Ashton Kutcher | Barack Obama | Brazil | Crime | Dallas | Dolce & Gabbana | Election 2008 | Great Britain | Hockey | India | Madonna | Miami beach | News | Pennsylvania | Playing Gay | Project Runway | Taylor Kitsch

BigGayDeal.com

News: Richard Zednik, Obama Security, Taylor Kitsch, Hepatitis A

road.jpg Jason Rae, the nation's youngest superdelegate who also happens to be gay and was heavily wooed by the Clinton camp, has decided to endorse Obama. Rae: "The Democratic Party is fortunate to have two very talented individuals running for President this election. It is a difficult choice for anyone, but in the end, the choice for me has become clear. I am proudly supporting Senator Barack Obama."

Madonnaroad.jpg Madonna, Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Eric Dane and others in Hepatitis A scare at trendy New York hotspot Socialista — told to get vaccinated immediately.

road.jpg Friday Night Lights Taylor Kitsch the latest stud to join X-Men Origins : Wolverine starring Hugh Jackman.

road.jpg Project Runway stars reunite, dish the dirt before season finale.

road.jpg State College, Pennsylvania Mayor Bill Welch to preside at same-sex commitment ceremony of six gay and lesbian couples: "'All of them have been together for several years and are actively committed to their partners,' said [Tom] Koerber, co-director of the university Coalition of LGBTA Graduate Students. The coalition has scheduled the ceremony to coincide with the start of Pride Week, an annual week when gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students — along with straight allies — drum up pride in their community."

Siddharthroad.jpg Bollywood actor Siddharth speaks out on playing gay roles: "I think we are a homophobic country and I believe the media’s insensitive sensationalisation of the issue is largely responsible for this. As an actor I play roles based on reality. Sexual orientation is a natural and personal choice. I see no reason for it to affect my decision to accept a project. I have close friends who are gay, and they are as intelligent and caring as, if not more than, my heterosexual friends. I think it’s time we started respecting them and giving them their much-deserved freedom to just be themselves."

road.jpg Officers surprised by order to stop security screening in Dallas more than an hour before Obama took the stage: "The order to put down the metal detectors and stop checking purses and laptop bags came as a surprise to several Dallas police officers who said they believed it was a lapse in security. Dallas Deputy Police Chief T.W. Lawrence, head of the Police Department's homeland security and special operations divisions, said the order -- apparently made by the U.S. Secret Service -- was meant to speed up the long lines outside and fill the arena's vacant seats before Obama came on. 'Sure,' said Lawrence, when asked if he was concerned by the great number of people who had gotten into the building without being checked. But, he added, the turnout of more than 17,000 people seemed to be a 'friendly crowd.'"

Zednikroad.jpg Hockey player Richard Zednik, whose carotid artery as you may remember was ripped open by a skate blade, speaks to the media: "When I saw the blood, I knew I had to get up. I got to the trainers and said it's up to them now."

road.jpg Dolce & Gabbana's new collection trashed by buyers: "If I was on a blind-date and a girl answered the door dressed like that, I'd say I was gay and looking for my boyfriend's apartment."

road.jpg Miami Beach prepares for annual Winter Party: ''When the Task Force took over Winter Party, one of the missions was to make sure it was not just a [men's] circuit party but a series of events to reach out to . . . the entire spectrum of the community. Transgender people, LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender] families and youth. We don't have a pride celebration in Miami. This is about the closest thing we have to it.''

road.jpg 29-year-old who stabbed gay man to death in public toilet in Britain appears in court: "Mr Akers, a retired accountant from Wallington, was found stabbed in public toilets in Walton Lane, just off Walton Bridge about 3pm on Tuesday. He died later in hospital. Mr Akers, from Wallington, had a male partner who he had been living with for 22 years. A postmortem examination held at the Royal Surrey County Hospital revealed the cause of death as a single stab wound to the back ."

road.jpg 27-year-old in Brazil ordered to pay fine of $8,500 for using 'fag' slur and throwing beer can at gay man: "It is the first time this fine is put into practice by the State since the creation of law nº 10.948 back in 2001."

