Massachusetts | News | Provincetown

BigGayDeal.com

Cape Cod National Seashore Targets Sex in the Dunes

Cape_tip

The Cape Cod National Seashore is teaming up with local officials this summer for a "public education" approach to a soaring number of citations for debauchery in Cape Cod's dunes:

"An example of the complaints was a call reporting Wednesday that a 65- to 70-year-old man was flashing people at Herring Cove Beach, according to Seashore records. In a Sept. 19, 2007, letter, a New Jersey family walking with children in the dunes encountered 'several couples and then a large group of men having group sex in the nude, including oral and anal sex right out in the open.' In an August 2007 letter, a whale-watch boat captain leaving Provincetown Harbor with passengers reported seeing 20 to 30 nude men 'playing around' near Wood End Lighthouse. Other complaints describe Seashore visitors encountering public sex acts at Head of the Meadow Beach in North Truro and near a Seashore building off North Pamet Road in Truro."

Said new Provincetown police chief Jeff Jaran: "It's not acceptable, decent, moral behavior. There is a time to be discreet, and there are places to go and do those types of things."

Comments

1. "It's not acceptable, decent, moral behavior. There is a time to be discreet, and there are places to go and do those types of things."

...yah, but it's so much hotter in sand dune.

Posted by: Ian | Jun 13, 2008 11:25:20 AM

2. No, it’s gross. I hope they’re all arrested. Is this kind of behavior the result of severe sexual repression? It’s sad to me that to so many people (both gay and straight) gay culture is synonymous with group and pathological anonymous sex.

Posted by: Gio | Jun 13, 2008 11:40:46 AM

3. i think certain sections of beaches should be cordoned off to prevent families and children interfering with people's right of the pursuit of happiness as guaranteed by the bill of rights or is it the constitution, i can never remember which...

Posted by: the queen | Jun 13, 2008 11:41:11 AM

4. THE QUEEN, dear, would you go on a date at the beach with GIO?

And doesn't the seagulls' shitting get in the way? And all those damn used condoms and soiled tissues in the sand. No, outdoor sex is not for beaches--only public parks.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2008 11:47:44 AM

5. Never speak ill of anonymous group outdoor sex. Only people who can't have it do that.

Posted by: Roscoe | Jun 13, 2008 11:49:59 AM

6. Sex in nature is grand, but find a private place to do it. I don't think it's appropriate and I have no problem with the P-town cops cracking down on it.

Posted by: David | Jun 13, 2008 11:52:28 AM

7. Sand everywhere! Eww

Posted by: secretagentman | Jun 13, 2008 11:59:39 AM

8. THE QUEEN, it's neither, it's the Declaration of Independence.

It's funny, this is the second time today on Towleroad that I've made this clarification.

Just one more point of clarification, The Bill of Rights is part of the Constitution (the first ten amendments to it).

; )

It's good to hear a police chief responding to this problem in a reasonable and thoughtful way rather than going on a rant about homosexuality and perversion. I guess such a rant wouldn't go over so well in P-town.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 13, 2008 12:00:34 PM

9. This is what happens when the straights move into traditionally gay areas. Shouldn't they expect it? If you don't like it then don't look at it. I spend a lot of time on this beach and choose not to pay attention. If the parents don't want their kids to see it, then bring them to Truro. As for the whale boat, beached whales can be a part of the view as well!

Posted by: RS | Jun 13, 2008 12:00:53 PM

10. I think I will try to find the beach on the google earth to see if I can catch something. Or someone. Lol. A moment for the eternity. lol.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jun 13, 2008 12:19:43 PM

11. There is a time and a place for everything; open-air orgies on the beach in full view of major shipping lanes and public walk ways is NOT the place.

What really pisses me off the most is; I like to sunbathe nude. Just because I am laying out in the all-natural does not mean I am ready to fuck. P-Town has always been this tolerence of nudity in the outer reaches of the beach, but never the lewdness. These idiots who feel the need to both be naked and openly fucking in public just ruined it for the rest of the naturalists looking for a quite corner to get rid of our tan lines.

