Barack Obama | News | Television

Obama's Fave Character on The Wire: Gay 'Robin Hood' Omar

The_wire

Barack Obama talked to the Las Vegas Sun about his favorite TV show The Wire, and named Omar, who is perhaps one of the most interesting gay characters ever written for television, as his favorite:

"I gotta say Omar’s a great character. That’s not an endorsement. That is not an endorsement. He is not my favorite person. But he’s a fascinating character. He’s this gay gangster who only robs drug dealers, and then gives back. You know, he’s sort of a Robin Hood. And he’s the toughest, baddest guy on this show, but he’s gay, you know. And it’s really interesting. It’s a fascinating character."

SLOG has the full report, and a link to the audio interview.

Comments

1. Let's keep it civil, ladies. There are many people -- gay or otherwise -- who would find this television character interesting for the same reasons that Obama cites.

And for what it's worth, there is actually evidence behind the claim that Obama supporters are better educated and have higher income.

See this New York Times article with voter bloc strengths from the N.H. primary.

And see this survey from the Boston Globe:

Also, there are quite a few comments suggesting that Obama is homophobic. If you want to know his stance on LGBT rights, they are clearly outlined on his website, www.barackobama.com, for everyone to see. I personally find that they are very supportive of our community.

Posted by: Aaron | Jan 14, 2008 10:58:09 PM

2. Johnny, when you were dawdling on that Web site you so heartily recommend, that one that's whispering in your ear via daily emails, did you by any chance happen to notice this on their About Us page?

"The Center for American Progress is headed by John D. Podesta, former chief of staff to President William J. Clinton and a professor at Georgetown University Center of Law."

The CAP is widely regarded to be an arm of the Clinton campaign, so I'm not surprised to find a devoted reader like you spouting Clinton talking points at top volume.

Maybe you should consider getting your information from more objective sources—or at least feigning some awareness of the biases of your chosen media outlets. Just a thought.

Posted by: 24play | Jan 14, 2008 11:06:49 PM

3. Obama clearly thinks it's compelling that the biggest, baddest dude on this show is gay. Not sure what the big deal is. The "but" just means that the typical TV viewer doesn't normally think "gay" when you think urban gangster in an American TV show. It's worthy of a "but" in my book because it defies -- and expands/challenges -- viewer expectations.

And for those of you who somehow think Obama has a lesser commitment to gay rights than Clinton, let's not forget that Obama wants to 'fully' repeal the Defense of Marriage act. Sen. Clinton has publicly stated her desire to keep the part that says states don't have to recognize marriages that are legal in other states.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 14, 2008 11:15:22 PM

4. 24Play grow a brain. American Progress is just one of dozens of sites that I visit each week. I obtain news from numerous sources everyday but I reach my own conclusions because I understand how things work at a legal and technical level. And yes, I do happen to think that the Clintons are two of the most amazing individuals alive today. The depth of their combined experience is exactly what we need. I would love nothing more to see this country back to the level of prosperity it enjoyed during Bill Clinton's administration. And they need to be back in the White House tomorrow, not a year from now.

Few people understand the deep level of trouble this country is in. Up at the top of the media noise level are the idiots that are babbling about racist nonsense and minutia that will do nothing to put this country back on track. The fact is that the Bush administration has sold this country out at every level with conscious determination. That should be at the top of the news everyday. The President has committed treason at multiple levels and nobody is doing a damn thing about it! Everything has been for sale to the highest bidder since Bush took office. The national debt has nearly doubled in the past seven years and that debt is owed to our largest trading partners which are Saudi Arabia and China. This is why we have zero leverage with China in stopping the flow of toxic goods to this country. The Saudis are the largest sponsors of terrorism on the planet and we are helpless to stop them. The Republicans have sponsored legislation which has provided taxpayer subsidies to public companies to move millions of jobs off-shore, most of which will never be recovered. Along with those jobs went billions in tax revenue which can legally be banked in foreign countries tax free. This has left us in a severely weakened position in terms of jobs and tax revenues. The $50 billion plus in no bid contracts that were awarded to Halliburton, its subsidiaries and thousands of sub-contractors was done with great purpose in mind. There is a pay-off to Bush / Cheney coming in the hundreds of millions of dollars after they leave office. And for what? Cheney who masterminded this entire operation on behalf of Halliburtin, etal has both feet in the grave and he is worth at least $65 million today. This greedy pig needs more money? Are you aware that Halliburton has moved its corporate offices to Dubai to avoid the subpoena power of Congress? Yes, they have positioned themselves to be bullet proof once the current administration leaves office.

