Book: ‘Homophobic’ Tom Cruise Fled La Cage Aux Folles Performance

Cruise_cage

Slate scoured Andrew Morton’s new unauthorized biography of Tom Cruise and picked out the good parts. The book is said to put to rest the notion that Tom Cruise is gay, so let’s see what Slate found:

“Tom tried to impress [high school flame] Nancy [Armel] by taking her to the Broadway musical La Cage aux Folles, but he ‘was unaware of the story line—about two gay men living together in St. Tropez.’ According to Nancy, ‘he couldn’t handle it. We had to leave before the intermission. It really bothered him. He was definitely homophobic.'”

There you have it. Case closed.

A few more of their gems:

“Armel…also remembers fooling around in a parked car. She told Morton: ‘I was black and blue from the gearshift.'”

“Tom was uncomfortable around gay men. Those who saw him in the company of some of Nicole [Kidman’s] gay friends, who included designer John Galliano, noticed that he was awkward and ill at ease, much preferring the company of jocks who talked about football rather than fashion.”

“High-school girlfriend Diane Van Zoeren doesn’t give any credence to the ‘Tom is gay’ rumor: ‘I don’t get it. I find these stories just hard to believe. We romanced in my dad’s Oldsmobile doing what you are not supposed to.'”

The Condensed Tom Cruise [slate]

You may have missed…
Morton Tell-All Claims Tom Cruise is Scientology #2 [tr]

Comments

1. Wade says

Disclosure: I’ve never liked him. Think he’s a total wing nut.

He walked out of La Cage Aux Folles? Well that nails it then. Case closed.

Everyone knows that no one who has ever been “uncomfortable” with homosexuality could ever be gay.

2. woodroad34 says

Let’s see… going to a well-known, popular musical and NOT know what it’s about? Puhleeze, Mz Cruise. More than likely he saw an old trick and was afraid of being outed. He’s never been a great actor, he looks like a girl for a man in, what, his forties (kinda twinkie)? The gossip has never gone away…and I think there’s reason for it.

But as everyone one else has said, who cares about him? We don’t need a Britney in our camp. Let the straights have all the crazies.

3. Gay as life says

Poor dumb girls. Did they not see Jack Twist in the back of that car in Brokeback Mountain?

That said, I too can’t stand Tommy boy. I’ve never found him attractive, plus he’s homophobic. Next!

4. Derek says

When Tom Cruise was still Tommy Maypotter and living in Hillsdale, NJ – he outed two gay guys who lived in the neighborhood to everyone in town. Their gayness came to light to Tommy when he discovered that his best friend “Moony” was getting serviced regularly by one of the men. Their outing created such a uncomfortable living environment from their neighbors that they thought it best to move. Tommy was known to ride by their house on his ten speed and yell “faggots”. I know this story to be fact because I know the couple and to this day they loathe Mr. Cruise. He is a total ass and this comes as no surprise…

5. rudy says

Yup! That certainly proves to me that TinyTom is a self-loathing homophobe who has sex with men. Line the scientological trolls up: Tiny Tom; John Revolta; and Lil’ Willie Smith. Closet cases all. Thank Zenu that they claim to be straight (or at least “not gay”). I do not want them representing my family. The straights are welcome to them all.

6. Paul says

I always laugh at these dumb girls who will say…”oh, he can’t be, we have done it”. Lots of gay guys have been with women, that doesn’t mean jack. Lots of gay guys have been married too.
    who cares if Tom Cruise is or isn’t…but he certainly does fuel that fire but suing people everytime they say that he is. I loath him because of his arrogance. I mean, great he is an actor, I just don’t understand how someone should be worth that kind of money.

7. Jae says

I used to go out with guys all the time, and pretend I was disgusted by gays and lesbians too when I was younger…just because I didn’t want anyone to think otherwise about me

not saying tom is gay, simply stating the argument presented proves nothing

8. Zeke says

There are a number of things that lead me to believe that a person is not gay. Sleeping with women nor being homophobic aren’t in the top five reasons.

I think most gay men have slept with at least one woman in their life. Some have slept with a woman or women (sometimes many women) over many years before coming out.

Sadly, I think most gay men have also, at some point in their lives, been homophobic as well; especially in the years before coming out when they are fighting their truth. Some gay men seem to be very homophobic even after they come out.

Frankly, I would rather Tom Cruise’s crazy ass not be gay. I pray that he isn’t. I don’t want him on our side. However I find the reasons they list to prove his heterosexuality laughable!

9. pip says

Ok, here’s a story you can take with a pinch of salt if you like… I’m from Australia and I have a female friend who is in the entertainment industry (film editor) who says her male friend has done the deed with Mr Cruise. Apparently Cruise was in Aus on a junket for ‘The Last Samauri’. There is a well known gay celebrity journalist in Aus called Molly Meldrum. Meldrum and Cruise are friends. My film editor friend has a gay male friend who is also friends with Molly Meldrum. She says Meldrum had a party at which Cruise and her friend attended. Meldrum organised for her friend to be Cruise’s butt boy for the night. Cruise paid a few thousand. Her friend wasn’t allowed to touch Mr Cruise or kiss, just be the piece of ass Cruise tapped in a jacuzi whilst Meldrum watched (eww). I have no reason to doubt my friend’s story but you know, take it with a pinch of salt if you will.

10. mike says

See, the secret to Scientology after hundreds of thousands of dollars is: you’re not what they say you are because you’re not even if you think you might be because you can decide you’re not so if you don’t want to be then you can decide you’re not and if you decide you’re not, then you’re not. So, Tom-boy decided he’s not and to prove he’s not, he’s sued to show everybody he’s not because he’s not ever since he’s decided he’s not. The problem is who cares any more? A wing-nut is a wing-nut and Tom-Tom is definitely a wing-nut. Anybody who would walk away from a smart, sophisticated, funny, charming woman like Ms. Kidman is definitely loony.

11. mike says

12. Tucker says

Everything said sounds like someone who is trying very hard to suppress any homosexual feelings they have. It very much sounds like someone who is “trying too hard” to prove they’re straight – doing everything in their power to do “manly” things so no one can say otherwise. I too did naughty things with girls in a car, I too was married (now divorced), I too can talk football, I too am not a huge fan of musicals, but I am gay and was NEVER a homophobe. It just sounds like he’s trying to cover things up, however, the straight world can keep him – personally I think he’s a hack.

13. David says

Tom got gay friends and do work with gay like me (on Minority report), like Bryan Singer, etc.

WTF is this crap? I don’t even beleive this Cage aux Folles story.

Your ranting make me want to go straight.

Shut up and respect cruise for being a nice and open minded person.
    Oh yeah, I forgot, you don’t know him at all, you just read gossips.

14. David says

WTF is this crap? I don’t even beleive this Cage aux Folles story.

Your ranting make me want to go straight.

Shut up and respect cruise for being a nice and open minded person.
    Oh yeah, I forgot, you don’t know him at all, you just read gossips.

15. says

I’m not saying he is, i’m not saying he isn’t. But I acted just like that years before I came out. Even my gay college friends were certain I was straight because I was so quick and adamant about being uncomfortable around them. Of course I realize now that it was internalized homophobia, but at the time, I just knew I was terribly uncomfortable.