Brazil | News | Ricky Martin

BigGayDeal.com

Ricky Martin Buys His Own Island

Rm3

Ricky Martin has reportedly bought his own island off the coast of Rio de Janeiro:

"According to Mexican newspaper El Universal, Martin, who has had his heart set on buying the land for several months, paid nearly $8 million dollars for the private island."

Martin was in Washington DC yesterday speaking at 'Call and Live: A Campaign Against Human Trafficking in Washington, D.C.' to launch a hotline that would aid in anti-trafficking and victim protection. According to TRN, "'Call and Live' is a hotline that is used to report human trafficking violations, and has already received over 55,000 phone calls to report wrongdoings. The IDB initiative against human trafficking is meant to be used by Latin nations in order to help their efforts to 'prevent, protect, and prosecute.'"

Rm2 Rm

TMZ caught up with Martin on his way to the event, noting that the Puerto Rican singer is looking fine. Martin attributed his svelte figure to Capoeira.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The lengths people will go to stay in the closet.

Posted by: liz | Apr 30, 2008 9:41:49 AM

2. Love the cause, like the man - hate the current choice in facial hair!

Posted by: Muscato | Apr 30, 2008 10:13:19 AM

3. I actually "swoon" & "sigh" every time I see him.

Posted by: Pugzz | Apr 30, 2008 10:42:53 AM

4. What's up with the douche-tache?

Posted by: banjiboi | Apr 30, 2008 12:04:50 PM

5. What's up with the douche-tache?

Posted by: banjiboi | Apr 30, 2008 12:05:33 PM

6. Always loved him! And he looks HAWT in my books! Take me to your island, papi chulo!

Posted by: Shabaka | Apr 30, 2008 12:51:25 PM

7. Smart move on his part. Guy can now get some privacy, which he and any other celebrity deserves. All these cell-phone snoops with their phone-cams have gone too far. Like the Van Gogh, Ricky. You are still my fave latino singer.

Posted by: mike | Apr 30, 2008 1:21:54 PM

8. That b*tch stole my damn idea! And you know what? I will be on an overnight flight to his "private" little island off the coast of Rio just as soon as my private jet is up and running again! (I'm having it re-draped and installing new carpeting...)

Can anyone else imagine the HOTNESS that will be that island?!? I can't be the only one...fresh pineapples, warm weather year round, white sandy beaches under an aquamarine sea...

Oh, and did I mention the SEX?! With the hot, banana leaf clad Brazilian manservants running around the island doing Capoeira and serving me...fresh pina coladas, that is...

And he bought it for $8 MILLION DOLLARS?!? That'll get you a two-bedroom condo on the fourth floor here in San Francisco!

Ooh. This story got me all worked up! I may need a moment.

And P.S., isn't Capoeira a Brazilian sugar rum? How come I can drink all the rum I want and not look like that hot sexy butch b*tch?!

Life is not fair. ;P

Posted by: Brooks | Apr 30, 2008 1:33:14 PM

9. Google wins again. A Caipirinha is a drink made with the Brazilian sugar rum Cachaca... Add some more "C"s to the list of things I'll be trying while on Ricky Martin's private island! >;)

Posted by: Brooks | Apr 30, 2008 1:40:34 PM

10. Brooks they do make decaf coffee - maybe you might give it a try.

Posted by: Derek | Apr 30, 2008 1:59:27 PM

11. he has many because he work alwaysssssss so why don't buy whatever he wants..??

he's a great human being!!! I'm very proud!! :)

Posted by: Isabel | Apr 30, 2008 2:17:44 PM

12. he has money because he wrk alwayas!!!!!!!!!!!! so why don't buy whatever he wants??
    He's a great human being!! I'm very proud!! :)

Posted by: Isabel | Apr 30, 2008 2:20:56 PM

13. OMG, Derek... You're so right. I knew I shouldn't have upgraded to that Venti this morning!

Posted by: Brooks | Apr 30, 2008 2:28:13 PM

14. And he's not going to name is Lesbos...

Posted by: anon | Apr 30, 2008 2:48:30 PM

15. Is he going to rename the island, Athos?

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Apr 30, 2008 4:47:42 PM

16. Oh sweet, he's staying at the hotel a stones throw away from my apartment. I think I'm gonna go stand there with my "I <3 Rickyyyyy" sign now.

Posted by: Noel | Apr 30, 2008 5:55:02 PM

17. I think its really sad how majority of people care more about Rickys sexuality than all of HIS HUMANITARIAN FEATS....
    I dont care where he lives, what he buys, who he dates - I think HIS DEDICATION & COMMITMENT to make this world a better place is truly AMAZING, considering how major % of other celebrities is (mis)using their influence.. he is simply awesome.
    way to go Ricky! thumbs up!

Posted by: tj | Apr 30, 2008 8:11:37 PM

18. I wonder if he'll work out on his beach with a "friend"

Posted by: liz | Apr 30, 2008 11:13:34 PM

19. Now THAT is one hot MF! Love the hair, love the facial hair....Ricky just gets hotter by the day!

Posted by: Tex... | May 3, 2008 3:34:24 PM

20. Now THAT is one hot MF! Love the hair, love the facial hair....Ricky just gets hotter by the day!

Posted by: Tex... | May 3, 2008 3:35:12 PM