Barack Obama | Election 2008 | Hillary Clinton | John McCain | News

Clinton Supporter Defects to McCain, Calls Average Voters 'Rednecks'

Prominent Hillary Clinton jet-setting supporter Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild made a well-publicized defection to the John McCain camp yesterday, accusing Obama of being an "elitist". You can't make this stuff up:

Baroness"She and her husband, Sir Evelyn Robert Adrian de Rothschild of the prominent Rothschild banking family of England, split their time between New York and a British country estate. It's not a bad life, she says, and she'd like you to have one just like it. Which is why she's backing Sen. John McCain for president, not her party's nominee. Sen. Barack Obama? He's an elitist, she says. 'I have a wonderful life,' the wealthy socialite told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday. 'I want John McCain and Sarah Palin in the White House so other people can have that wonderful life.' After issuing her endorsement Wednesday, Rothschild resigned her membership of the Democratic National Committee's Platform Committee. But she told Blitzer that she wouldn't give up her party membership. 'I'm going to stay a Democrat,' she said. 'Ronald Reagan might have said it right -- the Democratic Party left me, I didn't leave the Democratic Party.'"

Rothschild then went on CNN and called average voters who are bitter about her defection "rednecks."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's the full Campbell Brown interview (thanks, Dave):

(via pam's house blend)

Comments

1. Bitch, please.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Sep 18, 2008 10:20:27 AM

2. Her statement can be translated to
    "Let them eat cake".

Talk about privilaged elitist.

Posted by: griffin1573 | Sep 18, 2008 10:20:55 AM

3. the republicans must feel about this like the dems do about lohan. keep your mouth shut, please

Posted by: Dan B | Sep 18, 2008 10:21:50 AM

4. This woman call others "elitists" demonstrates how the word has lost any and all meaning.

Posted by: MAJeff | Sep 18, 2008 10:21:59 AM

5. I'm beginning to love Campbell Brown. She did a great job interviewing her and calling her out on how she was making no sense. I didn't get to see the whole thing as I was on my way out, so if anyone has a link to it I'd love to see the whole thing (and for everyone else to see it)

Posted by: gabriel | Sep 18, 2008 10:28:32 AM

6. To me, the issue isn't that she chooses to support McCain instead of Obama. She is entitled to vote for whomever she pleases. But why make this so public? Why bother to announce that you are backing McCain? It's one thing to vote for McCain, it's another to deliberately try to hurt Obama. And, ultimately, who cares? She hardly has a major following that will be influenced by her defection.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Sep 18, 2008 10:30:22 AM

7. To me, the issue isn't that she chooses to support McCain instead of Obama. She is entitled to vote for whomever she pleases. But why make this so public? Why bother to announce that you are backing McCain? It's one thing to vote for McCain, it's another to deliberately try to hurt Obama. And, ultimately, who cares? She hardly has a major following that will be influenced by her defection.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Sep 18, 2008 10:31:48 AM

8. The problem with her calling Obama "elitist" is that it's a thinly-veiled racist comment. Because apparently the Obamas are "elite" for not speaking ebonics, eating fried chicken and singing in church for publicity. Even though the McCains have no recollection of how many houses they own, the Obamas are elite because they must think they are better than other black people.

Give me a break.

Posted by: Josh | Sep 18, 2008 10:33:51 AM

9. What a complete lack of self-awareness. She calls people rednecks after claiming Obama is an elitist? Huh? Someone please explain to her the definition of irony.

Posted by: MattDTW | Sep 18, 2008 10:39:29 AM

10. I don't disagree with Josh. "elitist" in this election has become code for "uppity."

Posted by: MAJeff | Sep 18, 2008 10:39:46 AM

11. Let me break this down for you people. It's easy to understand why she now backs Obama. Under the Obama plan, he would increase taxes (i.e. roll back the bush tax cuts for her income class). Obama would also raise the Capital Gains tax. Her and her husband would stand to lose a lot of money under this administration. This goes back to my comments time after time on this blog. People don't vote for civil rights, or the rights of their neighbor. They vote with their wallet and whomever they perceive as keeping them wealthy or employeed.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 18, 2008 10:42:30 AM

