New York | News | Theatre

2008 Tony Awards Handed Out in New York

Lupone

Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific and August: Osage County took home the highest number of awards at last night's Tonys while Lin Manuel Miranda's In the Heights took the honors for Best Musical. Patti Lupone delivered a performance from Gypsy that brought the house down and also took home the Leading Actress in a Musical trophy.

If you missed Josh & Josh's Towleroad interview with Lin Manuel Miranda, creator of In the Heights, you can read it here.

Check out the full list of winners, plus Lupone's performance and In the Heights, South Pacific, Rent, and Xanadu, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here are the winners. I've linked to Kevin Sessums' reviews of the shows for Towleroad, when available.

MUSICAL

Kevin Adams, The 39 Steps

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT
Stephen Sondheim

REGIONAL THEATER AWARD
Chicago Shakespeare Theatre

SPECIAL TONY AWARD
Robert Russell Bennett (1894-1981), in recognition of his historic contribution to American musical theatre in the field of orchestrations, as represented on Broadway this season by South Pacific.

Comments

1. I wonder why Steven Sondheim was not there to accept his special award? It was really odd that he didn't come, but had Mandy Potankin read a speech from him.

Posted by: master composer | Jun 16, 2008 12:43:39 PM

2. What’s up with Ms LuPone? I heard her singing “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” like a scat singer. Twisting up accents on different words and singing through her nose part of the time. PS The chorus boys from Cry-Baby and South Pacific looked like they were recruited from Splash Bar or The Gaiety Theatre.

Posted by: ggreen | Jun 16, 2008 1:10:40 PM

3. GGreen, it's called emoting. If you've seen her performance in context it's a natural extension of her character. She wasn't trying to sing Bel Canto. That's the difference between opera and musical theater.

Posted by: wetcnt | Jun 16, 2008 1:15:37 PM

4. and mandy patinkin is such a self-important hemorhoid. ugh!

Posted by: nic | Jun 16, 2008 1:29:07 PM

5. i saw patti last week and she blew me away. she's much better appreciated live, but i loved her performance on tv.

mixed bag for me this year. i loved passing strange and sunday in the park and i really wish they had been honored more.

and i was worried about mr. sondheim as well. i know he's getting up there, but he's got a new show opening at the public this fall and i want him to be around some more . . . i still think the musical theater needs him.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 16, 2008 1:46:36 PM

6. I hate Red Lasso! Am I the only one who can't ever get it to play correctly?

Posted by: ridwah | Jun 16, 2008 1:47:26 PM

7. I saw Stephen Sondheim on stage with Angela Lansbury just last month when he participated in a LADIES WHO SING SONDHEIM benefit event. Don't know why he didn't show at the TONYS but he is up and around.

THE GAIETY? A throwback to the pre-Giuliani glory days when such venues existed. My favorite was SHOWPALACE which is now a family restaurant.

Back to the TONYS... Mr. Jackson's legs deserved an award all their very own.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jun 16, 2008 1:48:57 PM

8. I was just on someone else's blog where they dismissed Passing Strange as just "strange." Is anyone else appalled that the show didn't take home any other awards? I mean granted, I'm happy out of all those nominated In the Heights won, especially when pitted against such horrific spectacles like Xanadu. They should have a "We'll bring anything to broadway in hopes of pocketing People's Money" category. This way, they can leave whatever is respectable in the big categories.

Posted by: EJ Leonard | Jun 16, 2008 2:23:39 PM

9. Passing Strange only won for best book?? What a fucking joke the Tonys are!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jun 16, 2008 2:54:15 PM

10. Thrilled that "In the Heights" won, but how cute is Xanadu? (Quite cute)

Also, LMAO at Lily Tomlin trying to read "LMAO" off the teleprompter.

Posted by: thin mint | Jun 16, 2008 3:30:40 PM

11. Wetcnt: You say its emoting I say its ego. It sounded like she was singing in a foreign language phonetically. Baby doesn’t sound like bauheeha

Posted by: ggreen | Jun 16, 2008 5:09:41 PM

12. I thought LuPone was the highlight of the evening, and wish I could see her entire performance in what has to be my all-time favorite show, but I'm on the wrong coast. I'm not sure what CGREEN has a problem with, but to each his own.

And yes, an award for Mr. Jackson's thighs seems in order. My goodness.

Posted by: JT | Jun 16, 2008 6:27:35 PM

13. Patti is too hot for a cool medium like TV--you gotta see her in person to appreciate the force field she generates on stage. I saw her in Sunset Boulevard in London twice and each time I was thoroughly gobsmacked.

Posted by: Tommy | Jun 16, 2008 6:55:21 PM

14. I think they got it right this year.

Posted by: kylesea | Jun 16, 2008 11:05:17 PM

15. Red Lasso video is terrible, jerky, interrupted, long waits while the stream catches up. Here's a YouTube clip of the same song. The cam was handheld. Did they edit the closeups by blowing up the image digitally?

Lupone's Everything is the first I've heard that can challenge the Merm's. Her voice is powerful and she can handle the lyrics.

Posted by: Progression | Jun 17, 2008 4:50:26 AM

16. Unless the hand cam was shooting the TV...

Posted by: Progression | Jun 17, 2008 4:58:36 AM