times paints a far cleaner story of the actor: "Earlier this year, he entered rehab for alcohol problems, but he doesn't have much to say on the subject; indeed, quitting drinking sounds like more of a career plan, part of his fitness regimen, than anything else. 'I hear people's fantasies of my wild-child days and I wish they were as wild as that, but the reality was not so wild. In the same way that my success was not overnight. I mean, I'm all for the exaggerated version of everything, but the truth was it was boring and getting in the way of work, so I stopped.'"

Rhys Meyers Arrested at Dublin Airport [ap]

You may have missed...
Steven Klein and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers do Robert Mapplethorpe [tr]
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers Loves Playing Gay [tr]

Comments

1. I'm missing something here. I understand alcoholism as a diease and how difficult it is to overcome,if he indeed has it, but what I don't get is what is the pressure for these young guys? Traveling all the time? Working long hours? Counting money? Worried about you otherhalf? Living in the closet? Or all the above?

Posted by: James Poppinga | Nov 19, 2007 6:27:21 PM

2. Another pampered, pretty, rich "star" gets toasted....Why is this news? Isn't that just on the daily itinerary for anyone even slightly, remotely famous? Isn't rehab just another excuse to take a trip to an exclusive spa?

Posted by: Wheezy | Nov 19, 2007 7:40:39 PM

3. Must be the strain of divorcing his wife Catherine of Aragon... LOL

Posted by: SeanR | Nov 19, 2007 7:47:40 PM

4. His face screams gay, and that's a good thing. He should just come out, it's better publicity that being an obnoxious drunk.

Posted by: realitythink | Nov 19, 2007 9:08:47 PM

5. Finally -- a drunken celebrity I want to fuck!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 19, 2007 9:17:50 PM

6. Good god, how drunk and disorderly would a person have to be to be arrested for it in IRELAND.

I miss the good ole days when you could get arrested in Dublin for NOT being drunk and disorderly!

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 19, 2007 9:20:29 PM

7. What I don't understand is the assumption that anyone young(ish) handsome and famous(ish) has an easy life. Do you really not understand the pressure of being under constant public scrutiny? Of constantly seeking your next job? Worrying that you're not good enough/talented enough/famous enough to further your career?

Money doesn't make every problem disappear, especially internal issues. With all the reality celebrity shows on TV, what really shocks me is that people still think fame is an easy life. It isn't.

Posted by: Gregg | Nov 19, 2007 9:28:00 PM

8. Did I mention that I once met Jonathan Rhys-Myers?

PeePee

Posted by: PeePee | Nov 19, 2007 9:34:51 PM

9. I'd still do him...

Posted by: alan brickman | Nov 19, 2007 10:26:22 PM

10. Gregg, Whatever you are drinking, pass it around. It must truly be a mind altering substance. Pardon me if I am a wee bit too busy to cry for the victims of fame. Who is forcing this little twit to act and endure the rigors of public scrutiny? If he does not like it, then he should get a real job.

Posted by: rudy | Nov 19, 2007 10:56:40 PM

11. Gosh, you're so right, Rudy. The only "real" jobs are the ones you deem so.

My basic point was that fame and money don't make life problem-free. Pressure is universal, and it's incredibly naive to believe the fantasy that famous, beautiful people are somehow magically happy and healthy.

Posted by: Gregg | Nov 20, 2007 12:18:59 AM

12. To Gregg:
    Hi, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers'publicist!
    Seriously, I doubt if any poster really questions the pressures that the entertainment industry forces on those who wish to partake of it...the problem is that lately, all we hear about is the youngin's who seem to flit in and out of rehab (hello, Lindsay Lohan, et. al.), and we are supposed to write off every indiscretion as due to "incredible pressure of being in the industry."
    Bullshit.

Posted by: tom | Nov 20, 2007 2:21:36 AM

13. To Gregg:
    Hi, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers'publicist!
    Bullshit.

Posted by: tom | Nov 20, 2007 2:22:51 AM

14. The photo I have seen on findbilover.com.

Posted by: John | Nov 20, 2007 5:17:31 AM

15. When you are young, famous, have money and in the industry you have a lot of time on your hands. In other words, a spoiled brat. So you party. Pressure? LOL.

Posted by: Himbo with Highlites | Nov 20, 2007 7:06:19 AM

16. "...it's incredibly naive to believe the fantasy that famous, beautiful people are somehow magically happy and healthy."

Very insightful, and I agree. That doesn't mean that I feel sorry for Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (or consider him a victim) - just that that statement makes sense in the general scheme.

Posted by: Pavel | Nov 20, 2007 9:29:55 AM

17. Thanks Pavel. For the record, I don't feel sorry for him or consider him a victim either.

Posted by: Gregg | Nov 20, 2007 10:43:45 AM

18. Some people are just screwed up, no matter what their circumstances (speaking from experience). And no level of money, fame, or beauty will change it.

And even tho' he is hot, he has scary, serial-killer eyes.

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 20, 2007 12:50:23 PM

19. I've worked in the entertainment business for 20 years...as an assistant. The shitheads that run this business all have entitlement and emotional issues and it trickles down. I've seen SVPs physcially (throwing people down stairs, smacking them upside their heads) and mentally abuse their underlings and the H.R. people refuse to do anything. The lawsuits against networks and studios are legion...but people get paid off. I was in therapy and used to drink alot. I would get into fights and have road rage. Oddly enough, it all ended when I got a job in the "real" world where people treat you like a person and not someone they can use. The glamor of the entertainment business is just that, glamor.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Nov 20, 2007 12:55:17 PM

20. I've met JRM and I have to say I found him sensitive and compassionate and smart as a goddamn whip.

I also thought he was lonely and unhappy and dying from it a bit. That can happen to anybody, apparently.

I would hate to have no concern for him because he works in one industry rather than another.

I hope things get better for him, and that he meets better people.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Nov 20, 2007 3:31:26 PM

21. Jonathan's mother just passed away today in a hospital in Cork, Ireland at only 51, as a result of a stroke (irishexaminer.com).

I hope all those people, on this site and elsewhere, who were so judgmental, learn a little from this and don't just automatically jump to conclusions. Grief is a very powerful force.

Posted by: Patrick M | Nov 21, 2007 3:38:08 AM

22. It would be difficult to be that handsome, that talented, that much 'onstage' and always wonder if anyone ever liked you 'for yourself.'

Posted by: Uncle Ralph | Nov 24, 2007 12:09:40 AM