12. Ye speak the truth Josh.

Posted by: Jon | Sep 18, 2008 10:42:48 AM

13. Sorry I meant why she back McCain

Posted by: Matt | Sep 18, 2008 10:43:37 AM

14. Wow... I mean WOW! What a load of hypocritical crap!

I would really like to know what the definition of "elitist" is to these people? Josh, I think you summed it up;

"Elitist" is the new black. I guess we have whole inner cities full of "elitists". Katrina displaced a 200,000 "elitists". The "elitist" servants wipe Lady Lynn's ass when she goes off on a bender.

"Republican" is the old racist.

It is well time for the "elitists" to rally and vote.

Posted by: Rad | Sep 18, 2008 10:44:36 AM

15. I can only hope Olberman goes off on her.

Posted by: Rad | Sep 18, 2008 10:46:04 AM

16. I know she can't be deported, but what about Sir Rothschild?

Is it possible for the Speaker Pelosi or Chairman Dean to throw this aristocratic lump of shit out of the Democratic Party? Slim Jim can't do it--he's a gentleman.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 18, 2008 10:51:35 AM

17. Here's the Campbell Brown interview:

Posted by: Dave | Sep 18, 2008 10:56:22 AM

18. Derrick from philly,

I'm assuming that's a joke. I don't agree with her backing of McCain but it's not very American to want to deport someone who disagrees with your viewpoint. I mean after all we let Janice Dickenson stay here and she is bat shit crazy.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 18, 2008 10:59:21 AM

19. You know I'm joking, MATT. THe English have more American citizenship than you or me. Hell, JACK THE RIPPER wouldn't even be deported, but let some African man be caught having sex with another man--out he goes....unless he can get to Canada.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 18, 2008 11:04:42 AM

20. This woman is either a total racist or batshit crazy - probably both, in my opinion.

Posted by: wisebear | Sep 18, 2008 11:15:32 AM

21. Let me get this right....A "Lady" aristocrat is calling a elf-made man of a single-parent home is an "elitist"? A man who uses logic over personal destruction to make points and share his views in a respectful way is an "elitist"? Was this woman a Hillary supporter due to Hillary's stance on the problems facing our country or because Hillary is a woman? Sounds like the Democratic party has scraped a barnacle from their underside. Oh wait, the "Lady" is still a member of the Democratic Party. Seems, like Maire Antionette, she wants her cake and eat it too. Don't even get me started on how the average American will ever be able to enjoy life as the "Lady" does in the current state of our State.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Sep 18, 2008 11:16:43 AM

22. LOL! and elf-made man. Me stoopid. Of course my sentence should have read self-made man.

And funny how "elitist" has now replaced "liberal". Irony. How rich! (or not).

Oh, and Andy, could you please make your blog compatible with firefox? Smarter people use Firefox. There was a study. It was in print. It MUST be true.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Sep 18, 2008 11:20:58 AM

23. I must agree with the Baroness. I find her argument compelling and persuasive. Also, she made a comment about the Roe vs. Wade issue being a noose tightened around womens' necks scaring them into voting democratic. After all, as she wisely pointed out, there has been no reversal of the Roe vs. Wade decision for some years now even under the Bush administration so why should we expect it under a Mccain/Palin watch? MATT, your comments are insightful and of course you are right. We do vote with our wallets. All in all, I believe that one's financial position is the issue at stake here and not anyone's civil rights.

Posted by: the countess de gooch | Sep 18, 2008 11:22:20 AM

24. Someone just found out that she'd have to pay extra taxes under Obama.

Posted by: Nick | Sep 18, 2008 11:30:17 AM

25. I think this just goes to show that Hillary's supporters are no more real Democrats than she has been. As one of her constituents, I voted for her in 2000, but after 6 years of nothing for New York STATE, and barely anything for NY CITY from her, I voted Green in '06. The only real Democrat that ran this year was Kucinich, and shame on our party for letting the press silence him and select our candidate for us.

Posted by: Mother | Sep 18, 2008 11:32:36 AM