Carl Stanley McGee | Deval Patrick | Massachusetts | News

Gay Aide to Massachusetts Gov. Patrick Charged with Sexual Assault

Carl Stanley McGee. a 38-year-old aide to Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, has been charged with sexually assaulting a 15-year-old male at a steam room in December at the Gasparilla Inn on the island of Boca Grande on Florida's west coast, the Boston Globe reports:

Mcgee"According to police reports, McGee was arrested Dec. 28 and accused of performing oral sex on the 15-year-old, who was a guest at The Gasparilla Inn & Club, a 95-year-old hotel and championship golf course in Boca Grande. McGee was held overnight on a $300,000 bond. Few state employees were aware of the arrest. An account had appeared in the local newspaper, the Boca Beacon. McGee's co-workers said they had been told he was out sick. McGee, whose annual salary is approximately $150,000, could not be reached for comment. His lawyer, Charles Rankin, did not return phone calls from the Globe."

Friends and supporters of McGee told the Globe they don't believe the incident happened. McGee allegedly masturbated and performed oral sex on the teenager, who later identified him to police.

The Globe adds: "McGee, a former Rhodes scholar and Harvard Law School graduate, was previously a corporate lawyer at the law firm WilmerHale. He was instrumental in the movement seeking to defeat efforts to overturn legalization of same-sex marriage, serving as director of the civic and business outreach efforts of the advocacy group MassEquality. A year after same-sex marriage became legal in Massachusetts in May 2004, McGee's wedding to John Finley IV was highlighted in the 'Vows' section of The New York Times. Former state senator Jarrett T. Barrios officiated."

McGee was placed on administrative leave January 7th and is scheduled to be arraigned on February 11th.

Key aide to Patrick accused of sex assault [boston globe]
Boston man faces assault charges [boca beacon]
(via wonkette)

Comments

1. I know pedophilia and adultery cut across every strata of society, but pinning both on one gay guy can not be good for our cause.

Good one, Stan!!

Posted by: hef | Feb 7, 2008 10:56:23 AM

2. This exact same thing (guy in his late 30s) happened to me when I was 15 and I never reported it. It wasn't exactly consensual but it wasn't forced either. I was just too young to know how to say no. But it didn't traumatize me; I just wanted to put it behind me.

Posted by: anonymous | Feb 7, 2008 10:56:27 AM

3. This guy just became a poster boy for anti-gay groups. Thanks, dick.

Posted by: Marco | Feb 7, 2008 11:05:56 AM

4. Don't worry, y'all, we got about 40 Republicans to counter this fool with. And what exactly was the "assault". Oh, the age of the boy. OK. Well, I forget, y'all never worked trade on city streets in the 70's & 80's. Hell, I would still be in jail today, and I NEVER was the aggressor, nor did the approaching. No proper queen does.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 7, 2008 11:12:57 AM

5. I will understand the desire to have sex with the underaged. Aren't adult men just HOTTER?

Posted by: Jeff NYC | Feb 7, 2008 11:14:25 AM

6. "Don't worry, y'all, we got about 40 Republicans to counter this fool with. And what exactly was the "assault". Oh, the age of the boy. OK. Well, I forget, y'all never worked trade on city streets in the 70's & 80's. Hell, I would still be in jail today, and I NEVER was the aggressor, nor did the approaching. No proper queen does.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 7, 2008 11:12:57 AM"

Do you ever tire of your
    stepin fetchit
    show?

Posted by: forreal | Feb 7, 2008 11:23:11 AM

7. I guess no one carries ID in a steamroom, and we dont know who initiated what, but some 15 yr olds look 20 and some look 12. Always best to err on the side of caution and dont touch!

Posted by: secretagentman | Feb 7, 2008 11:26:32 AM

8. I don't get how this creep can be considered "gay?" As a gay man, I have never once had the desire to have sex with a kid,and, a 15 year old is a child, this creep is a pedophile, and, should be called that as this is what confuses the public at large, that all gay men want boys, which just isn't true, that is a group of sick losers.

