Democratic Party | Election 2008 | Iowa | John Edwards | News

John Edwards Upbeat as New Poll Shows Him Ahead in Iowa

A new InsiderAdvantage poll shows John Edwards jumping ahead of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in Iowa. Last night he talked to Chris Matthews on Hardball and Matthews asked him about why it looks like he's moving forward.

Said Edwards: "I mean, there’s been some fussing going on between them. I just got to -- I know what to do in Iowa. I know how to close there. People there want to see you speak from your gut. They want to see passion and energy. They want it to be real. And when I talk about doing something about corporate power and how it’s affecting the government, they respond."

Matthews also asked him why, as a Southerner with a "charming rural Southern manner" like Huckabee (who continues to lead on the GOP side), Edwards doesn't "cite the Lord the way he does."

Said Edwards: "Well, God and my faith are enormously important to me personally. They’ve gotten me through, my faith in the Lord has gotten me through some very, very difficult times in my own life. But I don’t think it’s my job as either a presidential candidate or president of the United States to impose my faith on anybody. If I get asked about it, I’ll answer the question honestly. I’ll tell anybody how important my faith is to me every single day. But it’s not something that I think is my job as president or presidential candidate."

Recently
Leading Gay Rights Group in New Hampshire Endorses Edwards [tr]
New John Edwards Iowa Spot Goes to the Movies [tr]

Comments

1. Impossible.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Dec 19, 2007 9:13:45 AM

2. I call shenanigans. There is a sizeable portion of the population that will vote for whomever they think is ahead in their party - it's human nature to want to be on the winning team. If the media starts trumpeting Edwards as the new frontrunner it absolutely has an effect on the actual vote. Polling is useless and downright counterproductive to a free election.

Posted by: wetcnt | Dec 19, 2007 9:36:18 AM

3. There's actually precedent for this...Kerry jumped ahead in '04 in part because of the fighting between Gephardt and Dean, and Kerry was credited with keeping his message positive (as was Edwards, who ended up second). Personally, I've been an Edwards supporter, but I don't know if he's got enough momentum to do the job on a national scale. I just hate that the media has attempted to scale back my choices so early in the process to Clinton and Obama, because I'm not satisfied with either of them.

Posted by: John | Dec 19, 2007 9:50:40 AM

4. The comment from Edwards is exactly what I wanted to hear. And with his wife giving him some good advice, he should make both a good candidate and a good president.

Posted by: John in Philly | Dec 19, 2007 9:55:13 AM

5. Wetcnt, you are right on. I don't know why Edwards isn't ahead. Other than Kucinich, he's the most progressive of all the Democratic contenders. I think he's for real change in taking on health care and rolling back on some of these corporations run amok. I hope Iowa will give him the surge he needs. Too bad the California primary is so far after all the early ones. Seems like once the first couple of states make their decisions, the others just sort of go along.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Dec 19, 2007 11:07:24 AM

6. Wetcnt, you are right on. I don't know why Edwards isn't ahead. Other than Kucinich, he's the most progressive of all the Democratic contenders. I think he's for real change in taking on health care and rolling back on some of these corporations run amok. I hope Iowa will give him the surge he needs. Too bad the California primary is so far after all the early ones. Seems like once the first couple of states make their decisions, the others just sort of go along.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Dec 19, 2007 11:08:07 AM

7. I like John Edwards. Of course I wish he were more progressive on GLBT issues like marriage equality, but overall I like him. And I wouldn't mind looking at him for four years either!

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 19, 2007 1:56:16 PM

8. Why is Edwards not ahead right now? TROYTOONER mentioned a reason without realizing it. Because Edwards seems ready to fight corporate America. And our media is run by whom? Oh yeah, corporations. Obviously, the news we see is going to push for corporate shills like Clinton, or someone they can walk all over like Obama.

I'm not saying that Edwards is a savior. But I do think that he is the real Democratic candidate, capable of winning against the Repugs, and I'd vote for him.

(Now I just continue to worry about election theft. Voting machines produced by more - oh yeah - corporations...)

Posted by: Gregg | Dec 20, 2007 1:29:57 AM