Darren Manzella | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

CWA Spokesman to Gay Troops Supporters: "Put a Cork in It"

Via Think Progress comes notice that the 60 Minutes "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" piece really riled up Matt Barber, policy director for cultural issues with the conservative group Concerned Women for America (CWA).

Barber_mattSaid Concerned Woman spokesman Matt Barber to Cybercast News Service: "The military is no place for such radical San Francisco-style social experimentation, especially during a time of war. It's been the Department of Defense's long-standing position that to allow open homosexual behavior and other immoral conduct harms unit cohesion and troop morale. I know this to be true from personal experience," he stated. "I served 12 years in the military. During basic training, one of my fellow recruits was sent home for soliciting sex from other male recruits. The incident was an enormous distraction from our task at hand, which was to learn how to be good soldiers. Instead, recruits were violated, complaints were filed, and our command was forced to conduct a thorough investigation. It was an incredible waste of time and resources, and it definitely harmed troop morale and unit cohesion. If the bleeding-heart lefties over at CBS News and the SLDN really want to do something to support our troops and help the military, they should abandon their attempts to radically alter and undermine the armed forces, pipe down, put a cork in it and let our brave fighting men and women win this war on terror."

Hear that former Congressman Bob Barr, former General and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff John Shalikashvili, former Defense Secretary William Cohen, and former Republican Senator Alan Simpson?

Matt Barber of The Concerned Women for America wants you to put a cork in it.

Comments

1. Well, I'm sure the CWA realize that 1250 years ago, when women were fighting for the right to vote that they should have shut up, gotten back in the kitchen, and pumped out the chillen..

seriously.. if you call yourselves any org with Women in the title, shouldn't the face of your org, be, I dunno, a WOMAN?

Posted by: Darren | Dec 17, 2007 4:19:44 PM

2. Why are all of the of the frontline people of this "women's" group all heterosexual men? Shouldn't there, I don't know, be some women in this group who show their faces more often.

This makes this group seem like another cynical Republican attempt to set up a shell organization to push their crap. Last year, they got caught fronting a "black" Republican organization that had no African-American members.

It's sort of in the same vein as the phony civil rights and environmental "advocacy" organization they put together to persuade people that they are legitimate instead of part of an Orwellian propaganda system.

Posted by: noah | Dec 17, 2007 4:52:01 PM

3. sounds like a similarly bad-script of unproductive garbage that steps aside from real issues -- such as this purported story (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/washington/16nsa.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)
    whereas my trip to new york and other places seemed to offer up an imbalanced component of the shopping and cocktail bug -- it seems some people have stepped up to the plate in the land of make-believe. perhaps, when one has lived in new york, los angeles, or d.c. -- the waste is more easily recognized....separate from the contributed LIES!!

Posted by: ricardo | Dec 17, 2007 5:48:59 PM

4. Dig the endless stream of double entendres, but everything he says is so obviously full of s**t. Like sending Americans off to Iraq wasn't a social experiment. Like everything the military does isn't a social experiment. Like there has never been any bad behavior among "brave fighting men and women." Add in the words "San Francisco," which are supposed to, what, instill fear in all decent Americans? Actually, the majority of Americans support the idea of gays and lesbians being able to serve openly, and why wouldn't they? Another case of someone being weirdly over-interested in his "thorough investigation" of homosexuality.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 17, 2007 6:28:59 PM

5. I think I slept with this closet case back in the mid-90's. We met at the Circle Bar and went home to play...if it's the same guy, he was hotter then and a very big nasty boy. :-) I'd do him again...

Posted by: Bojo | Dec 17, 2007 7:11:15 PM

6. fatty barber is just pissed cuz no "hardened" soldier told him, "squeal! ms. piggy, like i taught you."

Posted by: NIC | Dec 17, 2007 7:24:04 PM

7. "During basic training, one of my fellow recruits was sent home for soliciting sex from other male recruits. The incident was an enormous distraction from our task at hand, which was to learn how to be good soldiers."

