Architecture | Mariah Carey | New York | News

Empire State Building to 'Glitter' for Mariah Carey

Empire

Hey New Yorkers, if you look up at the Empire State Building this weekend and wonder why it's lit in pink, lavender, and white, it's because the largest phallus in New York state is honoring...Mariah Carey.

According to a press release, that's apparently the color 'motif' of the new album E=MC² and she's going to be at a ceremony tomorrow at 1 pm at the building where she's going to flip the switch on a scale model of the building that I guess will light up and, I don't know, play Touch My Body or something.

Comments

1. In a much better note:

Cyndi Lauper is releasing her brand new album May 27, 2008

Bring Ya To The Brink

Check out the samples of her new album on Youtube:

The whole album sounds SUPER HOT!!! Cyndi supports our community more than anyone in the music industry!

Posted by: Brian | Apr 24, 2008 7:18:42 PM

2. Now THERE'S a skank if I ever saw one!

Posted by: Marc | Apr 24, 2008 7:24:51 PM

3. Leona never would have let this happen when she owned the building.

Posted by: 24play | Apr 24, 2008 7:40:14 PM

4. Which weekend is Stacey Q flipping her switch?

Posted by: RD | Apr 24, 2008 8:30:16 PM

5. As a New Yorker, I do NOT approve. I'm fine with national holidays, even those of nations not our own (Israeli Independence Day, India Day...). Gay Pride, St. Patrick's, and Halloween, also okay.

But when it becomes "your concert's colors here; contact www.ESBLights.com about reservations and financing...?" NO!

Posted by: Glen | Apr 24, 2008 9:04:28 PM

6. God, stop being such a buzz kill guys. It's fun and festive. The Empire doesn't do shit but sit there anyway. Loosen the fuck up.

Posted by: Chino | Apr 24, 2008 9:11:01 PM

7. Mariah is a proud New Yorker and what's not to approve? It'll just be for the weekend. They did light the ESB on the Simpsons's colors when The Simpsons movie came out.

Posted by: qram | Apr 24, 2008 9:15:30 PM

8. Mariah is a vain female whom we in the gay community have enabled. Yet what has she ever done for gay rights? If anyone knows, I'm all ears.

Posted by: jason | Apr 24, 2008 9:15:43 PM

9. Mariah is a proud New Yorker and what's not to approve? It'll just be for the weekend. They did light the ESB on the Simpsons's colors when The Simpsons movie came out.

Posted by: qram | Apr 24, 2008 9:16:14 PM

10. Why should they light it up for some slutty whore?
    Her music is no great art, she's got the same old tired boring album as the last one and the one before that.

She's a BORING SLUT!

Posted by: Mike | Apr 24, 2008 9:29:33 PM

11. Jason,

Get over yourself, man. It's all friggin marketing, and no one said you had to like it. And who the hell says she's got to do anything for ya? Please.

Mike,

Such a vile and ignorant statement. Not enough to express your dislike, but you spew your bile as if it's something done specifically to you. Get a grip.

Posted by: silverskreen | Apr 24, 2008 10:34:58 PM

12. Sorry but the truth is that we in the gay community continue to prop up female artists who pander to the sleazy straight guy fantasy. Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Madonna...the list goes on and on. All these attention harlots do is trade on wearing as little clothing as possible in order to forge a career. Their images are akin to those you find in a sleazy straight men's rag.

When are we in the gay community going to stop enabling them? When hell freezes over?

Posted by: jason | Apr 24, 2008 10:53:02 PM

13. Jason,

So, what exactly is it that you propose?

Posted by: silverskreen | Apr 24, 2008 11:02:31 PM

14. I am with Chino - ligthen up.

It is New York City - the CENTER
    of AMERICAN CAPITALISM. Don't be
    so shocked as to where you actually
    live. Just because it is all pretty and
    clean now - it is still New Yawk.

We already have Colonial Williamsburg --- New York City has become just quaint enough already. On with the lights for New York City Gal MIMI. Just for fun. I dont even own one of her albums - but damn she had the funniest CRIBS EPISODE EVER.

Posted by: rjp3 | Apr 24, 2008 11:08:48 PM

15. I think we need to start supporting gay and bisexual male artists. Keep in mind the current parlous representation of gay and bisexual men in the music industry, with virtually no openly gay or bi male artists on any of the charts. We shouldn't be out there supporting females who pander to the sleazy straight guy fantasy. It's a form of self-oppression on our part, and I'm sick of it.

