Books | Christopher Ciccone | Guy Ritchie | Madonna | News

BigGayDeal.com

Christopher Ciccone Publicity Blitz Begins for Madonna Tell-All

Ciccone

Excerpts of Christopher Ciccone's tell-all Life with My Sister Madonna were published over the weekend in the Mail on Sunday (along with some never-before-seen photos, including the one above, right), most of which dealt with Guy Ritchie's homophobia and how it came between Christopher and Madonna. Here's a bit where Christopher exacts a bit of verbal revenge on Guy after feeling like the butt end of Guy's homophobic jokes while at Scotland's Skibo Castle for their wedding:

Ritchie***

Madonna stands up at the top of the table and issues the instruction: 'Christopher, tonight it's your turn to give the toast.'

I lean down the baronial table and, with great emphasis, reply: 'Madonna, you really don't want me to do that.' It's a statement, not a question.

'No, Christopher, it's your turn!' she barks in a tone identical to the one she always used as a kid when she and my siblings all played Monopoly together.

If she didn't get Park Place [Mayfair in the English version] she invariably stamped her feet and said: 'But it's mine.' In those days, in the face of her strong will, I always capitulated and rescinded my purchase of Park Place.

Nothing seems to have changed. I stand up. My fellow guests fall silent out of respect - the brother of the bride is about to make a speech. I raise my glass: 'I'd like to toast this happy moment that comes only twice in a person's lifetime.'

Then, without skipping a beat, I go on: 'And if anybody wants to **** Guy, he'll be in my room later.'

Everyone erupts in laughter. Everyone, of course, except Madonna, who keeps saying: 'What did he mean?' Guy, who I suspect knows exactly what I mean, says nothing and avoids looking at me.

Soon after, Trudie [Styler] tells me: 'That was hysterical. I've been listening to all those homophobic jokes. I just want you to know that we were aware of how you must be feeling.'

***

Ciccone also appeared this morning on Good Morning America. You can watch that, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Ciccone Tell-All Cover Revealed as Madonna Denies Divorce, Affair [tr]
Christopher Ciccone writing Memoir: Life with My Sister Madonna [tr]

(clip via queerty)

Comments

1. Christopher Ciccone has the smell of "attention whore" about him. He also has the appearance of someone who is attempting to cover up for his sister's apparent homophobia. It's a "blame it all on Guy" sort of thing.

Fact is, we in the gay community woke up to Madonna's stunts ages ago. She's homophobic in the sense that she trivialized same-sex relations by reducinig them to the level of straight male-appeasing fantasies, such as the kiss with Britney.

Madonna appears to have faked her bisexuality to get publicity - I can't think of anything more debasing to the orientation.

Posted by: jason | Jul 14, 2008 10:27:05 AM

2. I just read that entire piece at the Mail (that's 20 minutes I'll never see again), and not once does Guy Ritchie come across as homophobic.

Instead, Christopher Ciccone sounds like an enormous douchebag.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 14, 2008 10:41:09 AM

3. looks like christopher ciccone is still finding ways to use his sister to make a buck.

Posted by: ian | Jul 14, 2008 10:58:53 AM

4. yawn...

Posted by: John | Jul 14, 2008 11:07:02 AM

5. Jason, your comment about Madonna being homophobic is ill-informed and self-defeating. If Madonna's homophobic, then nobody on earth (including most actually gay people) will ever be homo-accepting enough for you.

Madonna is the first—and only—non-gay gay icon who has given her gay fans true respect as equals and not just an acknowledgment that we exist. From the beginning of her career, when AIDS was providing a convenient excuse for stars and anyone else to be anti-gay, Madonna has been pro-gay. She helped her best friend who was dying of AIDS, paying all of his bills and being with him, she's donated plenty of money and time to AIDS causes (so that years later lots of gay men can dismiss HIV as being as manageable as diabetes) and her work has challenged straight people (not trivialized gay people) by incorporating queer imagery. She has a "we're the same" mentality when it comes to gay people.

Madonna didn't fake her bisexuality for publicity to advance her record sales, if that's what you're implying. If she'd done ballads and steered clear of controversy, she would be even bigger than she is today. She LOST fans when she allowed people to believe she might be having sex with Sandra Bernhard, she lost more after her polymorphously perverse SEX book. Madonna allowing people to think she might be bisexual normalized bisexuality for a lot of people, made it less of a mystery. I believe she did that for that reason, because to Madonna, who the fuck cares?

And I detest Britney Spears, but that kiss (don't forget Christina Aguilera, too) was brilliant theater that mind-fucked a lot of homophobes. Madonna's provocations are usually done to make fun of the people she knows will be most offended. And in that way, she is a lot braver than all but a small handful of the actually gay men and women in the entertainment industry, who prefer to keep their mouths shut and hunt for a paycheck.

I don't mind when gay people just don't happen to dig Madonna, but when they get going on an anti-Madonna track, like she's part of the problem, it really makes no sense. She's on our side, whether you like her music, tours, videos, movies (nobody does) or photos, and she isn't just in it for the money 'cuz she could make much more of it in much less difficult ways.

Not that I've given this any thought or anything.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jul 14, 2008 11:14:43 AM

6. "(so that years later lots of gay men can dismiss HIV as being as manageable as diabetes)"

WRONG.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jul 14, 2008 11:26:28 AM

7. Oh, c'mon, you guys, this sounds like a delicious summer read. :D

Posted by: jjabely | Jul 14, 2008 12:01:18 PM

8. "Madonna is the first—and only—non-gay gay icon who has given her gay fans true respect as equals and not just an acknowledgment that we exist."

