I'm Not Gay | News | Reality TV | Simon Cowell

BigGayDeal.com

Simon Cowell: I'm Vain, But Not Gay

In an interview with Britain's Daily Mail tabloid, Simon Cowell says rumors that he's gay are pure nonsense:

Ryansimon"If I was, why hide it? It's not as if the music business would be an odd place for a gay man to work. And anyway, if I was trying to hide the fact that I was gay, I would be off playing rugby every Saturday, wouldn't I?"

Back in September, it was reported that Cowell had fired X-Factor judge Sharon Osbourne because he was tired of her telling everyone that he was gay. Producers reportedly convinced Cowell to give Osbourne a second chance.

And, of course, on American Idol, Cowell and host Ryan Seacrest have kept alive a long-running series of innuendos about one another's sexuality.

Cowell did offer the Daily Mail a few true details about his personal life: "I have not had cosmetic surgery...Yes, I've had Botox, but not in an obsessive way. Then again, every guy I know who works in the City has had it now..I've never dyed my hair, ever, and I wouldn't. But yes, I like to take care of myself. I work out. I take lots of vitamins. What can I say? I think I look good for my age [he's 48]...I can't think of one person who is on TV who isn't vain. It's the nature of the beast. If you are on TV then you have a vanity, for sure. Just admit it! Why not?"

Comments

1. Let go of Ryan's ears, Simon--he looks like he knows what he's doing...

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 19, 2007 12:10:26 PM

2. Not sure I understand the rugby joke. But he's right, he's too rich to fear any backlash if indeed he was gay...

Posted by: Shabaka | Nov 19, 2007 12:21:50 PM

3. He's not gay, he just embodies all of the occasional bad features that you find in the gay community -- jaded, judgemental bitchy queen.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 19, 2007 12:26:26 PM

4. It's nothing to do with power or money. It's all psychological for these British guys. Simon Cowell doesn't want to be known as a nancy boy. Full stop. I would bet my life Mr. Cowell is gay. He's not kidding anyone.

It matters so much to Cowell that people NOT think he's gay, he engineers these really clumsy tabloid setups where photogs "catch" his girlfriend leaving his apartment late at night etc etc.

PS The way he smokes, he's gonna look like a cigar store Indian in about 5 years.

PSS He has a biggish dick and wears underwear without jeans to show it off. Eewwww. Can you say insecure?

Posted by: Gerry | Nov 19, 2007 12:30:10 PM

5. LOL I meant "jeans without underwear".

Posted by: Gerry | Nov 19, 2007 12:31:32 PM

6. This is the man who chose a mirror as the luxury item he would take to a Desert Island.

desertislanddiscs_20060813.shtml

Posted by: Mike | Nov 19, 2007 12:45:48 PM

7. I never actually thought he was gay - a fussy queen to be sure but gay? No.

Posted by: Giovanni | Nov 19, 2007 1:32:54 PM

8. Aren't all Brits just a little bit gay?

Posted by: crispy | Nov 19, 2007 1:43:19 PM

9. Whatever --- I actually like the guy, and find his remarks, though bitchy, usually on target. Most of the morons performing and trying out on American Idol are so, so bad --- and delusional.

But, the "gay, not gay" dialogue is really interesting. His remarks about his sexuality are refreshing. The more the general public hears the very possibility of homosexuality discussed, the better it becomes for general acceptance. My God, can you imagine this sort of repartee in the media 20 years ago?

For those too young (or ill informed) to know what it was like in the recent past, take a page from the late Charles Nelson Reilly's autobiography. It used to be the kiss of death to even have a hint of "gay" staining your resume in theater and television.

Now we have much more public acceptance, and even Simon's bitchiness helps to raise awareness and acceptance of that possibility. Like it or not, he is very popular, and he's the driving force behind a #1 hit show.

