Alaska | News | Republican Party | Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin Takes More Questions

Palins

Shockingly enough, Sarah Palin took a spontaneous question today from a reporter, who asked her if she believes our presence in Iraq and Afghanistan is inflaming Islamic extremists. She then makes the false assertion that Iraq is somehow tied to 9/11.

Also, a peek at the second part of Katie Couric's interview which airs tonight. Palin defends her foreign policy experience, because Alaska lies between Canada and Russia. She also bombs on a question about the bailout.

If you missed the earlier clips, watch them here. Can there be any doubt why they're keeping her from the press?

Watch them, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Katie Couric's Interview with Sarah Palin [tr]

This one is really astonishing:

"But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy..."

What? This is the issue her running mate John McCain supposedly "suspended" his campaign for (even though he hasn't really suspended it), the biggest issue facing our nation at the moment, and Palin has to check her crib sheet?

Comments

1. Wow. No surprise, but this certainly undermines all those claims from McCain and Laura Bush and every other GOP apologist that Palin is a "quick study" and her lack of experience doesn't matter. Her logic is so convoluted that it's hard to follow.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 25, 2008 6:55:06 PM

2. That second Palin clip is amazing... she is one dim bulb.. she makes McCain look good and that's saying something. Yikes.. how could people vote for these idiots??

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 25, 2008 6:56:39 PM

3. Watching Palin blubber like this is depressing. It's like watching an ice field disappear while a significant percentage of our population maintains its just a natural occurrence in the natural process. Oh wait...

Posted by: ANON | Sep 25, 2008 7:05:31 PM

4. As much as I hate to join in on this discussion, just keep in mind that this stupid blather has been working for that Frat Fuck from Texas for the past 8 years.

It's sometimes hard to believe that our fellow Americans can be so dumb as to swallow this crap whole, but they do. Ugh.

Posted by: hill_w | Sep 25, 2008 7:20:29 PM

5. I love the way the Daily Kos broke it down:

COURIC: Why isn’t it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? ... Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy– Oh, it’s got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions.

kos: I just want to make sure you guys understood this answer properly about the $700 billion bailout:

Reducing taxes has to be accompanied by tax reductions.

Got it? Good. Carry on.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Sep 25, 2008 7:41:11 PM

6. Goodness me.....she IS just a pretty face.

Posted by: Lloyd | Sep 25, 2008 7:43:41 PM

7. Her answers to these questions sounds like this:

Posted by: gr8guyca | Sep 25, 2008 7:55:46 PM

8. I swear she sounded EXACTLY what she is - a beauty queen answering pageant questions...and flubbing...."Ladies and gentlemen - Miss Republican VP 2008 Sara Palin!"

You do know that McSame is going to win (racism will see to that) and we will have to stomach her until 2010; by then we'll hopefully have impeached BOTH their asses for Republican crimes to the nation and Nancy Pelosi will be president!

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Sep 25, 2008 7:56:08 PM

9. Her answers to these questions sounds like this:

Posted by: gr8guyca | Sep 25, 2008 7:58:24 PM

10. "What? The Bailout? Oh......like the health care reform and such as, creating jobs and like reigning in spending with the reducing taxes and healthcare reform! And tax reduction! And as VP I promise to work towards total world domination which is God's plan! Thank ya so much!"

Posted by: ZnSD | Sep 25, 2008 7:59:10 PM

11. Ok, so really though, I'm sure she's thinking "I'll bring up healthcare because that's what Hillary did, and they took her seriously!"

Posted by: Znsd | Sep 25, 2008 8:01:04 PM

12. She seemed sensible for about five (four?) seconds and then . . . kind of like what happens when you blow too much air into a balloon and then let it go in a small room before tying off the end.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 25, 2008 8:01:39 PM

13. Lloyd- she sure is. I mean, second-place beauty and all, but still pretty. Sort of.

Seriously. The first clip about her talking about Alaska's border with Russia and Canada: what? when our economy's completely in the toilet and we're fighting two wars we can't afford or win, she's going to answer the American people, with, I don't know, a sarcastic quip? More than being a vapid idiot, she is an inappropriate sass-talker with no right to assume having the credentials it takes to be a world leader, or the second-in-command, or even the mayor of a small town in Alaska. All she's good for, it seems, is to receive blessings against witchcraft. Which, by the way, DOESN'T EXIST. Who IS this person and why am I forced to breath the same air that fills her head?!

Are you not enraged and sickened that this -- THIS -- is supposed to represent the best and the brightest?

