Australia | Berlin | Clay Aiken | David Beckham | Deaths | Discrimination | Kiss | News | Russia | Victoria Beckham | Wisconsin

BigGayDeal.com

News: Harvey Korman, Madison, Clay Aiken, ExxonMobil

road.jpg University of Wisconsin-Madison to become largest university with a gay leader: "Cornell University Provost Biddy Martin was recommended Wednesday to be the next chancellor at UW-Madison, a top national research university with 40,000 students. Martin, the No. 2 official at Cornell since 2000, is a professor of women's studies and German studies who wrote the 1995 book: 'Femininity Played Straight: The Significance of Being Lesbian.' About eight to 10 openly gay people have become college presidents and chancellors but mostly at small colleges, said Candace Gingrich of the Human Rights Campaign."

Kormanroad.jpg R.I.P. Harvey Korman.

road.jpg DADDY: Clay Aiken impregnates woman through artificial insemination.

road.jpg Gay activist from Madison, Wisconsin stabbed to death in Mexico: "[Felicia] Melton-Smyth was known for an annual holiday fundraiser that raised money for gifts for people with AIDS. 'She respected and loved all the people within the gay community of Madison,' Finhert said. Finhert said a celebration of her life is being planned and a foundation is being set up for donations to organizations in her honor."

road.jpg Netflix nabs exclusive rights to LOGO shows. What, no iTunes? Certainly a disappointment for those of us with Apple TV.

road.jpg Kiss nearly gets lesbian couple tossed out of Safeco Field in Seattle: "Sirbrina Guerrero says she only gave her date a peck, but a mother sitting with her son complained to security and, as a result, they were told to stop or leave. 'And he (the security guard) goes ‘there’s a lady whose son says he saw you guys making out, and I did, too. And you have to stop.’ And I said ‘well, we weren’t making out, but we were kissing and I’m not going to stop,’' said Guerrero…. '(The security guard said) the mom doesn’t want to explain to the kids why two girls are kissing. So I said ‘well, I’m not going to stop, so you’ll have to kick me out. So he said ‘so I suggest you leave then,'’ she said."

Chaceroad.jpg A slew of Gossip Girl guy candids.

road.jpg David Beckham gets a cap in a box.

road.jpg Rudd government in Australia introduces bill removing discrimination from superannuation laws: "Legislation introduced to Parliament today will extend to same-sex couples and their children the same rights under superannuation enjoyed by married or de-facto couples. 'This bill will take equality for same-sex couples and their children to the next level by introducing long overdue Commonwealth reforms, removing discrimination from superannuation laws as the first step,' Attorney-General Robert McClelland said. 'It will allow reversionary death benefit to be paid to de-facto same-sex partners and their children where they currently have no entitlement.'"

Poshroad.jpg Hot, tranny, or just mess?

road.jpg L.A. Times editorial: Gay marriage gaining ground. "And why not? Surely the trailing edges of society will soon reflect on the resistance to this phenomenon with chagrin and more than a little embarrassment. It is bracing, after all, to realize how recently much of this nation blanched at interracial marriage, and thrilling to recognize how quickly most of us buried that prejudice, first in law, then in custom."

road.jpg U.S. News and World Report explores anti-gay hostility in Russia.

road.jpg Holocaust academic pans gay memorial to Nazi victims: "For many years after the war I had the impression that the Germans understood the immense scope of the crime of the Holocaust which they had committed ... But this time, they made an error. The location was particularly poorly chosen for this monument. If visitors have the impression that there was not a great difference between the suffering of Jews and those of homosexuals, it's a scandal. "A sense of proportion must be maintained."

road.jpg ExxonMobil shareholders reject resolution to add 'sexual orientation' and 'gender identity' to Exxon’s non-discrimination statement: "Approximately 40% of Exxon’s outstanding shares voted in favor of the clause, but it was not enough to send the issue to the oil company’s board of directors. The shareholder resolution has come up every year since 2000, when it got 8.2% approval among shareholders. The percentage that voted in favor of the resolution has grown every year since then."

