Anglican church | Episcopal Church | Gene Robinson | News

Sudanese Archbishop Demands Gay Bishop Gene Robinson Resign

Archbishop of Sudan Daniel Deng called for the resignation of gay Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson at a news conference yesterday, saying it's the only way to avoid a schism in the Church.

DengSaid Deng: "Gene Robinson has to be away from the Anglican world and be a normal Christian. If he is, as he always says, a Christian, he should resign for the sake of the church."

Deng has not spoken with Robinson directly. Said the Sudanese bishop: "I have nothing to say to him."

Following Deng's statement, the Right Rev Jack Iker, Bishop of Forth Worth, called on those who believe in Gene Robinson to leave the conference:

RobinsonSaid Iker:

"Those Bishops who stand in solidarity with Gene Robinson should withdraw themselves from further participation in the Lambeth Conference. Having failed in several attempts to include Gene in the Conference, his supporters should themselves feel a sense of rejection from the Conference itself. Integrity and honesty would dictate that they should stand with Gene — excluded from full participation in the Lambeth Conference. Is this all talk, or is it backed up by action?"

25% of the world's Anglican bishops have boycotted the Lambeth Conference because of the Episcopal church's ordination of Robinson. Robinson is in Canterbury, England holding events on the fringes of the Lambeth conference. Earlier this month, he was heckled while giving a sermon by a protester branding him a "heretic."

Watch Deng's news conference, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Another alleged "Christian" who is anti-gay and has not spoke up about the genocide in his own country, can we say two bit, trifling bigot with a Bible like most of the thumpers?

Posted by: Lance | Jul 23, 2008 11:03:17 AM

2. "we are not throwing anyone away, but... this is not the norms of the anglican world" and "he should resign." Sounds like throwing someone away to me!

Am I crazy or does he refer to him as Jimmy Robinson?

If the Africans want to split off, let them. Don't they have more important things to worry about in the Sudan than Gene Robinson???? Seems I may have heard of some problem there...

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 23, 2008 11:06:46 AM

3. Wow, the "two Adams" argument. We're obviously dealing with a moral and intellectual giant here.

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Jul 23, 2008 11:09:01 AM

4. My own Episcopal (Anglican) diocese sponsors a mission in the Sudanese Diocese of Lui, and has for years sent a lot of money, resources and personnel to the area. A goodly amount of those donations came from homosexual Episcopalians, including myself and my partner.

Does Bp. Deng really want to hold this line? If so, then the only response I feel I can make is to withdraw all material support for the dioceses in his Province.

Unless he reverses his call for Bp. Robinson to resign, he's seen the last dollar from me.

As far as Bp. Iker goes, he can kiss my faggoty ass.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 23, 2008 11:11:14 AM

5. Bishop Deng is nothing other than a Sudenese homophobe with smile.

Posted by: Sean R | Jul 23, 2008 11:52:09 AM

6. I believe in God. The Adam and Eve story is bullshit. Any person with half an intellect would know that. These people make me sick. The world's churches should split into two: the right wing in one church, and the sane in the other.

Posted by: john | Jul 23, 2008 12:11:44 PM

7. I believe in God. The Adam and Eve story is bullshit. Any person with half an intellect would know that. These people make me sick. The world's churches should split into two: the right wing in one church, and the sane in the other.

Posted by: john | Jul 23, 2008 12:11:57 PM

8. Ditto,LANCE!! These idiots won't denounce their bloodthirsty dictator of a president but yet "two Adams" is so despicable. Closet prick!!

Posted by: Shabaka | Jul 23, 2008 12:19:11 PM

9. Hey, wait a sec....isn't there something else going on in Sudan that might be a little more important than someone's sexual orientation? I guess starvation and murder are lesser issues that good God fearing folks can figure out after they work through the nasty sex stuff.

Posted by: rick | Jul 23, 2008 12:21:00 PM

10. Re: “Deng said that God did not make a mistake in creating Adam and Eve and would have created two Adams if he had wanted that.”
    If God created a man named Adam then were is the proof that this Adam ever existed? According to the Bible Adam lived to be over 900 years old. Yet there isn’t a single bit of evidence to prove he ever lived. I thought lying was wrong? Oh wait, as long as it’s the Bible that’s lying then it’s okay.
    As a Deist (http://www.deism.com/) I believe in a God that evolved man just as science teaches today.
    I may not have all the answers but I at least know not to put my faith in a story book that lies.

Posted by: 1♥ | Jul 23, 2008 12:31:39 PM

11. I've been an organist in an Episcopal church for over twenty-five years (in TN!)and no one has ever spoken a single bad word about Bishop Robinson. I spoke with his office one time a few years ago and said that with so many organists being gay, how in the world could these "other Episcopal Churches" ever find an organist?

Posted by: Harry | Jul 23, 2008 12:48:03 PM

12. These F people think they can ask us for help and be prejudice against us...why doesn't he focus on helpign his country which needs more help...This is why Africa is sufferring not even their own people care for it and expects us to do the job F**K them!~

I refuse to help a country where they treat us so badly, they killl lgbt, they are monsters to their people.

Posted by: Bosie | Jul 23, 2008 1:02:49 PM

13. Yeah. Like we need to take ethical and moral leadership from SUDAN.

Bitch, please.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 23, 2008 1:18:23 PM

14. God didn't create clothes, houses, cars, water cleaning plants, electrical appliances or medical care, either.

Yet I don't see Dr. Deng living naked in the woods surviving on sea/lake water and rodents.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Jul 23, 2008 1:47:57 PM

15. BOSIE and others,

In our criticism of African & Caribbean anti-gay hatred let us never forget how Black Africans learned their homophobia: Muslim invaders and Christian missionaries. It was practically forced on them. We need to remind Africans of that fact too. They've been so brainwashed that they won't like it, but tough shit.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 23, 2008 2:00:35 PM

16. There are about 3 billion Adams at this point, so I am assuming that God wants some kind of massive anal gang-bang...otherwise there would still just be one dude. That's my interpretation, but I'm not a cool priest and all.

Posted by: paul | Jul 23, 2008 2:22:47 PM

17. Point well taken, DERRICK!! I hope those of us(gays)who criticize bigots from "uncivilized" nations, would just take a second and remember whose footsteps these bigots re following in. It's one thing to denounce idiocy and bigotry but it's another to utter self-validating and sometime condescending comments and disguise them as criticism. Been guilty of that a million times before myself. Let's face it. Africa has the Bachirs of Sudan and the Rev Tutus of South Africa. She has the Mugabes of Zimbabwe and the Kagames of Rwanda and the list goes on...Geniuses and idiots on that continent are just as rife as they're abundant in any western country.

T

Posted by: Shabaka | Jul 23, 2008 4:45:53 PM

18. I see that Deng is trying to softpedal his attack, in order to distract attention from the brutality against gay folk that he and his freinds are instigating.
    It's a political move, because when Americans learn of such cruelty, Deng's crowd will probably loose the argument.

Posted by: WillBFair | Jul 27, 2008 10:39:22 AM