Architecture | Mariah Carey | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Empire State Building to 'Glitter' for Mariah Carey

Empire

Hey New Yorkers, if you look up at the Empire State Building this weekend and wonder why it's lit in pink, lavender, and white, it's because the largest phallus in New York state is honoring...Mariah Carey.

According to a press release, that's apparently the color 'motif' of the new album E=MC² and she's going to be at a ceremony tomorrow at 1 pm at the building where she's going to flip the switch on a scale model of the building that I guess will light up and, I don't know, play Touch My Body or something.

Comments

1. Pete,

I tell you what she really hasn't done. She hasn't spewed a bunch of hateful and demeaning words about our community. That's for damn sure. Which is more than I can say about some of the posters here who can so artfully dispense with the hatred in the same breath they clamor for acceptance, tolerance or equality.

So, whatever...let Mimi sing!

Posted by: Silverskreen | Apr 25, 2008 1:50:05 AM

2. Haven't our skyscrapers suffered enough?

Posted by: Roscoe | Apr 25, 2008 7:20:47 AM

3. Wow such animosity towards Mariah! I would have expected this in the Madonna fanclub forums, but not really here. And for the record, I am a fan of both, but Madonna's album is not good (got it last week and, except for one song, it kinda stinks of desperation, if you ask me).
    Anyway not that Mariah SHOULD have to be a proactive supporter of the gay community in order to have them light the Empire State Building (and god its so stupid and petty that people are even annoyed by that fact!), but she DOES support the gay community. She has said on numerous occasions how much she adores her gay fanbase and even performed at the first GAY one mighty party in paris last summer in the pouring rain, as a benefit for the Elton John AIDS foundation.
    And not to use the "my best friend is a..." line, but her best friends are Trey Lorenz and Da Brat, who i'm pretty sure is a bonified lesbian.
    If you don't like her music, fine, but all the childish name-calling is just ridiculous.

Posted by: Bobby | Apr 25, 2008 7:50:54 AM

4. Don't sell yourself cheap. There's a difference between "I adore my gay friends" and getting your hands dirty. Gay people need to wake up. How does it make you feel when you go to a wedding in a small town and someone that knows you are gay tells you. I know a gay person in my town...he's a hairdresser...his name is so and so....do you know him????
    That's exactly the same crap that Mariah does when she talks about the gay community. Get your hands dirty - DO SOMETHING. That's what I call SUPPORT...knowing someone is not SUPPORTING SOMEONE......WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!

Posted by: Steve | Apr 25, 2008 9:39:51 AM

5. She's still and always will be a hag ! A tired, overexposed, slutty-looking, has-been, putting out the same record every 2 years WHORE!

Posted by: Marc | Apr 25, 2008 9:59:16 AM

6. Marc enough about your mother man....the post was about Mariah.

I mean really, some of you queens are so damn ridiculous and just plain old nasty.

"Mariah is (someone) the gay community (has) enabled" and "When are we in the gay community going to stop enabling them" those have to rank right up there with some of the dumbest things ever uttered on Towleroad. Jason have you seen your therapist this week? Time for a meds tweak I would say.

Posted by: Derek | Apr 25, 2008 10:15:12 AM

7. geez! it's just the empire state building. it's not even your lives. if you don't enjoy her music, then move on. mariah has a gay fan base, whether or not she 'gets down and dirty or do something' for the community. it's a known fact. so lighten up, fans of other divas. maybe your favorites will get their turn at ESB. this weekend is mariah's. so let it be.

Posted by: qram | Apr 25, 2008 10:50:22 AM

8. I am all for capitalism and free marketing. However, this project appears to be very wasteful of energy. I think she, and her advisers, could have come up with something a little more "green."

Posted by: Shelley | Apr 25, 2008 10:52:41 AM

9. I have never fallen for the "I support gay people" routine or the "I attended a fund-raiser for AIDS" line. Whoop-te-doo! When a celebrity says it, it's usually for the purpose of ingratiating oneself with the gay community rather than out of any profound concern for gay relationship rights. It's called PR, pure and simple.