Posted by: Sebastian | Feb 7, 2008 11:26:46 AM

9. And another thing, have y'all looked at some of these fifteen year olds nowadays. Some of them are 6 feet tall weighing 200 lbs. I aint excusing the man because he's a Democrat and one of "ours", but let's be reasonable. Most fifteen year olds would knock the shit out of you if they didn't want to...oh, never mind.

Yes, he could've been an innocent, sensitive, passive youngster. Yeah. But when conservative Republicans get caught doing this stuff they're usually closeted homos who speak out against openly gay people--HYPOCRITES! or pitiful psychotic creatures...tap tap tap "your stall or mine"

Yes, "going down" on fifteen year olds is wrong, but in the "masculine mind" the boy still believes he's a man because there was no reciprocation. Usually, in the young guy's mind, "he's still a man, you're a fag." I'm not trying to justify such behavior, but I aint gonna' crucify anybody in THIS particular predicament. Now, forced or coerced sex, anal penetration on someone under the age of consent, or sex with the obviously very young---ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 7, 2008 11:37:04 AM

10. "Do you ever tire of your Stepin' Fechit show?"

No, Miss Ann, and you just keep readin', honey chile. Ah enjoys makin' trash feel like quality folk.

Posted by: Fetchit from Philly | Feb 7, 2008 11:58:11 AM

11. Don't forget that he's innocent until proven guilty.

Posted by: sam | Feb 7, 2008 12:00:08 PM

12. Mmmm... 15-year old in the steam room? Sounds fishy. What if this was some sort of entrapment? I remember a very muscular 16-year old neighbour cutting the grass in his speedo shorts.
    He was sweaty. I offered him a drink of water. We went inside since it was cooler. I admired his physique. He showed me what
    I had left to see. Mmmm...

Posted by: Chev | Feb 7, 2008 12:15:09 PM

13. The guy looked older, younger, whatever. It was a public steam room, not a bathhouse! The guy's a public official. Talk about stupidity. Come on, guys. Until we stop fucking around in public, out and proud or in the closet or "not gay" or whatever you want to call yourself, we're all going to end up looking like sex freaks. Check his ID and get a room!

Posted by: TroyTooner | Feb 7, 2008 12:23:29 PM

14. Why do some one here try to lessen the offense? He "may" have looked older, the kid was asking for it being in the steam room. Please. It was wrong, plain and simple.
    If he need to get off that badly why not just go to his room and rub one out instead of a PUBLIC area.

Posted by: tommy | Feb 7, 2008 12:31:25 PM

15. I'm glad that someone (Sam), has remembered that this is an allegation right now. There are only two people who know whether this is "true', and I don't think that they are posting on Towleroad right now. Let's just try remembering this before we start condemning people or taking positions.

Posted by: Brandon | Feb 7, 2008 12:38:37 PM

16. When I was 15 years old, I was seeking out (and having) sex with adult men. I loved it. But those sex acts proved to be fraught with anxiety for me when the HIV/AIDS epidemic hit about a year after I'd had been having sex with adults. That anxiety about HIV/AIDS was overwhelming to adults in that era, so it was much too much anxiety for a 15 year old to bear. When I look back at it now, I know that a 15 year old simply cannot make the decision to have sex with an adult (even if the 15 year old initiates) simply because a 15 year old cannot understand the consequences of the act.

What I'm getting at here is that I believe the 15 year in this case likely participated willingly in the act and accused McGee only later when he had second thoughts about his actions or perhaps when someone else caught them in the steamroom (if that was the case). Most 15 year olds would simply get up and walk out of a steamroom if a man started masturbating in front of them. It would not normally get to the point of the underage kid's cock in the adult's mouth unless A) force was involved B) the 15 year was develpmentally disabled C) the 15 year was willing to have sex. This article has not mentioned force or developmental delay, so I'm guessing the 15 year old was willing in the moment and only later regretted his participation.

