Britney Spears | Neil Patrick Harris | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Neil Patrick Harris Clarifies 'Overheard' Britney Spears Remarks

Himym

Last week I posted about Britney Spears' imminent guest appearance on How I Met Your Mother which did, in fact, take place. Soon thereafter a wide variety of reports began circulating about Spears' time on the set, some of which were, according to Neil Patrick Harris, a bit misleading.

NPH released a statement to Towleroad this afternoon in an effort to clear up any confusion about remarks he was heard to have made about the pop star:

Said Harris: "In response to the recent weekly rag item regarding Britney Spears appearing on our show, I want to offer a little clarification, and to avoid any further drama, I thought I should act quickly. First, I honestly respect the fact that she is re-establishing herself in the industry and we are proud that she was able to be part of our show. Secondly, I would never refer to her as a 'nightmare' as she was extremely professional, punctual and pleasant during her time on set. I did say that her life has been somewhat 'nightmarish,' but only in reference to being hounded by the media and paparazzi around the clock. If there was a negative, I suppose it was the scrutiny. Everyone was on guard, concerned for Britney's well-being. We were conscious of camera phones, wary of strangers. Her world may be hectic, so we wanted her to feel comfortable in ours. Truly. No spin. She did her job, and did it well."

Take a look at the first clip of Spears' appearance, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Harris continues to impress me. He is a great role model for young kids, gay or straight. Class act.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 18, 2008 6:15:11 PM

2. i have to say I am glad to see people coming to Britney's defense. After watching a few E shows about her and seeing how these photographer just stalk her, I can understand why she is the way she is. It is insane, famous or not, people do deserve some privacy.
    I am glad the Neil came to her defense and clarified that for her.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 18, 2008 6:20:34 PM

3. As always NPH is classy, talented and ONE FABULOUS BABE!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 18, 2008 7:26:33 PM

4. please. stop caring.

Posted by: brad | Mar 18, 2008 7:40:46 PM

5. re: Paul's comment,

That's just how I feel. When was the last time she had some good news reported on her?
    She's only human, and it really gets sickening to see someone kicked so much when there down.
    While I'm not a fan per se of Britney, her music I mean, as a fan of human beings, I hope she pulls herself up and gets through all the bad going on in her life.
    And cheers to NPS! He is a classy guy!

Posted by: john | Mar 18, 2008 7:44:45 PM

6. How awesome is NPH? Class act that one. And sexy as hell!

Posted by: John Beene | Mar 18, 2008 7:59:07 PM

7. She's an embarrassment.
    She has no singing ability.
    She looks a disgusting mess.
    She's a horrible mother.
    She can't act, so why try?
    I just don't understand why anyone gives two shits about this talentless hack.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 18, 2008 8:15:06 PM

8. NPH continues to impress me as a classy guy. No matter what you think of Ms Spear's ability as a performer or a parent she is still a human being. Who among us has not done something embarrassing in their life. Imagine having to live that out in front of the paparazzi and the world. I, too, am sick of hearing about her life --she makes bad life-choices and seems to be addicted to the publicity surrounding them -- and I truly wish she could disappear into anonymity. However, even though she may be her own worst enemy, she still deserves the respect due a human being. NPH's comments show a professional maturity and just good sense. Go, Neil, GO!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 18, 2008 8:40:42 PM

9. NPH continues to impress me as a classy guy. No matter what you think of Ms Spear's ability as a performer or a parent she is still a human being. Who among us has not done something embarrassing in their life. Imagine having to live that out in front of the paparazzi and the world. I, too, am sick of hearing about her life --she makes bad life-choices and seems to be addicted to the publicity surrounding them -- and I truly wish she could disappear into anonymity. However, even though she may be her own worst enemy, she still deserves the respect due a human being. NPH's comments show a professional maturity and just good sense. Go, Neil, GO!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 18, 2008 8:43:04 PM

10. I love NPH. Someone should give him his own show.

Posted by: NPH4EVER | Mar 18, 2008 11:33:13 PM

11. Yeah, three cheers for NPH. And it's also cool that he is playing an aggressively straight guy, as this clip shows. Let's get rid of every stereotype about what roles gay and straight actors can play. Gay actors can take straight parts. Straight actors can take gay parts.
    Gay actors can take gay parts. Straight actors can take straight parts. (There. I think that covers all the options.)

Posted by: gr8guyca | Mar 18, 2008 11:53:08 PM

12. I love NPH as well. What a mensch.

But that photo of Brit--she's turned into the Muppet who plays the nurse to Dr. Bob, Nurse Janice.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 19, 2008 8:18:23 AM

13. NPH continues to be one class act. It is good to see something,anything, positive about BS. Hopefully she will turn her life around. I hate to watch someone destroy themselves.

Posted by: Island Girly | Mar 19, 2008 9:01:07 AM

14. LEAVE NEIL PATRICK ALONE. HAHA!

Posted by: Eric | Mar 19, 2008 11:09:42 AM

15. Am I the only person who considers the casting of Spears, who has yet to display any semblance of acting ability, an affront to all unemployed female actors? NPH says there's no spin but isn't this stunt casting pure and simple? The show has now officially jumped the shark.

Posted by: Clark | Mar 19, 2008 1:13:49 PM

16. If NPH ever struggles for find acting gigs, he can always become a press agent. Nice work.

Posted by: rascal | Mar 19, 2008 2:14:09 PM

17. What a waste of a potentially heterosexual human vessel!

Posted by: michele | Apr 11, 2008 6:59:22 PM