WRONG, Try Cyndi Lauper.

She's about 10 times more active in the community.

Posted by: Nick | Jul 14, 2008 12:37:17 PM

9. He comes across as a major jerk...but so does Guy Ritchie. Madonna just can't seem to attract good men.

As for her own behavior, one reaps what one sows I suppose.

Posted by: Ben | Jul 14, 2008 12:45:01 PM

10. I agree, JJABELY.

This is a perfect summer read. This has enough juicy dirt to qualify Chris for The Kitty Kelly Poke Your Icon With a Rusty Nail Award.

As for doing for a buck, Madonna has been, rather smartly, I might add, exploiting cultural trends for years when it seemed to best suit her needs for album sales. Sooner or later, every major celebrity is going to be brought down to earth by books like these. I guess Randy J. Taborelli did not slay the dragon well enough. And an unauthorized biography by a sibling is gift from the gossip gods.

Pass the bon bons, please.

Posted by: banjiboi | Jul 14, 2008 12:47:10 PM

11. MATTHEW: well said. I'm not a fan of Madonna's but she has done much for gay causes.

I disagree that she is the one and only non gay icon who has given respect, etc...

Elizabeth Taylor (Madonna's efforts--and all others that follow-- are pitiful compared to hers), Bette Midler, Annie Lennox, Princess Di, Cyndi Lauper, Liza, and even Kathy Griffin (I know that she'll be controversial) have been very publicly supportive of gays.

And I really do love Desperately Seeking Susan, but not so much because of her.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 14, 2008 12:47:47 PM

12. doing IT for a buck, that is.

Posted by: banjiboi | Jul 14, 2008 12:48:29 PM

13. What Matthew Rettenmund said.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 14, 2008 1:04:28 PM

14. Well said, Matthew.

In any case, it might not be much of a publicity blitz for him- Gawker is reporting that Liz Rosenberg has been furiously telephoning media outlets saying that if they have Chris on, they'll never have access to Madonna again. ET and Extra have reportedly caved, but I guess GMA is big enough to ignore any warnings.

Oh, and after reading the Mail excerpt, i'm def. reading it! He's such a histrionic queen, but yeah, it's a trashy beach read for sure.

Posted by: Bell | Jul 14, 2008 1:07:46 PM

15. All I got out of this story is how much Madonna looked like Lourdes as a child.

CC is worm smegma.

Posted by: thevegasstyleguy | Jul 14, 2008 1:22:51 PM

16. BTW, as "Madge" might say, "spot on Mathew

And when anyone is through with this beach trash, send it to me! I can't stand to buy it. There's a Starbucks but no sand at Barnes and Noble!

Posted by: thevegasstyleguy | Jul 14, 2008 1:27:37 PM

17. "Gawker is reporting that Liz Rosenberg has been furiously telephoning media outlets saying that if they have Chris on, they'll never have access to Madonna again. "

sounds like someone is afraid.

Posted by: ROFL | Jul 14, 2008 1:45:54 PM

18. Madonna is the biggest money grubbing fame whore in the history of the planet. Why is anyone surprised her brother is the same?

Posted by: dezboy | Jul 14, 2008 3:45:29 PM

19. Is he English now too?

Posted by: Br!on | Jul 14, 2008 4:51:38 PM

20. C'mon, boys. This book comes out right as a Madonna scandal/possible divorce breaks and just so happens to be at the same time as she's gearing up for her tour? There are NO coincidences is Madges world. It's all connected and orchastrated, believe it.

Posted by: Johnn P | Jul 14, 2008 7:55:54 PM

21. C'mon, boys. This book comes out right as a Madonna scandal/possible divorce breaks and just so happens to be at the same time as she's gearing up for her tour? There are NO coincidences is Madges world. It's all connected and orchastrated, believe it.

Posted by: Johnn P | Jul 14, 2008 7:56:25 PM

22. C'mon, boys. This book comes out right as a Madonna scandal/possible divorce breaks and just so happens to be at the same time as she's gearing up for her tour? There are NO coincidences is Madges world. It's all connected and orchastrated, believe it.

Posted by: Johnn P | Jul 14, 2008 7:56:31 PM

23. Matthew,

The kiss with Britney played into the hands of sleazy straight guys. This is homosexuality as fetish, not as orientation. It is no different from the skanks who kiss each other in lesbian poses for the grubby men's magazines. Learn the difference between orientation and fetish, Matthew. One's about respect, the other's about pandering.

As for Madonna and AIDS, yet another celebrity using AIDS to ingratiate herself with the gay community. It's a ploy.

Posted by: jason | Jul 14, 2008 8:42:06 PM

24. Who cares?

Posted by: BILLF | Jul 14, 2008 11:12:17 PM

25. I can't wait to read it, and I'm sure it is all true, or a very high percentage of it is. From the excerpts I've read, it doesn't paint a very flattering portrait, but it isn't anything you couldn't imagine her being like, and it is quite hilarious.

Guy always seemed to be a major prick, and this just confirms it. Pity that her massive need for a man led her to him, and the downfall of so many of the great gay
    men in her life.

It's sad when siblings end their relationships, but it seemed like theirs was dysfunctional (at best) for a very long time. I'm sure he is bitter and heartbroken and felt this was his only way at getting his voice heard (and revenge, and $$$).

Posted by: Chad | Jul 15, 2008 1:17:06 AM