And lest anyone miss my point, let me be very clear that McGee should have never had sex with a 15 year old. It is wrong to engage in sexual behavior with anyone who you think even might be underage. And despite what some of the posters here have said about today's 15 year olds looking mature, I disagree. A few years ago I had an internship in which I was working in a high school setting. Out of a couple of hundred students I would say that only 2 or 3 of the male students could have passed for being over the age of 18 (and those were the 17 year olds). The rest of them were clearly underage.

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 7, 2008 12:51:32 PM

17. True story.

YEARS ago while on vacation in Arizona I had a very attractive young man aggressively coming on to me while I was soaking in the hotel hot tub. He was tall and very muscular. I guessed that he was about 18 or 19 years old, probably a college freshman. He was VERY sexually aggressive saying things that even made this Marine blush and trying to touch me under the water. He told me that he was 19 years old, he went to UCLA and that he was in town with friends for the weekend. I told him that I was in a committed and monogamous relationship and even if I wasn't I wouldn't be interested in him sexually because I wasn't generally attracted younger men. He wouldn't stop his unwelcomed advances so I excused myself, went back to my room and told my partner what had happened. Later I discovered that he was at the Hotel with his parents and that he was actually FIFTEEN years old! I couldn’t f’n believe it. All I could think was, how many people would have gone for his advances and found them in jail when in fact they weren't pedophiles at all. Then I started thinking about how vulnerable I was if this kid decided to take offense to my turning him down and then tell his parents that I had made advances on HIM. From that day forward I have been VERY conscious of being alone with minors and that really sucks when you have a 13 year old child of your own who constantly has friends around.

With my experience in mind I think more needs to be known about this case before people pass judgment. My reservations have nothing to do with the fact that the man is a Democrat. I would have given Foley the same benefit of the doubt had it not been clear that he knew EXACTLY how old the aid was because he knew him personally, professionally and for a period of time before he made advances on him. Now, if it's discovered that the claims against McGee are true and that he knew, or suspected, the age of the kid, then all bets are off.

On a lighter note: That man is 38 years old? Jesus, he looks like he's 58 years old. He looks like that guy on Project Runway, uhn kaaaaaaay.

Posted by: ZEKE | Feb 7, 2008 1:03:50 PM

18. Why was a 15 yo in the steam room in the first place?

Posted by: Michael | Feb 7, 2008 1:05:04 PM

19. I didn't notice that the article said the alleged offense happened AT a public steam room. I agree with others here that regardless of the details it's inappropriate for people to have sex in the public steam room of a Hotel that doesn't specifically cater to that sort of thing. If people want to have sex in the steam room of a Hotel then they should stay at a specialty ADULT-ONLY guest house/hotel/motel where everyone knows about, has no issue with and expects such behavior and there will be no chance of having sex with a fifteen year old who looks nineteen.

Posted by: ZEKE | Feb 7, 2008 1:13:55 PM

20. It's nothing that wouldn't have happened had it been an older, straight, married guy and a hot young underage girl.

Posted by: what?? | Feb 7, 2008 1:22:46 PM

21. Thanks, Zeke & PeterParker:

You've said in a much clearer way than I (with my Stepin' Fetchit show) was trying to get at.

FORREAL: when I do my "Stepin' Fetchit (Lincoln Perry was his real name) show" it is an attempt to write the way I speak. I do not speak to friends in standard English--I try to use it at work, visiting some office, dealing with strangers, etc.--but not with friends. What I first noticed about these blogs 5 years ago is that many posters seem to write the way they speak. I was entertained by that style, and so I attempted it-- especially when giving a personal life anecdote to make a point.

FORREAL, if you are white, I found your comment racially offensive and pretentious. If you are black, I found your comment personally offensive and pretentious.

