Christopher Rice | Eliot Spitzer | Iran | Jodie Foster | John Hagee | John McCain | Kevin Federline | New York | News | Robbie Williams

News: Eliot Spitzer, Robbie Williams, Florent, Geraldine Ferraro

road.jpg New York Governor Eliot Spitzer resigns: "From those to whom much is given, much is expected. I have been given much: the love of my family, the faith and trust of the people of New York and the chance to lead this state. I am deeply sorry that I did not live up to what was expected of me. Over the course of my public life, I have insisted — I believe correctly — that people regardless of their position or power take responsibility for their conduct. I can and will ask no less of myself. For this reason, I am resigning from the office of governor."

Rice_2road.jpg Christopher Rice turns 30. Happy Birthday, Chris!

road.jpg Kevin Federline to make his Broadway debut in Legally Blonde? Pal: "This is his chance to show the world what he can do."

road.jpg Geraldine Ferraro stepping down from Clinton campaign. Letter: "Dear Hillary – I am stepping down from your finance committee so I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign. The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you. I won’t let that happen. Thank you for everything you have done and continue to do to make this a better world for my children and grandchildren. You have my deep admiration and respect. Gerry."

road.jpg Jodie Foster says she hasn't fallen in love. But what about her beautiful Cydney?

road.jpg Nicolas Sarkozy and Shimon Peres decide not to kiss.

road.jpg Martina Navratilova regains her Czech citizenship, almost three decades after fleeing the former Communist regime. She's also frustrated with the current administration in the United States: "The thing is that we elected Bush, that is worse. Against that, nobody chose a Communist government in Czechoslovakia."

Florentroad.jpg NYC landmark restaurant Florent closing in June on Gay Pride: " When his lease on 69 Gansevoort St. expires on March 31, rent will increase from $6,000 a month to approximately $50,000, and it's unlikely a deal will be struck. Florent is currently battling his landlord in court over tax increases and is withholding rent as a result. The litigation also means he does not plan to simply pack up shop on the 31st. 'I talked to my lawyer and [the restaurant] will stay open for two or three months. I'd like to end on a high note and I think Gay Pride Day would be perfect.' That's June 29, in case you want to put it in your book. He also says he'd like to hold a writing contest - 'people could write their best story, the most insane story, of the restaurant' - with the winner receiving a dinner on the final night."

road.jpg John McCain still hanging on to anti-gay Pastor John Hagee: "I will say that he said that his words were taken out of context, he defends his position. I hope that maybe you’d give him a chance to respond. He says he has never been anti-Catholic, but I repudiate the words that create that impression."

Rwroad.jpg Robbie Williams mangina (NSFW).

road.jpg Mehdi Kazemi, the gay Iranian teen I posted about earlier in the week who faced deportation from The Netherlands back to the UK where he faced another possible deportation back to Iran, where he'd likely be executed, lost his asylum appeal in the Netherlands: " Tuesday's decision by the Council of State -- the highest administrative court in the Netherlands --means Kazemi could face deportation to Britain, which he fears will send him back to Iran. Council spokeswoman Daniela Tempelman said the council decided it must comply with the Dublin Regulation and return Kazemi to Britain. Video Watch how teenager has lost his right to remain. Under the Dublin Regulation, European Union member nations agree that an application for asylum submitted in any EU country would be handled by that country alone. The regulation seeks to ensures that an asylum seeker is not redirected from nation to nation simply because none will take responsibility."

Comments

1. 'Kristen', the rent a girl that brought Spitzer's downfall is quoted in the NY Times.

“I just don’t want to be thought of as a monster,” the woman said as she told the tiniest tidbits of her story.

Not to worry sweetie, you are not thought of as a monster, just a high priced whore. That's not as bad as a Republican.

The most disgusting thing I read about this is that when Spitzer requested some things the agent quoted as 'unsafe'. They said it referred to him not want to use a condom. What a tool. His wife should get tested right after she tosses his ass out onto the street.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 12, 2008 7:14:23 PM

2. Nowhere in the original article (in the London Independent) does it say that Navratilova is moving back to the country of her birth. Although the article states that she now has dual citizenship (since January), there's no mention of renouncing her American citizenship or relocating.

Posted by: Mike V. | Mar 12, 2008 8:40:01 PM

3. you gotta read this about how spitzer spent 80k on highpriced snatch, hilarious:

i can't for the life of me understand why spitzer couldn't find some fuckbuddy to blow him, a mistress or something, like they do in civilized europe where politicians have mistresses or boys on the side and nobody bats an eyelash...

Posted by: the queen | Mar 12, 2008 8:53:07 PM

4. say it ain't so Florent! We're gonna miss you - now the gentrification of the meat market will be complete...no tranny prostitutes, no meat, no Florent :(

Posted by: seth | Mar 12, 2008 9:45:23 PM

5. What a sad way for Geraldine Ferraro to ruin her legacy.

She doesn't know when to shut the hell up. When you put yourself into a hole you don't get yourself out by digging deeper and deeper.

The Clinton campaign should bid her good riddance.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 12, 2008 10:17:25 PM

6. I'm sadder, Brother Zeke, that you keep drinking every drop of "They're Racist!!!" Kool Aide the Obama Borg Cafeteria keeps serving.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 12, 2008 10:29:12 PM

7. I just gotta ask, Michael...

How old are you?

Posted by: Dan | Mar 13, 2008 1:23:32 AM

8. Well, i know many LGBT. espcially bisexual single, bisexual couples and bi curious at http://bicupid.com/photo/bigirl . can view the bisexual style photos. hot but also honest girl and cute.

