Anderson Cooper | Election 2008 | Log Cabin Republicans | Mike Huckabee | News | Republican Party

GOP YouTube Debate: Log Cabin Republicans

And for the second gay question of the evening, David Cercone of Pompano Beach, Florida, asked, "Hi. My name is David Cercone. I would like to ask all the candidates if they accept the support of the Log Cabin Republicans. And why should the Log Cabin Republicans support their candidacy? Thank you."

Out of all the questions that could have been asked - same-sex marriage, hate crimes, discrimination — they choose this one? Huckabee's answer (and the audience's reaction to it) revealed just how insipid the question was.

(transcript via NYT)

MR. COOPER: Governor Huckabee, would you support -- would you get -- would you allow support from the Log Cabin Republicans, a group of gay Republicans?

MR. HUCKABEE: You know, in my position in this entire election, I need the support of anybody and everybody I can get. (Laughter, applause.) So I'm happy --

MR. COOPER: Should they support you?

MR. HUCKABEE: Sure they should. I disagree with them -- strongly disagree with them -- on the idea of same-sex marriage. But in a democracy, we can have disagreements over some policies and still agree on the greater things that make us Republicans.

So would I accept their support? Of course. Would I change my position on same-sex marriage? No, I wouldn't. But if they're willing to support me -- (applause) -- I'll be their president. I'll be anybody's president, but I'll be true to my convictions. And I think that's what Americans look for -- not someone they're going to agree with on everything, but somebody who at least has some convictions -- (applause) -- sticks with them, can explain them, and can at least have respect for people who have different ones. (Applause.)

On a related note, Red State Update posted a video about the Huckabee campaign and its recent surge (audio NSFW):

Comments

1. I wonder if this will be the next president? He is leading in Iowa, New Hampshire, and as of this morning South Carolina too in the primaries. Recent polls also show him soundly beating Hilary Clinton in the general election and in a dead heat with Obama.

And before everyone jumps on me, I'm not endorsing Mike Huckabee.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 29, 2007 8:59:39 AM

2. Huckabee has surged to 1st place in Iowa polls.

Rudi's campaign is now dead man walking with the revelation yesterday of illegal activity during his affair. The funneling around and utilizing TAX PAYER's money to pay for limos, dinners, hotels during his adulturous affair has sunk him. Quite possibly he could even end up arrested.

Huckabee is the one all dems should worry about because his populist message and even more lib economic background verses hillary while also being socially conservative will pull the working class catholics/ reagan dems and we loose 08 (really long run on sentence there)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 29, 2007 9:10:43 AM

3. As Huckabee said, "core Republican" values require gays be second class citizens. Hello! Anybody home? Is this news Log Cabin Republicans?

I'll never understand gay Republicans. It's like a non-white person being a devoted member of the Ku Klux Klan because they all like baseball. (Yeah, it's also a pretty good reason why Republicans of color over the last 30 years have been looked at suspiciously by other people of color. A few years ago a well known African-American California Republican tried discuss what he felt was racism in the party--he didn't like being mistaken for the bellboy. He was promptly told to shut up and be grateful.)

Posted by: noah | Nov 29, 2007 9:26:08 AM

4. That's why they should join the Libertarian Party.

Posted by: John | Nov 29, 2007 9:39:47 AM

5. Gay Republicans.

Latino Republicans.

Jewish Nazis.

Black KKK members.

Masochists all.

Posted by: Jonathon | Nov 29, 2007 9:40:19 AM

6. Honestly, that was probably a dumb question to ask. What politician would say they *wouldn't* want votes from a group of people? Of course he'll take the LCRs votes, regardless of his view on gay marriage. They will take anyone's votes. I think the real core values of the Republican party aren't really the social issues, but more about government philosophy (i.e, small government, low taxes, etc.) which I think a lot of people, gay or straight, can get behind. The problem is many elected Republicans are also socially "conservative". If a gay person really wants to vote Republican, Thomson or Giuliani is the way to go (thomson says leave "marriage" to states, keep feds out and giuliani is sympathetic to civil unions). I don't think voting Repub necessarily makes a gay person a hypocrite because there is more to that party than social issues. Democrats make a lot of promises to gay people, but in reality how many have been fulfilled? Take the terrible "don't ask, don't tell" policy...that was the work of Hillary Clinton who claimed it was "transitional". Well apparently neither Democrats or Republicans are taking gays to full equality. Gay people themselves will do more change the attitudes of America with grass roots efforts and education than relying on any politician from either party with empty promises.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 29, 2007 9:40:48 AM

7. Well said, Matt!

Posted by: John | Nov 29, 2007 9:44:14 AM

8. I can't let this one go:

"Sure they should. I disagree with them -- strongly disagree with them -- on the idea of same-sex marriage. But in a democracy, we can have disagreements over some policies and still agree on the greater things that make us Republicans."

