Andy Roddick | Novak Djokovic | Sports | Tennis

Novak Djokovic Booed After U.S. Open Victory Over Roddick

Roddick_nole

Novak Djokovic was booed last night by the U.S. Open crowd after his 6-2, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5) quarter-final victory for commenting on a joke by Andy Roddick that he was faking more than 16 injuries.

Djokovic later apologized: "Unfortunately, Andy made a statement, and I don't think it was intentional. He made a joke and it was a misunderstanding. I exaggerated and I reacted bad in that moment. I apologise if I reacted like that. It was just impulsive and I had a lot of emotions in the last two days."

No worries. All's well in the world of tennis hotties.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Most of the commentary on the sports blogs and press is chauvinistic defense of Roddick and his mouth. Roddick choked per usual against a world class player. The NY fans (and I'm a lifelong area resident) were boorish clods defended by the sycophantic (and IMHO anti-foreigner biased) local and national media. I will still be rooting for Federer--and not just because he moves the needle a little on my gaydar.

Posted by: Jack H. | Sep 5, 2008 1:13:58 PM

2. don't you just want to stick a big dick in those wide open mouths? i know i do...

Posted by: the queen | Sep 5, 2008 1:17:10 PM

3. Andy Roddick is exactly that.

I was actually surprised that the NY fans booed - it was clear (to me anyway) that Djokovic was upset that a fellow player would publically "joke" that he was faking injuries.

Posted by: Ben | Sep 5, 2008 1:26:12 PM

4. The real pity was the behavior of the crowd- to lower themselves to yelling when Novak was serving was such poor sportsmanship.

Posted by: etf | Sep 5, 2008 1:46:46 PM

5. i fail to see what was so offensive about what this novak guy said.

Posted by: alguien | Sep 5, 2008 2:09:42 PM

6. Ok ok - Andy jokes around all the time and is quite sarcastic. I think the adrenaline got the best of Novak but he should not be so cocky. So I guess it is ok to imiate other players serves the way Novak has done jokingly during last years US Open and Austr. but a sarcastc remark by Andy is way off bounds? Whatever.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 5, 2008 2:10:19 PM

7. Once again Roddick chokes in battle. The guy can't win to save his life! He's a poor loser and Djokavik is simply amazing! Much hotter than Andy and a MUCH better tennis player.

Posted by: Wayne | Sep 5, 2008 2:51:01 PM

8. I thought Roddick was way out of line with his comments. I can see why Djokovic would have been pissed. I'm glad he beat A-Rod and see nothing wrong with what he said post-match. The fans' behaviour during the match was appalling.

Posted by: Julie | Sep 5, 2008 4:22:42 PM

9. Dear John McEnroe:

For someone who played tennis with the incredibly awful attitude and antics on the court that you displayed to say to someone who was told, jokingly or not, that he was faking his injuries after he beat that person fair and square is incredibly shameful.

Go fuck yourself and the white horse you rode in on. That goes for all of the Amercia-centric sports media whores.

Posted by: Tread | Sep 5, 2008 7:56:14 PM

10. D'oh!

…after he beat that person fair and square, to call his statement a "bit of a shame" is incredibly hypocritical. Djokovic was pissed and rightly so. Roddick is showing to be the sore loser that he always has and always will be, regardless of how much you try to blow him up to be larger than life.

Posted by: Tread | Sep 5, 2008 8:04:54 PM

11. Roddick is a whiny bitch. He says all that crap before the match and got blown away by Novak at actual tennis. US broadcasters love to overhype Roddick but he hasn't played well in ages. His only win was a lucky draw.

Posted by: stacey | Sep 5, 2008 9:02:22 PM

12. I have no particular affection or respect for Roddick but that's irrelevant to Djokovic's behavior.

He's pretty typical of Serb culture- a paranoid bully convinced that he's better than the world around him and angry unto genocide when that world doesn't recognize that "truth."

If you want to understand why 250,000 people died in the former Yugoslavia in the '90s, watch this Serbian rooster strut his stuff...

If you want to understand why it's not safe to be gay in the Balkans, see above.

Posted by: Larry McD | Sep 6, 2008 12:23:46 AM

13. yes, that was a graceless interview, but i'd still fuck him, although he'll be sloppy seconds after federrer or nadal has his way with him.

Posted by: nic | Sep 6, 2008 11:14:23 AM