Comments

1. Yet another good reason not to buy gas at Exxon. Drive past them to the nearest BP or Shell station.

Posted by: Joel | May 30, 2008 1:27:58 PM

2. Earth to Israel Gutman: A major player of the More Shat Upon Game is neither an "academic" nor a "scholar." Your claim that "exclusively German" homosexuals were the only ones abused has only relative truth [the Nazis tended to, but did not always, ignore gays in occupied countries as they thought their presence would help weaken their enemies]. And your shameles lie that many gay victims of the Nazis were simply Nazis themselves who lost internal power struggle makes you a bedfellow with the worst kind of homophobic Holocaust denier.

You are a BIGOT, Sir. 10 plagues upon your house!

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | May 30, 2008 1:29:34 PM

3. God rest Harvey Korman. He made me laugh so hard back in the days with Carol. It sad to see his generation pass away. I bet Carol is so sad. I am too.

Yes! Boycott Exxon/Mobil for anti-gay prejudice, helping to destroy our planet and making huge, insane, profits while people starve.

Posted by: Pugzz | May 30, 2008 1:37:21 PM

4. Uh, HULLO! About the UW-Madison that headline should read "the largest university with an OUT leader." When I was going to law school there, Donna Shahala was the Chancellor.

Posted by: Denis | May 30, 2008 1:55:14 PM

5. Perhaps if Rabbi Israel Gutman had been a gay member of the Nazi party in the 30's he would feel differently of perhaps he wouldn't be here to b*!ch about it at all.

Every single life is valuable. One death is as important as 2
    million!!!!

Thank you for all the laughs Harvey, you will be missed.

Posted by: farfromhome | May 30, 2008 1:57:10 PM

6. "A sense of proportion must be maintained."

Well, take a look at this picture of the Berlin Holocaust memorial (honoring primarily Jewish victims):

Or how about this aerial shot:

It looks like Mr. Gutman has a gigantic memorial to his preferred Jewish victims, and a small monument about the size of an economy Winnibago dedicated to the homosexual victims. Seems pretty proportionate to me.

We all know what he's really saying though....

Posted by: Yeek | May 30, 2008 2:03:36 PM

7. Someone please take away Israel Gutman's victim card...he has clearly crossed the line and taken up where the Nazis left off in persecuting homosexuals. Shame!

Posted by: peterparker | May 30, 2008 2:04:58 PM

8. All the information i have come across about the treatment of homosexuals by the nazis was that it was on par if not worse than the treatment of jews...yah we know that there were more jews than homosexuals persecuted, but i think this man wants to sweep that part under the rug... he sounds like a homophobe, and i think that any aknowledgement of past crimes in a progressive way is a good thing, how he cant see that is beyond me. its offensive. PLUS everyone knows about the fact that the jews were persecuted, not many people know about all the homosexuals that lost their lives, because they dont have family that passes down this information the same way a heterosexual family passes stuff down to children.

Posted by: Trevor | May 30, 2008 2:07:27 PM

9. So Andy, when are you going to tell us that you were going to the Democratic National convention. Too bad we had to find out from another blog bad mouthing this site:

Towleroad is not known for racial diversity, trans inclusion, or its lesbian audience. It is a site for wealthy gay white men - the HRC demographic.

When was the last time you saw serious in-depth political coverage on Towleroad or committed coverage of an issue from multiple angles or guest posts from members of Congress and Presidential candidates?

Towleroad has a niche - upperclass white gay men; it’s not that diverse. Maybe there are too many letters for the DNC to spell LGBT. When we first launched, Alex would often use the line, “Not everything queer is marriage, martinis and Madonna.” Maybe we should have stuck with the big 3 Ms after all.

Posted by: Matt | May 30, 2008 2:10:02 PM

10. "Hot, tranny, or just mess?"