Look, I am no naive greenhorn. I've been around enough to know how politics works. I know that it is all about compromising and "sleeping with the enemy" in order to get things done. But damn.... we're not talking here about foreign policy or the abstractions of global finance. We are talking about the basic rights of individuals and the denial of certain rights to certain people based upon specific criteria related to WHO and WHAT they are. Human and civil rights cannot be compromised, and I am sure that Huckabee would feel as strongly about it if it were his minority (white Evangelical "Christians") were being singled out for legal discrimination.

And another thing.... I thought that the president was supposed to serve ALL of the people, not just those who belong to his own party. Isn't it more important to agree on the greater things that make us AMERICANS? You know, like equality and freedom and the pursuit of happiness?

Huckabee is a slick bigot who has been able to schmooze far too many people into thinking that he's a nice guy. His history in politics alone is reason enough to put that lie to bed, but it is his insipid and selective religiosity that sickens me most.

Huckabee would be WORSE than Bush, if you can imagine such a thing. The radical moonbat religious right has had a good friend in the White House over the past seven years, but Huckabee would make Bush look like an atheist. Huckabee has stated that he discounts science because it changes too much and that he prefers religion because "God doesn't change".

No society can be ruled by religion and still remain a democracy or retain any shred of freedom for its citizens. If you want to see what future awaits us if the religious right continues to dominate our political system, look no further than our "friends" the Saudis. Look at what the Taliban brought to Afghanistan and parts of Pakistan. Look at the horrors of sectarian fighting in the Muslim world, from Morocco to the Philippines. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALIST AND A MUSLIM FUNDAMENTALIST. In the end, both of them will turn back the clock 1,000 years and will do their utmost to retard civilization's progress and evolution.

For the love of God.... if you are a Republican please oh please do your fellow Americans a favor and stay home on election day. We simply cannot survive another "faith based" presidency. Our entire way of life is in peril, as is our future.

Posted by: Jonathon | Nov 29, 2007 9:57:45 AM

9. As far as Im concerned Log Cabin Republicans are TRAITORS to every LGBT American under this "Poisoned Brand of Republicans" trying to restrict LGBT citizens rights! The LCR are FOOLS if they think they'd actually,Truly be accepted in the GOP!

Posted by: Rex | Nov 29, 2007 10:04:51 AM

10. Jonathan

The argument can be made that my fellow leftists and dems(repub lite) need to do this country a favor and vote at least Obama mildly populist or harder core populist Edwards in the primaries.

Corporatist Hillary matched against Huckabee will loose us 08

Huckabee is an economic populist compared to Hillary.

The good thing is that Huckabee vs anyone but corporatist hillary will have the presidential debates inundated with populist economic issues and signal a huge change in america economicaly.

The latest national polls see hillary dropping in electability against each top repub while Obama or edwards are growing in electability against repubs. Guilliani doesn't count anymore because he seriously is a dead candidate walking.

Populist and socially conservative huckabee will sweep middle america right up. We libs, leftists, dems , basically all non-repubs need to worry about Huckabee and especially Huckabee against hillary in the general.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 29, 2007 10:11:04 AM

11. I tend to agree with Matt.

Until there is either a professed champion for gay rights or a self-identified homosexual in the White House, gay rights are going to remain sub par. Until then, if you choose to vote for a candidate from the major parties, it is all about choosing the lesser of many evils, which is very often completely subjective.

Posted by: David | Nov 29, 2007 10:12:01 AM

12. Just did a quick google

Huckabee as their nominee and Hillary as dem nominee will see Huckabee trounce her on NAFTA and free trade.

