Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Election 2008 | Music Video | News | Will.i.am

Stars Line Up to Take Part in Will.i.am - Dylan Music Video for Obama

Director Jesse Dylan (Bob Dylan's son) and the Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am have put together a new ballad for Barack Obama that has taken the internet by storm. The lyrics were adapted from Obama's "Yes I Can" speech following the New Hampshire primary. Tatyana Ali, John Legend, Nick Cannon, Herbie Hancock, Common, Kate Walsh, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and Scarlett Johansson are among the stars that feature in the sung/spoken word hybrid. The Obama campaign had no role in creating the video.

Will.i.am told ABC News: "Obama's speech made me reflect on the freedoms I have, going to school where I went to school, and the people that came before Obama like Martin Luther King, presidents like Abraham Lincoln that paved the way for me to be sitting here on ABCNews and making a song from Obama's speech...I'm blown away by how many people wanted to come and be a part of it in a short amount of time. It was all out of love and hope for change and really representing America and looking at the world."

Will.i.am also wrote a piece over the weekend for the Huffington Post on why he decided to record "Yes We Can".

Why I Recorded Yes We Can [huffpo]
New Celeb-Filled Music Video for Obama [abc news]

Comments

1. Oh. My. God. That was magnificent. Thanks.

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Feb 4, 2008 8:46:52 AM

2. I have spent the weekend reading comments on major blogs including the New York Times about Super Tuesday. An overwhelming number of people are backing Clinton. The second coming of Oprah is a major backlash and people do not appreciate her input. Many are laughing at the Ted Kennedy endorsement and praising the younger generation of the Kennedy family for endorsing Clinton. Many cite Obama's lack of any substantive plan to get this country back on track. He can make an inspirational speech but anything past that rings hollow. I have no doubt that Hillary Clinton will win the Democratic nomination.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 4, 2008 8:54:14 AM

3. Andy, Barack didn't win the NH primary. Thanks for posting this though, it is magnificent.

Posted by: JOHN | Feb 4, 2008 8:54:40 AM

4. Andy, Barack didn't win the NH primary. Thanks for posting this though, it is magnificent.

Posted by: JOHN | Feb 4, 2008 8:55:53 AM

5. Stars? Those are stars? While I appreciate Will.i.am's sentiment, short of Scarlett Johannson and John Legend, I wouldn't say that is anything but a line up of C-List celebrities supporting another B-list recording artist. Too bad unlike Will.i.am, Obama isn't really willing to recognize anything he got from his mama.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 4, 2008 9:34:48 AM

6. Robert

You must be living in a fantasy world. All the latest polls have Obama going from being behind Clinton by double digits pre SC to a statistacal TIE. Either a tie tie or within margin of error (her ahead 1-3 or him ahead 1-3% which is equal to margin of error and means a tie)

All news pundits even George Stephenopolus (worked for the clintons)stated on Sunday news shows that the Teddy kenedy endorsment helped give him his boost.

Support clinton all you want, but don't lie.

John, NH is still being recounted and a few vote disrcepincies on both sides have been found.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 4, 2008 9:41:53 AM

7. PS ALEX

BS

Obama talks about his mixed heritage constantly.

Support Hillary all you want, but stop the lieing

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 4, 2008 9:44:35 AM

8. To JimmyBoyo - a/k/a - The kid who can't read. Read what I wrote again. Did I reference any polls? I read thousands of COMMENT POSTS. And yes I do mean thousands. And I stand by what I say. Obama is NOT going to win this. The polls have been total inaccurate this season and there is a good reason for it. People give one answer and vote the opposite way. They don't want to be labeled a racist or labeled as such in a database. So with respect to this political season, the polls do not reflect voter sentiment. And you would know that if you were paying attention. Your fantasy will end when the election results are tallied tomorrow night.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 4, 2008 10:03:36 AM

9. Alex, I don't know where you get your information from, but Obama has always given credit to his mother. Read his book, or listen to his interviews. He credits her with giving him a sense of self. She taught him to find his own identitiy, and not take on the one placed on him by a bigoted society or the media. She taught him about all religions, and let him pick one for himself. She taught him to be proud of his heritage and who he is. There's nothing about him or what he has said that would lead anyone to believe that he doesn't cheerish the gifts that his mother gave him.