Idiots.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 13, 2008 12:22:50 PM

12. Oh, Roscoe, you are so wrong. The only people having anonymous sex in parks and beaches are too ugly to hookup in bars.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 13, 2008 12:27:03 PM

13. Actually, CRISPY, it’s people too ugly to hookup in bars and George Michael.

Posted by: Gio | Jun 13, 2008 12:34:21 PM

14. ...and closet cases with the wife and kids at home.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 13, 2008 12:45:11 PM

15. People have been having sex on the beach for decades! Now that the straights want to get in on the PTown lifestyle it's not accepted. I've seen plenty of straight sex happening on the beaches also. Soon they'll want to crack down on the the drag queens and the half naked men parading on Commercial St. Yum. Let them go to MV and Nantucket and push their carriages around. This hasn't been a family friendly town in almost century. Stop poo pooing evryone's fun.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 13, 2008 12:47:03 PM

16. Anonymous group sex is FANTASTIC but shouldn't be done in public, implies police chief Jeff Jaran and I second that!

Posted by: Shabaka | Jun 13, 2008 12:49:04 PM

17. ....and beautiful yella "queens" who don't feel like dealing with emotionally needy gay men who keep falling in love too easily. ...Still don't want no sand mixed with the lube...SECRETAGENTMAN is right. Sex on the beach, and then to the hospital.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2008 12:53:39 PM

18. EVERYONE, including straight families, should have the right to enjoy nature in a public park. And I agree with RAD, just because I like to sunbathe nude does not mean that I am up for sex with some nasty, disgusting old troll who is creeping around me waiting to get lucky. I used to live near Cape Canaveral and the behavior of the a lot of the people there, including straights, but especially the gay men, was disgusting. Why does one have to wear a cock ring to the beach? Could never figure that out. And we wonder why gay men have such bad reputations.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jun 13, 2008 12:59:26 PM

19. Please everyone, even my straight friends no where gays are going to have sex on the beach, it's no secret. Maybe they should posts signs cautioning the ones that don't know. I have a friend who sunbathes nude every weekend in PTown on the beach. If he doesn't want the trolls near he just tells um to get lost. Tourists that are running into the orgies have to go out of their way to find them.

Posted by: zeke | Jun 13, 2008 1:25:01 PM

20. I have never figured this need that some men have for sex in toilets or on a beach, and, in sight of the public like some sort of animal. I don't want to see two men, two women or a man and a woman getting their groove on in a public place, get a room, or get the police to bust them.

My buddy in West Hollywood would find creeps having sex on his lawn after the bars closed, condoms on the street, etc, until the police cracked down, as they should.

Posted by: Sebastian | Jun 13, 2008 1:27:34 PM

21. it is absurd to read people who comment that the straights are ruining the fun - and that outdoor sex in public spots should be tolerated.

We try to have inclusion in the protections of the law, but that goes both ways. We can't fight for our rights while saying we shouldn't have to abide by other laws of decency. THis isn't pick-and-choose.

Posted by: Dan B | Jun 13, 2008 1:29:01 PM

22. "In an August 2007 letter, a whale-watch boat captain leaving Provincetown Harbor with passengers reported seeing 20 to 30 nude men 'playing around' near Wood End Lighthouse. "

ZEKE please tells us how you feel about this. I know that you feel the straights are invading your town, but one family friendly thing you can do in P-Town was sullied because of an ORGY and they weren't looking for it.

Posted by: LOL | Jun 13, 2008 1:36:02 PM

23. Thank You Dan B! I couldn't agree more.

Public Sex in general (gay or straight) is not tolerated. In some states you can be charged with as a sex offender for participation. Who wants that?

P-Town's new chief is really well spoken about this whole issue.

And let me clarify, nude sunbathing is "a horse of a different color" when talking about raunchy sex on a beach during the day. Nothing is more embarrassing than walking around a corner and seeing people fucking (as per my last trip across the Breakwater in p-town)

Posted by: Nick | Jun 13, 2008 1:45:59 PM

24. ZEKE - It's called class. It wouldn't matter if they're orgy was on the moon. If they're doing it in public, it's indecent and trashy. Get a life.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jun 13, 2008 1:46:07 PM