I just LOVE the way she misses the point and gets all pisses about "TEH FAGGGGZZZZZZZ!" without bothering to notice that the problem was open solicitation of sex............

What an idiot!

Posted by: oddjob | Dec 17, 2007 8:30:00 PM

8. Why are all of the of the frontline people of this "women's" group all heterosexual men? Shouldn't there, I don't know, be some women in this group who show their faces more often.

Because it's run by some very, very conservative fundies. Tim & Beverly LaHaye are about as out there in the ozone as it gets (before the term "Christian" becomes a complete joke). When your beliefs get that conservative women aren't to lead men, and since this is a lobbying organization specifically dedicated to changing American culture & politics I'm sure they would not want a woman to be telling American men what to do.

I used to be in a church that followed this line of thinking back when I was an undergraduate student many years ago. The thinking is not new and I'm quite sure the LaHayes share it.

Posted by: oddjob | Dec 17, 2007 8:36:46 PM

9. "During basic training, one of my fellow recruits was sent home for soliciting sex from other male recruits. The incident was an enormous distraction from our task at hand, which was to learn how to be good soldiers."

During my basic training one male from another flight in my squadron "solicited" multiple females in our sister flight, impregnated one female and was discovered with her in the process of having sex by a drill sergeant in the laundry room. Not surprising the girl was discharged and sent home with her new passenger and the guy... recycled back 4 weeks into training so he could 'learn how to be a good soldier' all over again. As if obeying direct orders against fraternizing with females, and probably fucking up some chicks future along with that of some unintended kid was not enough.

If anything it would make more sense for heterosexuality to be openly banned in the military. The repercussions are much more serious. What do you get from a bit 'o' dick (with protection) in yer bum!? Nothing! Maybe a bit of soarness in yer pooper for a day. The only thing yer giving birth to is a bit 'o' loose splatter right down the john. No crying. No slappin'. No child support. Just FLOOOOOOSH....

It pisses me off to no extent the way in which these people use the 'it IS therefore it SHALL ALWAYS BE'. Every time I hear it I swear Im expecting a chorus of angels to lift through the heavens upon beams golden light.

Posted by: Toto | Dec 17, 2007 11:51:28 PM

10. Me thinks the Barber doth protest too much. My gaydar reads a 99% from just looking at his photo and my gaydar is almost never wrong. Poor soul.

Posted by: ramal | Dec 18, 2007 1:38:23 AM

11. Hey,

If only he'd take the cork he's worn up his arse (protection from any of our numbers he met in the military you see) since his army days and rammed it down his throat, then maybe we would be able to pipe down for a minute.

btw- Concerned Women for America- I think your spokesman may be a plant from an enemy camp...either that, or she's the best Drag King I've ever seen!

If the military throughout history had listened to knob-ends like this dude, historians would be teaching us about Alexander the Extremely Average...

Posted by: Wirrrn | Dec 18, 2007 2:25:05 AM

12. Someone should do some research to find out exactly when and where he did basic training and then check the records to see if this incident even took place.

These guys lie like dogs! I don't believe his bullshit story for one frickin minute!

Start diggin boys and girls. Expose this phoney once again for the lyin, cheatin, homo-obsessed jerkoff he really is.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 18, 2007 6:13:44 PM

13. While I dig reading the weekly updates on Towleroad, I sometimes just can't stomach the commentary, and increasingly skip it. Case in point: Charles is one of the first in the string (#16) to elevate his comments above name-calling, slander, and juvenile comments about the subject's physicality, and the next comment - while wittily phrased - suggests he has some religious agenda. What??? Sure, throw some good ol' gay humor in there, but to provide only comments about how he "looks gay," about how fat he is, and his imagined offense at not being the subject of sexual advances contributes nothing to the knowledge of those who actually give a shit about fully understanding the topic at hand.

Casting aspersions and vitriol make those commentators no better than Republicans who use personal attacks to squelch deliberate dialogue about any of the important issues facing our country. I, for one, would rather read a reasoned commentary I disagree with than some of the useless name-calling on here.

Posted by: kelray88 | Dec 22, 2007 3:12:59 PM