Face it, Mariah is like Madonna in the way she sprinkles out her supposed gay-friendliness in carefully calibrated tones and statements. Not good enough, Mariah. And I personally don't give a rat's if her manager is gay or not. That doesn't mean anything to me.

Posted by: jason | Apr 25, 2008 11:01:59 AM

10. Sorrry Guys and Dolls,

But Mariah's new CD put me to sleep and that was trying to listen to that in 2 days. I'm glad I borrowed her new CD and did not buy it. I was never so happy to get rid of a CD in my life. To that, I loved the last CD. Also, what's with track #6? It so sounds like Janet with MJ thrown in for good measure. To boot, I'm sure she will reach her 20th # one with this disk.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Apr 25, 2008 11:05:18 AM

11. Can I just add that I'd rather go for Donna Summer over Mariah anyday. Donna's voice was better and her songs actually had energy that set floors alight. On the other hand, Mariah sings predominantly dreary ballads that have come out of Clive Davis's mush machine.

Posted by: jason | Apr 25, 2008 11:05:30 AM

12. Silverskreen..

I love OOC!!!! One of my favourite tracks from the new album!!!!

Posted by: Matt | Apr 25, 2008 11:10:59 AM

13. silverskreen...
    Lighten up, honey. It's just entertainment. It's not that serious...

Posted by: Chaka | Apr 25, 2008 11:17:48 AM

14. Whore? Really? That's a little too much misogyny for one friday morning. Jeez she's a pop star - nothing more or nothing less - be your own hero and grow the fuck up.

Posted by: Giovanni | Apr 25, 2008 11:20:27 AM

15. When will people stop talking (or typing) just to hear themselves speak (or read their... you get the analogy).

Mariah. Empire State Building. Pink. It's over.

Posted by: junior | Apr 25, 2008 11:55:42 AM

16. Matt,

Hahaha...yeah, love it! #4 is my favorite, however. Oh, and Crusie Control and Side effects.

Chaka,

LOL!! That's rich! 'Cause all the other posts were so light and up beat? Haha...too funny, "honey".

Posted by: silverskreen | Apr 25, 2008 12:10:00 PM

17. Get over it, people.

Posted by: Blazed | Apr 25, 2008 12:19:50 PM

18. Some of you are so serious. How does Mariah lighting up the ESB become an LGBT issue? It's marketing, not a socio-political message. Jeebus Christy, people.
    And gay community? I have to say I hate that phrase and that "community" doesn't exist. First of all calling us the "gay community" only serves to separate us from the rest of world. You don't hear straight people screaming "straight community." We are part of the rest of the world, folks.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 25, 2008 12:40:46 PM

19. Wow,

you guys sound like a bunch of teenage girls. I guess that's how you know you've made it, when otherwise mature adult gay men blow through minutes of their lives just to debate about your mere public image.

Mariah is an incredibly successful New Yorker. That's that. It's only for a weekend and how many native NY-ers actually sit around staring at the ESB anyways?

And further more, we really need to get off the "what have they done for the gay community?" podium. I mean, how many movies would we watch, songs would we download, consumer goods would we purchase if we only supported those who support us? Does every item of clothing on every single one of our bodies right now reflect support for a clothier who supports us?

Posted by: Derrrick | Apr 25, 2008 1:23:35 PM

20. Very well said, Derrick.

As Mariah would have said it, "it's not that deep." Get over it.

Posted by: qram | Apr 25, 2008 2:57:03 PM

21. Please just give up bitch. Go away and stay away whore.

Posted by: Mitch | Apr 25, 2008 7:35:13 PM

22. LONG LIVE MADONNA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Joe | Apr 25, 2008 7:57:54 PM

23. yeah, let Mimi sing!!!!!

The entire album is just soooooo good!!!! So much better than the last one...

Posted by: matt | Apr 26, 2008 12:05:20 AM

24. Roscoe, that was a horrible comment.

Posted by: JD | Apr 27, 2008 12:03:08 AM