Barack Obama | Britney Spears | Election 2008 | Film | Gay Marriage | Hillary Clinton | Ian Thorpe | Mike Jones | News | Poland | Sean Hayes | Space | Ted Haggard | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

News: Hubble, Ian Thorpe, South Park, Sean Hayes, Poland

road.jpg New York Post theater columnist Michael Riedel questions whether Sean Hayes is "virile enough" to play romantic lead to Anne Hathaway in revival of Promises, Promises.

Britneysp_2road.jpg Britney goes to South Park to escape the paparazzi.

road.jpg The NYT talks to gay New Yorker Brendan Fay about the Polish President's use of his wedding video: "[Krzysztof W. Kasprzyk, Poland’s consul general in New York] said he did not know why President Kaczynski’s staff members used Mr. Fay’s image. 'Probably they were just looking for a useful picture,' Mr. Karkowski said, 'a visible sign of what he and his followers are against and what, supposedly, his political opponents are for.'"

road.jpg Huffington Post's Barbara Ehrenreich on Hillary's nasty pastorate: "You can find all about it in a widely under-read article in the September 2007 issue of Mother Jones, in which Kathryn Joyce and Jeff Sharlet reported that 'through all of her years in Washington, Clinton has been an active participant in conservative Bible study and prayer circles that are part of a secretive Capitol Hill group known as the 'Fellowship,' aka The Family.' Sean Hannity has called Obama's church a 'cult,' but that term applies far more aptly to Clinton's 'Family,' which is organized into 'cells' -- their term -- and operates sex-segregated group homes for young people in northern Virginia. In 2002, writer Jeff Sharlet joined the Family's home for young men, foreswearing sex, drugs, and alcohol, and participating in endless discussions of Jesus and power.

Wolfmanroad.jpg There's a new wolfman in town.

road.jpg Australian Olympian Ian Thorpe against boycott of Beijing Olympics over Tibet crackdown.

road.jpg The gay divide in doctor's advice: " Gay men are much more likely than straights to consult a medical specialist, while lesbians are more reluctant than heterosexual women to go to a family doctor -- if they even have one. The study for Statistics Canada found 29% of gay men consulted a medical specialist in a one-year period compared with 19% of heterosexual men."

road.jpg Barack Obama gets his own plushy doll.

road.jpg Ted Haggard escort Mike Jones told to keep his pants on in Naked B4 God: "In sharing his story, Jones drops tidbits about not just Haggard, but Paula Woodward, the TV reporter he first talked to (and who was in the audience at the premiere) and Peter Boyles, on whose radio show he went public. And on opening night, he also dropped his shorts around his sneakers — showing his jones as he demonstrated how he would massage Art. But that was before someone suggested to director Michael Dempsey that the full-frontal nudity that had been part of the play when it debuted in California might violate Denver ordinances."

Hbroad.jpg Hubble telescope detects first-ever organic molecule on a planet orbiting another star: "Hubble found the tell-tale signature of methane in the atmosphere of the Jupiter-sized extrasolar planet HD 189733b. Under the right circumstances, methane can play a key role in prebiotic chemistry – the chemical reactions considered necessary to form life as we know it. Although methane has been detected on most of the planets in our Solar System, this is the first time any organic molecule has been detected on a world orbiting another star."

road.jpg Hugh Jackman isn't the only X-Men cast member enjoying the beach in Sydney.

road.jpg The Daily Mail looks back on Sir John Gielgud's men's room arrest: "And so, despite his brand-new knighthood, one of the most celebrated men of the times found himself that October in a Chelsea lavatory well-known as one of London's favourite pick-up joints, looking for his usual evening's entertainment. But this time, his eye lighted not on a fellow member of the underground homosexual community, but on a plain-clothes policeman."

Comments

1. Who is "Art" in the Mike Jones blurb?

Posted by: Eddie | Mar 20, 2008 12:46:24 PM

2. I believe "Art" is disgraced Ted Haggard, Eddie.

Posted by: Jake | Mar 20, 2008 1:13:27 PM

3. Hillary goes to bible study? Wow,I wasn't aware that she was even a Christian, let alone a conservative one.

Mike Jones, man, that dude sure has outlived his 15 minutes of fame!

Posted by: Sebastian | Mar 20, 2008 1:46:29 PM

4. That South Park episode was hillarious. i hate to say this but, South Park is a great vehicle for describing where are heads are at with regard to society. It also makes good points on both sides of the story. There is always a moral of the story here which is what I really enjoy about watching.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 20, 2008 1:53:32 PM

5. It's so easy and simple for idiots like Ian Thorpe to pontificate about the Olympics being a peacekeeping event but for him and many other countries(especially China)it's a HUGH money making event. China is a very fucked up country for what it is doing to the residents of Tibet and I hope people with any sense of human conciousness BOYCOTT the whole fucking thing and send China and all the greedy moneymongers a clear message that torturing and killing people behind the scenes while presenting to the world that your some type of benevolent nation for hosting the Olympics is bullshit!

