AIDS/HIV | Christian Siriano | Discrimination | Harvey Milk | Jake Gyllenhaal | Leslie Jordan | Martha Stewart | New York | News | Playing Gay | Robert Downey Jr. | Sports | Television | Tori Spelling

News: Tori Spelling, Paw Paw, NYC Nightlife, ACT UP, Jason Mraz

road.jpg New York may soon no longer be the city that never sleeps.

Mrazroad.jpg Jason Mraz on his new album and why he surrounds himself with gay people: "To me it’s not an issue of gay or straight; it’s just a coincidence that the people I hang out with happened to be … gay folk. And I, as a writer, have always written from a feminine side. I take yoga, and I practice my spirituality, to balance my heaven and earth, to balance my masculine and my feminine, you know? And I think what I find hanging out in the gay community, there’s more of a balance in the masculine and feminine qualities in the lifestyle than in a typical straight relationship or just in a straight person."

road.jpg Tori Spelling anoints herself a gay icon: "I'm a huge fan of gays. They love me; I love them. They consider me kind of a gay icon, which they've labeled me as."

road.jpg Justice Department confirms inquiry into whether U.S. Attorney Leslie Hagen was fired because she is a lesbian: "Assistant U.S. Attorney Leslie A. Hagen was informed in 2006 that her contract working on Indian affairs in the Justice Department's Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys would not be renewed for a second year — despite receiving the highest possible performance reviews. When NPR first reported Hagen's case earlier this month, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) asked the Inspector General's Office and the Office of Professional Responsibility to confirm that they were looking into Hagen's case."

road.jpg Jake Gyllenhaal stands underneath an umbrella - ella - ella.

Jordanroad.jpg Leslie Jordan, who stars in the upcoming Sordid Lives, headlined a fundraiser on Monday night for NYC's Harvey Milk High School scholarship fund.

road.jpg Harvey Milk City Hall Memorial Committee seeks donors to help fund cost of unveiling event on May 22, what would have been Milk's 78th birthday. More on the Memorial here.

road.jpg In other Milk news, what is recognized as the first public tribute to Harvey Milk after his death, a mural painted on the side of the Duboce Park recreation center named in his honor, will soon be painted over. The city plans to paint a different work (also honoring Milk) on the rec center's east-facing wall, and place another memorial inside the building's lobby.

road.jpg A FIRST LOOK at Project Runway winner Christian Siriano's appearance on Ugly Betty.

Baileyroad.jpg Next week, Law & Order: SVU will feature pro football player who is outed when his lover is murdered. This Bailey Chase, the player.

road.jpg Animated Disney hunks become underwear models

road.jpg Martha Stewart remembers her Chow, Paw Paw, who died last Saturday.

road.jpg "Fearless" exhibit of openly gay athletes opens at San Ramon Valley High School in San Francisco's Bay Area.

road.jpg Robert Downey Jr. sucks a mean thumb.

road.jpg Jay Blotcher recalls the lessons he learned on the front lines of ACT UP. He'll be appearing tomorrow at NYU with other ACT UP alums at NYU's Cantor Film Center: "This wasn’t some haphazard group—our media committee had members that were publicists at major firms. Michelangelo Signorile, my predecessor as media coordinator, applied showbiz-PR tactics to ACT UP and got us a lot of attention."

Comments

1. Andy,
    Those Disney cartoons are really good, they might deserve a small thumbnail in your news posting.

Posted by: Felix | Apr 17, 2008 1:53:43 PM

2. I think it would have been much more sensible if Jason Mraz just said "I like them, they're funny, they help me shop because they wear great clothes."

I can't imagine they're helping him balance his masculine and feminine sides while he practices his spirituality. They *might* be snickering about the amount of product in his hair.

Posted by: David D. | Apr 17, 2008 2:05:38 PM

3. Jason Mraz and Jakey in one thread...girl, I'm at work can you not get me all excited please?

Posted by: Banne | Apr 17, 2008 2:07:39 PM

4. 2am, nyc...that is total bullshit. what a terrible idea.

Posted by: bigggnasty | Apr 17, 2008 2:15:46 PM

5. RIP Paw Paw. You were a beautiful dog and I'm sure you will be missed by all who were lucky enough to know you!

Posted by: mike | Apr 17, 2008 2:33:16 PM

6. Jay Blotcher was always a self promoter and had a lot less to do with Act Up than what he CLAIMS. In the early days of Act Up, Jay's motives were often questionable and was asked to stop attending the meetings due to his behaviour which was many thought was brought upon by "additiction issues". Jay should be ashamed of himself!!

Posted by: jeff | Apr 17, 2008 2:39:14 PM

7. jason mraz is hawwwt. sometimes i get a hankerin' for a skinny, smart, geeky, open-minded boy. as michael stipe once said, "i'm an equal opportunity lech[er]."

Posted by: nic | Apr 17, 2008 3:08:17 PM

8. Yeah, I would like to hold Jake's, ahem, "umbrella". Ah, spring: when a young man's fancy turns to fancy young men. Today is such a beautiful day that I will not even let that picture of Jake's fugly costume spoil it.

