Brett Favre | Football (American) | News | Sports | Wisconsin

BigGayDeal.com

Brett Favre Will Also Miss the Grinding, and Slapping of Butts

Favre

Brett Favre, the Green Bay Packers legend, gave a long, sometimes tearful press conference yesterday as he announced his retirement. At one point, he discussed some of the things he'll miss:

FAVRE: "Well, in my discussions with former players, every one of the guys I've talked to has said the things you miss, you miss the games but it is the guys. And I haven't heard too many guys say I miss meetings or miss practice. But I may be one of those rare people who miss that to a certain extent as I'm involved in it. Sitting in meetings or practice, I have to admit, I thought about being elsewhere, but it's easy to do that when you're in the moment. But the friendships you make along the way, they come and go to a certain extent. But they are special and that I think I'll miss, grinding together. Football, I think is very unique in that of all the sports because you have to rely on one another so much more than the other sports and it's a physical sport, which I think in turn mentally challenges you more so than any other sport. And I am a little biased, but I will miss that. Sitting in those meetings with the receivers and figuring out how we're going to beat the upcoming team and challenging each other and doing it in a fun way, slapping our big linemen on the butt, which I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. But all that stuff, man that's just what it's all about. And I will miss that stuff."

And so will we.

Favre farewell transcript [milwaukee journal sentinel]
No more butt-slapping for Favre [outsports]

Previously
Sportrait: Brett Favre [tr]

Comments

1. "slapping our big linemen on the butt" -- ah yes, dear brett, i love them too... those big beautiful football bubblebuns... at last, the truth will out...

Posted by: the queen | Mar 7, 2008 9:32:07 AM

2. I was never a Packers fan, but I must admit that Brett got better looking the older he got. He is one sexy man. YUM!

Posted by: jon | Mar 7, 2008 10:48:31 AM

3. Congratulations Brett on a job very well done.

It's seldom these days that I find a fellow Mississippian that I can be proud of.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 7, 2008 1:09:10 PM

4. I don't know why anyone who is retiring needs to give a press conference--what an ego trip. Aren't almost all sports physical??

Posted by: anon | Mar 7, 2008 3:20:22 PM

5. hello?

Posted by: nic | Mar 8, 2008 6:47:07 AM

6. apparantly there is no longer a problem on this thread, so i will try to post a comment.

alls i want to know is, why it is ok for a man/child who got paid millions of dollars to play football to blubber and slobber and sob over his retirement (from a GAME, for cripes sake), while it is a major sin for hillary to well up during a campaign?

if that is not sexism, then i don't know anything. somebody, please, clear this up for me.

Posted by: nic | Mar 8, 2008 7:02:06 AM

7. Are you really suggesting that men in our culture are allowed to cry in public without being ridiculed the way women are or are you speaking specifically and only about the one incident with Hillary?

I think the issue with Hillary's tearing up had much more to do with her timing and her playing the "sensitive woman" card. I DO think it was sexist but only in the fact that it was shamefully sexist for her to manipulate the voters in such a brazen way.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 9, 2008 12:17:25 AM

8. Hillary was not criticized for crying in public. The press, and a good number of us, believed it was fake.
    Given her general behavior in this campaign against Obama (and I am voting McCain)I wouldn't put fake crying past her.
    God, I am voting McCain if she wins just to rid this nation of her and Bill.
    The Hillbots turn everything, even a a posting on an aging athlete, into a talking point for Hillary.

Posted by: Log Cabinette | Mar 9, 2008 9:49:44 AM

9. Brett Favre is a class act. A great human being who happens to excel at playing quarterback. A type sadly few and far between in professional sports these days. He's up there with Sugar Ray Leonard, Cal Ripken, and Walter Payton.

Posted by: Vi Agara | Mar 9, 2008 11:13:10 AM

10. Hillary was not criticized for crying in public. The press, and a good number of us, believed it was fake.
    -----------------------
    Really? Like Obama's campaign Co-Chair Jesse Jackson Jr, proving the douche bag does not fall far from the tree.

The fact you would vote for McShame proves that you are as clueless as your post, but to say that the Hillary tears story is just reporting by the press and a 'good number of us' is just another example of how you idiots sleaze and run. She was and continues to be held to a different standard. Both because she is a woman and because she is the wife of a president, one with his own sleaze to carry.

I will be happy to vote for either Democrat because even in their worse day they are better than anything you self hating log idiots can put up.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 9, 2008 1:04:57 PM

11. God are Hillary people weird and desperate. This is a thread about Brett Favre for God's sake. Do you know how retarded that makes you people seem?

Posted by: Joe | Aug 7, 2008 7:26:09 PM