Posted by: Richard | Nov 19, 2007 1:45:44 PM

10. Vain, but not gay? I guess according to Simon Cowell, being vain is a gay trait? Funny, I've never had botox.

Posted by: JJ | Nov 19, 2007 1:51:10 PM

11. JJ: Howso? Cowell takes pains to say that he's vain and not gay.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 19, 2007 1:59:00 PM

12. LOOK! It's the organ grinder and his monkey!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Nov 19, 2007 2:02:20 PM

13. Gerry, some well-hung men don't wear underwear because it can be extremely uncomfortable, especially in tightish jeans. So it may not be an insecurity thing.

He doesn't come off to me as gay. I think he's actually refreshingly honest for a rich show biz person. No I don't actually like him, but he's being as sincere and honest as it's possible for him to be. He's the head of an enormous empire, and he could probably says he's into necrophilia and still people would have to kiss his ass. But who really cares.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 19, 2007 2:15:45 PM

14. "well-hung men....extremely uncomfortable."

Well, Paul, a little welcomed TMI. I knew there was something about you I liked. Damn, shouldn't sent you a T-shirt.

But like I always say, I'm no size queen...sober.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 19, 2007 2:25:11 PM

15. Simon's the one who's always accusing Ryan. "Methinks he doth protest too much."
    PSST...Hey, wanna funny, smart, twisted laugh today? Check out my (pretty gay, but not totally gay) comedy website. Here's the link... [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Posted by: Mike | Nov 19, 2007 2:26:24 PM

16. I have no respect for him, he's overrated and boring. The only good thing he's ever done for me was signing Leona Lewis..and I'm sure it was because of the dollar signs in front of him.

Posted by: anon | Nov 19, 2007 3:21:05 PM

17. His personality is probably typical of the industry, but his MO is not to hide it. I'm convinced he's manipulating the votes on AI though, so honesty is not really his bag. He needs a better haircut. Ugh.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Nov 19, 2007 3:38:49 PM

18. Being Jaded, judgemental and bitchy is just being a rich Englishman, nothing to do with Gay.

The Rugby comment is a reference to how *real* men always play the rough sports to show how manly they are.

And if any of you think all the pretty boys in Hollywood aren't vain, your living on another planet. They almost all have as much beauty treatment done as a starlet.

Posted by: Joshua | Nov 19, 2007 3:46:47 PM

19. "Being Jaded, judgemental and bitchy is just being a rich Englishman". Huh?

It has nothing to do with wealth or nationality.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 19, 2007 3:56:13 PM

20. I would bet so much money that Simon Cowell is gay.

As far as all his (kind of meanspirited) jokes about Ryan Seacrests questionable sexuality go, you would think -- whether he is actually gay or just a straight man who some people mistakenly identify as gay -- that he would be more sensitive than that.

Posted by: Meeg | Nov 19, 2007 5:04:35 PM

21. Yeah, Derrick, I'm PISSED you didn't send me one of your award t-shirts! I would have sent you a filthy picture in return.

Well, maybe. I can be quite shy.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 19, 2007 9:54:01 PM

22. I don't give a rat's ass if he's gay or not.

But, SHABAKA, do you really think that money allows people to come out of the closet? Look at Tom Cruise, Rock Hudson, Merv Griffin, etc...

Posted by: Gregg | Nov 19, 2007 9:59:26 PM

23. Gregg, you offer three examples, all of whom first achieved fame in the 1950s-1970s. The first is a Scientolo-nut. The next two are WAY old school.

Of course money gives you power (whether to come out or do whatever else). Look at George Michael and Ian McKellan. It's still a short, sad list...but that's just because it's late and I can't remember more. Once you have $10 million, another $100 million really doesn't matter. Then it's just greed and sadness.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 20, 2007 1:40:01 AM

24. Honestly,GREGG, I don't think money alone would incite a powerful person to come out if they were indeed gay. Personality, culture and all that good stuff combined would though. But I think Simon being Simon AND European, would have pushed him out if he was. I don't know, maybe I'm oversimplifying the issue for him.

Posted by: Shabaka | Nov 20, 2007 10:54:14 AM