Chicago | Crime

Chicago Man Assaulted and Raped for Alleged Wink and Proposition

A man in Chicago was assaulted at a party and then stalked by his attacker, 43-year-old Felipe Rivera, who waited outside for him and followed him to a basement staircase where he then raped, assaulted, and sodomized the victim with a broomstick, authorities say.

RiveraWhy did he do this? Because the victim winked at him at the party and then, allegedly, propositioned him. The victim denies propositioning his attacker, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The paper reports:

"According to a spokesman for Cicero police, Rivera and the victim encountered each other at a party Friday night in the 1200 block of South 50th Avenue. 'Mr. Rivera got upset apparently because he believed the victim, No. 1, didn't respond to a female and then, No. 2, somehow winked at him -- made what he perceived as a sexual advance," said Cicero police spokesman Dan Proft. Rivera then punched the victim in the face, Proft said, and was asked to leave the party. He allegedly waited outside for the victim. According to Rivera, the victim, 37, then propositioned Rivera for a sex act -- a claim the victim denies, Proft said. Rivera followed the victim to the outer staircase of a basement apartment, where he removed the victim's pants and raped him, authorities said. Afterward, Rivera punched the victim in the head, leaving him semi-conscious, then inserted a metal broom handle in the victim's rectum, sources said. Rivera gave police these details in a videotaped statement, according to Proft. When asked why he did it, Rivera allegedly said it was 'because he hates f - - - - - s, and this is what they get,' according to Proft. A spokesman for the state's attorney said Rivera also shouted 'sexually oriented derogatory comments' during the rape."

Rivera reportedly fled to his mother's home. Mom turned him in, as she has an order of protection against him.

Rivera has been charged with a hate crime as well as aggravated criminal sexual assault and other offenses and could face 30 years in prison. He's being held on $400,000 bond.

Alleged gay advance cited in rape [chicago sun times]

Comments

1. Holly mother of...So this retard hates f_gs but enjoys sodomizing them? Is it a hate crime when a "gay" man rapes another "gay" man? He's obviously a self hating homo but does that explain the hate crime sentence? I get confused about these laws.

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 28, 2007 10:55:57 AM

2. "Retard" Shabaka? Using that word as an epithet--in the absence of any evidence that the man is mentally handicapped--is itself a demonstration of your own bigotry. Please think before you write. Surely Rivera has demonstrated that he is a violent homophobe and acted on his bigotry. I hope you do not act out in a similar manner. Your offense is greater than your confusion about "these laws".

Posted by: rudy | Dec 28, 2007 11:32:42 AM

3. Seems pretty hateful to me--even if self-hate is part of the equation.

While rape itself can be construed as a hate crime, the additional sexually oriented derogatory comments, physical violence, rape with an object and admission of hating a particular group to whom the victim is considered to belong...all these things add up.

Posted by: David D. | Dec 28, 2007 11:34:58 AM

4. RUDY...Violent rape is DEFINITELY a retarded act, regardless of what the victim did or didn't do. How you fail to see this makes one wonder! And why would you think I would "act in a similar manner"? Where is this coming from?

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 28, 2007 11:40:50 AM

5. Shabaka, You are an idiot, a bigot, and reading comprehension is obviously yet another skill you do not possess. Rape is a heinous act; it is a criminal act; it is the ultimate violation of another person; however, it is not a "retarded act".

Posted by: rudy | Dec 28, 2007 11:57:31 AM

6. Boy oh boy...Okay RUDY...You're obviously on something. But I won't respond to your comments with hostility since it's Friday and I'm in an ah-mazing mood. So please do yourself a favor and get some fresh air. It'll do you some good. M'kay?

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 28, 2007 12:03:21 PM

7. Rudy writes: "Surely Rivera has demonstrated that he is a violent homophobe and acted on his bigotry. I hope you do not act out in a similar manner."

