Barbara Walters | Colorado | Crime | Deaths | George W. Bush | Israel | Larry Birkhead | Mexico | Mexico City | New York | News | Pedro Andrade | Ted Haggard | Travel | Washington

News: Dana Perino, Mexico City, Pedro Andrade, Hate Crimes Act

road.jpg NYT nails Congress for failure to pass Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes act.

Perinoroad.jpg White House spokeswoman Dana Perino admits she didn't know what the Cuban Missile Crisis was: "I was panicked a bit because I really don't know about . . . the Cuban Missile Crisis...It had to do with Cuba and missiles, I'm pretty sure."

road.jpg Snubbed by Barbara Walters: Larry Birkhead not as fascinating as he thought.

road.jpg New York City remembers pioneering gay rights activist Bob Kohler: " With candles and signs held high, and with pill bottles and ceramic pots filled with some of Mr. Kohler’s cremated remains, dozens of his friends and admirers marched through the streets, chanting to the beat of a drummer, stories of Mr. Kohler’s courage in more than six decades of activism spilling from their lips. Some cried as they stepped down West 13th Street, Seventh Avenue and Christopher Street to Sheridan Square, ending up at the Hudson River piers, a refuge for many gay youths in the area. 'Till the very end he struggled for us, all of us,' said Jennifer Flynn, 36, a friend and member of a group of mostly lesbian activists who helped to care for Mr. Kohler as he battled cancer in his final days. 'He could have lived a comfortable life somewhere. He could have ignored everyone.'"

road.jpg Washington state gay rights leaders expect to see more advances in the coming legislative session: "Advocates say they'll push for expanded rights in areas such as property, retirement and pension benefits in the 2008 session."

Judelawkissroad.jpg Jude Law gets a birthday kiss from Jonny Miller.

road.jpg Mexico City grants gay prisoners conjugal visits.

road.jpg Missionaries shot dead at training center before gunman shoots four more at New Life Church, where Ted Haggard once preached: "A gunman in a black trench coat and a high-powered rifle entered the church's main foyer about 1 p.m. and began shooting, according to the source at the church, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the police department had asked that it release all information. The church's 11 a.m. service had recently ended, and hundreds of people were milling about when the gunman opened fire. Nearby were parents picking up their children from the nursery. The gunman was killed by a member of the church's armed security staff, the source said. Four people were shot, and the source did not know whether the shooter was one of the four. A SWAT team was searching the building for an explosive device, but the source could not confirm any details."

road.jpg NYT: The 53 places to go in 2008, and the 70 best ideas of 2007.

Pedroandraderoad.jpg Lance Bass' ex Pedro Andrade has a new gig as a host for LXTV: "I just found my spot, and I'll be right here if you need me."

road.jpg Anti-gay Scout leader arrested for molesting young boys: "Mr. Evans sued the city in his role as a leader of the Sea Scouts, an affiliate program of the Boy Scouts. The city, after providing free berthing for a Sea Scouts boat for 60 years, said in 1998 that a Boy Scout policy barring gay scouts and atheists violated Berkeley’s rules against discrimination. The city said the Scouts would have to leave the berth or pay $500 a month rent. Mr. Evans sued for discrimination and for violating the Scouts’ First Amendment rights. The California Supreme Court ruled in favor of Berkeley."

road.jpg Israel recognizes same-sex adoptions from overseas: "This is another step toward equality and the abolition of discrimination toward same-sex couples. The time has come for the state to recognize these couples, just as it recognizes the adoptions of heterosexual couples."

Comments

1. Dana Perino is an ignorant twat. What a total dumbass. I'm sure she got her degree at Liberty "University" like so many of her BushCo colleagues.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 10, 2007 2:11:42 PM

2. I'm trying really hard to break the schadenfreude habit, but I can't help but laugh my ass off at Pedro. He has a great smile, but the way he talks does not translate to TV. He needs to stop swallowing his words. Plus, he dresses like a computer geek. Someone get that boy a stylist.

Posted by: MT | Dec 10, 2007 2:31:02 PM

3. I'm sorry, is "I just found my spot" supposed to be sexy and/or suggestive? Because hearing Pedro say it just makes me laugh hysterically. I don't know why.

