California | Gay Marriage | Jay Leno | Los Angeles | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jay Leno to Show His Support for Same-Sex Marriage in Weho?

LenoJay Leno, who in April found himself the focus of criticism after an episode of The Tonight Show in which he asked actor Ryan Philippe to look at the camera and give it his "gayest look", is set to appear in support of California's same-sex marriage decision at tonight's symbolic mass commitment ceremony in West Hollywood, according to E!'s Marc Malkin:

"The Tonight Show host decided to make an appearance in support of the recent legalization of gay marriage by California’s Supreme Court. 'He said that he is from Massachusetts and that the sky did not fall in their state when marriage equality became the law of the land there,' a rep for the event said. 'He wants to impress upon everyone here in California that the sky will not fall here either.'"

Previously
Jay Leno Asks Ryan Phillippe to Give Camera His 'Gayest Look' [tr]
Jay Leno Apologizes for Requesting Ryan Phillippe's Gayest Look [tr]
Jay Leno on 'Gayest Look' Controversy: That's What Comics Do [tr]

Comments

1. i was thinking of the gayest face scenario. he prob wants to redeem himself.

Posted by: queerunity | Jun 4, 2008 8:22:37 AM

2. Too little too late Jay. For years you and your juvenile writers on The Tonight Show have had what seems to be on average at least four gay jokes a week (lame and juvenile to say the least). Now, when somebody has finally called you to task on it, and you're getting bad press, you jump on the band wagon? Come on. At least man up and admit that your an as*. Do you think that it's fun to watch you make fun of Richard Simmons when he comes on your show? At least when Richard is on Letterman you can tell that Letterman likes Richard. I, for one, can't wait until you get your sorry shit off of latenight. Go away. O'Brien is ready to take over. You've been lousy from the beginning (ratings not withstanding, straight men will watch anything). If you really want to help the gay community, put your money where your mouth is. Donate a lot to HRC or some other organization. Do more than a token "show up." Tape some PSAs for GLAAD. Help gay youth. Stop making stupid jokes. Help change the culture. You are part of the problem.

Posted by: Mercutio | Jun 4, 2008 8:27:49 AM

3. I think that's great because Leno's audience are a little older & more conservative than Letterman's, which is one of the reasons NBC is letting him go. I don't think he meant any malice by that "gay face" joke. It was just a joke that bombed big time & I accept his apology.

Posted by: scar2 | Jun 4, 2008 9:19:45 AM

4. This is a good thing, even though I think Mercutio is right. If this is the beginning of a change for Leno, then fine. But if it's a one-time bone thrown our way, then he deserves little credit.

Posted by: David T | Jun 4, 2008 9:23:00 AM

5. He's a great guy and he means well. This is a very historic time and we need all we can get, Where is Madonna in all this? 9 out of 10 queens support her music like crazy....when was the last time she supported us?

Posted by: Peter | Jun 4, 2008 9:43:26 AM

6. That is great.

I think we all overreacted to the "gayest look" comment. It is comedy, and we need to learn to laugh at ourselves as well.

I didn't mention it then, but found it truly ironic that Jeff Witty, who made his name and money from Ave. Q - which features a song containing the lyrics, "If everyone stopped being so PC, maybe we could live in harmony." To me, Witty always seemed to be the hypocrite.

Posted by: Dan B | Jun 4, 2008 10:10:14 AM

7. I don't think he owed anyone an apology for his "gayest look" joke. It was a joke. I didn't think it was very funny, but since when are "gay" themed jokes totally off- limits. When did we become such eggshells?

Posted by: BPR | Jun 4, 2008 10:15:07 AM

8. I agree this is a historic moment, and we need to keep all the support we can; however, I still think that Leno is a douche that rarely thinks before he opens his big, fat, bloated mouth. Undoubtedly he's floundering for his next career move and has been since he won the formerly high coveted crown of the tonight show. But he's killing any sympathy I'd have for him when he uses gay people as the punchline for his lame jokes and gaffs, and his insincere perfunctory reactions to public objections. Before I change my mind on this loser I'd want to see him actually take his very own initiative to pledge, perform, create a long term apology for his stupid acts. I'm sick of seeing celebrities and public figures perform reticence by command of their public relations department.