Posted by: SFshawn | Mar 20, 2008 2:00:52 PM

6. what i'd really like to see is a study that compared how often americans visited their doctors [if they have one] as opposed to canadians, who have greater access, and whose healthcare isn't tie to their employment.

Posted by: james | Mar 20, 2008 2:18:40 PM

7. Barbara Ehrenreich seems to be missing both a dictionary and any shame. First, the only one who can have a "pastorate" is an actual pastor and that's about the only thing that EhrenREICH doesn't accuse Sen. Clinton of. I guess claiming she was "a secret Muslim" wouldn't be as believable against her as it was for the stupid as a ruthless smear against Obama.

The second word she doesn't seem to understand is "fascist," for while she tries to crucify Sen. Clinton by associating her with others "fascist leaning" she doesn't get how fascistic her own essay is in the way it sinks to unprecedented depths of the most ludicrous and libelous guilt by association.

Can a Pulitizer and Nobel Peace Prize be far off for EhrenREICH for bleating, "What drew Clinton into the sinister heart of the international right? Maybe it was just a phase in her tormented search for identity, marked by ever-changing hairstyles and names."

Just when one thought they understood the limits of demagoguery to which some Obamaniacs could go, along comes Frau EhrenREICH and her Brown Shirt branding iron. Barbara, the world would be a better place if you stuck to selling flowers for Obama at the airport.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 20, 2008 2:28:50 PM

8. Well, Michael:

I wonder if Bill's "cigar" activities had anything to do with Hillary joining the Bible study group. A no-good man can do that to a good woman, you know. It's either the Bible or the bottle. I know...I know.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 20, 2008 2:35:00 PM

9. Not only should we boycott the Beijing Olympics, but we should also send in a block-ops unit to storm the Olympics village, take all the Chinese athletes hostage, and hold them until our political demands are met. It's the only way to be sure.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 20, 2008 2:39:11 PM

10. Well gee.. Hill joins a "scary" bible study group which is old news (I've read about this years ago) while do nothing wrong Obama gets a doll made after him. Hmmmm, how much more bias from the media including bloggers is left? Hence, a stained blue dress story dug from again, years ago. Wow how interesting. When the media can't put out any more new biased stories about Hill and/or Bill let's dig some up.

What about a story on the many lies and misleading quotes coming from Obama and his camp? Look up flip flopping statements about Rezko, his pastor, his campaign meeting with the Canadian consulate etc. This man is a liar and will lie about anything to get to the presidency. A vote for him and his inexperience will probably then send a Repub majority to congress in 2010 and then most likely a neo con president in four years. Democrats should really look into electing McCain, at least he is a moderate, we will still have a Dem majority in 2010 and probably pick up more seats and then elect a better Dem nominee in in four years while McCain still backs an unwinnable war in Iraq.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 20, 2008 2:51:26 PM

11. The article from the September 2007 issue of Mother Jones is easily found online, and is frightening reading. I can't say I'm terribly surprised, though. That miserable bitch will sell us all out the Christian Right given half a chance, and we'll all be sent to the ovens while she waves bye bye.

Posted by: Roscoe | Mar 20, 2008 3:10:19 PM

12. I was hoping that Andy would post this story about Hillary's longtime association with "The Family"; not because I plan on blowing it out of proportion the way many have done with the Wright "scandal", but because I wanted to see how some of the "Donnie McClurkin" and Jeremiah Wright obsessed people here would react.

It's pretty clear that there will be, as I suspected, a very noticeable double standard and a quick push to claim that this 15+ year connection to the MOST right-wing, anti-gay, fundamentalist, elite, secret society-styled political group in Washington and Hillary's parallel and visible drift to the right, personally and politically (the reason she isn't my first choice for the nomination) were at most a non-issue and at worst an unfortunate coincidence.

It's early yet, but so far I haven't been disappointed.

We won’t see this story run every minute of the day for 5 days straight like we did with the cherry picked video clips of the Wright rants so I would encourage everyone to go to the link that Andy provided and read the whole article for themselves so that they can make up their own minds as to whether or not there should be concern about this association.

I would at least expect that those who were terribly concerned with Obama’s 20 year association with Wright would be at the very least a wee bit concerned about this.

We’ll see.

Personally, it does concern me, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker for my willingness to support a Hillary campaign in the general election were she to legitimately win the nomination.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 20, 2008 3:37:58 PM

13. "miserable bitch"??? Anyone want to throw the N-word at Obama and show what a classy, intelligent group of posters we have?

