Art and Design | Austria | News | Spencer Tunick

1,800 Clutch Balls for Spencer Tunick in Vienna

Tunick

Spencer Tunick, the master of the mass nude photo, hit Vienna, Austria over the weekend, photographing nearly 2,000 people in Happel Stadium. Tunick said he hoped to capture "the spirit of sports, the grand sweeping waves of stadium architecture and the abstract relation of the human form to modern structures."

No word on whether or not Austria's skin-lovin' national rugby team took part in the shot.

Two more shots AFTER THE JUMP (possibly NSFW)...

Tunick3

Tunick2

Previously
< ahref="http://www.towleroad.com/2007/10/behind-the-scen.html">Behind the Scenes of Spencer Tunick's Miami Beach Photo Shoot [tr]
Glacial Bodies: Spencer Tunick's Latest Freeze Frame [tr]

Comments

1. I appreciate what the guy's trying to do, and the logistical difficulties of making the photographs. It's not easy.

But in the end, to me it's : so what? Innumerable anonymous naked bodies doesn't inspire me, there's no beauty in the pictures. It reminds me more of terrible images of WW2, bodies stacked like firewood. There's something dehumanizing and impersonal in his pictures, I think the media-stunt aspect is most important to this photographer.

The pictures only make me think , what a gawky bunch of hairless apes humans are, pale and sunburned, in these very shallow and boring photos. Just MHO.

Posted by: Deschanel | May 12, 2008 8:30:52 PM

2. Yikes! When I glanced at that first photograph, it made me think of newborn hairless hamster or rabbits or something!

Posted by: America's Gayest Nerd | May 12, 2008 8:35:47 PM

3. tee hee... wien

Posted by: me | May 12, 2008 8:51:45 PM

4. "Tunick said he hoped to capture "the spirit of sports, the grand sweeping waves of stadium architecture and the abstract relation of the human form to modern structures."

Well he certainly fails at this. Sports (especially sexy ones like soccer) thrive on personality, vitality, individuality. Which are the opposite of his cold, inert photos. The people seem way more dead than alive in them. Fancy rubbish talk, really. He gets press for his mass nudity stagings, that seems to be the main point.

Posted by: Arundel | May 12, 2008 9:49:42 PM

5. *yawn*

it takes a smiggen more than nudity at a stadium to get 'our' attention at this point, non?

Posted by: ruckus | May 12, 2008 10:41:51 PM

6. eww gross! I can smell their moon funk already! naked people in large masses ain't pretty, sorry ;)

Posted by: marco | May 13, 2008 12:30:53 AM