Discrimination | Education | Gay Youth | Kansas | News

Gay Student Faces Possible Expulsion for 'Harassing' Straight Friend

Gay Kansas high school student Jimmy Iniguez faces possible expulsion after being identified as an accomplice in an incident which resulted in a straight friend's expulsion. That incident originated after Iniguez, who describes the other student as his "best friend," told his straight friend that because of their association people were saying that he was gay.

Metromidtown"According to Iniguez, the incident began when a female friend told him she had heard a rumor that a mutual male friend of theirs was gay. 'I told her that rumor was false,' Iniguez said. 'I said I would know, because I was his best friend.' But, 'it's like you can't be straight and have a gay friend,' he added. When the male student saw Iniguez in the bathroom later that day, he asked Iniguez what was going on. 'So I told him, 'Some people are saying you're gay, but don't worry. I told them it wasn't true,'' Iniguez said. 'But he still got kind of upset.' The student, who is 18, allegedly returned to class and threatened students and a teacher, Iniguez said. He was suspended and later expelled. School officials then suspended Iniguez, saying he was partly to blame because he harassed the teenager in the bathroom. 'It appears to me, if there's any harassment here, it's on the part of the administration at the school,' said John McKean, a lawyer representing Iniguez and his mother. The teenager, a longtime friend of Iniguez's, has agreed to testify on Iniguez's behalf at today's hearing, McKean said."

Iniguez has been suspended, unfairly he says, because he is gay: "I am openly gay, and some people don't like that. But I never bothered anybody. All I want is to go back to school."

An expulsion hearing was set for this morning.

Kansas Equality Coalition apparently held a press conference outside the school today.

Teen denies harassment claim [wichita eagle]

Comments

1. Why the f---k would Dorothy want to go back to Kansas? A gay student goes out of his way to protect a straight guy who is brave enough to be a friend. The straight guy gets expelled for loosing his cool due to rumors caused by that friendship. The gay guy gets suspended for trying to keep the peace on school premises.

Can people sue school districts in Kansas? Well, sue frickin' Sam Brownback then.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 27, 2008 10:51:43 AM

2. There's no place like home!

This is going to be quite embarassing for the school in the long run.

Posted by: Wes | Mar 27, 2008 10:55:11 AM

3. Being Kansas, the incident must have interrupted a lesson on creationism to warrant expulsion.

Seriously though, how in the hell is this guy responsible for his friend's outburst? It is not as though he was maliciously spreading a false rumor. On the contrary, he was helping quell a false rumor.

Posted by: Craig | Mar 27, 2008 10:57:21 AM

4. Kansas = Capital of stupid?

Posted by: Calpete | Mar 27, 2008 11:06:47 AM

5. This could have taken place in 75% of the U.S., so let's not bash Kansas or this particular school. It's a systematic loathing we have to combat.

Posted by: slow down | Mar 27, 2008 12:49:11 PM

6. Yes, the 75% of the U.S. that voted for George Bush. There's a reason why that map is mostly red.

Posted by: John | Mar 27, 2008 3:39:14 PM

7. "Capital of Stupid"? I think we've found a new candidate for the Wichita School Board.

These two kids stood up to stupid, which isn't so easy out here.

Posted by: kansastock | Mar 27, 2008 4:26:41 PM

8. Hey, you make a strong point, KANSASTOCK & SLOW DOWN. These two brave kids who stood up to bigotry are products of the Kansas school system, so there must be many brave souls out there in cyclone country.

Maybe Dorothy and Auntie Em were the brave & fair-minded kind of Kansas folk. Elvira Gulch voted for Brownback.

Posted by: Derrick from Phily | Mar 27, 2008 4:51:37 PM

9. I'm from Kansas, and while, yes, the majority of Kansans are conservative, I don't think it's fair how you generalize Kansas, or the midwest for that matter. Not all Kansans are rednecks, who are close-minded, and own farms.

I know a number of people who are very open minded when it comes to controversial issues, not just limited to gay rights.

My school has its own Gay-Straight Alliance and many teachers are in support of gays as well. While I'm not sure where this student goes to school, I do know that he will have at least some support from Kansans. But we still have a long way to go.

I'm sorry for sounding so critical, but I just wanted to enlighten those who may have a skewed view of things.

Posted by: anonymous | Mar 27, 2008 7:56:54 PM

10. Thanxs guys for supporting me i have gone through alot and i couldnt have done it without my support!! And ya kansas is dumb!!

Posted by: Jimmy Iniguez | Apr 12, 2008 11:47:23 AM