Advertising | Basketball | New York | News

That Ain't Right, Nike

Nike

More homophobic advertising, this time from Nike. This one has been seen on phone booths in Harlem.

The ads were created by Wieden + Kennedy studio. You can see more in the series here. None are as overtly homophobic but all of them play upon how awful it is that a man's face might be close to another man's crotch.

(via the gay recluse and queerty)

Comments

1. Good for you, Andy! Finally someone willing to stand up and say that pretty much everything everywhere is homophobic! THANK YOU!!!

Posted by: holdensf | Jul 22, 2008 12:56:42 PM

2. Good for you, Andy! Finally someone willing to stand up and say that pretty much everything everywhere is homophobic! THANK YOU!!!

Posted by: holdensf | Jul 22, 2008 12:59:06 PM

3. Would someone please call the EPA and ask for an emergency test on the water you guys are drinking? If what "ain't right" is dunking on someone then the person wearing the Nikes [in this ad and all the others] is in the wrong—why would an advertiser send THAT message? The actual message is as old and primitive as living in caves: "'real men' [as in those smart/butch enough to buy Nikes] are the dominant ones. Those they dominate are not men."

I suggest y'all write the majority of those who commented on the agency's site who agree that their campaign is transparently built upon cheap homophobia and ask them where they get THEIR water. All except for JT, of course, who echoes his idiocy here there.

No wonder we're still second class citizens.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Jul 22, 2008 1:03:47 PM

4. This is not homophobic. Unfortunately this is somewhat of a culture clash because most gay men don't understand sports. Sorry, but it's true. This has nothing to do with homophobia and everything to do with competition.

Posted by: Stan | Jul 22, 2008 1:10:25 PM

5. Hi Andy, I love your website. I have to disagree with you regarding the Nike Advertisement...I don't find this homophobic at all. If you look at the ENTIRE series it is telling a story. We cannot pick one snapshot and make the assumption that it's homophobic or anti-gay without looking at the entire series. This is what the holy rollers do when they quote the bible to us, they take ONE sentence and exclude the entire paragraph.

Posted by: ugotmeinsd_619 | Jul 22, 2008 1:14:25 PM

6. Precisely, Mr. Bedwell. Professional sports is wildly homophobic. This is a very simple fact. But the "straight-acting/straight-appearing" who post in here would rather die than admit it. Instead they attack the rest of us.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 22, 2008 1:18:24 PM

7. Good Lord. "That ain't right" has specific meaning within the context of sports; it basically means that you just got crushed, owned, used, destroyed; pick the verb of your choice. So yea, a lot of you are clearly demonstrating your ignorance of sports culture by calling it homophobic.

When someone jumps so high they are basically going over your head and you've been caught flat-footed in basketball, well, that ain't right.

Context matters. You don't get to invent your own context when one already exists, at least not without making a good faith effort to understand the context that's already there.

But I'm sure many will continue to decry the homophobia without trying to understand the cultural context these images are coming from. Wonderful!

Posted by: Dan E | Jul 22, 2008 1:28:11 PM

8. I don't understand b-ball(and that has nothing to do with my gayness, STAN),but "that ain't right" part is feeding into the fear that "straight" men have with each other's crotches, regardless of what the "rules" of basketball are. Period! Homophobic? By definition, yes!!

Posted by: Shabaka | Jul 22, 2008 1:31:34 PM

9. Geez Louise, so many shithead apologists here on Towleroad today. This Nike advertisement says that a man's face in another man's crotch "ain't right". Yet you idiots attempt to spin the ad as doing nothing more than highlighting an offensive move in basketball. I'd laugh if your responses weren't so pathetic and depressing.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jul 22, 2008 1:40:51 PM