We really have to do better than this crap. God help us all. I feel like my head is going to explode. Sad that a moose was put down instead of her.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Sep 25, 2008 8:05:35 PM

14. She's an unmitigated disaster, there's just no other conclusion.

Posted by: rascal | Sep 25, 2008 9:37:22 PM

15. I appreciated Couric asking about Pain (typo, but it stays)not having a passport. I'd been suprised when i heard that & was happy to have that addressed to Plain (typo, but it stays). Her response that she worked, and worked 2 jobs, until becoming a mother satisfied me. But when she started to talk about how Alaska had borders with 2 countries, I felt like she was condescending to explain to those living in the Lower 48, as if we too don't have 2 countries at our border, Canada and Mexico. Now that we've cleared that up, what's your point, sister?

When she explained how jet fighters depart from Alaska to defend the airspace with the Russian border, I felt she was taking an arrogant or condescending tone towards the Lower 48, as if we don't know where Alaska's, uh, pardon me, America's, border is. It was, again, a bit self evident and didn't broaden the "international experience" topic.

Posted by: Daniel | Sep 25, 2008 9:47:32 PM

16. as usual, the countess and i always enjoy a good palin talk and this one was no exception. as we open another bottle of krug we're wondering if we should go up and attend the folsom street fair where we are sure to meet peter labarbera or perhaps instead go to rodeo drive for lunch and a bit of shopping... ah decisions, decisions....

Posted by: the queen with the countess de gooch | Sep 25, 2008 9:49:45 PM

17. The problem is that those who hold power are not judged by their eligibility for office but for their perceived eligibility. For most people they'll see a pretty face and think, "Wouldn't that be nice?" And if she's a republican, and they're a republican, it means they don't have to find out what she thinks. Of course this happens on both sides, but this woman honestly makes me wonder if I woke up in an absurdist play.

Posted by: Henry | Sep 25, 2008 10:04:43 PM

18. aw jeez! it's like listening to that little ms. teen usa from south carolina. "and the south africans, and the iraquians and such. they can't afford maps. so it's very important for the education of the iran. and such. "

wtf did she even say? seriously, am i in the twilight zone?

Posted by: shawn | Sep 25, 2008 10:07:39 PM

19. Wow, she is in so far over her head that I almost feel sorry for her. She may be very intelligent when it comes to Alaskan politics, but down here in the lower 48, she's dumb.

Posted by: Mooney | Sep 25, 2008 10:19:44 PM

20. I was so embarrassed watching her speak. I too immediately thought of Miss South Carolina and how embarrassed I was watching her. I have to ask how this women got to be a Vice-Presidential Nominee. It boggles the mind...

Posted by: StephenF | Sep 25, 2008 10:31:01 PM

21. honest conversation with one of our (staunch republican) clients the other day:

Me: Don't you worry that both McCain and Palin have no grasp of the details of things?

Client: I'm not worried about a President or Vice President who do not know the details. I think it is more important they know the big picture.

I dunno. I think I would rather they know both. But maybe I'm crazy. Could be.

Posted by: chuck | Sep 25, 2008 11:46:09 PM

22. My partner tells me that today, the San Francisco Examiner ENDORSED John McCain. My jaw dropped to the floor. He wants to write to the businesses who advertise in that free rag to get them to stop advertising. I'd be in complete agreement. Of all the cities to have a paper which endorsed McCain, I would NOT have believed it, and is yet another reason to trash-bin the paper that litters my front porch (as well as the front porch of all of my neighbors) each morning.

Posted by: Drummer | Sep 26, 2008 12:31:17 AM

23. Introducing Miss Teen Alaska USA... "I personally believe... that such as Iraq... and um... Alaska and Canada doesn't have maps for the children... and Russia and Iran will be a better place for their airspace... for a maverick reformer and such as."

Posted by: PandaMonium | Sep 26, 2008 1:48:57 AM

24. This woman is an utter fool and should never set foot anywhere near the White House.

Posted by: Marty | Sep 26, 2008 2:49:36 AM

25. I love it! American politics, my favourite type of theatre.

It's like watching a train wreck happen, clearly this woman has no clue (as if we needed more proof), are we sure she is even a true brunette?

These are the television moments you just can't write, Katie gives her just enough rope. I almost feel sorry for her, how can she not have had an answer prepared for this question? Anyone south of the Artic circle saw this one coming. And she justs fails fantastically, MOCK? MOCK the media, OUCH, gonna pay for that one.

I love the staid look on Katie's face, you know she is just thinking, my shit has a higher IQ than you do Ms. Hockey Mom, I fart more intelligible answers.

I can't wait for the debates hopefully the rope is long enough.

Sharpen your claws Ms. Palin, gonna need them, Biden is going to slaughter you.

Posted by: Sean | Sep 26, 2008 3:52:36 AM