Posted by: Cadence | Feb 4, 2008 10:16:00 AM

10. Great video-it does make my heart feel good ..Yes We Can- Or Si Se Puede. But I am 100% sure that what the country needs right now is more than good speeches. Hillary All the Way boys! We need the experience!

Posted by: Jack | Feb 4, 2008 10:19:34 AM

11. I really enjoyed the video. It was very well done and quite inspirational.

I personally believe the country would be in good hands if either of these candidates became President.

I have serious concerns about Clinton's electability because, fair or not, like it or not, she has been saddled with tons of baggage that she just can't shake. I personally side with the people who say it's unfair but that doesn't change the facts on the ground. I would feel more comfortable if we were seeing that she was drawing more support from men, moderates and the all important independents. NO ONE can win a national election without pulling the majority of at least two of three of those categories.

I was an Edwards supporter until he left the race. Now I am heavily leaning toward Obama. Whoever gets the Big D nomination will get my FULL support. It truly is life or death as far as I'm concerned at this point. The Supreme Court hangs in the balance by a thin thread. I preached this to gay people in 2000 AND 2004 but had MANY tell me that they weren't going to vote because their vote wouldn't matter anyway. Well, that may have been true somewhere else and sometime else but we're talking about FLORIDA in 2000! If every person who told me they weren't going to vote or that they were voting for Nader in protest because it wasn't going to matter anyway had vote Gore, what a different American and a different world it would be today.

I'm just glad that the two Democratic candidates are being more civil and responsible with each other. I was afraid that we were going to knock ourselves out before we ever faced the Republicans.

Posted by: ZEKE | Feb 4, 2008 10:21:10 AM

12. Sorry for not proofreading before posting.

That was very sloppily typed.

Posted by: ZEKE | Feb 4, 2008 10:25:00 AM

13. Yes, let’s leave the lying where it’s been working miracles: coming from the mouth of Sen. Obama.

In his attempt at McClurkingate damage control in his interview with “The Advocate,” Sen. Obama said that he, “was a chief cosponsor of and then passed“ “the human rights ordinance in Illinois.”

TRUTH: He was not a cosponsor of any kind of the bill that finally came to a vote nor was he even still a member of the legislature when that historic bill was voted on after over thirty years of similar attempts. [To the contrary, his replacement Sen. Kwame Raoul became a cosponsor and voted for it. One less vote and it would have died, as did the three earlier bills that he did belatedly cosponsor after four years in the state legislature .] Neither Equality Illinois nor "Windy City Times," in their reports on the by-a-hair victory, mention any efforts on Obama’s part to even speak for it.

It’s obvious why he lied, but one can only speculate why he chose not to pause his campaigning for US Senate for the few seconds it would have taken to sign onto the bill at a time when he was most needed. Could there be a correlation with his promising at least twice after being sent to DC that he would not run for President but serve out his six-year term? I guess that’s some other Barack Obama on Tuesday’s ballot. But it was that one who lied to “The Advocate” who were too lazy to fact check his claim.

SOURCE: Advocate Obama interview: http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid50021.asp

SOURCE: official Illinois legislature timeline of SB3186: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3186&GAID=3&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=11145&SessionID=3&GA=93

Wiser men than I will have to decide whether his trumpeting that his support for “full repeal of DOMA” makes him more gay-friendly than Sen. Clinton is a lie or just a “half truth.”

FULL TRUTH: According to an August 11, 2007, ABC News online story: “Obama believes states should be under no obligation to recognize same-sex marriages from other states. He wants to fully repeal DOMA, however, because he views the statute as ‘ineffectual and redundant’, in the words of [Obama supporter and his former Constitutional law professor] Tribe. Obama believes a long-recognized public policy exception to the Constitution's Full Faith and Credit Clause exempts a state from having to recognize a same-sex marriage from another state which runs counter to its own public policies. ‘Marriage is not something that states have ever been obliged to recognize if it's been against their own public policy’, said Tribe, who has testified on the subject before Congress. ‘Same-sex couples [for instance] in Massachusetts are neither better nor worse off with DOMA repealed except that the repeal of DOMA is a way of telling that couple that their marriage in Massachusetts is not going to be made the subject of a symbolic and ineffectual slam by the federal government’."

