Jeff Whitty | News | Ryan Philippe | Television

Avenue Q Scribe Jeff Whitty Offers Jay Leno His 'Gayest Look'

UPDATE: There's now a whole website!

LenoYou may remember the clip I posted last week of Ryan Phillippe's appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in which, after mocking Phillippe's first acting role as a gay teen on a soap, Leno pointed at the camera and asked Phillippe to give his gayest look.

You may also remember that in April 2006 Avenue Q scribe Jeff Whitty challenged Leno on his mockery of gay people. Whitty's challenge, in which he wrote Leno a letter which was followed up by a half-hour chat, was picked up by mainstream news outlets.

Well, Whitty got word that Leno was up to his old tricks again, so he's published another letter to the comic on his site, along with a photo of his gayest look, which you can see AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's Whitty's gayest look:

Whitty

You can read his new letter to Leno here.

Comments

1. Amen!

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 25, 2008 10:00:41 AM

2. Way to go !

And Whitty is cute!!!

Posted by: SJ | Mar 25, 2008 10:05:23 AM

3. 1- i wondered if i was the only one to be out of sorts about the gayest look thing.

2- whitty, call me! :)

Posted by: kostar | Mar 25, 2008 10:08:04 AM

4. A-FUCKING-MEN! I wrote a very similar letter to Mr. Leno a few days ago...of course I'll never get a response, but I'm glad to know that Jeff Whitty is back on the case. GROW UP LENO...

Posted by: Barry Grubs | Mar 25, 2008 10:11:14 AM

5. A-FUCKING-MEN! I wrote a very similar letter to Mr. Leno a few days ago...of course I'll never get a response, but I'm glad to know that Jeff Whitty is back on the case. GROW UP LENO...

Posted by: Barry Grubs | Mar 25, 2008 10:11:53 AM

6. I've always noted a thread of mean-spiritedness in Jay Leno, particularly, oddly enough, in his interviews. I don't think he's homophobic, I think he's an equal-opportunity douchebag.

Posted by: rascal | Mar 25, 2008 10:13:45 AM

7. Jay reflects America in all of its ugliness.
    He is patronizing, sophmoric and simplistic in his humor. He panders to the lowest common denominator -witness his ridiculously awful segments where he makes fun of ignorant people who don't mind appearing stupid for their 15 mins. Gay people will always be fodder for humor aimed at 15 year old male adolescents. Jay does that and is only reflecting what Hollywood offers up as cinematic entertainment on the big screen. When you
    allow "reality" television to dictate what is entertainment -watching Jay make fun of gay folks-isn't a stretch---sadly. There isn't any hope for Jay.

Posted by: Nick | Mar 25, 2008 10:19:26 AM

8. That gay look is both effective and hot; please, do it again, and again. ;-)

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 25, 2008 10:21:29 AM

9. I think Jay thinks that anything other than being a straight white male is up for comedy fodder (and if you're too straight-laced, he can use that too) but unlike Don Rickles or the other comedians he's grown up loving, he has no respect for anyone but himself and the few people he loves.

He'll be off the air soon enough, so let's focus our attention on Conan, who isn't wonderfully gay-friendly either.

Posted by: junior | Mar 25, 2008 10:28:13 AM

10. to RASCAL: I worked in comedy for 15 years, and saying "I'm an equal opportunity offender" is the first and only cop-out of the bigot. Further, it is NEVER true. How often have you seen Jay Leno say "White people are stupid?" or "Italians are disgusting because" or or "Men are pigs" (in the case of an anti-MAN joke, not an anti-woman one?) Jay Leno is a fucking pig. Case Closed. And Jeff Whittey is suddenly smoking HOT. Team Jeff.

Posted by: Strepsi | Mar 25, 2008 10:32:48 AM

11. Could someone package Whitty in foil so I could keep him in my wallet and unroll him on...I digress. I can't say enough good about how proud I am to be represented by a man with such brilliance and economy. As for Leno, check out any of his head shots if you want to see a gay look, well Liberace gay, not gay-gay. I'll be glad when he's off air and touring the country. Playing to ever shrinking audiences.

