California | Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | News

CA Attorney General Jerry Brown: Proposition 8 Not Retroactive

Same-sex marriages performed before the November elections should remain valid even if Proposition 8 passes, according to California Attorney General Jerry Brown. Proposition 8 would amend the constitution to declare "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

CaliforniarainbowAccording to the SF Chronicle, "Brown's position is significant because his office will represent the state in lawsuits over Prop. 8's validity and meaning if it passes."

Said Brown, noting that Prop. 8 mentions nothing about retroactivity: "I believe that marriages that have been entered into subsequent to the (May 15) Supreme Court opinion will be recognized by the California Supreme Court. I would think the court, in looking at the underlying equities, would most probably conclude that upholding the marriages performed in that interval (before the election) would be a just result."

In an unsurprising move, the California Catholic Conference (representing the archdioceses of Los Angeles and San Francisco and the dioceses of Fresno, Monterey, Oakland, Orange, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Jose, Santa Rosa and Stockton) endorsed Proposition 8 on Monday: "In the statement, the bishops say their position is based partly on the presumption that while all people deserve to be treated with dignity, being raised by a married mother and father is 'the ideal for the well being of children.'"

Comments

1. The Archdiocese of Los Angeles also paid out over $660 million to 500 people as a settlement for promoting and harboring priests who were sex addicts and sexual predators.

Also, as an Italian woman once told the Pope about birth control -- "you don't play the game, you don't make the rules".

Posted by: BH Here | Aug 5, 2008 8:48:37 AM

2. Um, I'm sure the "one father, one mother" rule thrills all the Catholic single parents out there. Whether because of a spouse or partner's death, incapacity, circumstance, or (gasp) divorce, plenty of good Catholics are raising children on their own.

Those single-parent Catholics must be so proud of the church today!

Posted by: jeffy | Aug 5, 2008 9:06:40 AM

3. I spoke to a straight catholic friend of mine the other day (living in the bay area) and he and his wife said all the news about this was completely off their radar. They don't really notice much press about it - and that I notice because I seek it out. Their belief is that most people think the whole thing is silly and will vote against the initiative. Hope they are correct... I think the majority of Californians are against it... the big question is will they VOTE...

Posted by: Mike | Aug 5, 2008 9:32:41 AM

4. The only retroactive laws in general (despite a constitutional ban on such things) are tax laws and environmental laws, otherwise forget it. Imagine if a state banned divorce, would all those who got divorced suddenly be married again? Not! This is a no-brainer.

Posted by: anon | Aug 5, 2008 9:59:58 AM

5. Time to out any gay CA.bishops...I have no proof, but have heard some claim to have proof of Roger Mahoney in LA and Jaime Soto in Sacramento. Any others out there?

Posted by: Rocco | Aug 5, 2008 1:01:04 PM

6. We all know that the Catholic church is full of dress wearin', child-molestin', closet queens. What I don't get is how they can be for or against any political measure and NOT lose their tax exempt status.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Aug 5, 2008 1:24:13 PM

7. We all know that the Catholic church is full of dress wearin', child-molestin', closet queens. What I don't get is how they can be for or against any political measure and NOT lose their tax exempt status.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Aug 5, 2008 1:24:47 PM

8. Tax the church! Tax the church! Tax the church! If they are going to be so overtly political then they should PAY. Fuckers.
    "The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision."-Lynn Lavner.

Posted by: SFshawn | Aug 5, 2008 1:49:14 PM

9. Jerry Brown is a snake. He was against gay marriage before the Supreme Court allowed it. Now the old man has seen the shift in political tides and is suddenly supporting it, all as part of his bid to run for governor (which is a joke). I really don't understand why anyone votes for him for anything.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 5, 2008 2:31:26 PM

10. And, of course, by restricting marriage to between a man and a woman this guarantees that all children will be raised in a loving home with a mother and father, because anyone with half a brain knows it's impossible to get pregnant outside of wedlock.
    Fuck the Pope!

Posted by: Brian | Aug 5, 2008 3:39:00 PM

11. just a thought...would all you catholic folk -- not to mention the baptists, the jews, the anglicans, the mormons and everybody else who believes in a big magic fairy in the sky who controls everything -- please tell your bosses to fuck the hell off and keep their non-tax-paying-status noses out of the affairs of state? Because one of these days, the rest of us normal people -- yes, I said NORMAL as in rational thinking human beings who don't fall for the crap which is religion (and if you wanna give me that absurd politically correct argument about "who says what's normal" you can blow me...) -- are finally gonna have enough and we are going to burn your fucking Holy Houses to the Holy Ground.

Figuratively speaking of course.

ahem.

Posted by: ron oliver | Aug 10, 2008 3:31:03 AM

12. This Thursday, August 14th, from 5:30 p.m - 8:30 p.m. at 2020 Main Street, Irvine, California:

ACTION ALERT: Tell the Right-Wing Consultants NO to Prop 8!

Posted by: Chino Blanco | Aug 14, 2008 4:44:30 AM

13. Are you having marriage problems? Are you thinking of what to do? I was in the same position a few days ago. Then I took help from this site. And I found that this site not only provided me just Fresno Divorce Lawyers counsel, but also these sites authorities became a friend who is interested and concerned for my future. I am saying this from my experience Fresno divorce attorney

Posted by: Fresno divorce attorney | Jan 21, 2011 6:29:08 AM

14. Are you having marriage problems? Are you thinking of what to do? I was in the same position a few days ago. Then I took help from this site. And I found that this site not only provided me just Fresno Divorce Lawyers counsel, but also these sites authorities became a friend who is interested and concerned for my future. I am saying this from my experience Divorce Attorney Fresno

Posted by: Divorce Attorney Fresno | Feb 14, 2011 1:33:44 AM