Congrats and thank you to all involved in the San Ramon high school gay education event(s).

Posted by: rudy | Apr 17, 2008 3:08:43 PM

9. Okay, what does it say about me that I got rock hard looking at the Disney hunks in underwear? Damn!

Posted by: seattle mike | Apr 17, 2008 3:26:13 PM

10. Oh for pete's sake! NY Liquor Licensing Board should take it from Torontonians. After 2am, the city is dead! So where am I supposed to party then?

Posted by: Shabaka | Apr 17, 2008 3:34:33 PM

11. OK. Jake lost 5 sexy points for having an assistant umbrella holder. Yuck.

Posted by: jopa | Apr 17, 2008 3:36:23 PM

12. OK. Jake lost 5 sexy points for having an assistant umbrella holder. Yuck.

Posted by: jopa | Apr 17, 2008 3:37:37 PM

13. Jopa, he is on set, that is her job. I am sure Jake would not have someone else hold his umbrella if that wasn't the case.

Posted by: DJ | Apr 17, 2008 4:52:49 PM

14. Tori Spelling bites.

I think maybe we homos have been a little over-generous with declarations of fierceness and divahood, if every dyed-blonde ugly heiress who was once on her dady's tv show can think she's some kind of fabulous gay icon.

Posted by: Miles | Apr 17, 2008 5:31:14 PM

15. Ummm, sorry to break the news but NYC nightlife has been dead for a few years. Apparently it's all about private parties now. But, don't despair..these things are cyclical. Everything should be back on track in another 40 or 50 years.

Posted by: excy | Apr 17, 2008 6:11:08 PM

16. I don't mean to sound harsh, but the current Duboce Park mural to Milk is pretty terrible. I take my dog there every day, and anything would be an improvement.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 17, 2008 7:21:48 PM

17. Sorry Tori but you ain't got nothing on Mary Jo Eustace (ok, you got her husband but she's better off without him).
    Here's a clip that explains things:

Eustace was the co-host of a cooking show here in Canada with Ken Kostick (her VERY queeny and hilarious co-host). It was an incredible show for its time. They had a fantastic dynamic and - I'm sure - put off many homophobes. Wish they would bring it back!

Posted by: UnionStayshyn | Apr 17, 2008 7:31:07 PM

18. Baily Chase playing gay? Yes! When he played one of Marc Blucas' buddies on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, my biggest hope was that a demon would hit them both with a gay ray or something.

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | Apr 17, 2008 10:33:09 PM

19. Mike, who the hell are you? It's disgusting to have an anonymous commenter attack Jay Blotcher and his motives. I have never heard such comments before about Jay's work with ACT UP. Remember that the New York Times banned Jay from working as a freelancer because he was too associated with ACT UP. If you are going to attack an activist, you should have the balls to use your real name.

Posted by: barry | Apr 17, 2008 11:55:41 PM

20. Att. commenter Mike. Please identify yourself fully, you anonymous shite clown. Attacking Jay Blotcher? You are pathetic. I worked in ACT UP alongside Jay in the day (spring of 1988 and onwards) and he was always there fighting the good fight. You write that Jay was asked to stop attending meetings and that he had "additiction issues." R u insane? Your command of facts is excelled only by your poor English. ACT UP meetings were open to everyone, regardless of their beliefs, behavior, etc. If you were yourself so involved and observant, why can't you even spell ACT UP properly? Please return immediately to your Scientology podlet so that Xenu may readily locate your unevolved ass and vaporize your impure thought patterns.
    Peace out.
    Conyers Thompson

Posted by: Conyers Thompson | Apr 18, 2008 1:58:52 AM

21. This is what happens to a city like New York when you've got too many rich, white breeders who want to have their urban 'hoods be just like the malls they grew up in. Although NYC nitelife has been dying a slow, agonizing death since Giuliani's terms in office and the arrival of Mayor Bloomberg, it is now apparent that the once, vibrant "city that never sleeps" is now in its terminal stages. Let's face it: NYC is over-built, over-priced and very, very over-rated. Time to move on and leave NYC to the rich, white breeders. Buenos Aires, anyone?

Posted by: al | Apr 18, 2008 6:00:21 AM

22. Well I hope NYC stays more vibrant thant Toronto currently is...'cause I'm bored out of my mind and I'm visiting in May. The one time I went there, I was in my late teens and a closet case so I didn't get to enjoy the gay scene and now that I'm 29 and mature(at least more now than then) I hope I'll get to enjoy what's left of the famed nite life...

Posted by: Shabaka | Apr 18, 2008 12:31:53 PM

23. Mike sounds jealous. Everyone knows Jay Blotcher was instrumental in getting the ACT UP message (beyond the slogans) seen and heard in the media. He was at the forefront before, during and after all the important actions that brought international visibility to ACT UP. He wrote for OutWeek, and later did great work for AMFAR. There will always be someone who wants to take a gay leader and do a phoney panty raid on the past personalities. Blotcher probably rejected Mike 25 years ago.

Posted by: Kelly | Apr 18, 2008 2:37:36 PM