Simon Cowell: I’m Vain, But Not Gay

In an interview with Britain’s Daily Mail tabloid, Simon Cowell says rumors that he’s gay are pure nonsense:

Ryansimon“If I was, why hide it? It’s not as if the music business would be an odd place for a gay man to work. And anyway, if I was trying to hide the fact that I was gay, I would be off playing rugby every Saturday, wouldn’t I?”

Back in September, it was reported that Cowell had fired X-Factor judge Sharon Osbourne because he was tired of her telling everyone that he was gay. Producers reportedly convinced Cowell to give Osbourne a second chance.

And, of course, on American Idol, Cowell and host Ryan Seacrest have kept alive a long-running series of innuendos about one another’s sexuality.

Cowell did offer the Daily Mail a few true details about his personal life: “I have not had cosmetic surgery…Yes, I’ve had Botox, but not in an obsessive way. Then again, every guy I know who works in the City has had it now..I’ve never dyed my hair, ever, and I wouldn’t. But yes, I like to take care of myself. I work out. I take lots of vitamins. What can I say? I think I look good for my age [he’s 48]…I can’t think of one person who is on TV who isn’t vain. It’s the nature of the beast. If you are on TV then you have a vanity, for sure. Just admit it! Why not?”

Comments

1. Gerry says

It’s nothing to do with power or money. It’s all psychological for these British guys. Simon Cowell doesn’t want to be known as a nancy boy. Full stop. I would bet my life Mr. Cowell is gay. He’s not kidding anyone.

It matters so much to Cowell that people NOT think he’s gay, he engineers these really clumsy tabloid setups where photogs “catch” his girlfriend leaving his apartment late at night etc etc.

PS The way he smokes, he’s gonna look like a cigar store Indian in about 5 years.

PSS He has a biggish dick and wears underwear without jeans to show it off. Eewwww. Can you say insecure?

2. Richard says

Whatever — I actually like the guy, and find his remarks, though bitchy, usually on target. Most of the morons performing and trying out on American Idol are so, so bad — and delusional.

But, the “gay, not gay” dialogue is really interesting. His remarks about his sexuality are refreshing. The more the general public hears the very possibility of homosexuality discussed, the better it becomes for general acceptance. My God, can you imagine this sort of repartee in the media 20 years ago?

For those too young (or ill informed) to know what it was like in the recent past, take a page from the late Charles Nelson Reilly’s autobiography. It used to be the kiss of death to even have a hint of “gay” staining your resume in theater and television.

Now we have much more public acceptance, and even Simon’s bitchiness helps to raise awareness and acceptance of that possibility. Like it or not, he is very popular, and he’s the driving force behind a #1 hit show.

3. Paul says

Gerry, some well-hung men don’t wear underwear because it can be extremely uncomfortable, especially in tightish jeans. So it may not be an insecurity thing.

He doesn’t come off to me as gay. I think he’s actually refreshingly honest for a rich show biz person. No I don’t actually like him, but he’s being as sincere and honest as it’s possible for him to be. He’s the head of an enormous empire, and he could probably says he’s into necrophilia and still people would have to kiss his ass. But who really cares.

4. Derrick from Philly says

“well-hung men….extremely uncomfortable.”

Well, Paul, a little welcomed TMI. I knew there was something about you I liked. Damn, shouldn’t sent you a T-shirt.

But like I always say, I’m no size queen…sober.

5. anon says

I have no respect for him, he’s overrated and boring. The only good thing he’s ever done for me was signing Leona Lewis..and I’m sure it was because of the dollar signs in front of him.

6. anon (gmail.com) says

His personality is probably typical of the industry, but his MO is not to hide it. I’m convinced he’s manipulating the votes on AI though, so honesty is not really his bag. He needs a better haircut. Ugh.

7. Joshua says

Being Jaded, judgemental and bitchy is just being a rich Englishman, nothing to do with Gay.

The Rugby comment is a reference to how *real* men always play the rough sports to show how manly they are.

And if any of you think all the pretty boys in Hollywood aren’t vain, your living on another planet. They almost all have as much beauty treatment done as a starlet.

8. says

I would bet so much money that Simon Cowell is gay.

As far as all his (kind of meanspirited) jokes about Ryan Seacrests questionable sexuality go, you would think — whether he is actually gay or just a straight man who some people mistakenly identify as gay — that he would be more sensitive than that.

9. Paul says

Yeah, Derrick, I’m PISSED you didn’t send me one of your award t-shirts! I would have sent you a filthy picture in return.

Well, maybe. I can be quite shy.

10. Gregg says

I don’t give a rat’s ass if he’s gay or not.

But, SHABAKA, do you really think that money allows people to come out of the closet? Look at Tom Cruise, Rock Hudson, Merv Griffin, etc…

11. Paul says

Gregg, you offer three examples, all of whom first achieved fame in the 1950s-1970s. The first is a Scientolo-nut. The next two are WAY old school.

Of course money gives you power (whether to come out or do whatever else). Look at George Michael and Ian McKellan. It’s still a short, sad list…but that’s just because it’s late and I can’t remember more. Once you have $10 million, another $100 million really doesn’t matter. Then it’s just greed and sadness.

12. says

Honestly,GREGG, I don’t think money alone would incite a powerful person to come out if they were indeed gay. Personality, culture and all that good stuff combined would though. But I think Simon being Simon AND European, would have pushed him out if he was. I don’t know, maybe I’m oversimplifying the issue for him.