Dance | News | Reality TV

Nigel Lythgoe Says Dancer Looks Like He's Been Anally Violated

Shoved

So You Think You Can Dance is one of my guilty summer entertainment pleasures, for sure, but producer and judge Nigel Lythgoe, who has been known to take dancers to task for their lack of masculinity, last night told a contestant that he looked "like someone's taken a broomstick and shoved it up where the sun don't shine."

How Lythgoe might have first-hand knowledge of what that looks like I have no idea, but it was a pretty rude comment. The audience thought so too, and I don't imagine he'd say the same thing to a woman.

I've clipped it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here, also, was one of my favorite performances of the night:

Previously
So You Think You Can Strip is Back [tr]

Comments

1. And he even provided a visual, class act that one is.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jun 12, 2008 10:56:23 AM

2. I have yet to understand English people's contempt with anything anal (or sexual for that matter). Almost all of the vilest insults(redundant, i know) in the english language have a sexual connotation to them. Is it subconscious obsession or what?

Posted by: Shabaka | Jun 12, 2008 10:58:03 AM

3. So, I suppose the critique was since he already has the broomstick stuck up his ass, it would be really great if he just "relax a little bit more" and just "get down into it".

Hmmmm. I guess that's hot.

But was the initial comment even necessary? The majority of the audience, most of whom I assumed was straight, seemed to agree with me.

Posted by: banjiboi | Jun 12, 2008 10:59:09 AM

4. While I do think it was a bit rude, the comment really was meant to illustrate how stiff and straight his back was during that performance. I don't agree with the simile he used, but the criticism was warranted.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 12, 2008 11:03:03 AM

5. thanks for making a point of that. i enjoyed most of that show... except the judging which i thought was highly manipulative. and matt surprised me by being one of the MOST character projecting of the dancers. i hope the sleaziness of that comment influences his votes upward rather than down.

Posted by: jack | Jun 12, 2008 11:07:07 AM

6. and in rejoinder to the previous poster, matt is 6'3" if i recall. if he is going to have any proper back line at ALL he is going to present a long straight line. AND his partner was 5'9" herself, just shy 6" in heels. the show, and nigel in particular, has a problem with classically trained dancers.

Posted by: jack | Jun 12, 2008 11:16:56 AM

7. I agree with Dan. The comment was off color and perhaps rude but I don't think it was meant to be in any way malicious, insulting or homophobic. He was attempting, POORLY, to give constructive criticism by making the very valid point that the kid was too stiff and upright through his performance and needed to loosen up and relax.

As for the other couple featured above, WOW, just WOW! That was absolutely AMAZING. Brought a tear to my eye.

Posted by: Zeke | Jun 12, 2008 11:17:59 AM

8. Andy, you are the best at keeping us posted by the slurs of these vile cretins, be they the alleged 'cute' ones like Lebeof or as 'foul' as this thing. It never ceases to amaze me how they can say trash like this and keep a job, but, the last group to be freely insulted are gays, as long as the person doing it can make some money for someone.

Thank God I don't own a TV if this is the tripe that they put on it.

Posted by: Sebastian | Jun 12, 2008 11:20:52 AM

9. Lithgoe has his kinder moments but, inevitably, his true self—a pig with about 47 teeth too many—emerges. It's another sad commentary on the dumbing down both intellectually and morally, as it were, that American TV viewers have come to so tolerate the latest species of broadcast villain: the British asshat whose schtick is to often be as cruel as possible. I stopped watching this show's audition milking once it was clear that, even worse than Idol, a certain amount of time was invariably devoted to mocking the mentally challenged who dared show up.

While I'd certainly believe that he was a fag in more ways than one in whatever Brit boys school he was shipped off to by his unctuous parents, and, when drunk, could possibly be coaxed into revealing what Joe Orton's cock and Quentin Crisp's bum tasted like, he competes with his fellow Brit reptile Simon for Idol for the most shameless homophobe on reality TV. Why the fuck is SAAD er GLAAD out, repeat OUT, there protesting them, shutting the shows down with their bodies [forget pressuring sponsors] rather than simply sending the occasional e-complaint?

One does sometimes see some spellbinding dancing and choreography [rare in a culture still dominated by retardation er rap], and some fine male and female bodies [a spectacular dancer the first season who got 86ed because of his insufferable attitude nearly melted the screen with his sizzling sensuality], but at the price of putting up with blatant, uncompromising homohatred and more literal sexism. Though they've toyed with male-male pairing, the only way we'd ever see ROMANTIC male couple dancing on this show would be over Lithgoe's dead, possibly anal wart-infested body.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Jun 12, 2008 11:22:27 AM

10. That guy creeps me out for some reason. It's like he watched American Idol from behind the scenes all the years, but always yearned to be in front of the camera. So he just made himself a judge on So You Think You Can Dance. He's like one of those bad, foul-mouthed contestants during the try-out phase of Idol.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 12, 2008 11:25:41 AM

11. lythgoe is a creepy dirty old man... have you ever noticed how he leers at the hot young women that compete on the show? it's really disgusting and obvious, which is why i hit the mute button whenever he opens his pie-hole. what an idiot.