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 20, 2008 3:39:17 PM

14. Barack, the NOBLE!

But, seriously, Michael: what's your girl doing in the Bible Study group with the anit-gay Republicans? I wonder if Elizabeth Dole is part of it, that miserable aging belle.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 20, 2008 3:51:26 PM

15. Sean Hayes not "virile enough"? I guess they didn't see him in Will and Grace. Or are they going to admit that they were too scared to say "manly"?

Posted by: oakling | Mar 20, 2008 4:12:43 PM

16. re:Brendan Fay/ Poland...

I would suggest that anyone reading this google 'Joel's Army'

It's one really f**ked up Euro hate group that is an actual threat to all of us, as they appear to have the ears of the religious reich here in America

Posted by: MisoPretty | Mar 20, 2008 5:53:08 PM

17. It is possible to come to care about someone one has never actually met and it is possible to come to be ashamed of someone one cares about. With lingering affection, Zeke, I refer to you—the last regular poster here I would have thought could approve and promote these vicious hit pieces about Sen. Clinton and the Senate prayer group and the wholesale moral equation of it with another different group entirely. "Hillary's longtime association with The Family"? McCarthyism lives, and it’s operating from deep inside the Obama Borg.

From “The Atlantic Monthly, November 2006:

“Clinton has also displayed a subtler touch in the Senate than anyone could reasonably have expected, making especially good use of the ever-dwindling opportunities for casual commingling of members of the opposing parties. The Wednesday-morning prayer group is one. Another is the congressional delegation (“CODEL,” in Hill jargon), on which members travel together.

One spring Wednesday, a few months into the term, Senator Sam Brownback’s turn came to lead the prayer group, and he rose intending to talk about a recent cancer scare. But as he stood before his colleagues Brownback spotted Clinton, and was overcome with the impulse to change the subject of his testimony. ‘I came here today prepared to share about this experience in my life that has caused great suffering, the result of which has deepened my faith’, Brownback said. ‘But I’m overcome now with only one thought’. He confessed to having hated Clinton and having said derogatory things about her. Through God, he now recognized his sin. Then he turned to her and asked, ‘Mrs. Clinton, will you forgive me’? Clinton replied that she would, and that she appreciated the apology.

This repentance fostered an unlikely relationship that has yielded political bounty. Clinton and Brownback went on to cosponsor one measure protecting refugees fleeing sexual abuse, and another to study the effects on children of violent video games and television shows.”

If a worm like Brownback can turn, at least in this context, when, Brother Zeke, understandably proud pillar of your own UCC congregation, husband and coparent, friend never met, will you be asking for forgiveness?

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 20, 2008 6:12:59 PM

18. By posting a link to the Daily Mail you are giving credence and much-coveted hot-link status/income to the extremely right-wing and very gay-unfriendly publication. FYI, they have recently gained much business and ad income because Drudge now frequently links to them. Please bear this in mind and understand the source when you link to a publication. Do you really want to paper to claim that they make money from gays so they can print anti-gay news?

Posted by: David O | Mar 20, 2008 7:36:58 PM

19. Key word Zeke "legitimately." Mind, you I still won't vote for her under any circumstances, but, if she can win it fair and square, my total disdain of her will soften a bit.

Posted by: Sebastian | Mar 20, 2008 7:38:35 PM

20. Barbara Ehrenreich is out of her mind. She smears Clinton by tying a prayer group to either dead dictators from the 1960s or fascists from the 1930s. By that measure, the Democratic Party would still be the pro-slavery party. She is an Obama supporter and whatever she says should be taken with a grain of salt. She is biased and scourging to find what little dirt she can. Mrs Clinton is a mainline Methodist. John Wellesley and the good works people. You serve Christ by performing good deeds.
    Her faith is hardly problematic. Only in the warped and desperate mind of Obama supporters is her faith an issue. It is a very private faith. You don't see her talking about it left and right unlike Obama. Obama polls numbers are bleeding fast. He is likely finished in politics.

Posted by: Charles Lemos | Mar 20, 2008 10:49:35 PM

21. I adored that South Park.

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Mar 20, 2008 11:49:50 PM

22. Michael,

Let me start by saying that I have a lot of affection and respect for you as well. I respect your commitment to fighting for justice and I honor your passion for standing against oppression.

Before I address your comment above I’d like to make an observation. I really don’t understand the seemingly extreme level of your devotion to Mrs. Clinton (acting as if any challenge of her or her platform is spitting in the face of God). This level of devotion is especially perplexing considering how often you refer to Obama supporters (such as myself) as “cult-like”, “Obamaheads” and part of the “Obama borg”. I always refer to Hillary supporters as “Hillary supporters” because I think it’s important to disagree with them without disrespecting them. Besides the fact that I find these mocking names terribly childish and disrespectful (as I do Shillary and Billary), it really seems, considering your level of political devotion to Hillary, like a case of throwing stones from a glass house.