People throw around the "Stepin' Fetchit" criticism too often. Often they are people who've never seen his work in old Hollywood movies and know little of his career. They use it not only to criticize/insult in the black community, gays also use it to compare the ALLEDGED damage "stereotypical" queens do to the image of gay men. Those who do that are pompous bitches (black or gay) who take themselves too seriously. Stepin' Fetchit was a masterful comedian who played his "dimwitted" character in front of black audiences as well as white. I used the same writing style on Keith Boykin's blog as I do here on Andy Towle's--Kinda' like Stepin' Fetchit, aint that right, Miss Ann?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 7, 2008 2:09:26 PM

22. Derrick, I think the "Stepin Fetchit" reference had nothing to do with Stepin Fetchit specifically, he was just saying that you often sound like a fool and it frequently undercuts your arguments, which are often valid. Why should anyone have to cut through your slang-the most important thing is the point you are making, not entertaining yourself with 'how you talk'.

And I'm black-and I resent the idea that there is one black way to talk and if you dont talk/write a certain way, you are pretentious.

Posted by: Charles | Feb 7, 2008 2:16:11 PM

23. I don't care what the young man looked like or even if he consented, any adult who engages in sexual activity with young people has issues. And, as a community, if we are going to endorse this behavior, either with excuses ('maybe the kid doesn't look 15', 'maybe he wanted it', 'straight people do it', 'what's a 15 y.o. doing in a sauna?') or simply by dismissing it as 'something that happens', then we don't get to be offended by negative and false stereotypes (like gays being pedophiles and predators).

If that boy were your child, only a parent who didn't care would be so friggin' nonchalant, regardless of the circumstances.

We need to strive for a higher standard, not a double standard - for our own sakes, not because it makes straights feel better about us.

And, if Mr. McGee is guilty then he needs to join his brethren in prison.

Posted by: Christian | Feb 7, 2008 2:16:54 PM

24. Charles,

you know that one can sound like a fool and never use slang or vernacular. We recently had a poster who speaks/writes standard English who called Barack Obama "a crack smoking nigger." It wasn't how he said, it was what he said that made him sound like a fool. There are many folks who have something insightful/ useful to say, but don't speak standard English.

I know many black people who do not speak using slang, or one of the various black vernaculars, or Ebonics. You obviously don't use them, and I respect your use of language and the writing style that you are comfortable with. I do not expect any black, southern white, Latino, Asian, gay person to speak in a way that is uncomfortable for them just for the "effect"-- unless they want to, and everybody's laughing with them not at them. Charles, I don't only post to amuse myself, other posters have been amused at my non-serious comments. For the ones who have not, just ignore them. Why start a nasty exchange?

When I said FORREAL's comment was "pretentious" I'm sayin', don't be a FOOL in how you insult me about my use of a certain vernacular in my speaking/writing style. If you know it's DELIBERATE then you question me, don't insult me. If one wants to ask me, "why do you speak like a 1970s stereotypical effeminate black queen, constantly using "aint" and the southern contraction 'y'all'?"--then ask me that. They are my special effects, honey. Of course, it also depends on the seriousness of the topic. So, as for FORREAL'S "Stepin' Fetchit" comparison: oh, yes, that was about the stereotypical image of the effeminate queen in the gay world. And you must know what vile language & counter insults I'd use to respond to gay men who feel that way.

I've never initiated personal attack or name-callin' on this or any blog, but I will respond to it--even though, not being face to face, it's rather foolish, isn'...I mean, aint it?

Andy, I'm really sorry about taking up so much space on the blog today with this personal defense, but Lord knows, you're used to this type of unnecessary...personal discourse, and you've tolerated it as "free speech" I suppose. Thanks

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 7, 2008 3:56:11 PM

25. I agree with Christian...

the only thing worse than hearing these types of stories is the reaction of some gay men who try to dismiss it as not true or worse, blame the kid. It doesn't matter if he looked 15 or 115, it's still statutory rape.

Secondly this guy is married to a man in Massachusetts and was supposedly act in fighting against anti-gay legislation. I mean, if this guy doesn't re-ignite the ol' "gay men are pedophiles" then I don't know who does....

this is just sickening and no amount of rationalizing by others will change that.

Posted by: Rodney | Feb 7, 2008 4:13:13 PM