Posted by: Rikard | Mar 25, 2008 11:07:01 AM

12. What do we expect from Jay? He is fat and ugly. His punishment comes from looking in the mirror every day.

Posted by: Chad | Mar 25, 2008 11:16:04 AM

13. Maybe I am in the minority, but its COMEDY people. Granted, Leno isnt funny... Have any of you been to a comedy club lately? They make fun of EVERYONE. I am sick of living in a world that is SO Politically Correct. Lets stop focusing on Leno and place all of this vitrol on that Kern devil.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 25, 2008 11:53:32 AM

14. Jay makes fun of "Everybody"!! some gays need to get lives already!!...

Posted by: alan brickman | Mar 25, 2008 12:28:19 PM

15. Jay makes fun of "Everybody"!! some gays need to get lives already!!...

Posted by: alan brickman | Mar 25, 2008 12:28:25 PM

16. There are plenty of instances when humor about gay people is inoffensive and even inclusive. In this case, Leno's joke—asking an actor who played gay ages ago to make his gayest face—was obviously insulting. And I would argue that that kind of anti-gay joking around (which yes, occurs in comedy clubs, but that's no excuse, those places have thrived on hate humor) actually helps make the Kern devils of the world more palatable to the public. It's not prissily PC to get offended when people insult you.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Mar 25, 2008 12:32:09 PM

17. I tell you what's ridiculously Politically Correct, it's that that witch Sally Kern can hide behind her imaginary friend in the sky and claim he told her to make her hatin' comments.

Church? Ha, now that's the biggest comedy club in town. And most y'all are too dumb to get the joke.

Posted by: Audrey | Mar 25, 2008 12:32:15 PM

18. Jay Leno isn't funny. He's so old school anymore, that he shouldn't even have people like Phillipe on the show.

A step back for NBC.

Posted by: *john thrasher | Mar 25, 2008 12:34:39 PM

19. Aside from being an overall douche, I think Leno was just trying to jump on the "gay is the new black" trend a few str8 comedians have been milking lately, some to good effect:

I'm Fucking Ben Affleck (Affleck + Kimmel)
    Iran So Far (Andy Samberg + Fred Armisen SNL)
    I'm Dating Your Dad (Andy Samberg + Jonah Hill, SNL)

....but he failed miserably. I know that some think that even the above parodies are offensive, but I thought they were funny enough.

Leno just wasn't clever enough to pull it off, and in the process insulted Ryan by attempting to drag him into the joke.

Lame.

Posted by: Banjiboi | Mar 25, 2008 12:48:42 PM

20. Before Leno got the Tonight Show and Rosie O'Donnell got her talk show, both based their humor on anti-PC, occasionally vulgar jokes. In the mid-80s I remember Leno had a routine about starving Africans that was so offensive it was funny---sort of like South Park humor (which I usually don't like, largely because the voices get on my nerves). Even Ellen Degeneres used to be much less sweet when she was still a standup.

I think that Leno probably feels like he's been emasculated comedically, since he's on a major network. So he goes after the only group that's still safe to mock: the gays. He's an idiot. Never trust anyone with a massive car collection. It's an obvious sign they have doubts in their masculinity. He has to put on a happy face on the show, but he's not a content person.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 25, 2008 12:49:54 PM

21. Aside from being an overall douche, I think Leno was just trying to jump on the "gay is the new black" trend a few str8 comedians have been milking lately, some to good effect:

I'm Fucking Ben Affleck (Affleck + Kimmel)
    Iran So Far (Andy Samberg + Fred Armisen SNL)
    I'm Dating Your Dad (Andy Samberg + Jonah Hill, SNL)

Lame.

Posted by: Banjiboi | Mar 25, 2008 12:50:01 PM

22. God bless Jeff! This is the kind of smart, watchdog activism we really need and thank you for posting it so we all see it. Awesome letter Jeff...just perfect!

Posted by: Pugzz | Mar 25, 2008 1:10:50 PM

23. i <3 Jeff. So talented, so creative, so funny, so RIGHT ON.

yes, and he's uber-cute.

Posted by: buzz | Mar 25, 2008 1:25:19 PM

24. Jay Leno has NEVER made me laugh. Maybe his "humor" is appreciated by people with lower IQs than Jay's, I don't know. I do know he seems homophobic and out of touch and can't wait until Conan takes over for him.

Anyone that laughs at Leno is probably swinging from trees anyway.

Way to Jeff Whitty. You rock and I'm thankful for people like you in our community.

Posted by: Bobby | Mar 25, 2008 1:32:05 PM

25. Banjiboi, I agree that the skits you listed were for the most part OK, probably didn't mean to be offensive (though all relied on stupide stereotypes), and I doubt Andy Samberg in particular is homophobic. But every episode of SNL contains at least three skits, fake commercials, or just gay-themed jokes that make me cringe.

Tina Fey is a lead writer on the show and has give many interviews where she says she loves the gays. But she still doesn't get it. Either, apparently, does Stephen Colbert (who I love and who played a funny gay teacher on Strangers with Candy, and is very gay-positive on his own show). I find SNL's Ambiguously Gay Duo to be so sophomorically stupid. I can't fathom who thinks it's funny or why it continues to be shown. Excrement. Same with the recurring gays in outer space skits. Ugh.

It's like they think every single member of their audience is a straight moron who wouldn't understand more nuanced humor.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 25, 2008 1:54:01 PM