Posted by: GG | Dec 10, 2007 2:57:06 PM

4. Ha ha...I think that's funny about Perino....kinda sad tho'. You would have thought she might have been smarter to be in that job, but considering who her boss is...um no.

What's hilarious is I had no idea either, or even WHERE Cuba even was, but then again, I'm not in that job....and I'm blonde, so that excuses me ;)

And Barbara Walters is SUCH a mean old bitch...she just needs to retire or go die somewhere.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 10, 2007 3:02:54 PM

5. OMG Jordan... no, being blonde doesn't excuse not knowing where Cuba is or what the Cuban missle crisis was. It wasn't long enough ago to be lost in the fog of time... only in the fog of ignorance. If I were you, I'd get myself a high school American history book and read it from cover to cover... do it for yourself... do it for Harvey Milk... do it for America...

Posted by: Brian | Dec 10, 2007 3:07:29 PM

6. Why is it that "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" keeps coming to mind?

Sheesh.

Posted by: RP | Dec 10, 2007 3:14:31 PM

7. I fully support the NYT in that Nancy Pelosi is a complete failure as the house leader.
    The Reps would have found a way to make things happen even before the Dems would have realized things happened.
    The Dems convince with their work neither in the House nor in the Senate...
    It is really a shame.

Posted by: Martin | Dec 10, 2007 3:29:26 PM

8. Dana Perino does not know what the Cuban Missle Crisis is about? Could she be the next SCOTUS nominee coming out of the dip-shits Whitehouse?

RP, on the nose. If the 5th graders were the ever-growing masses left behind, then YES! Indeed she is smarter!

What an embarrasment! Of course, Fidel Castro's Armani suits threw the Bush Bimbo off track. With such sharp coture; he must look like a really, really nice guy.

Posted by: Rad | Dec 10, 2007 3:35:39 PM

9. hehe.....I honestly thought Cuba was somewhere close to Canada.

hadn't ever heard of a missle crisis. must've been asleep or xanax'd out during that semester.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 10, 2007 3:36:05 PM

10. Several months ago some of us pointed out that it was a gruesome mockery of justice when the Senate Democrats appended an anti-violence bill to a war funding bill. The Democrats fund Bush's war. The US military command in Iraq uses those funds to arm the Badr Brigades, whose leader, the grand ayatollah al-Sistani, declared a fatwa (death sentence) against us. At the end of this string of horrors are the bodies of hundreds of our Iranian brothers and sisters hunted down and killed by the Badr militia. One 14 year old boy of unknown sexual orientation was hacked to death because he was too 'pretty'.

After a decades long string of betrayals and patronizing those still loyal to the Democrat Party are in all respects like abused spouses who refuse to get help, sign the arrest warrant or leave Big Daddy. People who can stomach the Clintons DOMA and DADT, Franks gutting of ENDA, Feinstein’s eagerness to fill the courts with gay bashers, their funding of the murders of GLBT folk in Iraq, the abandonment of the hate crimes bill and etc., and come back for more need therapy. They're empowering 'Big Daddy'. The problem is we all have to pay the price for their folly.

ENDA was strike one. The abandonment of the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes bill was strike two. Will the failure to repeal the Clintons DADT be strike three?

The Democrats and their Republican cousins are, in different ways, the enemy. As that becomes clearer to honest activists it’ll speed the growth of organizations like UnitedENDA and the broader struggle to achieve our agenda for full equality.

It’s urgently needed. Our people are getting fired and underpaid everyday. We get harassed and abused every day and each year 20 or more of us are lynched and thousands beaten. Those figures and the hundreds of murders of GLBT folk in Iraq are obviously not a problem for the rightwing Democrats and Republicans in Congress so it's up to us to make it a problem for them.

Posted by: Bill Perdue, RainbowRED | Dec 10, 2007 3:57:28 PM

11. How Perino graduated high school and then got a college degree is beyond me...
    And Jordan, please do run out immediately and grab a history book. There is no excuse for that level of ignorance from an adult. Don't buy into the dumb blonde stereotype. As Perino demonstrates we have more then enough stupid going around as it is.