Rudy- you mean to say that you hope Shabaka doesn't act out violently against retarded people? If that's the heartfelt concern you take away from this article and Shabaka's apt assessment, you really must be on something.

Certainly "retard" shouldn't be used as an epithet, but considering that violent homophobes are raping perceived gay men with broom handles in damn-near 2008, your avid defense of the mentally retarded in these comments is, at best, thoroughly unrelated. (And at worst, well, a little retarded.)

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 28, 2007 12:43:34 PM

8. Stupidity is running rampant in this thread. Cannot you read and comprehend English? Shabaka used an epithet against mentally handicapped people that is completely unrelated to the article or her attempt at stating a comment. Shabaka's "assessment" was hardly "apt" but it was bigoted and stupid. In her "assessment," rape is a "retarded act". That is an egregiously stupid and bigoted statement.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 28, 2007 1:02:35 PM

9. I'm guessing Rivera is an ex-con with prison time under his belt.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 28, 2007 1:03:40 PM

10. @ RUDY...Boo,Shabaka is a HE. When you get back from your break...Away from yourself, check out my profile. It clearly states my name, location, gender, etc. LMAO.

@ JEFF & ANON...I should have warned you guys to stay away from RUDY. So sorry. Drinks on me anytime you're in town. LOL.

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 28, 2007 1:19:48 PM

11. Argh! Let's deal with the issue hear. This creep Rivera raped a human being and has confessed to the crime. Case closed. Toss his ass in the jail.

If Rivera's mother had an order of protection against him, there's obviously something wrong with him besides any kind of mental illness. Statistics show that those who suffer from mental illness are more likely the victims of violence than the perpetrators.

I'd agree that self-hatred plays a role because why else would Rivera be able to get it up and rape his male victim? How many cases do you hear of gay men raping heterosexual women? Not as often as you hear of supposedly heterosexual men raping other men (gay or straight)!

Given Rivera's statements, Rivera was motivated by hatred of homosexuals. Therefore it is a hate crime. A hate crime can be committed by members of the same group if there is hatred involved.

For instance, think about cases where interracial couples are attacked by people of one of the couples' same "race." The hatred is directed against both victims.

Similarly, there are plenty of cases of self-haters injuring others in their own racial, ethnic, or sexual group. Look at all of the closeted gay Republicans who do horrible things to other gays? Roy Cohn? There are also examples of the Jewish Ku Klux Klan member and the biracial Neo Nazi member who committed hate crimes and were later "exposed."

As for the "retard" comment. It is a bigoted comment since it denigrates an entire class of people who suffer from intellectual challenges. Moreover, just because someone suffers from mental illness does not mean that person is evil or pre-disposed to evil.

Many people who suffer from a mental illness have lead successful lives and have greatly contributed to society: Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Virginia Wolff, Lord Byron, Ted Turner, etc. In particular, there is strong evidence that many people who suffer from bipolar disorder are genetically gifted with higher intelligence and creativity because of the genes that cause their illness.

Reducing Rivera to a "retard" continues pushing a stereotype of the violent, sexually perverted mentally ill that has been the stuff of fiction and tabloid headlines. There are better adjectives to describe Rivera: fiend, scumbag, etc.

If you reduce Rivera to just a "retard," you reduce his culpability for his actions and also make yourself seem pretty hypocritical since, no doubt, you wouldn't want someone to reduce you to just being a "homo," "queer," or insert-your-favorite-epithet.

Posted by: noah | Dec 28, 2007 1:25:51 PM

12. Shabaka, I deliberately did not "check out" your profile because I do not engage in personal attacks and, more importantly, could not care less about you other than to call out the imbecility of your supposed "assessment". If you are too stupid to understand that basic difference your profile would not provide any information necessary to point out your obviously idiotic and bigoted statement. The inanity of your subsequent comments only adduces further written evidence of your lack of analytical abilities. Wallowing in your ignorance is shown thereby to be a deliberately chosen activity.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 28, 2007 1:48:05 PM

13. Wait, wait, hold up.

Shabaka never called the rapist "mentally handicapped", or "schizophrenic", or "bi-polar".

