Election 2008 | Mike Huckabee | Mitt Romney | News | Religion | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Mitt Romney to Deliver Speech on Religion and the Presidency

At 10:30 am EST, GOP Presidential candidate Mitt Romney will deliver a speech at the George Bush Presidential Library in Texas on faith in America and how religion should affect the presidency. The speech is being seen as a high-profile gamble by the Mormon candidate to shore up evangelical and right-wing religious votes when some polls show Mike Huckabee pulling ahead. The Mitt-flopper will also be webcasting it on his site.

RomneyHere are a few excerpts:

"When I place my hand on the Bible and take the oath of office, that oath becomes my highest promise to God. If I am fortunate to become your president, I will serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause, and no one interest. A president must serve only the common cause of the people of the United States."

"There are some who would have a presidential candidate describe and explain his church's distinctive doctrines. To do so would enable the very religious test the founders prohibited in the constitution. No candidate should become the spokesman for his faith. For if he becomes president he will need the prayers of the people of all faiths."

More over at Politico...

UPDATE: Full TEXT of Romney's speech here.

Related
Mitt Romney: I'm the Leading Marriage Protector [tr]
Larry Craig: Romney Threw Me Under Campaign Bus, Ran Over Me [tr]
Log Cabin Republicans Avoid Gay Rights in New Mitt Romney Ad [tr]
Romney Slams Democrats' Support of Gay-Themed Children's Books [tr]
Mitt Romney Attacks Same-Sex Marriage in Iowa Radio Ad [tr]

Comments

1. "Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone."

Sorry, I thought that that was Freedom and Responsibility.

Posted by: David D. | Dec 6, 2007 9:16:44 AM

2. Just more fluff from the android, he won't answer and nor will he get asked any of the REAL questions about his ummm, faith. It is an odd "religion" at best, and, if he want's to run the world, he needs to answer them, why do they not accept blacks, well, I guess they do, 30 years ago God spoke to them and said it was OK. Why is being gay second only to being a murder? And, why of all things do they wear special underwear? And, why can't anyone walk into their "temples" to pray if they are in need? I had a co-worker who was Mormon and, dear friend, when she died, I couldn't attend the funereal, as I wasn't Mormon to enter the "church," like what were they doing in there with a dead body?

Just a few questions, I'm sure won't get asked or answered, just the android seeking more free press.

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 6, 2007 9:32:25 AM

3. This is also the guy who just said that he would never consider appointing a Muslim to his cabinet because Muslims are all fanatical ideologues and not trustworthy. So when he talks about freedom of religion, he really only means his religion.

Just so we're all clear.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 6, 2007 9:35:50 AM

4. Jesus Christ Almighty.

"Freedom requires religion..." What the hell?

Man, I'm glad I'm Canadian!

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 6, 2007 9:56:35 AM

5. When I place my hand on the Bible and take the oath of office, that oath becomes my highest promise to God. If I am fortunate to become your president, I will serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause, and no one interest. A president must serve only the common cause of the people of the United States."

...and He'll MAKE SURE that Gays and Lesbians/Transgendered people will ALWAYS be treated as Second Class Citizens..cause' HIS God tells him SO.....Fuck Romney!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Dec 6, 2007 9:58:26 AM

6. Freedom requires religion? I am certainly not buying that bit of pandering.

Posted by: sam | Dec 6, 2007 10:09:40 AM

7. Freedom requires non-belief.
    Religion requires loss of freedom.

Posted by: A.J. | Dec 6, 2007 10:29:18 AM

8. Religious zealots in any form are very dangerous. I hope people keep calling him out on all his bullshit.

Posted by: SFshawn | Dec 6, 2007 10:38:21 AM

9. Sebastian,

You’re a little fired up there. Temples are different than the regular meeting houses that are called “Ward Houses”. You can attend any Ward House and all funerals are in Ward Houses. There are never any restrictions on attending a funeral. The public is welcome. The Temples are special buildings where only approved (with a “recommend”) from a Bishop can attend and do specialized sacred ordinance work.

