Desperate Housewives | News | Shawn Pyfrom | Television

The "Gay Math" of Desperate Housewives [[SPOILERS]]

Dh_2

[[SPOILERS]]

According to Desperate Housewives' "gay math" the guy on the left above is a 3 out of 10. Harsh.

What does that make creator Marc Cherry?

The final episode filmed before the writer's strike aired last night. In it, Bree attempted to pimp out Andrew (Shawn Pyfrom) by coercing him with a flat screen television to cock-tease her contractor so he would repair her home which was damaged by the recent tornado.

Said Tuc Watkins, who plays one half of Wisteria Lane's gay couple, when the series began: "Marc should be applauded for creating gay characters who aren't issue-oriented. A lot of the time, gay characters are known through issues — coming out or health problems. There are a few cliché gay jokes on Desperate Housewives. But Bob and Lee aren't stereotypical. They have horrible taste. They have a sense of humor. They're a little mean. They're certainly not PC."

You may have missed...
Actor Shawn Pyfrom on Playing Gay [tr]
Desperate Housewives Takes on Circumcision [tr]
Marc Cherry on Desperate Housewives' New Gay Couple [tr]

Comments

1. As much as I like Tuc Watkins (from Beggars and Choosers, not Desperate Housewives), I don't get his point: "They have horrible taste. They have a sense of humor. They're a little mean. They're certainly not PC". I thought that was one of the main gay stereotypes.

Posted by: EireKev | Jan 7, 2008 10:06:54 AM

2. I thought it would be Andrew that was the 4th dinner guest. I kinda liked that arc in the episode. Reminded me of what my mom tried to do to get cheap medical advise. Still don't like Susan, though.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jan 7, 2008 10:15:03 AM

3. Thank goodness I've never seen and episode of this show, "pimping" out someone to get your house fixed? Try calling your insurance company.

Maybe these writers on strike should stay on strike if this is all they can come up with, LOL!

Posted by: Sebastian | Jan 7, 2008 10:27:54 AM

4. Does anyone still watch this show?

Posted by: David | Jan 7, 2008 11:04:18 AM

5. Why hasn't GLAAD issued a media alert for Desperate Housewives and, specifically, Marc Cherry? He's creating the most homophobic, stereotyped, demeaning homosexuals on television.

Perhaps they're too busy preparing to give Cherry a Vanguard award...

Posted by: David B. | Jan 7, 2008 11:29:43 AM

6. I thought the story was hilarious, but I love Bree. Why didn't she just move to a hotel or the country club or something?

I didn't understand the whole gay math thing(of course, I hate math)... but I was watching the hot one anyway (is that Tuc?). His boyfriend is SO not hot tho'.

One of my friends said one of the points was younger guys pimping themselves out to older guys..I dunno, I've never had a prob with that.

Posted by: Jordan | Jan 7, 2008 11:35:05 AM

7. Homophobic? Stereotyped? Demeaning? Truth hurts some folks, I gather. Hate the show, hate the characters, hate Cherry. Fine. But don't tell me that these 2 characters don't personify a large portion of the gay "community". The ageism, the fat-phobia, the racism, the monumental shallowness of our so-called 'community' is a disgraceful truth that many gay men refuse to see, or at least admit out loud to themselves. That whole 'our friends are 9's and he's a 3' scene is the ultimate truth, especially the community in NYC's superficial swill-pot that is Chelsea. I hate Cherry's politics, but if he chooses to show some truth about gay men in a show ripe with heterosexual exaggerations, I say go for it. Just make sure it's funny.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Jan 7, 2008 12:38:23 PM

8. I didn't see any problem with the scene (I thought it was pretty funny, in fact). I think that people have to understand that with inclusion comes variety. Not every gay person on TV should be holier than thou but not everyone should be evil. I think the gay neighbors are a good in between.

Also, Bree wasn't pimping him out because she didn't have insurance money, she was doing it because all of the good contractors in the area were booked due to the tornado.

Posted by: junior | Jan 7, 2008 1:02:17 PM

9. I didnt get the 9 and the 3 thing. Is that some code for top and bottom or something?

The whole story was ridiculous, I thought.

And susan, sheish. I would have slapped the shit out of her...

Posted by: rich | Jan 7, 2008 1:04:28 PM

10. Proving that there's no accounting for taste, Mr. 3 of 10, whose name is J.C. MacKenzie, is waaaay hotter in my book than pretty boy Shawn Pyfrom.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 7, 2008 3:17:36 PM

11. I thought the episode was both hilarious and touching and quite enjoyed the arc with gun-toting Republican Bree having to resort to setting up a gay coupling so the contractor would feel better and agree to work for her.

I think he was a 3 not just because of his looks but because he was a pathetic loser of a character.

Posted by: Roger Newcomb | Jan 7, 2008 3:46:21 PM

12. God forbid a character's storyline bring attention to a real life issue.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 8, 2008 2:53:02 AM

13. Granted shows aren't real, but if you are friends with a plumber couldn't you ask him to hook you up with a decent contractor who wouldn't charge you an arm and a leg before you pimped out your son???

And to that, how does a plumber afford to live on the same street as a supermodel and an advertising executive???

That show is lame.

Posted by: RP | Jan 8, 2008 9:00:29 AM

14. I thought the scene was hilarious...think some of you just need to lighten up a little and just laugh.

Posted by: Phillip | Jan 8, 2008 9:54:11 AM

15. There are few well-adjusted characters on the show - it is sort of the point. The little gay story was cute. Let's not all get our panties in a knots landing now!

Posted by: Timothy | Jan 8, 2008 11:29:24 AM

16. the "gay math" concept was referring to when the one guy said something like (after Bree asked him to set up her contractor with one of his gay friends): "well [the contractor] is a three and most of my gay friends are nines, and in gay math, three doesn't go into nine."

Posted by: J | Jan 12, 2008 1:25:39 PM

17. the "gay math" concept was referring to when the one guy said something like (after Bree asked him to set up her contractor with one of his gay friends): "well [the contractor] is a three and most of my gay friends are nines, and in gay math, three doesn't go into nine."

Posted by: J | Jan 12, 2008 1:26:34 PM