Comments

1. No, Siddharth, sexual orientation is not a "natural and personal choice" for gay men. How can gay men choose to be gay when there is no other "choice"? It's not like they woke up and said, "I feel like going to bed with a woman, but maybe I'll go to bed with a guy instead. I just can't decide."

Posted by: Not a choice | Feb 22, 2008 1:45:09 PM

2. Does anyone else have a nagging feeling that Obama is going to be assasinated?

Posted by: stevo | Feb 22, 2008 2:07:47 PM

3. This is in response to "NOT A CHOICE": Siddharth probably did not intend the word 'choice' as you have interpreted. You have to realize that this is India where the 'choice' debate does not exist. In fact, homosexuality is mostly invisible and, in fact, illegal on paper. I think it is already brave of him to be candid and supportive about it. Most Bollywood actors shirk the topic in fear of alienating fans.

And yes, he is cute!

Posted by: Darbari | Feb 22, 2008 2:19:42 PM

4. Hey "Not a choice" Lighten up! - Siddharth was actually speaking in support of the gay community. Like anything taken out of context the meaning of a set of words can be changed, however taken in context with the rest of what was quoted it is clear that Siddharth is speaking in support of a persons freedom to live as they are. Personally I like his philosophy of live and let live. I think you are being a little sensitive, and it may be better to direct your anger at people who speak out against our right to live as we are rather than condemn a supporter on the basis of semantics. Also I think that he is actually saying that being Gay is natural, and is a personal matter not one that should be dictaetd by the public domain, I do not think that he was suggesting that we as gay people have a choice as to whether we are gay or not. Peace & all that :-)

Posted by: Matt | Feb 22, 2008 2:21:20 PM

5. As much as I have made it plain that I hope Obama does not get the nomination [but an unlikely joint ticket would be fabulous], I am speechless at the story about the Secret Service essentially throwing away his protection! Forget, the concerns "in this day and age," expressed by one cop, it was DALLAS people! Hellooooo. JFK! Lee Harvey Oswald! Jackie in a beautiful Chanelish pink suit with the President's brains splattered across it!

And before the TexASSes weigh in, the point is not that there are more loons or racists in Dallas, though I betcha there are, Blanche Water, but the attraction such crazies have, wherever they're actually from, to the greater attention they'd get tying two events together.

So much for legendary Texas lawmen balls [and I've run into them—and not in the good way]. I would have said, "I don't give an armadillo's ass what agency you work for, Sparky! You wanna take the metal detectors down, do it yourself, but just gimme a second to go fetch the TV camera crews!" What's Sparky gonna do—arrest the sheriff for protecting a Presidential candidate TOO much?

Understandably not mentioned a lot in the press for fear of contributing to self-fulfilling prophesy, but in the days when most black voters were still supporting Sen. Clinton, one of the reasons some gave was that they feared helping a black man rise up to that level would only result in his being killed.

I still feel sexism will trump racism is this election, but given the criminally negligent stupidity evidence by those Secret Servicemen who are supposed to be the best and the brightest makes even jaded old me weep for the basement level intelligence of some people. Not a week has gone by lately without me fearing waking up at least one morning to hear that either O or H had been shot. The level of emotions swirling around this election are dangerously high. Now this!

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Feb 22, 2008 2:44:44 PM

6. There were several posts and comments here a few minutes ago and now they've been deleted. They weren't homophobic or used foul language. Aren't we as gay people supposed to be anti-censorship and pro-freedom of speech? Maybe it should say, "Post a comment only if the webmaster agrees with it"?

Posted by: Censorship much? | Feb 22, 2008 3:34:00 PM

7. I'm beginning to think we've made it with the number of straight guys that are prone to say, when in a jam, to a woman that they're gay and actually looking for their boyfriend. Time was...

I love it that straight guys are getting more and more secure about their sexuality.

