Brokeback Mountain | Deaths | Heath Ledger | John Gibson | News

FOX News Host John Gibson Apologizes for Heath Ledger Remarks

Following the outrage over homophobic and callous comments he made about the death of Heath Ledger, John Gibson apologized tonight on his radio show.

Tuesday night, as Think Progress noted, "Playing an audio clip of the iconic quote, 'I wish I knew how to quit you' from Ledger’s gay romance movie Brokeback Mountain, Gibson disdainfully quipped, 'Well, he found out how to quit you.' Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger said, 'We’re dead,' followed by his own, mocking 'We’re dead' before playing the clip again."

Gibson called Ledger a "weirdo" with a "serious drug problem" and suggested that Ledger killed himself because he had "a serious position in the (stock) market" or perhaps "watched the Clinton-Obama debate last night. I think he was an Edwards guy, cause he saw his Edwards guy was just completely irrelevant."

Last night, Gibson said he felt no need to apologize, but apparently the outrage, as well as an alert from GLAAD, prompted the clip you see above.

Comments

1. Not good enough for me. He only did so because the heat Fox got, keep it up until like Imus he is sent walking.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 24, 2008 8:25:57 PM

2. Too little. Too late. Complete lack of sincerity.

Posted by: Scott B. | Jan 24, 2008 8:26:24 PM

3. He did not apologize. He said he was sorry if some were offended by his remarks. This was not an apology. It did not genuinely come from his heart. I agree with Scott B. before me: Complete lack of sincerity.

Posted by: Luis from SF | Jan 24, 2008 8:38:33 PM

4. Someone this low, can't be taken serious. He is the joke!

Posted by: Rafael | Jan 24, 2008 8:40:58 PM

5. Reading from a monitor was never so evident on TV !
    I agree with Patrick : there is not trace of sincerity whatsoever...
    The GLAAD people are tough...even this guy had to back off!

Posted by: Jorge Florez | Jan 24, 2008 8:43:43 PM

6. That wasn't much of an apology. He could say, "Sorry to those that were offended, but to those that thought it was funny, keep listening there will be more."

Posted by: Ray | Jan 24, 2008 8:51:37 PM

7. He's sorry people took his comments as anti gay or insensitive but he is, apparently, not sorry he said it. What a jack ass. He should be fired. Immediately!

Posted by: Timothy | Jan 24, 2008 8:51:51 PM

8. You guys are correct...it wasn't an apology. An apology is when you say "I'm sorry I hurt your feelings", not "I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt".

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 24, 2008 9:00:56 PM

9. He was obviously FORCED to make this apology.

Now he needs to be FORCED to make a REAL apology.

He was fighting a smirk as he made this entire so-called apology.

He needs to be fired immediately. Go to GLAAD's web site to get the names and contact info on all the folks you need to call or write to insist on firing this mother.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Jan 24, 2008 9:11:49 PM

10. How is anyone supposed to believe this guy? His apology was forced and should not be accepted. Enough of this hate towards us! He wasn't even gay! We take 10 steps forward and then 50 steps back. Sad....

Posted by: Mark | Jan 24, 2008 9:18:06 PM

11. This was the equivalent of the bully apologizing to the bullied in front of the principal. The behavior is not going to change. It may get worse.

That's why the fury must continue.

Posted by: junior | Jan 24, 2008 9:25:31 PM

12. Step one, force Gibson/Fox to apologize. We succeeded. We know it was "forced" and not genuine, but we succeeded in making him apologize. Step two, get him fired. Step up the emails and keep up the fight.

Not so many years ago, we would not have gotten an apology. Baby steps...but do not let up!

Posted by: RB | Jan 24, 2008 9:25:36 PM

13. As I commented on an earlier post, this is the classic non-apology apology. He used the word "sorry" to express regret over how someone else felt, not in regards to his own actions. He takes no responsibility for those, and he shows no remorse.

Write the advertisers and tell them you won't buy or use their products that support his broadcasts.

Posted by: davitydave | Jan 24, 2008 9:27:49 PM

14. The other issue that bothers me is that the Advocate has not even covered this on their website yet. If what is one of the largest Gay Publications doesn't think this deserves to be front and center I am cancelling my subscription.

I contacted them about this yesterday and still nothing. Shame on the Advocate.

Posted by: Huss | Jan 24, 2008 9:32:47 PM

15. The whole idea of ordering somebody to make an apology is stupid and pointless. What really matters is what he thinks and we all know that hasn't changed.

The way of dealing with people like this is to avoid listening to or watching their shows.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 24, 2008 9:40:47 PM

16. well at least he did say he was sorry that heath is no longer alive and with us... and at least we did it guys, made him apologize... i am woman hear me roar...

Posted by: the queen | Jan 24, 2008 9:56:20 PM

17. Hey Andy

Australia has had it's own little taste on prominent Radio Station 2UE in Sydney.

Posted by: Simon | Jan 24, 2008 9:56:27 PM

18. The only way I will believe this is if he goes to like five days of anti-gay rehab. I am sure there are lots of clinics for that in LA these days.

Posted by: rich | Jan 24, 2008 9:59:58 PM

19. Phony sums it up for Us.

We'll head over to GLAAD and keep up the fury.

Al & Vin

Posted by: Maverick69 | Jan 24, 2008 10:00:18 PM

20. Its the classic "non-apology"apology, "i'm sorry if you were offended". BS. there aren't many people in this world I hate, and Gibson is fighting tooth and nail to get on that list.

Posted by: Zach | Jan 24, 2008 10:05:58 PM

21. He should absolutely be terminated. Imus was let go because his remarks were blatantly racist. Homophobic remarks by a person of influence should carry the same weight and repercussions. Sad and pathetic indeed.

Posted by: Will | Jan 24, 2008 10:37:56 PM

22. I have no interest in subjecting myself to this man's faux apology. I'd rather hear him eat razor blades.

Posted by: David D. | Jan 24, 2008 10:59:22 PM

23. He can still go fuck himself as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Tom | Jan 24, 2008 11:17:42 PM

24. Who gives a rat's ass if this rat's ass apologizes?

Posted by: Bernie | Jan 24, 2008 11:41:00 PM

25. That was an apology? It sounds like he his sorry only over the fact that someone took offense over his remarks, not for what he said. What a lying, right-wing, alcholic, douchebag. Hey Jon, I am sorry if those labels bother you.

Posted by: ramal | Jan 24, 2008 11:51:08 PM