Though sent out by the Obama campaign to attack Sen. Clinton for something they called a “symbolic insult” [wonder what they think of “to be Lanced”?], Tribe seems to have been rushed back to the bowels of Obama campaign headquarters after revealing too much. Not that a hypnotized gay media noticed.

SOURCE: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3468949&page=1

As for Obama’s mixed race parents, it is that unique heritage and the fact that they could have once been lynched or sent to prison that makes his opposition to gay marriage equality equally insulting and stomach turning compared to any of the other candidates—even more than the fact that he lamely excuses it by saying the word has become too “entangled” with religion when he’s actually going against his own denomination, the United Church of Christ, which SUPPORTS marriage equality.

Far more than huckster Huckabee’s need to hear Ryan White’s mother talk about AIDS, Sen. Obama should at least read the statement by African-American Mildred Loving last year on the 40th Anniversary of her and her white husband’s Supreme Court case that overturned decades-old laws banning interracial marriage forever:

“Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don’t think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the “wrong kind of person” for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people’s civil rights. I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.”

What are you about, Sen. Obama? Apparently, Hope and Change and “Yes, we can!” stops outside the doors of gay men and women who love each other.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Feb 4, 2008 10:30:03 AM

14. Robert

aka the internet chat board comment guru vs real news pundits

Dude, you are basing your view off of comments on the internet and not news articles?

LOL

Every news source and pundit is saying this is not over after super tuesday except for the repubs. the dems are going to fight it out delegate by delegate to the convention barring one or the other in bead with a dead puppy or eating babies.

LOL Kid

yeah lets put credence in internet comment boards vs actual NEWS papers, news sources, and political pundits.

LOL

I know I am crazy as a loon, but you robert give a whole new definition to the word.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 4, 2008 10:56:52 AM

15. I like the video a lot!
    I'm registered 'unaffiliated' -- so I can't vote in my state's primary... but I'd vote for Obama if I could. Although, I would vote for Clinton in the general election if she wins the nomination.

Posted by: marco | Feb 4, 2008 1:17:06 PM

16. Yeah, I have to totally agree with JimmyBoyo on this one. Robert, your an idiot if you are basing your sources on comments in blogs. I know they polls are not 100% reliable, but making your claim that nobody is in favor of Obama because of comments you're reading in blogs is pretty sad. And I have a feeling that most of the blogs you're reading are predominately gay blogs, which are heavily in favor of Hillary (for reasons I just cannot understand). I think you're going to be in for a HUGE awakening tomorrow night.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 4, 2008 1:37:10 PM

17. Rob, I will chalk you up to one more guy who just can't read. My comment says, "major blogs including the New York Times." And no, I did not read a single gay blog. Towleroad is the ONLY gay blog that I read. You are in for a big surprise. The backlash against Obama as a direct result of having Oprah go on the stump for him is astounding. People say they can think for themselves and don't need her input. Others say she is only backing him because he is black. One thing for sure, a lot of people are outraged over her involvement. There are an equal number of negative comments concerning Obamas lack of experience. And that is really what it comes down to. Obama is simply not qualified to lead a this country out of the deplorable condition George Bush has created. Why can't you understand that? It has been blatantly obvious from the beginning of this campaign. Tune in for the results Tuesday night. Hillary will be our next President.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 4, 2008 2:17:08 PM

18. Robert, can you post some links to the comments in the blogs that you are citing? Thanks.

Posted by: Sami | Feb 4, 2008 3:22:54 PM

19. Robert

NYT blog is just another blog where any and every crazy posts sh@t

LOL

Try again kid

Like I said, I am as crazy as a loon but DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on now

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 4, 2008 4:08:37 PM

20. Oh Robert, I don't know why I even bother with you (since you're probably some 14 year old kid who can't even vote) but since its a slow Monday at work, I decided to check out the NY Times to read some of these "overwhelming number of people" who are backing Hillary. Dude, I think its you who cannot read. Though there were a few Hillary fanatics, I would say about 75% of the comments were definitely pro-Obama. But again, even if there were more Hillary comments, that represents nothing about the mood of the nation, which is clearly surging toward Obama.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 4, 2008 4:33:10 PM

21. Aw - that stuff is so sweet!

Posted by: oakling | Feb 11, 2008 5:32:44 PM