Hurray for us!!

David B.

Posted by: David B. | Feb 22, 2008 3:41:44 PM

8. Yeah, David B., but that comment was made by a fashion buyer. Odds are, he's gay. Still a funny comment.

It still annoys me to see celebrities flown to fashion shows and given all the duds they want. Just like the swag condos at Sundance and other events where B-list celebs load up on free designer shit. Aside from the obvious argument that the people most able to afford the items are the least likely to pay for them, they should be paying taxes on all of it. I know they started taxing Oscar night gift bags a few years ago. A step in the right direction.

Censorship, I find it highly unlikely that Andy would delete anything aside from some long, pointless argument between too parties. Probably a tecnical glitch.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 22, 2008 4:12:00 PM

9. Jason Rae should be supporting whoever has the most delegates not who appeals to him more.

And as for the Obama secret service flap - like everything else in this idiotic campaign season this is being blown all out of proportion.

Posted by: yoshi | Feb 22, 2008 6:21:03 PM

10. This is in response to "NOT A CHOICE": Siddharth probably did not intend the word 'choice' as you have interpreted. You have to realize that this is India where the 'choice' debate does not exist. In fact, homosexuality is mostly invisible and, in fact, illegal on paper. I think it is already brave of him to be candid and supportive about it. Most Bollywood actors shirk the topic in fear of alienating fans.

And yes, he is cute!

POSTED BY: DARBARI

Well said sir. I have worked in the 47th Street Diamond district for 30 years and more than half of my clients are from India. I have also dated several Indians, the only lover I ever lived with was from Calcutta.

I am well aware of the difference of not only customs, but of our languages. When they say things they sometimes use a term or word that can be taken the wrong way, especially to someone as sensitive as NOT A CHOICE appears to be.

The last Indian I dated was a blind date. He was married to his childhood sweetheart, but came out after moving with her to NYC. He told me that he met his first lover, in his late 20's, at the gym. "In America everything is open. America made me gay'. Needles to say we only had one date.

This is a totally different cultural mindset. Siddharth took a great risk in being so open, he should be cut some slack for a lack of his use of a second language, if in fact it was not translated by a third party.

Posted by: Patrick nyc | Feb 22, 2008 8:19:18 PM

11. I love Jason Rae. She is really brave. As a member of LGBT, i am also proud of who i am as Jason Rae does. It's great. It the first and most important step for LGBT. "We should be proud of ourselves as we really are." from the typical signature on the forum of http://www.bimingle.com . In this way, i think we LGBT will be accepted by all others in future.

Posted by: carrieqin | Feb 24, 2008 9:43:19 PM

12. Michael

Thank you! Though we disagree on candidates at the moment, thank you for expressing outrage at the SS texas fiasco/ shenangins/ incompetence/ or something more sinister.

If the same had happened to Hillary, I to would be calling for the head of someone who was in charge.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 24, 2008 10:50:27 PM

13. Bollywood is one of the more gay-friendly environments in India.

However, like Hollywood until a few years ago, the actors and actresses haven't been as vocal as they'd like because they fear backlash from conservative viewers. But I think that's certainly changing though. Within India's entertainment and intellectual circles, the calls to abolish the sodomy law has grown ever louder.

Even if it happens, however, don't expect domestic partnerships or civil unions anytime soon. This is still Asia. Indian attitudes toward homosexuality will probably end up more like the People's Republic of China. In that country, the sodomy law was repealed in 1997, homosexuality was only removed from the list of mental disorders in 2001, and now the government basically ignores gay people as long as they don't challenge Communist orthodoxy.

Posted by: John | Feb 25, 2008 4:55:51 AM

14. Wolverine is a fictional character, a superhero that appears in comic books this chracter has many fans out of world who are crazy about wolverine's loving thing especially in costuming wolverine costumes and jackets are being offered at online store that to at very reasonable rates with best quality.

Posted by: jennifer | Apr 19, 2014 1:55:50 AM