He called him a retard, and while that word may have a long unfortunate history as an epithet against the mentally handicapped, it also can simply mean someone who is retarded in their development, mentally, socially, emotionally, physically. And certainly Rivera is retarded in his development as a well-balanced, fruitful, self-actualized member of society, no?

That's why it's completely apt to call him a retard. The assumption that Shabaka was calling him "mentally handicapped" was a jump you made, Rudy, and you alone.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 28, 2007 2:16:18 PM

14. SHABAKA! RUDY! this is the prison matron speaking! GET BACK IN YOUR CELL and grease up those pussies 'cause Daddy Rivera's coming back to join you two ladies for one hell of an afternoon.

Posted by: the queen | Dec 28, 2007 2:43:16 PM

15. Entirely unconvincing Jeff. Read the comments IN CONTEXT. Your spinning would do the White House Spokesdunce proud.

Shabaka's epithet is no less bigoted than Rivera calling the victim a fag. Shabaka called him a "retard" he did not say that Rivera was developmentally retarded. And spare me your spin that Shabaka was using "shorthand" because he obviously--again, context is key--just tossed off a bigoted comment without thinking, much less analysis. Moreover, Shabaka compounded the idiocy by calling rape a "retarded act".

I have counseled rape victims--both male and female--and none would agree that their attacker was a "retard" or that violation of their bodies was a "retarded act" but rather a brutally physically and psychologically violent act perpetrated by a criminal. Furthermore, in my being successful in convicting rapists (and other violent offenders) earlier in my career I would never have argued to the jury that the defendant was a "retard" who perpetrated a "retarded act". That idiotic "argument" would not have not resulted in conviction and justice (to the extent meted out by our judicial system) for the victim. I would have flunked any of my legal advocacy students who propounded such imbecilic rhetoric.

Granted, this is a blog, not a class in legal persuasion; however, that does not mean that one should ignore blatant stupidity and bigotry.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 28, 2007 4:28:40 PM

16. Jeff,

"Retard" is an epithet that is based on hatred of people who are intellectually challenged and or suffer from some form of mental illness. "Retard" comes from "retarded," as in someone who suffers from perceived mental, intellectual deficiencies. People who suffer from other forms of mental illness, like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia has historically been lumped into the category of "retards" and been harassed because of their illnesses.

And, sorry to have to there, but, it's true: Hitler and American eugenicists targeted "retards" and other people affected by mental illness. Both sought to have the mentally ill sterilized and the Nazis also sought their extermination.

(You should read the about the American Eugenics movement if you want a good scare about government gone amok. People, usually poor whites, "racial" minorities. and orphans where routinely sterilized against their wills. This policy continued into the 1970s.)

So, no, it's never okay to call someone a "retard." It's just another way to dehumanize a person instead of treating him/her as a human being who is different and deserving of respect and dignity.

To even argue for the use of the word is reprehensible.

Posted by: Noah | Dec 28, 2007 4:43:07 PM

17. Thanks Noah. You have much more patience than I. It is so obvious to me that "retard" is an epithet, meant to be offensive, used by bigots that I tire of stupidity easily. I have sought convictions (and won) on behalf of retarded victims so I just about lost it when Shabaka referred to the perpetrator as a "retard" and then compounded the offense by labelling rape a "retarded act". And along came Jeff to add insult to offense. Fortunately, this blog also attracts thoughtful commenters such as you. Namaste.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 28, 2007 5:15:14 PM

18. Rudy and Noah-
    I see your points, and I certainly understand that Shabaka's statement: "Violent rape is DEFINITELY a retarded act", is not so accurate and indeed a dangerous assessment concerning actual mentally handicapped individuals. Duly noted.

But I will maintain that you've fallen off the P.C. deep-end. You must concede that Shabaka had no intention of even slightly alluding to actual mentally handicapped people. But I know, I know, that's not the point.