Posted by: cowboy | Dec 6, 2007 11:01:38 AM

10. Aside from Islam, I'd say Mormonism is the LEAST compatible with individual freedom. Fundamental Mormonism advocates polygamy, called the "Sacred Principle" even though mainstream Mormons no longer practice it. But polygamy essentially involved the complete subordination of women who received no choice in who they would marry. Elizabeth Smart was abducted by a Mormon fundamentalist who had a divine revelation that he was to engage in a polygamous marriage with his wife and Smart. Apparently, he even took Smart with him to public places on multiple occasions and had achieved such a power over Smart that she never once cried out for help. Obviously, his actions were criminal, and he was prosecuted as such after capture. But his actions stemmed from his perception of "freedom of religion" and what it entitled him.

F*ck freedom of religion. In its fundamental form, it encourages segregation, breeds intolerance, and has resulted in some of the most brutal wars in human history. The fact that men would kowtow to an invisible but all powerful God negates any possibility of reasonable discussion with true believers and especially between men and women of different faiths. If that is a testament to the coexistence of freedom and religion as Romney sees it, we have a serious problem in this country.

Posted by: David | Dec 6, 2007 11:09:22 AM

11. Who cares? A conservative (well, he says he's conservative) Mormon speaking to a bunch of conservative religio-nuts at a conservative, Baptist college in conservative Texas? So, what's the big deal? JFK did the same thing in 1960, but that's the difference between Republicons and Democrats. It took BALLS for JFK to confront his detractors on their own turf (again, Texas; again, at a conservative university) and speak of his faith, since at that time Catholics were still viewed with tremendous suspicion and there was overt anti-Catholic bigotry. The hype for Romney's speech is almost unbearable, as if that mediocre candidate of the absolutely mediocre Republicon party speaking before a group of mediocre evangelicals is something newsworthy and courageous. No, it isn't--on either count. Romney is the most pandering politician of either party (well, Huckabee is a close second) and his speech will change nothing. Yet, it is getting incredible news coverage as if this compares to what JFK did. It doesn't. Romney is a coward, a self-aggrandizing coward as are the rest of the Republicons.

Posted by: mike | Dec 6, 2007 11:58:49 AM

12. The story of Mormonism is so completely ridiculous. Those people are morons.

I mean, I think all religious people are suffering from a delusion, but mormonism is especially wacky.

Posted by: JLS | Dec 6, 2007 12:00:05 PM

13. Who cares? A conservative (well, he says he's conservative) Mormon speaking to a bunch of conservative religio-nuts at a conservative, Baptist college in conservative Texas? So, what's the big deal? JFK did the same thing in 1960, but that's the difference between Republicons and Democrats. It took BALLS for JFK to confront his detractors on their own turf (again, Texas; again, at a conservative university) and speak of his faith, since at that time Catholics were still viewed with tremendous suspicion and there was overt anti-Catholic bigotry. The hype for Romney's speech is almost unbearable, as if that mediocre candidate of the absolutely mediocre Republicon party speaking before a group of mediocre evangelicals is something newsworthy and courageous. No, it isn't--on either count. Romney is the most pandering politician of either party (well, Huckabee is a close second) and his speech will change nothing. Yet, it is getting incredible news coverage as if this compares to what JFK did. It doesn't. Romney is a coward, a self-aggrandizing coward as are the rest of the Republicons.

Posted by: mike | Dec 6, 2007 12:01:04 PM

14. Sebastian, those underwear are called 'undergarments,' 'garments,' and a few other names I'm not sure of. If my knowledge is correct, they signify the wearer's acceptance of certain covenants (promises to god) one makes when accepting a priesthood. I think said 'priesthood' is the Melchizadek, and the garments could be thought of as a spiritual shield.

I often take the role of religious apologist on these boards, and need to emphasize that just because I understand and occasionally defend religions, I usually don't agree with them. However, I believe that understanding others is the only way I can live with them.