Posted by: jason | Apr 25, 2008 12:17:39 AM

16. talentless dolphin squealing ho.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 25, 2008 12:31:32 AM

17. They should have selected the Lincoln Tunnel instead...what's next? Tits on the Statue of Liberty? Seems odd to me. What I dislike about Mariah is that every press release she sends out (I get them all being in entertainment publishing) says she just beat Elvis for #1s and is "the ONLY living singer who could surpass the Beatles for most #1s," which is untrue as all young singers with long careers ahead of them are capable of that. I'm a chart man, so I get that, but Mariah is ONLY about the charts, the #1s—she deep-discounts singles and does anything else necessary to get big numbers. She's mainly trying to outdo Madonna...but then she forgets Barbra Streisand is way ahead of her in overall album sales. I think it's fine for us nutcase fans to piss our pants when Mariah (or whoever) hits #1, but it's embarrassing when the artists themselves care that much...

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Apr 25, 2008 12:32:48 AM

18. Jason,

While I understand the desire to see more GLBT artist in the mainstream. I can't say that simply because they're of our community they'll be better than what is out there. Someone's sexual orientation doesn't make them a better or worse artist.

The fact of the matter is that sex sells, and you'd be hard pressed to show me that the same scenario doesn't apply to GLBT acts.

You keep saying "sleezy straight guy fantasy". Last time I checked, it isn't straight guys buying Kylie, Mariah, Madonna, etc...and not just the gay community either.

I'm all for supporting GLBT artist, but I am not going to limit myself to those artists simply because of their orientation. Please.

Posted by: silverskreen | Apr 25, 2008 12:34:41 AM

19. Jason, she is just a singer!! If you don't like her and her songs, that's fine. why everything has to do with "supporting this, supporting that"??

"Mariah is a vain female whom we in the gay community have enabled." oh, please!! I am sure her millions of albums sold more to the straight folks than gay folks.

It's really not necessary use "we" & "gay community" on everything.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 25, 2008 12:52:32 AM

20. Mariah has always been true to her gay fans. She's performed at gay clubs before, given interviews to The Advocate, and is best friends with a gay man (Trey Lorenz). She titled one of her CDs "Rainbow" for crying out loud. She has a song called "Outside" that she wrote about feeling different in the world, and she said she can empathize with the LGBT community about not always feeling like they fit in, and she hopes they are able to relate to the song. Mariah's manager, Benny Medina, was named one of the most powerful gay people in America. Oh yeah, and Andre Leon Talley is one of her main advisors, Editor-at-Large of Vogue, a huge gay figure. Mariah appreciates the gay community, and is quick to recognize them as a big part of her fanbase. I am proud to call myself a huge Mariah and gay supporter.

Posted by: Jake | Apr 25, 2008 12:58:55 AM

21. I am a proud Mariah gay fan as well.

You might not like her music, but I appreciate her music, and her music has helped me through the times of coming to terms with my own sexuality and the death of the most important person in my life. And the few times I have met her, she has always been great. She keeps telling the world not to judge...

bottom line is, you might not like her, but I do. So, why such harsh words. Live and let live. I thought as a gay man, you can understand that.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 25, 2008 1:10:17 AM

22. Man what's in the water you guys are all drinking? Mean-Tequilla? Ouch!

IMHO: Mariah's new album TOTALLY knocks the socks off Madonna's.

You guys are all just bitter and jealous because she is sooooooo much more fabulous than you will EVER be!

Posted by: bendskier | Apr 25, 2008 1:12:24 AM

23. Mariah has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR THE GAY COMMUNITY! Stop being blind. I much rather go with anyone that really supports our community! Cyndi Lauper is doing a great job with her True Colors Tour- bringing awareness in Red States and promoting diversity. I will definitely buy her new album.

Posted by: Pete | Apr 25, 2008 1:32:52 AM

24. Matt, Bendskier,

They're just a little OOC...and not in a good way. ;)

Posted by: Silverskreen | Apr 25, 2008 1:34:03 AM

25. You guys are all just bitter and jealous because she is sooooooo much more fabulous than you will EVER be????????

I don't want to be "fabulous" or "Fierce" I got balls between my legs and I don't want to look like Mariah - Not even if I was going to a Halloween party. I agree with Pete, It is time for our community to support those who are fighting for us. Not the ones that whisper that they love their "gay boys" I am not selling myself cheap. By the way I am a very happy person...the difference is that I am tired of celebrities that pretend to support us...when they really don't. If Mariah really supports our community ...why isn't she going out of her "busy" way to teach awareness to closed minded people???? It may hurt her career.

I admire Cyndi's courage!

Posted by: John | Apr 25, 2008 1:39:18 AM