Andy, why do you continue to promote the defamatory term "tranny" in your posts? It's disgusting and insulting. Perhaps Bilerico has a point re: Towleroad's diversity http://www.bilerico.com/2008/05/dnc_thinks_lgbt_has_too_many_letters.php

I love reading Towleroad regularly which is all the more reason I want to throw up when I read this offensive slur against our transgender brothers and sisters, on your terrific site. It's beneath you and akin to having some juvenile "fag joke" thrown in the middle of a movie you were enjoying up until that point. I'm disappointed and would hope that you'll rethink using hateful terms in the guise of humor in the future.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | May 30, 2008 2:12:37 PM

11. Oh...and by the way...I recently spent an afternoon at the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. While the museum seems a thorough accounting of the atrocities committed by the Nazis against Jews, Gypsies and the developmentally disabled, I did come away with the feeling that the persecution of homosexuals had been glossed over. In the entire massive museum, I saw two mentions of homosexuals and one picture of a someone who was identified as homosexual accompanied by a pink triangle. I hate to get into the game of complaining that we aren't well represented enough in a museum that documents hate and suffering but you know they did use us for target practice.

Posted by: peterparker | May 30, 2008 2:18:22 PM

12. It's like Clay Aiken saw the pregnant man on Oprah and said, "Oh yeh? Watch this, bitches!"

Posted by: crispy | May 30, 2008 2:20:47 PM

13. That photo from the best legs competition! I totally remember that from when I was a kid, Lyle Waggoner won! Harvey Korman was a great comedian he did drag with at the drop of a hat and I never remember him being homophobic about it like say Milton Berle.

That Marc Jacobs dress makes Victoria Beckham look like a toilet paper fairy/cozy.

Posted by: ggreen | May 30, 2008 2:22:15 PM

14. Crap - I was wondering when the bitter Bilerico people would arrive.

Posted by: ger | May 30, 2008 2:22:26 PM

15. Rest In Peace Harvey. You brought me many much needed laughs over the years. I hope you'll team up with Tim Conway on the other side. If heaven is full of fundies then lord knows they need someone there with a sense of humor.

How ironic that Israel Gutman repeats the completely unfounded Nazi styled propanda pushed in the rabidly homophobic book "The Pink Swastika".

PETERPARKER, I came away from the Holocaust Museum in DC with the very same feeling. Gay persecution and extermination still seems to be a topic that people don't want to acknowledge or talk about.

Posted by: Zeke | May 30, 2008 2:29:05 PM

16. MATT, I'm sure DERRICK IN PHILLY and THE QUEEN and others will be suprprised to hear that Towleroad isn't diverse and is an exclusive playground for upper class gay white men

Posted by: Zeke | May 30, 2008 2:35:31 PM

17. Ha. I'm sure they will. It's so funny. If you read this whole blurb that he wrote he said he is one of Andy's biggest fans and serfs this page constantly. I didn't know there was such blog hostility between a blog of all things. I personally don't care. I don't really get involved in the political process so it's all moot to me.

Posted by: Matt | May 30, 2008 2:47:14 PM

18. A site with the tagline "More than gay news for more gay men" isn't known for its lesbian audience? Why, I'm gobsmacked!

Should we also be concerned about the lack of straight readership?

Posted by: DCN | May 30, 2008 3:00:41 PM

19. I don't understand. There are many topics discussed here...why else would I...

JOHN IN MANHATTAN, you have a point about the term "Tranny". I too thought it was insulting, but I've never heard a transsexual, or transwoman, or transgendered person come on the blog and object to it; and so, I never said anything.

Who is Belerico? Is he found of black transpeople? Bless him.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 30, 2008 3:04:55 PM

20. Hey Matt, let me know when I'm due some of this wealth, my bank account has been under some strain lately. Thanks.

John (not rich or "upperclass", not even American for that matter.)

