John F. Kennedy | Mitt Romney | News | Religion | Republican Party

Mitt Romney's JFK Photo Op: Fmr Governor, You're No Jack Kennedy

With all the Kennedy-Romney comparisons going on yesterday about Mitt Romney's "religion and the presidency" speech" Andrew Sullivan took a visual trip back into presidential imagery, and asks, was it staged?

Kennedy_romney

What do you think?

Not a doubt in my mind, although I was inspired to dig up the clip AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Interestingly, Mormons do not pray with their hands folded but with their arms folded. Just thought I'd mention that tidbit.

Posted by: phil | Dec 7, 2007 9:56:03 AM

2. Y'know, I really have to give props to Dan Quayle for keeping his calm and giving Bentsen that cold response: "That was really uncalled for, Senator." Obviously, Bentsen still ended up with the upper hand.

Posted by: Joel | Dec 7, 2007 10:03:18 AM

3. Lloyd Bentsen was a true texas gentleman with "gravitas," when having that quality was important. JFK had it too; as did LBJ.

after RAYGUN, BUSH1, and the Shrub, however, that quality has been lost. which brings us to mitt.

if the energy conglomerates were to tap romney's well-manicured ass, the US would no longer have to depend on OPEC.

my god, he is one smarmy, unctuous piece of work.

Posted by: nic | Dec 7, 2007 10:18:25 AM

4. In a June, 2007 New England Cable News (NECN) interview, Barney Frank said of Mitt Romney: "The real Romney is clearly an extraordinarily ambitious man with no perceivable political principle whatsover. He is the most intellectually dishonest human being in the history of politics."

Posted by: DENVERANDY | Dec 7, 2007 10:41:04 AM

5. What was it Bill Oh'Really said? It was an example of a one in a million good quote but it was something like, "he's got that grey thing going on with the sides and that means a lot in this country." I betcha it will. Reagan sucked big lots but if you didn't know anything about him and were in a room with him you'd just fall in love with the guy. And what a prick to compare himself to JFK in a picture like that.

I'm afraid of Mitt. Wow. A woman, a Muslim, a Mormon, and that little vampire man-mayor from New York. How WILL IT END!?

Posted by: justincredible | Dec 7, 2007 10:56:22 AM

6. JRK was gunned down for trying to bring civil rights to all people. This is the guy who dusted off those old discriminatory laws to keep gays from getting their civil rights. He's a Bizarro Kennedy! Kennedy stood for something. This guys stands for nothing. That comparison is disgusting. But yes. He does have very nice hair.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Dec 7, 2007 11:17:49 AM

7. JRK was gunned down for trying to bring civil rights to all people. This is the guy who dusted off those old discriminatory laws to keep gays from getting their civil rights. He's a Bizarro Kennedy! Kennedy stood for something. This guys stands for nothing. That comparison is disgusting. But yes. He does have very nice hair.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Dec 7, 2007 11:18:24 AM

8. Mitt the android does have nice hair, and, is a good looking man, too bad his heart is filled with hate for votes and is willing to be as divisive as his faith, and, can't tell how he really feels if asked, and really does not seem to have more of an intellectual bent as the current dimwit in office about life in the real world.

They really pray with their arms folded? Well, I guess when you believe in gold tablets found in a hay stack and translated as the book to follow, God has a wife and all the other quirks they have, none of this come's as a surprise.

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 7, 2007 11:39:36 AM

9. This photo is one nice piece of acting. He looks posed and completely unnatural. Is he supposed to look like he's praying or does he have gas? What a fraud.

Posted by: JJ | Dec 7, 2007 11:50:19 AM

10. JUSTINCREDIBLE, who's Muslim?

Have you been watching Faux News again?

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 7, 2007 11:53:23 AM

11. Mitt makes me so hot I can't stand it.

And his sons are even better looking than him...forget Kennedy (other than John Jr.)

Mitt at least has the GQ looks and doesn't seem nearly as stupid as Reagan was (and couldn't possibly do a worse job than the president we have now), though his beliefs seem kinda questionable at best.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 7, 2007 12:12:46 PM

12. Don't vote your loins, Jordan--unless you're in Massachusettes.

And my young friend, Mitt Romney comes no where close to John F. Kennedy in looks or character. Could you imagine Romney in JFK's situation in World War II?

