Fashion Men | Hedi Slimane | Models | News

BigGayDeal.com

Finalists Announced for VMan/Ford Models Model Search

Finalists

So, these are the three finalists for the VMan/ Ford Models model search.

One contestant laments: "Ultimately, though, the final decision of picking three finalists (from a pool of over 1000) came down to industry professionals. Let me just say that I am not bitter at their decision. It is what it is. And it is symptomatic of the fashion industry in this moment... supposedly. They picked three white boys from Ohio, Alabama and Tennessee, all in their teens, all 6'1"...My mother responded 'they all look like druggies' when shown their pictures. 'Crack, Meth and Budweiser' responded someone else. They all share a sort of scrawny muscular bad boy not intimidating types who could be spotted on a street corner in a hoodie, smoking a cigarette..."

Given the homogeneity of the finalists, and the cornucopia of beauty in these pages, one wonders why anybody might bother next time around.

The finalists are winging their way to L.A. for a shoot with Hedi Slimane this weekend.

Comments

1. They all look sick. No thanks.

Posted by: Lee | May 20, 2008 10:54:45 AM

2. it's heroin-chic. nothing like pale fleshed, hipsterish, urban outfitter wearing, only white boy dating, ford models.

Posted by: Joseph | May 20, 2008 11:01:57 AM

3. Clearly they chose the boys who looked the most fun of the lot.

Posted by: Ernie | May 20, 2008 11:04:28 AM

4. It's a shame. They all look the same.

Posted by: Wes | May 20, 2008 11:06:35 AM

5. And the "white out" (or is it "black out"?) just keeps rolling on. Hopefully P. Diddy will have a model search and will be covered here as well.

Posted by: soulbrotha | May 20, 2008 11:13:03 AM

6. Drugged out and stupid looking. This is beauty?

Posted by: David | May 20, 2008 11:14:12 AM

7. Can't say I disagree with that contestant's observations. My first thought was "are these child models?" I really don't find them appealing.

Posted by: David | May 20, 2008 11:14:26 AM

8. Boyorexia? Somebody, buy these guys a Happy Meal!

Posted by: Jack | May 20, 2008 11:16:24 AM

9. Honestly, this little contest they created is nothing more than PR for their online magazine. Think of it this way: Get a few hundred handsome model wannabes to beg their friends (and their fake myspace friends) to vote them them. Viola! Instant traffic to their magazine in exchange for a few airline tickets to LA.

Real models don't waste their time on things like this. Trust me, I know as I work for a modeling agency here in South Florida. From an industry perspective, it's not surprising that all their selected models look alike. The magazine has a demographic and to have a winning cover model that doesn't fit that specific demographic would be a very bad business decision. (I'm not defending it; just explaining why I think it happened.)

Posted by: alex | May 20, 2008 11:20:23 AM

10. They all look like they need a ham sandwich. When did starvation become sexy?

Posted by: sam | May 20, 2008 11:24:26 AM

11. frankly, doesn't "shoot with Hedi Slimane" say it all ??

Posted by: A.J. | May 20, 2008 11:26:04 AM

12. I'm shocked that Ford would allow their name to be sollied about. When Eileen and Jerry ran the agency, this wouldn't have happened.

Posted by: Jack Scribe | May 20, 2008 11:27:08 AM

13. Ugh.

Tweakie twinkie starving tots
    For you we've not got the hots.
    Once they buff you up at Ford
    Teach you poses fierce and bored,
    Tweakie twinkie starving tots,
    Forever lose these dismal shots.

Posted by: NotShyChiRev | May 20, 2008 11:30:34 AM

14. What I find interesting is that no matter the type of topic here that has any sort of relation to these types is that everyone feels the need to jump on the nasty comment train. Im a 30 yr old man and have the same body, perhaps a bit less toned, as this lot? Am I starving? No. Am I sick? No. It is no wonder gay youth are having body issues with people like you all commenting on anyone who is skinny naturally and not defining his life by going to gym. Not everyone cares about the gym and being ripped. Personally, I find muscles gross. Also, these photos are snapshots? Do you all look radiant in all your snapshots that are not professionally lit? I feel sad for all of you who feel the need to define your worth by your body.

