Comments

1. Brad says

From the Press Trust of India…

“The 28-year-old Houston lad, born to Gujarati parents Bob and Sue Bhavsar, was part of the six-member American men’s team which won the bronze medal in artistic gymnastics in the Beijing Olympics here today.” Do some real research Jon.

2. badingbading says

where are all the negative comments about how prurient it is for shirtless boys to be showing off their muscles? in my case, me likey shirtless boys!!!

3. Jonathan says

BADINGBADING, not one of those “boys” is under 20. The baby of the group, Jonathan Horton, is 22. Of course, Raj, the grandad of the crew, is not yet 28.

4. Derrick from Philly says

Well, then he’s an American of East Indian descent who probably loves Salsa.

Geeez, some of y’all can be so mean. He might be glad THE QUEEEN (and others) thought he was handsome & sexy enough to be Cuban. Right, RUDY?

5. shoepins says

Actually Raj is of SOUTH Asian descent, not EAST Asian. Kevin, on the other hand, IS of East Asian descent (Chinese). So I’ll take Raj with some Indian curry sauce and Kevin with some Chinese curry sauce :) mmm

If you removed Raj and Kevin, then it would be a Sean Cody crew, but it’s “too diverse” with them in the pic to be a Sean Cody crew.

6. shoepins says

7. Bimbo Brooks says

Why do non “white” people always have to get curry or salsa thrown in with them? For the record, white is not a country, so take some pride in your own cultural history too or at least find out where you came from. Maybe then guys won’t seem so “exotic”.

8. Derrick from Philly says

OK, BROOKS,

we’ll take the white guy with sauerkraut too. And he doesn’t have to be Aryan–I’d enjoy a pair of matso balls too. I aint no bigot…well, not no mo’.

9. says

Brooks, I totally agree.

As a Latin guy I get that every once and a while and I’m like “um, ok.”

Of course, I have tended to respond like Derrick above when encountering that “exotifying” behavior from white guys. I’m like, “ooh, i’d love to see you sipping a scotch on a yacht with your friend Biffy from Brandeis!” and they realize how ridiculous the whole thing is.

(for the record, I don’t mind when someone says they like my latin features or my skin color or eye color or the way I dance–I sway my hips like crazy LOL–it’s just when people throw cultural laziness around that bugs me.)

10. Tom says

What ever happened to all of the hot Russian/Eastern Bloc gymnasts? Those were the days. This Olympiad’s crop of gymnasts (men and women) are as dull as can be and completely lacking in the “hot” department.

11. Quiq says

Stupid idiot white bread anglo Americans who think that everyone who is dark and sultry must be from a Spanish speaking country, like tamales and dance salsa.

12. AJ says

Just to put all the ignorance to rest Raj Bhavsar is born to Indian parents Jitendra and Surekha Bhavsar in Houston in 1980. His parents come from a Western state in India called Gujarat. They are called Gujaratis or Gujju’s in India. They are most famous in India for being traders. In US they are mostly associated with owning the Motel businesses, Indian Grocery stores.
    Hope this puts to rest all that silly speculation whether he is a curry or a salsa.

13. RJ says

I certainly appreciate the pic – as does everyone here obviously – but what on earth were they, their managers and the photographer thinking with this pose? It wouldn’t look out of place in an issue of DNA Magazine.