Did Mormons serve during World War II? No, I mean, for the Allies.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 7, 2007 12:43:57 PM

13. Hey, justincredible!! Which one is the "muslim" candidate? If you're thinking of who I think you're thinking of, you need to stop watching FAUXNews and listening to Rushie-Poo. Otherwise, you become part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Posted by: mike | Dec 7, 2007 1:23:19 PM

14. LOL JFK was killed for civil rights? my ass, more likely for sleeping with the wrong woman, and bringing the world to the brink of destruction with the cuban missile crisis

anyway though I don't think he's the,"is the most intellectually dishonest human being in the history of politics." I do agree with Barney Frank that he is "extraordinarily ambitious" and not to be trusted. But all presidential candidates could be labeled as such, so it's like the pot calling the kettle black. I'll still back Guliani, despite his erotic flings and three wives. I've read his musings, and legal briefs and he is the smartest man on the field.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 7, 2007 1:45:46 PM

15. JFK had few principals either. He was "service" oriented with no strong convictions. His advisers, however, were for the most part very civil rights oriented. However, he hid his contradictions far better than Mitt.

Posted by: anon (gmail.com) | Dec 7, 2007 2:10:38 PM

16. I am attaching the comment I made on Mitt Romney's webpage. I hope his posse responds. Can't wait!

Dear Mr. Romney
    In your recent talks you mentioned that being of a different religion should be not criticized as being a negative attribute in the Presidential race. Rather, accepting you as a citizen and human being rather than a Morman is a show of tolerance. Please use that word carefully. You have the choice of being a Morman or not. I don't have the choice of being or not being gay. I just am. You should show tolerance for the LGBT community if you expect tolerance from those who shun you.

Posted by: Kai | Dec 7, 2007 2:35:39 PM

17. @TIM,
    it is clear that you know nothing.

@jordan,
    you keep embarrassing yourself. what's wrong w/u fruitfly?

Posted by: nic | Dec 7, 2007 2:57:24 PM

18. NIC,

don't be mean. Jordan's adorable, especially when he pulls his legs up and throws his feet behind the back of his head. JFK would appreciate such a physical achievement, the Mormon would pretend he didn't see it.
    Honesty and integrity: JFK had a little, gained more before they killed him. The Mormon had some, has lost it all trying to gain the Republican Presidential nomination.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 7, 2007 4:24:08 PM

19. Mike, Zeke, thanks! I'm glad you guys pointed that out and I'm admitting I thought Obama was, not that it mattered to me like the Mormon does. But you guys don't have to throw insults and say I watch Faux-news, even though I deserved it!

Posted by: justincredible | Dec 7, 2007 5:12:26 PM

20. Andy,
    Thanks once again for mentioning Uncle Donalds thecastro.net web-site in conjunction with the story about the store that is now in the location of Harvey Milk's camera shop. Harvey's store was like a small town's general store, without a potbelly stove. People came into the store at all hours of the day to discuss politics, pet Harvey's dog or to comment on the never ending supply of good looking guys passing in front of his store front window. The gay revolution might of started with Stonewall... but the message of Hope was born with Harvey's message to gay's everywhere, including the kid in Altoona,Pa.! And your web-site continues Harvey's spirit, along with new hope...
    Always,
    Thanks for being there for "Us"!

Posted by: jerry pritikin | Dec 7, 2007 6:38:01 PM

21. Andy,
    Always,
    Thanks for being there for "Us"!

Posted by: jerry pritikin | Dec 7, 2007 6:38:07 PM

22. NIC,
    I don't think I can feel embarrassment. Don't you have to have shame to feel that emotion?

As long as I go through life by purely superficial terms I'm sure I'll be ok (like many of our gay heroes - Karen Walker anyone?) It's worked for me so far!

I'm not about to worry my pretty self over silly problems like politics and things we can't do anything about or that I don't understand. I'd much rather chase hot beefy guys.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 7, 2007 7:58:41 PM

23. @derrick,

you're right.

@jordan,

bless your heart.

Posted by: nic | Dec 7, 2007 8:34:08 PM

24. To all of the above.......UGH!!!!!!!

Posted by: mattelboy | Dec 9, 2007 4:22:59 PM