A major recession is upon us. States are hemorrhaging cash at staggering rates. California's shortfall is $14.5 billion annually and climbing. Bill Clinton left a $5.5 trillion surplus for funding Social Security and Medicare. Now all of that is gone. Our unfunded liability for this worthless war in Iraq exceeds $2 trillion and that assumed that we exited in December 2007! That is the OMB's estimate of mop up and care of the veterans through death. That figure increases by several hundred million each month.

The government is not functioning at any level, yet we are spending more money for bureaucracy per capita than at any time in the history of this country.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. And some Americans want to elect Obama just because he uses the word "change" in his campaign slogans? Obama doesn't have a clue as to how to fix anything. And the amazing question is why so many idiots in this country can't see that which is so blatantly obvious. He is a total buffoon. How many real world solutions have you heard him delineate? Virtually none. I watched an interview with him last night and the question was how are you going to fund higher education. His response was a $4,000 tax credit to college students and then they would have to join the Peace Corp for two years after they graduate. He really thought that one through. What a moron. Who the hell is going to do that?

This is my last response to your inane ramblings 24Play, which are representative of those who are not only uninformed, but do not have the cognitive ability to rationally analyze information.

And I can assure you that Obama has not a prayer in becoming the Democratic nominee, much less the President of the United States. With every passing day his empty words will continue to resonate until he self destructs.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Jan 15, 2008 12:32:05 AM

5. Johnny lane please cite 1 piece of progressive legislation that Bill supported (outside of the failed health care thing)

Bill couldn't pass repub legislation fast enough when in the white house.

Bill also took us into more armed conflicts (though shorter in duration) than Bush has.

Bill lied "is" is BS

Had more financial scandals then a whole bus load of repubs put together

It is beyond time to shut the book on the 20th century with no more bushs and or clintons in the white house.

Enough with bush clinton bush clinton

Hell next they will be foisting jeb on us after hillary and the chelsea will be of age after that and replace jeb

Enough

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jan 15, 2008 1:00:14 AM

6. Thanks for the long-winded summary, princess, but I'm thoroughly up on the news, so don't patronize me (or the rest of Andy's readers). And what exactly was all that about? Are you laboring under the delusion that all of Obama's supporters are Bush fans? Hardly. (And BTW, in New Hampshire Hillary got the largest part of the vote from people believing Bush is doing alright.)

You've made a fine case for replacing Bush. But that's not exactly difficult. Plus, you're preaching to the choir here. What you haven't even begun to do is make a reasoned case either for Clinton or against Obama.

All you seem to have going for you there is name calling (Obama's a "buffoon," a "moron." His supporters are "idiots.") Why don't you work on coming up with an actual case for Clinton (or at least against Obama)—really question why you believe what you so firmly believe, and maybe come to a conclusion based on facts instead of starting with a conclusion and grasping at any facts that might possibly, tangentially support it—and get back to me.

But then I'm not seeing any evidence of the cognitive abilities you seem to think all Obama supporters lack in your own wordy meanderings, so I won't get my hopes up. What I do see is a Bush-hater (justifiable, of course) who thinks the answer is a Clinton restoration. Call me crazy, but I think your brand of blind-sheep partisanship is part of the problem not the answer.

Posted by: 24play | Jan 15, 2008 1:11:50 AM

7. 24Play - You don't get it and you never will so I refuse to waste any more time responding to your idiocy. Simply put, the problems currently facing this country, primarily caused by this jackass we currently have for a President, cannot and will not be solved by a crack smoking nigger from Illinois with no experience. Now, do you get that? If not, perhaps that is what the two of you have in common.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Jan 15, 2008 3:32:33 AM

8. And one more thing. The President of BET - Black Entertainment Television (a black man) said EXACTLY that about your worthless Obama today in a rally for Hillary. I am not going to have a crack smoking anything in the Oval office and nobody with any sense that I have talked to is going to put up with it either.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Jan 15, 2008 3:39:31 AM

9. Thanks, Johnny. I had a pretty strong feeling that underneath all your irrelevant, illogical, scatterbrained, cut'n'paste, verbal diarrhea was just a wicked streak of racism. How very pedestrian.

