Barack Obama | Elizabeth Dole | Karl Rove | Keith Olbermann | Magazines | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #328

DO NOT PASS GO: Brave New Films says send Karl Rove to jail.

PICKLE: Watch Grandpa John demonstrate the power of Christianity by electrocuting a pickle in a sling. Seriously.

ELIZABETH DOLE: Was Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person" on Wednesday for her attempt to add Jesse Helms to the Hyde-Lantos AIDS bill.

DAVID REMNICK: The editor of The New Yorker talks to Charlie Rose about the controversial Obama cover.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. Well, Grandpa John gave one of the most erotic sermons I've ever seen...would have been orgasmic had he used a Zucchini.

I hope they use him in the McCain Campaign.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 18, 2008 4:24:36 PM

2. I'd pay $20.00 (plus tip) to see Grandpa John electrocute Karl Rove's pickle in a sling.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jul 18, 2008 4:27:09 PM

3. Grandpa John has finally made me A Believer. My parents will be so happy.

I am a little confused, though. When he first pulled the pickle out of the jar, he said it was like a Christian. But then he had to use his fancy mumbojumbo electricity to light it up to make it a real Christian. By golly, I think that's the first time I've seen a religious person be inconsistent or incorrect.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 18, 2008 4:44:59 PM

4. That pickle thing, wasn't that how the christians tried to get the heretics to recant in Spain back in the good old days? And send Rove to jail!

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jul 18, 2008 5:44:33 PM

5. Am I the only person who thought the New Yorker cover was sort of funny? And, I'm a die hard Obama guy...

Posted by: Kurt from Milwaukee | Jul 18, 2008 7:13:59 PM

6. Hey, let's hook the christians up to electrodes and see if they light up too!

Posted by: Michael W. | Jul 18, 2008 7:37:57 PM

7. david remnick is so eloquent. he should thank his stars for the obama camp's stupid reaction to this cover photo..the new yorker has never gotten so much free press

Posted by: daveynyc | Jul 18, 2008 8:17:17 PM

8. The pickle is different. It is giving off light. But that is because Grandpa Joe stabbed both ends with a metal fork and then electrocuted it. Now I'm sure it will be a CHRISTIAN!

Posted by: Matt | Jul 18, 2008 9:03:21 PM

9. OMG! I can't wait to accept Jesus and have steam come shooting out of my ass!

Posted by: Tom | Jul 19, 2008 1:41:50 AM

10. Um, I uh, I know a few Christians that are forked at both ends and gets plugged in now and then, just like the pickle.

Good demo, Grandpa.

Posted by: Jason87 | Jul 19, 2008 1:44:35 AM

11. Oh Grandpa, stop jerkin my gherkin.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 19, 2008 8:15:11 AM

12. These clips are too funny!

Posted by: Nite in shining Armour | Jul 19, 2008 8:28:06 AM

13. This pickle guy has really caught the heart of the Christian belief system - with a modern update. Non-Christians should be killed, but it no longer has to be by stoning, crucifixion or throwing off towers, an electric chair works just as well!

Posted by: carl | Jul 19, 2008 11:14:32 AM

14. Pickles, slings, and nipple clamps. Oh, my!!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jul 19, 2008 4:27:13 PM

15. @ KURT FROM MILWAUKEE: No, you're not the only one. I thought it was great and I'm also an Obama fan. It's amazing to me how many people who should know better thought it was a racist attack by The New Yorker. Political satire is just too rare I guess and no one can take a joke.

Posted by: David R. | Jul 20, 2008 2:31:47 AM

16. @ DAVID R.: You are totally right. Political satire has been suffocated by extreme political correctness and very fragile feelings. I thought it was spot on and served as a good reminder to the lefties that read The New Yorker that they are fools if they believe any of those Black Panther/Militant Muslim smears.

Posted by: Kurt from Milwaukee | Jul 21, 2008 12:46:26 PM

17. Here's the problem I have with The New Yorker cover. There are still people in the U.S. who actually believe that Obama is a Muslim, and they're registered to vote. (I heard one interviewed on NPR just last week.)

Granted, these folks are unlikely to ever read The New Yorker (in fact they've probably never even heard of it), but you can bet your sweet bippy that they'll see the wall-to-wall Faux News coverage of the cover controversy.

Posted by: Shazzer | Jul 21, 2008 3:54:01 PM