News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Urban Outfitters Billionaire a Wingnut in Progressive Clothing

Hayne_2

The loaded owner of Urban Outfitters, Richard Hayne, doesn't want you to know who he is:

"Shopping in Urban makes you feel like you are somewhere radically Left-wing, an antidote to the corporate blandness of The Gap. But Hayne is a stanch conservative who donates money to Republican politicians, not least Rick Santorum, a now failed Senator whose views on homosexuality are both bizarre and old-fashioned. Hayne doesn't give many interviews precisely because he's afraid that college slackers who get to know him will suddenly realise that buying his clothes is like giving cash to George Bush. Once described as projecting a 'Dick Cheney-esque aura of no-nonsense grayflannel gravitas', Hayne must be the only retailer whose expansion plans depend on no one finding out who he really is. Despite the strife in the sector, Urban just beat Wall Street profit expectations yet again. So far, the illusion is holding up perfectly."

One can only hide for so long.

(thanks robbie)

Comments

1. Rockstar Energy Drink for anyone who drinks that stuff has an analogous issue. I'd investigate before giving them money.

Posted by: JJ | May 21, 2008 1:07:24 PM

2. @ Chad

Baaaaaaaaarf.........

Get over yourself hun you aren't as fabulous as you think you are.

Posted by: Derek | May 21, 2008 1:24:55 PM

3. People are entitled to shop wherever the hell they want to, but...

If you refuse to shop at any store whose chief supports the GOP, well, you're not gonna be left with many places to shop. The richey-riches? I hear most of 'em send their money to those nasty republicans.

I'm serious. I read it in a magazine or something.

Posted by: Daniel | May 21, 2008 1:34:22 PM

4. I agree with Derek. I could afford to buy very nice clothing, but there are so many more important things in life.

Plus, my family has given up on trying to understand me when giving gifts, so I usually have a wallet full of gift certificates to Banana Republic. Suits me fine.

Posted by: Paul R | May 21, 2008 1:36:03 PM

5. I can say, as a former employee, UO does try too hard. There was a time about 10 years ago when it didn't have to try so hard, and I always did feel I was in a gay posistive environment. But then, I knew NOTHING about RH.

One day, a District Manager admitted to me that the majority of the clothes were known to come from offshore sweatshops.

She had a very "Yeah, i know, it sucks, but what are you going to do?"

So I quit. And glad of it. It didn't take long to learn about the donkey leading the rest of the asses.

Posted by: Shirley Heezgay! | May 21, 2008 1:53:04 PM

6. I can say, as a former employee, UO does try too hard. There was a time about 10 years ago when it didn't have to try so hard, and I always did feel I was in a gay posistive environment. But then, I knew NOTHING about RH.

She had a very "Yeah, i know, it sucks, but what are you going to do?"

Posted by: Shirley Heezgay! | May 21, 2008 1:53:51 PM

7. it does suck that he gives money to idiots, but you all should know that he offers domestic partner benefits to his homo employee. i'm one of them.

Posted by: gaysians | May 21, 2008 2:11:09 PM

8. Boycott UO, Anthropology and Rockstar Enery drinks

Posted by: Ty Jones | May 21, 2008 2:43:29 PM

9. I may have to start shopping there now.

Posted by: Scott | May 21, 2008 3:07:44 PM

10. Me too! Urban Outfitters is awesome! Who cares if they don't support our lifestyle? What else can we do? It's not like we have a choice!

Posted by: Gay Uncle Tom | May 21, 2008 3:14:05 PM

11. Urban Outfitters is just one of thousands of corporations that fund the Republican propaganda machine. How many of us are typing on a DELL computer?

The list is seemingly endless.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | May 21, 2008 3:45:29 PM

12. it really isn't that hard to find the companies that do not support right-wing causes. apparently a couple or three on this thread don't care to learn or can't worry their vain little heads about it. and to you sad little creatures i will let olbermann speak for me, "shut the hell up!"

Posted by: nic | May 21, 2008 4:42:54 PM

13. I've known about this guy for years and have been amazed that his story hasn't gotten wider press. Here in Providence, RI our local Urban is thronged with Brown University and Rhode Island School of Design hipsters, most of whom lean left in this bluest of blue states. I can only imagine they don't know anything of the founder of this company.

Posted by: Mike | May 21, 2008 5:16:56 PM

14. Seriously who cares, It takes way too much energy to try and boycott all of the "bad" places. I'm still going to shop there. And most of their clothes are from other companies anyway. They're just selling other peoples stuff.

