Caribbean | Cayman Islands | Gay Marriage | News | Puerto Rico

BigGayDeal.com

As Puerto Rico Votes Down Gay Marriage Ban, Caymans Proposes One

Late last week, Puerto Rico voted down a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, the Advocate reports:

Puertorico"Rep. Victor García San Inocencio says Resolution 99 failed on Thursday to make it to the house floor for voting, effectively killing the proposal for this legislative term. The measure would have amended the U.S. territory's constitution to establish that marriage is between a man and woman and that no other types of unions could be recognized. Thus, it would have made it harder to allow civil unions or grant marital rights to unmarried couples."

Meanwhile, a Cayman Islands lawmaker has proposed a sinister measure:

Cayman"Leader of the Opposition McKeeva Bush has filed a Private Members Motion proposing an amendment to the Marriage Law that would define marriage in the Cayman Islands as being between a man and woman. The motion also proposes the Marriage Law only recognise a person’s gender at birth and that no other form of civil union be allowed in the Cayman Islands to recognise same–sex partnerships. The motion was filed with the Legislative Assembly Monday and Mr. Bush wants House Standing Orders suspended to allow the motion to be dealt with during the current meeting of the House."

Given recent events, it's a surprise a ban on same-sex kissing wasn't proposed as well.

Comments

1. EVERY LGBT person that goes to Islands like this one, have to make a decision, spend their moeny in island that want you death, arrested or just treated as a monster...MAKE A CHOICE, boycott such places...sorry to say but money talks, and when this savages see their economy goign down the drain, we'll see changes....MAKE A CHOICE~

Posted by: bosie | Jun 17, 2008 12:08:07 PM

2. Just curious, Bosie, how do you get stains out of white sheets?

Posted by: crispy | Jun 17, 2008 12:23:48 PM

3. RE The Cayman Islands: It WOULD be a Bush, wouldn't it?

Congrats to Puerto Rican homos/bi-sexers and their families and major kudos to those who voted to kill the bill.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 17, 2008 12:28:07 PM

4. Now Ricky can get married!

Interesting, and I was just beginning to look at possible vacation spots for my partner and I. Why does every white-sand resort have to be in such a backwardly mental part of the world?

Posted by: Rad | Jun 17, 2008 12:37:09 PM

5. well the Cayman Islands will be OFF my list of Vacation destinations...eat sand you bastards. My tourism dollars will go elsewhere!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 17, 2008 12:55:35 PM

6. I gave up on long-term commitment a long time ago, but I wouldn't mind getting married in Puerto Rico--if I could only find a sexy Puerto Rican to marry me. After I hit the Powerball I'll go down there in get me one...actually, I'd prefer a Dominican. Well, I'll be able to afford either one. Although, it'll be difficult to get a Dominican in this country now, but money can buy anything--even a student Visa--yes, I want a YOUNG Papi, honey.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 17, 2008 12:57:38 PM

7. interesting to see that the caymans have their own bush to deal with.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 17, 2008 1:00:14 PM

8. For those of you looking for that perfect "white sand resort", Puerto Rico is ideal.

Was just there with my husband (Toronto wedding in '04 since marriage is such a hot topic) last month and couldn't have had a better time.

We too take into serious consideration where we spend our money and where we will feel the most safe. That's why we picked Puerto Rico.

I'd tell you all where we stayed, but then that would be an unpaid endorsement... ;-)

Posted by: mike_in_lancaster | Jun 17, 2008 1:09:25 PM

9. "Savages" and "backwardly mental," phrases almost never posted when the anti-gay bigotry exposed is in a predominantly white nation or when the anti-gay offenders are white. I swear to God, I don't even know why I even bother coming on this site sometimes.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Jun 17, 2008 1:29:50 PM

10. The issue that seems to hit us smack in the face is; not only are we a Gay couple, we are an interracial Gay couple. White boys with white boys are one thing, but then you take an African American into a borderline racist hostile environment (Florida, anyone?) and that take a whole 'nother block of locales out of the equation.

I would love for my partner of 10 years and I to go someplace tropical, but if he's going to be looked at as a 2nd class citizen...? We just don't have the extra bucks or vacation time to dick around with "trying to find comfort among the hatred" with folks who have a racial hair over their asses (and we've had more than enough of our share of bigoted fags over the years!).

Rad

Posted by: Rad | Jun 17, 2008 1:29:57 PM

11. SUGARRHILL

"Race matters" is not just a book by Cornel West. Race affects and informs every thread of American/Western culture, including the gay ones.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 17, 2008 2:49:16 PM

12. Chas,

When gay bigots pop up on this site it's not a complete shock but more disappointment.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Jun 17, 2008 3:04:35 PM

13. That's understandable. Not everyone can be a winner.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 17, 2008 3:15:58 PM

14. For those of us that have family that live in the Cayman Islands, it is sad to see such bigotry. I have to wonder how they will reconcile this proposal with the UK laws (since the Cayman Islands are still a UK territory).....

Unlike other posters, I will continue to visit the Islands -- in hopes that my presence will work from the inside to undermine prejudice. In my experience, it is much more difficult for people to hate lesbians and gays if they know one.

Posted by: David | Jun 18, 2008 12:26:15 PM