But don't worry, I won't hold your sins against my accomplished junior senator and her dirtball husband.

And even though you're obviously incapable of reasoned argument, don't think your comments won't be in my thoughts in the coming months. When Hillary loses Nevada, then South Carolina, and just barely squeaks out a win in Florida, I'll be thinking of you, just as I will about a year from now, when Barry Hussein Obama, his beautiful, intelligent wife at his side, lightly places his brown hand on that bible held by Chief Justice Roberts and swears to protect and defend the constitution of these United States. I'll be thinking of you and your pathetic world view. And laughing my ass off.

Your time has passed, troglodyte.

P.S. BET president Johnson is not just any black man, he's Bush's favorite house negro (http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=3ecbba91-f447-455b-98a3-d92f522a4814). And he is deeply, deeply committed to the black community—committed to making every buck he can off of them.

Posted by: 24play | Jan 15, 2008 4:21:51 AM

10. Sounds like Towleroad has A LOT of Log Cabin Republicans on board. Too bad. But I like the comment: 'please say these words while clicking your heels three times, "President McCain, President Huckabee, President Romney...." just say those words over and over.' That concept--a Republican back in the White House--should give any one pause. But, I think that even in the gay community, racism and stupidity is alive and well. At least the stupidity, anyway. Must be all those party drugs, where you think everything is just fabulous, darling, and so what?

Posted by: mike | Jan 15, 2008 5:53:36 AM

11. Sounds like Towleroad has A LOT of Log Cabin Republicans on board. Too bad. But I like the comment: 'please say these words while clicking your heels three times, "President McCain, President Huckabee, President Romney...." just say those words over and over.' That concept--a Republican back in the White House--should give any one pause. But, I think that even in the gay community, racism and stupidity is alive and well. At least the stupidity, anyway. Must be all those party drugs, where you think everything is just fabulous, darling, and so what?

Posted by: mike | Jan 15, 2008 5:55:04 AM

12. "...a crack smoking nigger from Illinois..."

Extraordinary--and not in a good way...on a gay blog on Martin Luther King Jr's birthday--extraordianry.

I've been struggling, trying to figure why I'm a doubter in Barack Obama's chance for success. Johnny Lane, you just answered my questions: I'm afraid too many White Americans can't let go of the image of every black man as a "crack smoking nigger"--even one thought of as brilliant by many of his former classmates at Harvard Law School. You moved me a little closer to voting for Barack Obama in the Pennsylvania Primary, and I'm certainly voting for him in November if he becomes the first "crack smoking nigger" to win the Democratic nomination for president.

A brilliant biracial nigger with (maybe?)election-winning charisma, and a disciplined white dyke who's a strong leader--well, the Democratic Party is certainly diverse. I'm glad I'm a member.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 15, 2008 11:44:27 AM

13. Johnny-
    Wow. You were actually making a fairly coherent point about Obama's lack of experience. I was actually paying attention and finding a speck value in your argument, for some reason. But then you dumped it all in the toilet with one sentence. Good job. Racist ass.

On a more civil, intelligent note: The fact that this has become "Change vs. Experience" is laughable. How can I pick the candidate who talks of change, without decades of experience to back it up?

Because his lack of experience IS the change we need.

If years spent in Washington are like gold coins you can cash in at campaign time for "experience" credits, we're starting to realize that we would rather have the broke guy. And hallelujah.

This is about judgment and vision, not experience.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 15, 2008 11:59:37 AM

14. Johnny Lane it's 2008 hun-time to pull your moronic head out of your skanky shit filled ass, give it a good scrubbing and try to join the rest of society. If you keep your fucking mouth shut you might just be able to pass for a human being.

Posted by: Derek | Jan 15, 2008 1:24:54 PM