Posted by: Terrance | May 21, 2008 5:51:36 PM

15. Well I'll be dammed. I'm not setting foot at any Urban Outfitters store anymore. Wait...I haven't in 3 years.

Posted by: donsnyc | May 21, 2008 6:33:49 PM

16. I'm sorry kittens but this is old old news. I haven't shopped there for at 7 years due to this point exactly.

He used to sell bongs out of a VW van in San Francisco that is how he got his start and now look.

Not only that but Urban Outshitters has been the target of more designer lawsuits than almost any other retailer for their continued knocking off of young designers designs.

Gross. Vote with your dollar.

Posted by: Br!on | May 21, 2008 7:54:26 PM

17. Check out www.fredflare.com it's way more cute and fun than Urban Outfitters and the owners are big ole gays... Check their blog, it's HI-lar!

Posted by: Gossip Gay | May 21, 2008 7:57:25 PM

18. RE: Macy's

The Boston incident mentioned by Peterparker is one reason of several why I would rather cut my own arm off than shop at Macy's, and no, I don't give a pass on public actions taken by a company regardless of who made the decision or other positives, that was inexcusable to me. But that is my feeling on that.

The other reasons:
    -WalMart quality merchandise at near-Nordstrom prices.
    -Extremely poor customer service, in fact, all they have anymore is cashiers, there is no service.
    -The unnecessary elimination of the vastly superior Marshall Fields in Chicago. And the whitewashing of the history of that store that Macy's has done since.

Posted by: PDX Guy | May 21, 2008 11:27:17 PM

19. I know some of you may have issues with the Human Rights Campaign ["HRC"], but they publish a report [annually I think] of companies that support the LGBT community [i.e. domestic partner benefits, contributions to LGBT causes, advertising policies, etc] and those that do not. The report lists companies by industry so you can see, if for example you need electronics, that Best Buy is a better choice than Radio Shack. I don't think HRC looks at major shareholders of these companies and what they do with their money, but it's a good place to start. I use the report all the time.

Remember boys, knowledge = power. Vote with your wallets.

Posted by: Ted | May 22, 2008 12:14:57 AM

20. So, are his issues with gays, who are normaly supported by higher taxing democrats, or republicans who affect his bottom line with fewer taxes. I don't think he has anything but his bottom line in interest. Its a razors edge to walk, I know!

Posted by: bruce | May 22, 2008 4:17:22 AM

21. Urban carries Fred Perry and Levis and they have my fave overall sneaker selection in the area I live. But the simple solution 4 me would be to stop shopping there and order these things online. But then I best investigate the political leanings of the owners of these retailers and may end up having to look further and so on and so forth. I mean, does anyone know anything about Fred Perry? Fuck it, there are worse places to shop. Wal-mart, for instance.

Posted by: dwayner | May 22, 2008 7:22:20 AM

22. Funny how the queens on here who directly benefit from UO (i.e. working there) are the ones who support this douche. I'm glad 100 of you are taken care of, now what about the whole community?

PDX, you need to shop at the Herald Square store. If you have issues with their customer service you need to let them know (something most people won't do - but they sure as hell will get on a message board and bitch about it).

Posted by: Shane | May 22, 2008 7:47:01 AM

23. Well, Herald Square is not exactly in my neighborhood. And I have submitted feedback to Macy's, and other places, when I have received bad service and almost always get a canned response. I have also submitted compliments (not to Macy's, something almost no one does ever, too. I literally have a Macy's across the street from me, but drive right by it to go to better stores. The Macy's in downtown Portland has been remodeled and it is awful. Feels cold and sterile, is abandoned most times, and still think the merchandise is overpriced. So I have tried, but they offer no reason to shop there, and several reasons to not shop there.

Posted by: PDX Guy | May 22, 2008 11:02:13 AM

24. why is it shocking that corporate clones are GOP maniacs? even the ones who peddle "leftwing" type doodads and clothing.
    shop local. that's the best way to know for sure where your money is going.
    wonkobox.unpunk.com

Posted by: wonkobos | May 24, 2008 1:40:18 PM

25. I just feel the need to say that gay republicans are the biggest laughing stock in this entire fucking world. Republicans are bad to begin with, but wow - if you're gay and republican, you are trying too hard to deny yourself and fit into whatever fucked up southern bible belt society you identify with.

Get over it; we're different, not bad people, just different. If you can't understand that, then just go ahead and cement your feet, and get someone to push you into the deep blue.

That is all.

I'm ranting because I'm ill at my statistics final tomorrow. Fuck.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 10, 2008 9:09:00 PM