10. my drinking water is just fine, thank you.
    wow, it amazes me that you got all of that from the ad. as a designer, i love the fact that people stand around my ad and look for all the nuances that are probably not there. (as a quick interpretation, i was taking the "that ain't right" in the same context of some of the other tags, slightly sarcastic and "trash talking" of sorts)
    i guess the safest thing would to have ads that are just white backgrounds with text that has been sent to everyone in the world for approval. although, we probably shouldn't use white backgrounds. or black ones. probably rainbow backgrounds would be best, since it covers everyone, right? and it is gay friendly. although that would probably offend the religious people of the world, so we shouldn't do that (although they shouldn't have the right to be offended by stuff like we do, right? or at least mention that it upsets them. and if they do, we should yell at them and tell them they are wrong as loudly as we can.) and i guess the copy should be in every language known to man. we wouldn't want to leave anyone out. and it should be all gender neutral, of course. and it should be placed in every neighborhood and town in the world, because again, we wouldn't want to leave anyone out.
    and David, i highly doubt anyone would confuse me with someone who is straight acting. i think the minute i realized i liked dick, i crossed the line from straight acting to pretty damn gay. i don't think a blind person...sorry, sight-impaired person, would confuse me for a straight man. i have had just as hard a time in life as any of you who are doing all the policing of ads, and somehow i have managed to realize the difference between this ad campaign and the blatantly homophobic snickers ad with Mr. T that andy referred to earlier today. THAT is the ad you should all be focused on. not this.
    i am not saying homophobia doesn't exist in sports...it obviously does. and i am certainly not saying that there are no homophobic ads...all i am saying is that this sure as shit isn't one of them.

Posted by: JT | Jul 22, 2008 1:41:42 PM

11. JT, I accessed your site. You're no designer but you are a shithead. Congratulations! (I guess.)

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jul 22, 2008 1:46:15 PM

12. This is not homophobic. Stop whining about the inconsequential.

Some queens need to get over themselves, it's not all about you all the time...the whiners are probably just jealous that they're not getting T-bagged by a big old basketball player..

Posted by: bryand | Jul 22, 2008 1:57:10 PM

13. So derrick I see you had your Koolaid this morning. You managed somehow to get a Clinton slam in a totally unrelated thread. Wow, and the Hillary folks should , "let it go"?

Just pokin' at ya u still my boo. lol

Btw, I've never bought Nike products, they're ugly and worn by people I don't really have an affinity with/for much like A&F. And don't get me started on their whole system of production/enslavement.

And if you have a social conscious you should also try to avoid American Apparel (that's really hard I know), they make it a point to hire illegal aliens, yet, I've been to their factory and 95% roughly of their mgmt are white. There's nothing wrong with that at all except that the serial molester who runs that company makes a big deal about how he's helping poor people (as long as they aren't poor blacks or whites who might demand some rights)and our immigration laws should be ignored (he's not even an American, btw). Which really is a cover for hiring illegal aliens as serfs.

Posted by: thevegasstyleguy | Jul 22, 2008 2:01:02 PM

14. wow, JOHNINMANHATTAN, i take it you went to my photoblog, and deduced from that that i am not a designer? and wait, i'm sorry, i am a shithead for having an opinion different from yours?
    i am so happy you had the balls to say something, otherwise i might have gone through my life thinking i wasn't a shithead and was a designer.
    exactly what about my site leads you to think i am a shithead?
    and i would like to point out that up until this point, i haven't made any personal attacks on anyone. again, that was started by someone else. way to respect other people, way to have an open dialogue and promote discussion. way to acknowledge that people have opinions that are valid, even if they aren't your own.

Posted by: jt | Jul 22, 2008 2:01:02 PM

15. Count me in the camp that thinks this is much ado about nothing. Some gurls get their feathers ruffled about *everything* - must be tough to go through life that way.

I'm a huge college b'ball fan (UNC grad.) - see Danny Green's dunk jumping over Greg Paulus - pretty much the shot here. Everyone who hates dook* (which is everyone) made similar remarks but it had nothing to do with homophobia. Of course Paulus is a total little twit.

Posted by: ATLSteve | Jul 22, 2008 2:02:21 PM

16. What straight guys think of another man's "junk" (I learned that term from reading the comments on the site where these photos came from)--what they think of having another man's "junk" in their hetero faces is not a major concern of mine. Would we gays call our penises, testicles and perineums "junk". Obviously, straight guys have a different view of such bodily areas, and don't look at such intimate contact the way we do (well, officially they don't).

