Film | George W. Bush | Harvey Milk | Josh Brolin | Magazines | News | Sean Penn

Josh Brolin Flaunts It, Gives Thoughts on Milk, Bush

Brolinflaunt

Josh Brolin appears in the new issue of Flaunt. More images at Boy Culture. He also gives an interview to the San Luis Obispo New Times in which he discusses taking on the characters of Dan White (in Milk) and George W. Bush for the upcoming Oliver Stone flick.

"Dan White, there's so much footage of him and there's so much video and audio in his confessions and all that, that it's definitely ... nerve-wracking because you feel like you have to do the family justice in some way, and the person justice, but you don't want to do a carbon copy. It's the same thing with Bush. I'm getting ready to play Bush, George W. We're talking just about how close we want to get to him, and we want to stay in the spirit of it instead of trying to do a carbon copy because there's been so many comedies based on George Bush. So yeah, it gets a little more nerve-wracking. But I think once you get those iconic portions of the character, then you can go and kind of do your own thing and get away with it and still feel free instead of stifled."

Brolin also reveals how his participation in Milk came about:

"Sean [Penn] was the one that went to Gus [Van Sant] for Milk and said 'What about Josh,' 'cause me and Sean and Woody Harrelson and Catherine Keener had a great night when we were in Toronto and me and Javier Bardem, we all went out one night and had one of the funnest nights I've ever had in my life. It was hilarious, and we were all completely insane. I've known Sean off and on, but really through that night Sean went to Gus and said 'What about Josh for playing Dan White' and then when they came to me with it, I read it and thought it was amazing but I just thought it'd be fun. It'd be fun to play with Sean. Literally. Like a kid. I want to go play with Sean. Anyway, I know it starts to sound a little insane, but it's true."

He'd be so much hotter without that cigarette.

You may have missed...
Javier Bardem Trades Oscar Statue for Josh Brolin [tr]
Josh Brolin on Tackling the Role of Milk Assassin Dan White [tr]
Oliver Stone Elects Bush as Next Project [tr]
Diane Lane: Gay Men Lust for My Husband Josh Brolin [tr]

Comments

1. I think that he's not as hot as his father was at the same age, but, could care less about the cigarette, still fear drunk drivers more than anyone taking a drag on a cig when it comes to vices, and,can't wait to see the movie.

Posted by: Sebastian | Mar 7, 2008 3:33:48 PM

2. Josh Brolin would be so much hotter if he were someone else.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 7, 2008 3:46:35 PM

3. It never fails to amaze me how smokers can't comprehend what a turn off smoking is to the majority of the public, the non-smokers. Ack. Bleech. Yuck.

Posted by: Scott B. | Mar 7, 2008 3:49:40 PM

4. Smoking is totally hot. Do you think Josh Brolin gives a fuck what 'the majority of the public, the non-smokers' (anti-choice nazis) think?

Posted by: wetcnt | Mar 7, 2008 4:09:07 PM

5. ha ha ha! anti-choice nazis! yes. it is totally the same as what the nazis did. or as lobbing a bomb at a clinic. or even the same as protesting outside and harassing the clients! poor, poor smokers. constantly being picketed and threatened and herded into ghettoes and worse. why doesn't somebody do something about it!!

Posted by: oakling | Mar 7, 2008 4:57:19 PM

6. Thank you for proving my point. Nice leap between "turn off" and "anti-choice nazis"...

Posted by: Scott B. | Mar 7, 2008 5:02:49 PM

7. cigarette or not, he'd be hotter with a brain.

Posted by: bob | Mar 7, 2008 6:40:27 PM

8. ha ha ha! anti-choice nazis! yes. it is totally the same as what the nazis did. or as lobbing a bomb at a clinic. or even the same as protesting outside and harassing the clients! poor, poor smokers. constantly being picketed and threatened and herded into ghettoes and worse. why doesn't somebody do something about it!!

Posted by: oakling | Mar 7, 2008 4:57:19 PM
    --------------------------
    Are you trying to be funny or stupid? Well you got the latter.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 7, 2008 6:41:32 PM

9. OOooo, I think the cigarette makes him look HOT!

I don' smoke - and I don't care for that stale smell tha excessive smoking brings - but I enoy the smell of cigarette. And they are great hotness-inducing accessories.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Mar 7, 2008 8:15:16 PM

10. The problem with Milk is not Brolin is the homophobic Sean Penn playing a gay icon. Of course few people are left that knew Harvey and so nobody cares these days about his image. I knew him and I care and it bothers me that the homophobic sob Sean Penn thinks he can give Harvey justice. It is a shame and I believe that any decent gay must boycott the film when it comes out.

Posted by: Oscar | Mar 8, 2008 1:00:52 AM

11. @OSCAR: I'm confused as to why you would accuse Sean Penn of homophobia. I've never heard of Sean Penn doing or saying anything even remotely homophobic. Moreover, Sean Penn consistently supports and champions politicians who can only be considered extremely liberal. During this Presidential election, Penn has stated his support for Dennis Kucinich, one of the only candidates to support marriage equality. That doesn't sound like a homophobe to me. If you are going to accuse Penn of homophobia I think it is only fair that you back up the accusation with some sort of evidence.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 8, 2008 4:50:27 AM

12. Um, yes anti-choice nazis. You don't want to smoke, then don't smoke. So, your particular fetish is not smoking. I would wonder how sexy you might look under closer examination.

Posted by: Bradley | Mar 8, 2008 11:01:45 AM

13. Um, yes anti-choice nazis. You don't want to smoke, then don't smoke. So, your particular fetish is not smoking. I would wonder how sexy you might look under closer examination.

Posted by: Bradley | Mar 8, 2008 11:01:45 AM
    --------------------
    How is not smoking a 'fetish'? As for how not sexy someone is, that is up to the beholder. Many people, Brolin included along with my favorite Johnny Depp, smoke. They are hot no matter what is in there mouth. Some of us would rather put something else in there, that is all.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 8, 2008 11:57:52 AM

14. Way too much time spent on smoking, legislation for smoking, distaste for smoking. So boring already. It's here. It's been here. It will be here.

Always entertaining to see states like CA and MN try to outlaw it and everyone is smoking in their car.

Choice is best. You are not in a bar for your health.

Josh is just a hottie. In Goonies and today.

Posted by: Br!on | Mar 8, 2008 4:11:08 PM

15. Having known Harvey Milk, I cannot imagine a least-likely character actor to play him than Penn. Van Sandt should have gone with an "unknown," because Harvey was one of a kind, and Penn is of a different kind. Is homo-dissonance the purpose of such mis-casting?

Posted by: The Gay Species | Mar 8, 2008 4:27:43 PM

16. Is Big Tobacco lining his pockets? WTF?

Posted by: Rich | Mar 8, 2008 5:09:04 PM

17. It's a real challenge not to play a "carbon copy" of someone when people can imagine what bush looks like.

i'll be interested to see how his performance in milk is received.

Posted by: RC of strangeculture | Mar 16, 2008 7:00:22 PM

18. The government will always say it's about public health, but honestly, I think many non-smokers consider it a nuisance because of the disgusting smell. And nothing more.

It's certainly more like farting and belching than SARS.

Which brings up an interesting point. If the tobacco companies came up with odorless (or more pleasant burning) tobacco, would the public pressure to ban smoking ease?

Posted by: John | Mar 16, 2008 7:36:33 PM