Christian Siriano | Fashion Men | Film | News | Sarah Jessica Parker | Sex and the City

Sarah Jessica Parker: Project Runway Winner 'Gifted, Intimidating'

Guestblogger In the first in a series of interview clips from Josh Koll and Josh Helmin of Josh & Josh are Rich and Famous with the cast members of the upcoming Sex and the City movie, Sarah Jessica Parker reveals how she became a judge on Project Runway, and what her thoughts were about the show's winner, who was revealed last night.

Sjp_2

"Being a judge was the hardest secret I’ve ever had to keep in my life because I shot it way last spring," said Parker. "One of my best friends in the entire world is Andrew Cohen (Watch What Happens on Bravo) and he had asked me for a number of years to be a judge. I had always declined because the best part of that show is being in the audience. And first of all, what would I be doing there anyway? You know how people go on talk shows and they have nothing to talk about? But then I started this clothing line and Andy kept creating these scenarios for me to come on the show.

For those of you who haven't seen the finale yet, we'll spare you and talk about who won, and Sarah Jessica Parker's thoughts on the winner, AFTER THE JUMP...(SPOILERS)

As many of you know, Christian Siriano was revealed as the winner last night.

Siriano In the episode which Parker guest judged, she chose an outfit by Victorya Hong for her Bitten line. She did have some interesting words for us in our recent interview about Christian, however.

Said Parker:

"The work room is not at all what I pictured. I had it all turned around in my head. It’s a much smaller space—television always expands things, for better or worse. Just being with those designers was remarkable and seeing what they could do with fifteen friggin’ dollars.

"The hardest part—and Andy will tell you this—was the judging. I found it very uncomfortable. I have always found that people flourish when you’re constructive, and not snarky. I think Michael Kors is really good—he’s hardcore—he’s a designer and a businessman and he cuts to the chase, but I’m just not equipped.

"The thing with Christian haunted me for days. I kept writing to Andy and said, 'You’ve got to tell him how much I love him,' but at the end of the day it was just not the right piece for the collection. On the show you don’t get to see all the nice things I said to Christian about his work. He’s so talented. I really admired him, but he’s also a very intimidating young man. He’s really gifted."

Sex and the City: the Movie is in theaters May 30.

Bravo TV has an interview up with winner Christian Siriano.

Below, a recent clip released by Project Runway of Christian Siriano and Tim Gunn doing a "walk-off".

Comments

1. Oh now I get it. You must have a financial stake in this up coming movie. It is the only rational explanation for promoting it.

There can be no other logical reason.

Posted by: protogenes | Mar 6, 2008 8:51:47 AM

2. Oh, leave it alone.

Posted by: AND GO SEE IT ALREADY | Mar 6, 2008 9:02:31 AM

3. I watched PR most of this season..and that Christian got on my last nerve,Yes..he's very talented....Im a a Gay man and his additude makes me wanna "Slap the Shit" outa him....the young man needs to be knocked down a peg,and try to find some Humility!

Posted by: Rex | Mar 6, 2008 9:18:47 AM

4. OHH I know - Christian and Chris Crocker in a FIGHTing "BITCH" Match.....Rrrrrrrrrr

Posted by: Rex | Mar 6, 2008 9:21:02 AM

5. That video of Christian & Tim Gunn is great -- but I think my favorite part is when Tim Gunn gets tickled by Heidi Klum. :)

Posted by: Chris M | Mar 6, 2008 9:23:24 AM

6. Christian comes off as being full of himself on the show. But that's TV editing for ya.

If you watch Christian's face when the winning decision is announced, he isn't a cocky bitch. He's a scared young man, nervously twitching his face, who just wanted to win soooo much. I for one am really glad that he did. He deserves it!

Posted by: Bearotic.com | Mar 6, 2008 11:25:22 AM

7. He's 21 yrs old.

He got on Project Runway, let alone the fact that he won it. He was the fan favorite and a lead contender for the win from day one.

For better or worse, Posh Spice is one of his favorite fashion icons and the woman said she loved his work and would wear any of his pieces.

And he's only 21. What were you doing when you were 21?

People treat him like he's one of these American Idol wannabees who can't sing to save their lives but think they're destined for stardom. But Christian, as Nina put it, delivers.

He may have a youthful brash attitude, but arrogant? It reminds me of a T mobile commercial in which some tween says into the phone, "you're not arrogant - you're just being honest".

He's not arrogant, he's just that good.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 6, 2008 11:50:14 AM

8. He sooooooo derserved it!!
    Christian is going places for sure!!

Congrats!!!!

Pumpkin Man

Posted by: Pumpkin Man | Mar 6, 2008 11:56:40 AM

9. i loved the christian won, and went insane over the bitten dress he made.

but my boyfriend hates christian because of some of the reason pointed out in the comments.

the pattern i seem to notice is that we don't like people who are talented also noticing that they are talented. everything he says about other designers is true, and he says it to their face, which is an admirable quality in a human being. and the fact that he can criticize while being approachable and funny makes him likable, in my opinion.

Posted by: Ian | Mar 6, 2008 12:52:42 PM

10. Cristian came off as a cocky brat. That was the editing deparment for Project Runway. It is there job to make it interesing for the viewers. Cristian beat some very talented designers this year. What I do love is that BRAVO is celebrating all aspects of gay life. Older men, Big teddy bear types, the twink, HIV+ guys who never have a voice or a place on TV, The homo fabulous and even the sraight/bi guy who is a designer and integrates beautifully within the gay world. The gays were out shamelessly and we watch them, love them, hate them, just like any other silly reality show. This show however, displays incredible talent. Like one poster said what were you doing when you were 21? Now, Cristian needs to make a lot of smart chioces and not blow the money in dance clubs and gay bars like most full of themselves 21 year old gay boys. That will really show us who really won.

Posted by: Ken | Mar 6, 2008 1:21:28 PM

11. So happy that Christian won! Both Jillian and Rami are great, but Christian made me go WOW! throughout the season, and he brought it to the final runway show.

He's an artist, and I think he's incredibly sweet underneath all that bratty bravado.

Posted by: michael | Mar 6, 2008 7:48:36 PM

12. The thing that I hate the most about Christian, is the fact that he kept tossing out that he interned with Vivian Westwood and Alexander McQueen... all I saw from his work, Christian, is old Vivian, stuff she had done years ago. Nothing new, nothing inovative, nothing progressive, just a rehashing of her work. Yes, he is a good seamstress, but that is about it.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 8, 2008 5:02:21 PM

13. i am SO happy that Christian won! I met him in TOWN, dc club and he was so freaking cute, a total hipster emo-type. he's so good, it's like he almost has esp(n) ;>

i agree with prior posts with how awesome it was that bravo showed all types of our community.

thats's what i loved MOST about Christian.

unabashedly openly talented and comfortable with himself...being gay was not the point. being young, driven, experienced and talented was the point.

Posted by: ruff | Mar 9, 2008 4:35:04 PM