JT is right: the candy bar ad is blatantly anti-gay. This ad is for macho straight guys with the mentality of a 14 year old boy(a lot of 14 year old boys secretly do like to play with other boy's "junk"). But it aint my thaing.

JOHNINMANATTAN, don't let this heatwave make you mean and evil, child. It'll make your "junk" all sweaty.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 22, 2008 2:03:17 PM

17. JT You sir are a shitheaddesignerphotographer!

In other words a whole new niche market! You must immediately brand yourself as such and come out with a new line of ass loosening underpants made esp for people in Manhattan!

Wow homos! I learned more about BBall (see how quick I pick up!) in one comments section than I learned the whole time I was pretending to like to like it when I was dating this one hot guy back in the day. Honestly, if Rick Fox wasn't playing I was sneaking looks at Elle Decor.

Can anyone explain Rugby to me so I don't look like a total perv at Mcfaddens pub?

Posted by: thevegasstyleguy | Jul 22, 2008 2:16:40 PM

18. In a perfect world, there will still be masculine guys with too much testosterone who will think it's gross to have another guys sweaty crotch in their face. I think they are Nike's target audience here. If this ad offends you, maybe you should consider why you feel so threatened by these kind of men.

Posted by: GlennInTucson | Jul 22, 2008 2:19:42 PM

19. This is political correctness run amok. Have a sense of humor, for chrissakes. If you think this ad campaign is trying to say anything at all about gays or gay sex you are suffering from a severe paranoid delusion. It's not offensive just because you are offended. Get real.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 22, 2008 2:52:41 PM

20. I have to say I, too, don't find these all that homophobic. Kinda stupid, yes, but not all that offensive. AND, I was so impressed with the window they put on their flagship London store for Gay Pride a couple weeks back. It read:
    PROUD TO BE GAY. PROUD TO BE NIKE
    PROUD TO BE MYSELF. PROUD TO BE LESBIAN. PROUD TO BE STRAIGHT. PROUD TO BE MARRIED. PROUD TO BE TRANSGENDER. PROUD TO BE BISEXUAL. PROUD TO BE ACCEPTING. PROUD TO BE AN ALLY. PROUD TO BE RESPECTED. PROUD TO BE OUT. PROUD TO BE FAMILY. PROUD TO BE *swish logo*. I was so very impressed.....let's not start bashing a company that shows allegiance for one silly move....

Posted by: Tim | Jul 22, 2008 2:53:59 PM

21. My My, Andy. I think you've started WW3, lol.

Posted by: SONNIE | Jul 22, 2008 3:02:49 PM

22. ( )*( )

Posted by: Douchey | Jul 22, 2008 3:05:37 PM

23. sorry but a certain percentage of gay men need to address their own issues with sports and feelings of inadequency. These ads are not homophobic, but many gay men, because they don't understand sports and/or are threatened by athletes and men who do play sports are quick to lash out and scream homophobia at any instance involving straight men and sports. This is about basketball and making the shot. It's a whole other world outside some gay men's comfort zone. Try it sometime guys.

Posted by: Ray | Jul 22, 2008 3:08:56 PM

24. sorry but a certain percentage of gay men need to address their own issues with sports and feelings of inadequency. These ads are not homophobic, but many gay men, because they don't understand sports and/or are threatened by athletes and men who do play sports are quick to lash out and scream homophobia at any instance involving straight men and sports. This is about basketball and making the shot. It's a whole other world outside some gay men's comfort zone. Try it sometime guys.

Posted by: Ray | Jul 22, 2008 3:09:08 PM

25. What a bunch of crybaby pussy's. (No pun
    intended.) There is nothing wrong with this add, it's just funny. It is just nice to know that not everyone has jumped on the whole "PROMOTE THE GAY LIFESTYLE" bandwagon. Grow a set and stop bitchen about stupid stuff like this!

Posted by: April | Jul 22, 2008 3:13:22 PM