I'm also pretty pissed-off about his treasonous acts during the writer's strike, but let's not get started on that.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 4, 2008 10:17:01 AM

9. Place your bets on What Time Reichen Will Take His Shirt Off and Which "True Love of the Moment" He Will Symbolically Commit To. In the meantime: buy a fucking vowel, BPR et al., or a BRAIN! Any queen who doesn't get that constantly being made a joke of by NONgay people trivializes us and, therefore, contributes to our depersonalization is RETARDED! "Give us your best Black look. Give us your best Jew look. Wanna hear my best Fudgepack Mountain joke?" So pack up your little fake Louis Vuitton manpurse, pull your low rise jeans and your Calvin Klein panties up over your stinking crack, slick on some more Ed Grimley Hair Gel, and mince off to your favorite troll hole for another Cosmopolitan and let the ADULTS discuss.

Now, I luv Judy Shepard [her foundation is sponsoring this] but after the Supreme Court decision legalizing ACTUAL marriage which should tick off in a couple of weeks why the hell are they wasting their time on a SYMBOLIC mass commitment ceremony? That's a mass-ive waste of time and money and, well, is just silly.

But, yes, as well put by others: Jerk Leno can feel free to pull his checkbook out of the glove compartment of whichever of his gazillion dollar cars he arrives in and start sharing the wealth. Which he should be doing even if he never told a fag joke in his life. And, yes: paging Madonna, Babs, Marc Cherry et al., we do take credit cards!

Posted by: Leland Frances | Jun 4, 2008 11:08:08 AM

10. Alright Jay, I see your sincerity and since your hosting of the Tonight Show is coming to a definite act, I guess you don't have any alterior motive than really make an effort to apologize for the last Ryan Philippe/gayest look mistake. You're forgiven in my book and thanks for doing this, we should need more celebrities to speak out for this issue.

Posted by: yvespaul | Jun 4, 2008 11:59:03 AM

11. If it were just one incident, I'd not be offended, but he's got such a long-long history of mean gay jokes that he gets little benefit of doubt any more from me. He was always the class clown for the jocks in school, and played to that crowd, being funny by picking on the little guy or the unpopular bunch. The irony is that he doesn't have so much as a high school diploma really.

Posted by: anon | Jun 4, 2008 1:02:07 PM

12. as angry as most people are at him for his "gayest face" jokes, and I understand that little jokes like that help to add fuel to the fire, you have to agree that a major personality stepping forward to get people to see the facts about gay marriage in Mass. not hurting or ruining anything IS IN FACT very helpful in the log run. You don't have to hug the guy or thank him, but he IS putting himself up for a TON of retribution by millions of very angry conservatives and evangelicals...he deserves some credit for standing in front of the angry mob and trying to talk some sense into them. To some of you it's too little too late? It will take an army of people to handle the negative mail, email and phone calls, the possible picketing by rligious groups, etc.. Gay people did the same thing to him about Gay Face, we barraged him with our opinions and our rants, and the evangelicals will do the same AND worse, and he KNOWS this. We need all the friends and help we can get during this time of the struggle, if he is willing to stand up and receive hell for helping spread the word that the sky ISN'T falling like the conservative propoganda machine would have everyone believe, then thank you Jay Leno.

Posted by: john | Jun 4, 2008 2:23:26 PM

13. It's not about the "gayest look." He has a history, and some of us have been paying attention.

I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt, but to chalk up all the anti-Leno rhetoric to one comment demonstrates a basic misunderstanding of Leno's attitude toward gays over the past few years.

Posted by: David T | Jun 4, 2008 9:49:06 PM

14. I HATED THE GAY FACE THING. I HAVE TO SAY THAT IVE MET JAY LENO AND HE WAS THE SECOND NICEST CELEBRITY IVE MET (WAYNE NEWTON WAS EVEN NICER!). I BET HE ACTUALLY FELT BAD RE: THE REACTION. IF THIS IS HIS WAY OF APOLOGIZING I SAY WE ACCEPT IT LIKE MEN(AND WOMEN). BTW, FOR JAY LENO (WHO I DONT FIND FUNNY) TO COME OUT IN SUPPORT OF THIS IS HUGE. HE'S THE LATENIGHT OPRAH F THE OVER 50'S. HE MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A LITTLE MORE CRED THAN EVEN OUR BELOVED ELLEN.

OH YEAH, CONAN SUCKS! CRAIG FERGUSON IS THE TRUE RULER OF LATE NIGHT. WELL, HIM AND BEA ARTHUR.

Posted by: dw314 | Jun 5, 2008 3:14:20 AM