Posted by: Mike | May 20, 2008 11:35:41 AM

15. some of those sentence should end in "." not "?" woops

Posted by: mike | May 20, 2008 11:37:44 AM

16. Oy. All three of those boys need a sandwich.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 20, 2008 11:42:36 AM

17. Mike,
    I hear you. I was trying to be funny, to parody this whole mess, but I probably came off as simply critical of these boys.

Beauty is inherently subjective, and heaven knows, these young men (and you) are far trimmer and healthier than I. But I think the selection of these boys proves your point more than the spirited, if bitchy, comments here...While you may be this thin, it is not the norm. When we hold up this type of body as both the norm and the definition of beauty, isn't THAT contributing to body issues?

One final point...by entering this competition, haven't these boys agreed to be objectified? Not that that is a good thing, but can they seriously be heard to complain (assuming they would) when someone critiques their 'look' as so many have here? And is THAT what's really wrong here...another contest that invites young people to see themselves not as people but commodity? Perhaps that's overstating it, but there you are.

Posted by: NotShyChiRev | May 20, 2008 11:49:41 AM

18. I don't know that they need a ham sandwich, but they need a certain something that's obviously missing. They all look like they're posing for mug shots, although the middle one doe shave the sterotypical pouty, model look down better than the other two, while the guy on the right come closest to a sort of "barely legal" look, which seems to be what they were going for. Mostly, the exude something that's ordinary, but in a cloneish, seen it beore sort of way.

Posted by: Rich | May 20, 2008 11:50:54 AM

19. Even though Janice Dickinson is a mess, I give her props for having diversity in her modeling agency (unlike this one). Some of her models are hotter than these boys, but I'm partial to darker features anyhow.

Posted by: BlueBlur | May 20, 2008 11:54:57 AM

20. NOTSHYCHIREV

While I agree on the 2nd part of you comments, the 1st part still troubles me. I know a lot of people who are quite thin. I know several people who are not in any way. Neither for me is a source of critique. By saying thin is not the norm does that open it up to make someone at fault for not being "norm?" Granted they are like 12, but still. It does make me sad that anywhere a gay youth looks in our community there is such a dependance on muscle tone and thickness or arms. Look at the normal "Miami" model shots. HUGE muscle, super toned dudes. How is that not damaging to someone who could never achieve that?

Posted by: Mike | May 20, 2008 12:00:51 PM

21. These 3 guys are typical of the "fashionable" look that is promoted by our various media. Thin to the point of scrawny seems to be the look that is so favored by many of the publications, especially gay ones. I'm not surprised that this look was chosen. I'm tired of opening magazines (especially gay ones) and seeing a certain look that is only shared by a small part of the population. Why can't there be some diversity?

Posted by: Brad | May 20, 2008 12:02:01 PM

22. just curious if anyone has the vote totals for the 'winners' in the online voting. (apparently the VMan site just crashed - no doubt with the rush of towleroadies heading over to check out the other pics!)

Posted by: marc | May 20, 2008 12:06:53 PM

23. Mike, no one said anything about going to the gym. Indeed, I believe the operative phrase was "happy meal." Believe me when I say this, if those three are representative of what represents "beauty" in our community, they're doing the body images of GLBT people a whole lot more harm than good.

Posted by: Ryan | May 20, 2008 12:11:10 PM

24. Mike, sorry if I wasn't clear. My statement about norms wasn't an assessment of worth or of beauty, but simply of statistics. The "norm" in this country is not muscular OR thin, it's muffin-tops (or more) and saggy asses. The 'norm' for attractiveness is purely subjective, and I think that's a good thing, so long as we see one another as people first, and objects of attraction second.

Posted by: NotShyChiRev | May 20, 2008 12:43:24 PM

25. It looks like shirtless mug shots.

Posted by: kujhawker | May 20, 2008 12:43:53 PM