Posted by: AdamN | Dec 10, 2007 4:09:59 PM

12. JORDAN...you often remind me of one of those girls who plays the part of the dumb blonde in order to get attention from the football jocks. Sadly, those girls do sometimes get the attention they seek, primarily because of sexist attitudes in the straight community that say the woman should just look pretty and refrain from showing her intelligence lest it bother the menfolk. But that doesn't often play in the gay community. By and large, gay men want partners who are strong, confident, capable and intelligent. Besides, JORDAN, when you are a member of the GLBT community, an oppressed minority with fewer civil rights and legal protections than the rest of the population, it is downright unconscionable to be as politically clueless as you often claim to be.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 10, 2007 4:36:37 PM

13. "JORDAN...you often remind me of one of those girls who plays the part of the dumb blonde in order to get attention from the football jocks."

So why are you giving him attention then?

A couple of more things:
    -Not all gay men want partners who are "strong, confident, capable and intelligent"!..well, they do, but not everyone likes the same type of men.
    -Being gay has nothing to do with being politically aware. It's a choice..

Posted by: Anon | Dec 10, 2007 5:05:22 PM

14. Decades ago, the Boy Scouts of America benefitted greatly from the contributions of out (at least to themsleves) gay men who knew how to keep their hands to themselves and protected the boys as if they were their-own younger brothers and nephews. But once the BSA lost the financial-protection of the the Johnson family (of Johnson & Johnson bandaids-fame) and fell into the hands of the Christianist fundementalists it's been down-hill for Scouting as a movement. They radically changed the intent of the organization, altered the social dynamics, and polluted it's Scout Spirit to conform to their own Christianist world-view.

And ironically it's gone from being tolerant of the well-intending gay man to ranting about Christ and pedophiles while it's also falling into the hands of conflicted, closeted men who CAN'T keep their hands to themsleves. No wonder the BSA is less than a tenth the membership of when I was a Scout and later Asst. Scoutmaster in the '60s and '70s.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Dec 10, 2007 5:10:11 PM

15. ANON...

I'm not sure I would equate 'bitch-slapping' with 'giving someone attention'.

And I said 'by and large, gay men want...' to indicate a majority of gay men, not a totality of gay men.

And yes, being politically aware is a choice...I never said it wasn't. What I did say is that it is unconscionable (a big word which means 'not right') for those who belong to an oppressed minority to remain ignorant of politics.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 10, 2007 5:19:01 PM

16. Dana Perino is the perfect spokesperson for Bush, they are both idiots. There are few things funnier than watching Perino's hapless sputterings during press conferences. Oh, I forgot, there is one thing funnier, her bosses press conferences.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 10, 2007 5:58:02 PM

17. Peterparker,

Believe it or not, it's not an act. I mean, I'm smarter than some of my friends, but that's just cause they're still on drugs. When I took xanax, I'd have to ask if I was at school the day before (seriously).

I'm not too worried about finding partners myself...I seem to find plenty (and have more waiting)...not bragging, just the facts. A lot of guys don't care how dumb you are...they just want you for one thing.

I used to worry about getting involved and trying to understand stuff and all that, but it's all so hard, and every time I'd try I'd make such a huge disaster of everything I just gave up. I'd just rather focus on the superficial and the party, thanks.

Anyway, I've been told I probably won't ever have to worry anyway, so why do it?
    Why not just have fun?

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 10, 2007 7:45:09 PM

18. Please do not feed the commenting trolls or the twinks. I cannot decide if "JORDAN" is writing his actual thoughts or if he is a fictional character written by a subpar parodist. I hope that someone could not be that vapid, egregiously stupid, wilfully ignorant, and actually exist.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 10, 2007 8:36:09 PM

19. I decided long ago that Jordan is not a real person. Some experiment going on here, and it's really quite boring.

Posted by: jmg | Dec 10, 2007 9:03:08 PM

20. I'm plenty real.

Must be awful to be bitter and old like most everyone here. Hate it for ya.

Suck it bitches!

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 10, 2007 10:12:01 PM

21. Yikes, that hair cut Law is wearing isn't exactly flattering. Luckily, he's as hot as ever, he just needs a better hair-do that suits his evaporating hair line. LOL.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 10, 2007 10:32:25 PM