Posted by: bob | Jun 12, 2008 11:29:49 AM

12. the fact that this show isn't live, and the comment could/should have been edited out, says something.. one would hope mary had a few words with nigel after she tried to mend the fence with her comments on the performance. matt deserved extra credit for be able to hoist his partners weight into the air and spin her around. thought their both tall, they're not a physical match which will probably lead to both of them having an early exit from the show.

Posted by: my2cents | Jun 12, 2008 11:49:54 AM

13. I'm sure had he ever heard of Abner Louima he might be a little less ready with the broomstick jokes.

Posted by: MT | Jun 12, 2008 12:03:23 PM

14. I agree with Dan and Jack. This is common slang for a dancer that is dancing too stiffly. However most of the audience wouldn't know that, so I understand how people are put off by it. While this might be appropriate feedback in the rehearsal studio, Nigel showed poor judgment in using it on TV where it would certainly be misinterpreted and embarrass the dancer as well as his friends and family. While I don't believe Lythgoe was being mean-spirited, he should apologize for any embarrassment caused by his remark.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 12, 2008 12:14:47 PM

15. Oh, come on. Talking about having a broomstick up one's ass has long been common slang to describe someone as stiff and uptight. It's no big deal.

Posted by: John | Jun 12, 2008 12:30:00 PM

16. These shows could be a lot fairer to the contestants, but they are basically designed to humiliate for our entertainment. It's not the judges who are cruel, it's the audience at home.

Posted by: anon | Jun 12, 2008 12:37:14 PM

17. I think it was just a fancy way of saying "you have a stick up your ass" which just means people are rigid or inflexible, as if they have a wooden spine. It's not an anti-gay slur.

My problem with Nigel is his long feathered hair and hideous outfits. He really is from the same school as Simon in that they are raking in mountains of cash and they let themselves look like complete shit while doing so.

Posted by: paul | Jun 12, 2008 12:37:18 PM

18. Don't get it.

And this is a gay issue why? Don't straight people have anal sex, too? And isn't it true that anything shoved up the rectum without fanfare can cause pain? I don't see the slur, or even shades of one.

As long as we continue to get our backs up (pun intended) about these sexual references, we'll only be defining ourselves the way our stereotypers see us.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 12, 2008 12:56:51 PM

19. Cheers, Leland ;)

To the "British asshat's" credit however, I've heard him be equally genteel in his judgements, and after a period of hours observing the mentally challenged masses I can't say I blame him at times. The show itself is a reflection of televised mediocrity, but I suppose to otherwise video what is in reality, some of the most boring shit in the universe without the accompanying juvenile character assasinations, would be an utter failure. You can thank Jerry Springer for the cultural phenomena. What I simply cannot tolerate and my reason for refusing to watch, is that zaftig snickering hyena sitting on the panel. Have a painkiller, honey. I know I have to in order to listen to that screetching.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jun 12, 2008 12:58:23 PM

20. They should make this old QUEEN demonstrate...I am quite sure he has more experience than any of us getting anally violated.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 12, 2008 1:02:17 PM

21. Oh, and, GO JORDIN!

;)

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jun 12, 2008 1:04:51 PM

22. So sad that this asshole has so much power and influence on what we watch. It's disgusting the way he salivates over the sexy young female dancers and how he is automatically against any of the poor guys who he brands as effeminate. I also noticed that Mary Murphy has also become more obnoxious and mean-spirited this season, perhaps under Nigel's horrible influence. I wish he'd just leave Americans alone. What a nasty, miserable, homophobic asshole.

Posted by: Sebastiani | Jun 12, 2008 1:24:02 PM

23. So sad that this asshole has so much power and influence on what we watch. It's disgusting the way he salivates over the sexy young female dancers and how he is automatically against any of the poor guys who he brands as effeminate. I also noticed that Mary Murphy has also become more obnoxious and mean-spirited this season, perhaps under Nigel's horrible influence. I wish he'd just leave Americans alone. What a nasty, miserable, homophobic asshole.

Posted by: Sebastiani | Jun 12, 2008 1:26:31 PM

24. Weren't these the same tired wenches(including the two female judges) who ruthlessly lashed out at that beautiful Italian stud, I mean, dancer a few weeks ago? SOUR GRAPES!...half the folks over the age of 50 suffer from SOUR GRAPES. Enjoy the YOUNG and the BEAUTIFUL! you old bitches. Is that ageism? Ask my fifty year old ass do I care?

SOUR GRAPES!( like Jo Van Fleet yelled at Anna Magnani in "The Rose Tattoo").

SEBASTIAN: what happened with your name? SEBASTIANI? I love it. You turned into an Itlalian stud too?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 12, 2008 1:39:11 PM

25. ...and tonight he'll probably make an apology for it, the schmuck. With so many other ways he could've said it, he chooses such a poor and tasteless example; at least on-air.

Ok, now as for the clip; I LOVED it when I watched it last night, and I LOVED it this am.
    By far the best of the night. I was very, very surprised that it was a "hip hop" routine because usually the routines on the show that I like the most are the Mya Michaels ones. She's amazing! But these guys really stole the show.
    How in the world the couple that did the Tango one got as much praise as they did, is beyond me. They didn't deserve the praise for that dance.

And guys, if you haven't taken the time to watch the above clip of the dance...it's worth the time.

Posted by: silverskreen | Jun 12, 2008 1:58:36 PM