I'm just not the kind of person who minds when teenagers use "gay" as a negative adjective unrelated to homosexuality, or rappers use "fag" as an insult when they're obviously not talking about gay people at all. I'm a proud liberal through and through, but I think we all need to become a bit more secure. Words do hurt us, but they shouldn't. We all need to focus more on actions (like, say, internalized-homophobia-induced-gay-rape-attacks).

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 28, 2007 5:42:57 PM

19. Sorry- I didn't finish.

Words do hurt us, but they shouldn't. We all need to focus more on actions (like, say, internalized-homophobia-induced-gay-rape-attacks), which, in accordance with our standard modern vernacular, are pretty fuckin' retarded.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 28, 2007 5:46:03 PM

20. The word choices of the commentators aside, the crux of this sad tale about Mr. Rivera is that he will probably now spend a good portion of his life in prison...where he will no doubt learn what a *real* sexual advance is.

Hopefully he won't have to endure the Karma of 'retarded ejaculation' on the part of his cellmate!

Posted by: Danny | Dec 28, 2007 8:53:44 PM

21. First,
    the whole "retarded" discussion is just, uh, retarded. Unless you are mentally challenged then get over it folks, jesus christ.

second, I know i'll get flamed for this, but I cannot understand how a 37 year old man gets raped by another man, absent a gun. A punch to the head was all it took to pull your panties down? i dunno. this one requires further investigation.

just me

Posted by: Briggs | Dec 28, 2007 11:57:30 PM

22. Rudey, the punctuation mark always goes inside the quote. Fuckin' "retard."

Posted by: amanda | Dec 29, 2007 2:54:16 AM

23. Whoa! Who woulda thunk!! I just walked in from a crazy week end in Montréal and dang! I started something, didn't I?
    En tout cas, After "thoughtful" consideration I decided to retract my calling Rivera a "retard" since our PC correct world does not allow us to call anyone "ill-advised" a "retard" anymore. Although I realize that according to most definitions of the term, retard means a developmental "hindrance", I can not disregard the fact that the term is synonymously used to refer to a "a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way,a hopeless social retard" as one online dictionary definition indicates. I mean his own mother has a restriction order against him or something in that regard! And you were asking for "evidence"! HA!

Now RUDY, bullying has never gotten ANYONE anywhere. So chill, boo!! Counseling rape victims does NOT,in any way, shape or form give you authority to disrespect people merely voicing their opinions, tu comprends mon petit con? Just stop your ridiculous self righteousness since you only come off as another social retard disconnected from the world we currently live in!!

Rivera attacked another man because he thought the latter made sexual advances towards him. And not only did he punch him, but he also sexually assaulted him. So to me and most sane people, to be sexually aroused by someone whom you consider to be a disgusting human being and proceed to actually stick your dick in them is stupid, gauche and downright ridiculous! Again if you fail to see this...Just take a break from your counseling sessions and jerk off! Okay connard? Oh and by connard I mean imbécile!! So there! I guess my "ah-mazing" friday is over and I can cuss your trouduc ass over and over and over again! Sheesh!

I'm just gonna go to bed and don't you dare say anything aussi con que tes dix derniers pages, d'accord?

Posted by: Shabaka | Dec 29, 2007 3:42:31 AM

24. I hope this motherfucker goes to jail and gets raped for 30 years.

Posted by: LightningLord | Dec 30, 2007 9:26:38 AM

25. Briggs wrote: "I cannot understand how a 37 year old man gets raped by another man, absent a gun..."

Now I am not flaming you, just responding. Your comments are a very typical reaction to a report of rape: blame the victim.

But just for argument's sake, let's assume that the initial sex was consensual. Does it then excuse the act of shoving a broom handle in the victim's ass while shouting anti-gay epitaphs?

Posted by: wetcnt | Dec 30, 2007 11:33:35 AM