Hillary hasn't even tried to distance herself from the outsorcing of us jobs thanks to her husband. "Some problems....blah blah blah" but she still supports Nafta, cafta, etc Huckabee wins right there on that issue alone with the majority of america. NAFTA, CAFTA etc all bad (other wealthy class repubs hate Huckabee on his populist take on free trade)

Time to worry about 08

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 29, 2007 10:25:50 AM

13. I can't stand the Repugs, but I'm glad to FINALLY see people taking their threat seriously here instead of Rah Rah'ing the "inevitable" Democratic victory. Perhaps this will force the Democrats to start talking real issues and actually EARN our votes instead of just riding on the fact that the Repugs have fucked up the country so badly.

Posted by: Gregg | Nov 29, 2007 11:05:36 AM

14. Even I had to go Independent this year. I was a hard core Log Cabin Republican for years, but now it's just an embarrassing association. So much for changing the party from within.

Posted by: MT | Nov 29, 2007 11:17:56 AM

15. Here's a stupid question I'm sure: Where does the name 'Log Cabin' come from?

And anyway, I could never be a Republican (even tho' my family is blue-blood old-school), but I still think Mitt Romney is hot.

Posted by: Jordan | Nov 29, 2007 11:52:21 AM

16. FYI, not every Republican is a Christian Conservative, just as every Democrat is not an atheist. Not every Log Cabin Republican agrees with everything the party stands for, just as not ever Gay Democrat agrees with everything their party stands for. Please refrain from making such sweeping generalities. After all, do we like it when the anti-gays say we all take it up the ass? I know more than enough tops to prove that sweeping generality wrong.

Posted by: Bill H | Nov 29, 2007 12:05:04 PM

17. Maybe somebody in here can please help me.

I have been watching this primary unfold, and I am slowly but surely being driven insane.

At 24 years old, I can hardly contain my anger anymore. I have turned into exactly what I always feared--a loony liberal. Through college, I was always able to handle heated debate in a poignant and thoughtful way, calm, assured, methodical.

Now, as time progresses, as this war progresses, as our civil liberties are picked away one by one here and there, I am so FUCKING ANGRY I can't take it.

I want to scream from the HILLTOPS like a looney, "I HATE YOU FUCKING REPUBLICANS!!! I HATTEEE YOUUUUU!!!!"

Thats all I have left in me. That's all I feel. I can't even articulate anymore because I am blinded by my own anger everytime I see anything that has to do with the Republican party.

I hate them.

Fuck. I know this is bad.

Posted by: Allen | Nov 29, 2007 12:29:28 PM

18. Who cares what they had to say! Did you see how HOT Anderson looked! Great fitted suit and the hair and makeup were perfect! WOOF!

Posted by: Wayne | Nov 29, 2007 1:11:14 PM

19. Wow! Jimmyboyo really hates Hillary, doesn't he?

Posted by: wetcnt | Nov 29, 2007 1:32:04 PM

20. The comments about how Huckabee was beating Clinton in the latest polls really wasn't sitting right with me. It also isn't true. Clinton beats every Republican candidate, attracting between 46% and 50% of the vote regardless of who she's pitted against. And here's my source (what?!! an actual source for meaningless poll numbers?)

Posted by: wetcnt | Nov 29, 2007 1:40:59 PM

21. Wow, BILL H is not only touchy about how the Repugs are represented, he's also a bit phobic about bottoming. Though, I really wouldn't expect anything better from a Log Cabin sympathizer.

Posted by: Gregg | Nov 29, 2007 1:58:44 PM

22. i take offense to the TN flag in the background..

Posted by: UTboy11 | Nov 29, 2007 3:03:57 PM

23. What's worse is Bill H IS a bottom! LOL

Posted by: No | Nov 29, 2007 3:24:56 PM

24. wetcnt

I see your poll and raise you this

battle of the polls 07 is on

:-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Nov 29, 2007 6:36:01 PM

25. Maybe not all Log Cabin Republicans agree with "everything" the party stands for, but any sane gay person who votes for ANY of the above-mentioned candidates (and if you don't vote, you shouldn't have the right to comment at all) should have his gay license revoked.

Huckabee such a threat? I had no idea. Guess I've been living out of the country for too many months to recognize a surge. I'm guessing a lot of people haven't the foggiest idea who he is. Time will tell . . .

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 29, 2007 7:03:22 PM