Now, to the more specific point that you addressed to me above; you seem to have read way more into my comment than was intended. I didn't pronounce ANY judgment on Hillary. I simply said that those who feel that Obama's connection to a controversial spiritual advisor is politically relevant could not in good faith completely dismiss this “prayer circle” revelation without giving it similar consideration. I still feel that way.

If you will recall, in a comment I made on the "Obama Speech" thread, I said that I would concede that Obama should pay dearly and even drop out of the race if ANYONE could come up with a SINGLE example where Rev. Wright's alleged racism or alleged anti-American views were demonstrated in OBAMA'S personal or political mature adult life. I agreed that THAT would in fact show that this "scandal" was as relevant as people were trying to make it out to be. I even challenged people to search for examples, or JUST ONE example (even in the Fox News archives). I pledged that if such an example could be produced I would publicly admit that I was wrong in my support for Obama and Wright and that I would support Hillary from that point forward. So far there hasn’t been a shred of evidence that Obama adopted any of the negative aspects of his spiritual advisor’s occasional trips off the track into HIS character or world view. If that has been shown to be the case (which in my eyes it has) then I think all of this ad nauseam talk about Obama’s twenty years blah, blah, blah are nothing more than dirty politics and mudslinging.

In the above comment I gave Hillary the EXACT same accommodation. I said that people should read the article and make up their own minds if they think she has been negatively affected by this association. How could you possibly take such issue with that?

Likewise people should consider the possibility that Hillary may have been positively affected by this association JUST AS people should consider the positive affects that Obama's relationship with Jeremiah Wright may have had in molding the spiritual, moral, ethical and political insights that Obama has shown in HIS OWN words and actions as a man, as a politician and as a candidate. That was the point that Obama made about Wright’s positive influence on him but you were having NONE of it but you seem unable to consider that Obama is anything other than an opponent of Hillary. Then you came up with a beautiful example of how Hillary might have had a positive influence from a potentially negative religiously conservative atmosphere. I wholeheartedly agree. That’s why I don’t know why YOU think that these two scenarios have NOTHING to do with each other. They actually do and what they have in common may be surprisingly positive.

Michael, I'm sorry if my holding this belief causes you to be ashamed of me or if it diminishes your respect for me. I can't help that. I feel that this is a very reasonable position to take and I believe that I have expressed it in a way that is respectful to Mrs. Clinton. I don't think you and some of the others gave Obama the same consideration at ANY point in his campaign; especially not over the last week. I must say that I find it odd that my comment caused you so much distress but you seem to be completely unaware of the viciousness of some of your comments about my preferred candidate and his supporters, including at one point, me. I care for you deeply but I'm not going to be made to feel ashamed of my honestly held opinions presented in a civil and polite manner; especially not by a person who has repeatedly and constantly displayed a willingness to engage in scorched earth rhetoric in order to tear down Obama and his supporters. I may disagree with you at times, I may strongly disagree with your style and tone at times, but I have yet to feel ashamed of you and unless I act shamefully I will not be made to feel ashamed of myself.

Michael, I hope you realize that there is great uplifting passion AND horribly destructive hate on BOTH sides of this campaign. It really seems that you don’t realize this; not on any level. You seem to amplify the faults of Obama AND his supporters to the extreme while being completely unable or unwilling to consider that the same things are found to the same degree in your candidate and her supporters. You cannot continue to see nothing but evil in every Obama supporter while acting as if Hillary supporters are pure and faultless.

I can’t change the tenor, tone, words or actions of others in this campaign but I can control and take responsibility for my own tenor, tone, words and actions. I’ve decided to hit the reset button and come back to this from a new perspective (where we are all DEMOCRATS on the same team with the same ultimate goal) and with a renewed spirit (positive and uplifting rather than negative and down-putting). I simply can’t imagine any other way I can continue participating in this process without losing my mind, my faith or my temper. For your health and your sanity, Michael I hope you will consider finding your reset button and doing the same. Love ya bubba!

Bottom line; As much as I hate to see Democrats turning their passions against each other, I’m REALLY glad that ALL of that passion is on OUR team and look forward to the upcoming reunion of our party under one candidate (whoever that might be) so that we can focus all of our combined passion into kicking McCain, and the tragic Bush legacy, to the curb.

Peace.

PS. Using the term “The Family” to refer to the prayer group cannot be considered a McCarthy-like tactic, as you claimed, when it is the name by which its members decided to call themselves.

PSS. It may come as a huge surprise but I wrote a passionate defense of Hillary over at the “Blue Dress” thread.

I’m going to bed now. This insomnia is KILLING me but it’s the Towleroad readers who seem to pay the ultimate price. Sorry.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 21, 2008 2:10:44 AM

23. Recommend a good adalt tracker where you can download movies via adalt Torrents

Posted by: melany | Mar 29, 2009 6:47:08 PM