Posted by: shirleypoen90 | Mar 13, 2008 4:48:49 AM

9. The remarks coming out of the Clinton campaign are signs of a collpasing struggle and a desperate attempt to save it.

Hillary distances herself from Gerladine's racist statement, but refuses to "reject and denounce" her. Clinton's remark that the Florida primary in January was "fair and those delegates should be seated," is laughable.

How can anyone believe that someone who behaves this way can sincerely and honestly say they will fight for the American people, stand up for them and have their best interests in her heart?

I think I hear the fat lady warming up.

Posted by: NowItMatters | Mar 13, 2008 7:15:26 AM

10. Unfortunately Zeke, this latest despicable statement and evasive spin does not ruin Ferrarro's legacy but, rather, is a fitting capstone which encapsulates her divisive and pandering style of politics. She has used the same smear before against other opponents. She and her family are among the slimiest of political hacks. Ferraro's style fits perfectly with Billary's campaign. They will say anything, and then try to spin it, they will accuse others of using their own tactics, and they will never admit wrongdoing.

I am hopeful that this latest debacle of a campaign continues to open people's eyes to the true nature of the Clintons and that they will be shut down permanently. Hill and Bill have consistently abused the gay community by sucking money from us and then throwing us under the political bus. Ferrarro did the same thing, just Google her homophobic Mafiosi husband and son. And yet many refuse to see reality and blindly support HRC.

I would rather face down a bigot who does not deny she is one, than a turncoat who lies to our face, vacuums up our money, but will not stand up for us when it counts.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 13, 2008 7:36:16 AM

11. I just gotta ask, Michael...

How old are you?

POSTED BY: DAN | MAR 13, 2008 1:23:32 AM
    ---------------
    Careful Dan, if you poke the idiot with a comment, thought or a stick it tends to spit out more crap. I wonder who he will vote for if Obama wins the nomination. Nader? Clinton with Obama as VP? Or does he take his toys home and play with himself, not a pretty visual.

Posted by: Patrick nyc | Mar 13, 2008 7:36:27 AM

12. Andy, Could you post Olbermann's editorial re: Ferrarro's comment and Clinton's non-response? It is brilliant. Hey Towleroadies--especially those politically inclined--go to the MSNBC site and listen to this impassioned and insightful plea for civility and doing what is right, and politically smart.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 13, 2008 7:57:22 AM

13. I like David Patterson much more than Spitzer. re florent: Rent will jump for $6000 to $50,000? Holy crap!! I always here reports how everything in NYC keeps getting more and more expensive meanwhile every year another thousand people show up out of nowhere.

Posted by: daveynyc | Mar 13, 2008 9:54:17 AM

14. If anyone thinks that the whole Ferraro thing wasn't deliberate, they're kidding themselves. Olberman was dead-on in terms of how slimey and plotted this was.

Unfortunately, Clinton has hit a home run with her target audience, the Michael Bedwells of America.

As the Republicans were so good at using gay marriage in 2004, Hillary is using race to divide the party. Her goal is to shape the conversation into one about race instead of policy. Bill Clinton did something similar in 1992 with his Sistah Souljah comments.

Mathematically, there's no way for her to win the nomination. So, she'll have to have super-delegates overturn the nomination. If that happens, how many Obama supporters would decide to stay at home? Look at all of the young people who were apathetic and uninvolved with politics. If they see that their votes don't matter, why should they bother to vote in November?

Posted by: noah | Mar 13, 2008 10:31:17 AM

15. Well, if y'all say that Spitzer is a dawg who deserve what he got, then I'm not about to argue. It must be horrendous for his daughters; his wife probably could castrate him at this point. But the fact that he was so hated on Wall Street makes him STILL a minor hero for me. I wish he was able to kick their GREEDY REAGAN ERA MENTALITY ASSES just a little bit more.

Gentrification only helps rich people, it doesn't do a damn thing for the rest of us. The muggers, crack heads and hookers may be gone, but then there's nothing left except empty-headed and empty-hearted yuppies--most of whom will vote for neither Barack nor Hillary.

I didn't realize FERRARO was such a Richard Daley/Frank Rizzo/Ed Koch type Democrat. I guess, I should have known better. There's much more to Obama than his blackness. I can't think of any other black politician who could be where he is now--no matter how black they are. I can think of plenty of white politicians who should have been in Geraldine Ferraro's spot in 1984.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 13, 2008 10:38:12 AM

16. Yeah, I'll be pissed if Martina dumps her US citizenship and bolts back to Czechoslovakia. We don't need fair-weather citizens who make their millions and then take off instead of sticking around to fight to make this country better.

Posted by: Yeek | Mar 13, 2008 12:12:32 PM

17. Back in the day, ANY night after 1:00 a.m. at Florent was an insane story. The craziest, coolest, most outrageous and chill scene in all of New York after-hours (with the original Flamingo East--when it was still a restaurant--coming in a close second). All things must pass, but it's a shame nevertheless.

Posted by: rascal | Mar 13, 2008 12:29:20 PM

18. Martina is not dumping her US citizenship and she's not moving back to Czechoslovakia -- which would be difficult, as the country no longer exists.

She's keeping dual citizenship and opening a tennis academy in Czech Republic.

This all reminds me of the Dixie Chicks business -- what, you can't criticize Bush and the Republicans without being told to leave the country?

Posted by: Kevinvt | Mar 13, 2008 1:02:34 PM

19. Who is Xristopher Rice?

Posted by: anon | Mar 13, 2008 1:47:14 PM

20. Who told Martina to leave? I'd be angry if she did.

Posted by: Yeek | Mar 13, 2008 2:30:15 PM