Posted by: John C | May 30, 2008 3:07:44 PM

21. i think that comparing the homosexual monument to a jewish one is a little irrelevant. you're creating a memorial to remember those lost. not to remember who had it worse.

Posted by: ian | May 30, 2008 3:29:56 PM

22. In defense of the Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC, I'm convinced the problem is NEITHER a homophobic nor homo-indifferent attitude. I know that politically aware/active gays were very involved in convincing its founders to include us.

And if you go to their online site, you can find entire sections devoted to the victimization of gays and there has been a traveling exhibit sponsored by the Museum devoted exclusively to gays. The first link below is to the results of a search for the word "gay" on that site, resulting in multiple hits:

The link below is specifically to info about the traveling exhibit. And here is where it can be seen this year:

Until June 9, 2008 at
    Omaha, NE
    Temple Israel

June 20, 2008 through July 30, 2008
    Bay Shore, NY
    Long Island GLBT Community Center

August 18, 2008 through September 30, 2008
    Burlington, VT
    The University of Vermont Living/Learning Gallery with Outright Vermont

October 10, 2008 through December 10, 2008
    Madison, WI
    University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries with GSA for Safe Schools

It's fair to say that the proportion of things one sees in the museum itself is the result of two facts:

1. One can still find exaggerations to the contrary, but the latest evidence indicates that less than 200,000 gay men were directly, legally affected by the Nazis of which perhaps 15,000 ended up in the camps [versus regular jails/prisons or being released]. Again, estimates vary, but the figure one most often sees is that as many as 60% of that 15,000 died.

By contrast, in addition to the millions of Jews murdered, the estimates of Roma or Gypsies killed start at 90,000 and go up and up. Estimates of the mentally ill/diabled killed start at 20,000 and rise to the hundreds of thousand. Murders of non-Jewish Poles were in the millions.

2. The amount of material demonstrated is also disproportionate because of how little exists. In the "smokestack" installation at the Museum, one can see countless photos rising to the sky of entire families, entire villages of Jews who were exterminated. Despite the legend of every night in pre-Reich Berlin being a cabaret, old chum, gay lives were not only "singular" but also, just as sadly still true today in many places even in the US, closeted beyond the sound of Sally Bowles voice.

Would I like to see a brighter light shined upon even what little evidence exists? Absolutely. But as much as I'm often criticized for yelling that we're not doing enough to demand respect and rights I don't believe in hollering before one is hurt either.

PS: GREAT response to the petty, self-deluding jealousy pouting at BILE-rico, Peter, where the inmates have long been running the asylum. ;- )

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | May 30, 2008 3:32:08 PM

23. A transgendered person doesn't need to post on Towleroad that "tranny" is offensive for it to be so. It's common sense that this is a derogatory term. Even the dolts over at GLAAD realize this:

I discovered the Bilerico site for the first time today although GERm took a crap in his manties speculating "when the bitter Bilerico people would arrive". Whatever that means.

Again, I love reading Towleroad. It's addictive. But enough already with putting down transgendered folk with "tranny". Shirley there's a witty phrase in describing Marc Jacobs' dress on Victoria Beckham than resorting to slurs against the GLBT community.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | May 30, 2008 3:37:16 PM

24. Not sure if they still do this but...When the Holocaust Museum first opened each visitor was given an identity card replica upon entering the museum. It was an identity card from a real person who was put in a concentration camp during The Holocaust. At the end of your visit you found out what happened to the person whose identity you had assumed. Ironically, I had been given the id card of a Pink Triangle homosexual who had escaped from the concentration camp and was still living at that time in Europe. It was a very moving experience.

Posted by: dezboy | May 30, 2008 3:50:04 PM

25. Well...last Friday, here on Towleroad, I was told that I was insensitive to heavy people and oh, so very shallow. This Friday, I'm told that I don't have enough "common sense" to know that "tranny" is an offensive slur towards transwomen.

I'm gonna' stop coming here on Fridays.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 30, 2008 4:32:32 PM