As pointed out by Mike, there are parallels between Romney and JFK, but they are still completely different. Yeah, JFK had balls. But I hope that people don't equate Mormonism with Catholicism, and certainly know the difference between Mormonism and the rest of Christianity. Even pre-Vatican II, American Catholics were not as answerable to the Vatican as Mormons are to their hierarchy. Romney will always be a Mormon first, and anything else is a distant second.

As for being Christians... The LDS superficially welcome other faiths but their doctrine declares all others to be in apostasy. Most mainstream Christian churches-- even when they cannot agree on anything else-- agree that the LDS and wider Mormonism are themselves in apostasy and label Joey Smith a heretic. I could go on forever on this, but basically it hinges upon Mormonism's rejection of the Nicene Creed and belief in three separate godheads rather than the Trinity. They use words that sound Christian, but in practice are nothing of the sort. Heaven? They have three of them and only the best get to the top one, and at the end of the world, the very good Mormon men get a world of their own to spiritually procreate with their multiple wives.

Although not a church-goer myself, I find it offensive the things Romney is saying. He is equating his church with freedom, tolerance, acceptance, and love, and it is nothing of the sort.

Posted by: justincredible | Dec 6, 2007 12:27:05 PM

15. I don't give a crap about religion or mormons or the issues...whatever...Mitt is just damn HOT !!!

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 6, 2007 12:33:55 PM

16. Re: Mike ... While I agree with you, the Bush Library is on the grounds of Texas A&M University. A generally conservative school, yes, but not Southern Baptist. (That's Baylor University.) A&M has no church affiliation.

Posted by: JohnnyL | Dec 6, 2007 1:00:16 PM

17. JustinCredible,
    Just believing in Jesus Christ is not enough to be called a Christian?

Posted by: cowboy | Dec 6, 2007 1:33:01 PM

18. South Park had the last word on Mormonism.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 6, 2007 3:41:10 PM

19. Cowboy,
    That's a common question and the answer is: nope, it's not enough to 'believe' in Christ. I'm not calling myself an authority but in the context of wider Christianity, Mormonism is an artifact that stands on its own. As I said, their religious documents place them apart, and there are far more examples than I have time to provide. But if you look at Baptists and Protestants, for instance, or even early Gnostics or Coptics, and compare them to each other, there are more similarities between them than any of those compared to Mormonism. The church founded by Joseph Smith and its denominations have their own definition of 'Christ,' but mean something very differnt. The rest of the kids can agree at least on history. Mormonism has a completely unique view of the history of Christ that cannot be supported at all, at all. It is a naive fiction to believe that all people who call themselves Christians really deep down inside believe the same thing, and Romney is exploiting that kind of thinking.

Posted by: justincredible | Dec 6, 2007 9:11:53 PM

20. I started reading but this is too much crap.
    Good that he knows what (God) makes a GOOD (!!!) American.
    He is so arrogant. He would do whatever is needed to become president and if needed he would change his faith first.
    Romney is not smart enough.
    Huckabee is more dangerours!

Posted by: Martin | Dec 6, 2007 10:19:19 PM

21. R.I.P. Separation of church and State...

Posted by: CK | Dec 7, 2007 9:08:30 AM

22. Justincredible, thanks for being so direct with your “Nope” answer. Mr. Romney may be exploiting a connection to Christianity in order to garner some votes…(duh!)…that’s politics. However, I would also add that Mr. Romney and other Mormons wouldn’t care to be categorized in your flavor of Christianity either. Mormons relish their uniqueness in spite of whether or not you think they have mainstream support. That’s their whole point…they are apart from the mainstream because they are the Restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ. Keyword: Restoration.

It’s a silly semantic point because Mr. Romney’s has bigger hurdles to jump over other than kowtowing to evangelicals. He has to explain his acceptance of racism in his Church’s history…and why there has never been an apology for it. Mr. Romney will have to assuage his Church’s relations with Jews who discovered their ancestors were baptized by proxy in Mormon Temples. Mr. Romney has to obfuscate the obvious hypocrisy of his Republican cohorts who screamed, “he’s a flip-flopper” at John Kerry four years ago… why he’s not just like Mr. Kerry.

Posted by: cowboy | Dec 7, 2007 5:03:40 PM