Advertising | Bill O'Reilly | George W. Bush | Jude Law | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube | Wayne Besen

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #332

BIAS?: Campbell Brown and Erica Hill mock impeachment hearings as Kabuki Theatre.

FOPPISH: Bill O'Reilly and Wayne Besen discuss the Snickers ad that was recently pulled. (via shakesville)

JUDE LAW: His first TV ad for Dior Homme Sport.

ACROPHOBIC: Trailer for Man on Wire, the documentary about French acrobat Philippe Petit's 1974 tightrope stunt between the twin towers of the World Trade Center. It opened over the weekend.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. The Dior Homme Sport ad made me laugh out loud. That's probably not what they were going for.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 30, 2008 3:39:31 PM

2. Not to be nitpicky, but the title of the doc is "Man on Wire," not "Man on a Wire." This is important, as it comes from the charge that was listed against Petit on his arrest form.

And, by the way, the film is brilliant, superb, extraordinary and lovely. Everyone should see it. (Saw it on Sunday at the Sunshine Theater)

Posted by: David | Jul 30, 2008 3:45:48 PM

3. re: "man on wire"

i don't think that this would be the best film for those who are acrophobic to attend. i know that just the preview had me cringing in my seat. a feature length movie's worth of him traversing the distance between the two towers is a lot more than i can handle.

Posted by: alguien | Jul 30, 2008 3:59:40 PM

4. Does this woman even know what Kabuki theatre is?!

Posted by: Scott B. | Jul 30, 2008 4:03:20 PM

5. Dior seems to frame Jude so that his hairline's usually obscured. A bit like Kirstie Alley behind the pots in those Pier One commercials. Eh, he's still hot.

Posted by: PJ | Jul 30, 2008 4:08:31 PM

6. Campbell Brown is married to Daniel Samuel Senor, a Republican consultant who regularly appears on the FOX netswork. Given that, it seems to me that journalism ethics would require her to disclose that fact whenever she reports on anything political.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 30, 2008 4:30:39 PM

7. Andy:

Thanks for the correction.

Alguien:

I guess you're right about acrophobia. I am not comfortable with heights, though it's not a phobia for me, and I, too, got the tingling in the back of my knees at times. But all of that added to the incredible suspense and exhilaration of the movie for me...

Posted by: DAVID | Jul 30, 2008 4:37:24 PM

8. It's like a don't ask don't tell policy in Congress!

You can't call Bush a liar when everyone knows he lied? Sheesh!

Liar, liar, liar, liar, liar! Some of us even knew it at the time.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jul 30, 2008 5:36:18 PM

9. Campbell Brown makes me so sick sometimes. CNN is just as bad as FOX News way to much of the time. I am so fed up with them!!!

Posted by: Lazlo | Jul 30, 2008 6:16:03 PM

10. I was about to post something along the lines of "who is campbell brown fucking to get these jobs?" - she's evokes the stereotypical sorority ditz (not all sororities are populated by ditzes; I know this) who really never had to form an intelligent thought in her life. She finally got left "Today" for this Fox job; so she is, at least, outta MY living room...?

rant, rant...

Anyway, Thank You, Peterparker, for enlightening...

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jul 30, 2008 8:35:48 PM

11. Bill O'Reilly hates bullies? That's rich considering he acts like a bully on his show all the time.

Posted by: RJ | Jul 30, 2008 9:22:55 PM

12. RJ --- I thought the same thing. Bill O'Reilly is an obnoxious bully --- he speaks over his guests, drowns out their comments, never lets them finish their points, and his remark only underscored the fact that most bullies are, at the core of it, self loathing.

Sadly, Wayne Besen, as the anointed "gay activist" for that debate was very weak. He caved on each challenge, gave several unnecessary conciliatory answers to O'Reilly when he should have put forth an uncompromising and tough and angry position. His position, instead, came across as watered down and ineffective. The only way to deal with a bully is to punch him squarely and effectively in the nose, with force and determination --- and an element of surprise.

Posted by: Richard | Jul 31, 2008 2:26:16 AM