Barney Frank | Bill O'Reilly | News

Bill O'Reilly Attacks Barney Frank on Wall Street Mess

Oreillyfrank

Tempers raged between Bill O'Reilly and Barney Frank on The O'Reilly Factor last night.

O'Reilly goes after Frank's "manliness" over the Wall Street mess, blaming investor losses on a statement Frank made in July. O'Reilly calls Frank a "coward" and Frank calls O'Reilly a "bully."

This is the biggest O'Reilly rant I've seen in a long time.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

And with this, I have to bring back yesterday's Lil' O'Reilly.

(via queerty)

Comments

1. Why would Frank even go on that show and give O'Reilly any validation?

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Oct 3, 2008 11:51:42 AM

2. If a newscaster treated a guest like this in Austria (my home country) they would never sit in front of a TV camera again. It's disgusting.

Posted by: Gabriel | Oct 3, 2008 11:53:50 AM

3. No matter one's ideology, Bill O'Reilly's behavior was pretty obvious showboating. Yelling, pointing his finger, calling Frank a "coward," the constant interruptions ... I realize that "The Factor" is more of an opinion/commentary show than anything else, but any network with the word "News" in the title really ought to demand a little more professionalism from anyone sitting in an anchor chair.

It would be good for O'Reilly and Faux News in general to get more Democrats to appear on their network, but Bill-O's behavior illustrates exactly why so few of them are willing to do so. The comparative love-in that happens every night between out lesbian and flaming liberal Rachel Maddow and arch conservative Pat Buchanan on MSNBC every night should serve as a model to the other cable pundits out there.

Posted by: Red Seven | Oct 3, 2008 11:57:34 AM

4. I saw this last night and was pretty much taken aback by the lack of professionalism and maturity of O'Reilly (though not surprised). Barney has never been one of my favorite politicians; however I fail to see how his giving a speech could sway so many people into investing in Freddie and Fannie. While I have no problem with him pushing F&F to readily make available loans for low income folks wanting a piece of the American dream, reality suggests he shouldn't have done it without some sort of regulatory oversight and safeguards in place. That being said, F&F are clearly responsible for the mortgage meltdown debacle. Common sense dictates they should have not been guaranteeing loans to people whose income was far less than that which they could afford. Much like my previous employer AT&T, the motto was "your credit challenged customers are your best customers". It's morally bankrupt institutions like this that take advantage of the less fortunate among us that caused this situation with little regard for the consequences. Corporate greed is alive and well and the best anyone can do is to have the facts before leaping into an arrangement with any company.

Posted by: Keith | Oct 3, 2008 12:09:19 PM

5. I don't understand why any Democrat would go on The Bill O'Reilly show. Why would anyone want to give that bozo the credibility he so doesn't deserve?

Posted by: Philbert | Oct 3, 2008 12:09:32 PM

6. I'm Bill "loofah my falafel" O'Reilly wasn't too happy about getting shouted down by a queen like Rep. Frank. Delicious.

Posted by: Dan | Oct 3, 2008 12:11:02 PM

7. Not a big O'Reilly fan. i think if he toned it down a little to make his point it would be better. However, the crux of his argument of Frank ducking out of the responsibility of statements made regarding Fannie and Freddie is valid. Unfortunately it's been lost to his angry and bitter rants.

Posted by: Las Vegas | Oct 3, 2008 12:11:51 PM

8. yes i watched this close captioned with the sound off so i can listen to my billie holiday records at the same time -- it's the only way to watch the news these days... anyway, i think bor was rude and should not have talked to barney like this...

Posted by: the queen | Oct 3, 2008 12:15:28 PM

9. With people like BILL-O representing the "RIGHT", it makes me even more committed to resisting all federal taxation in the US. The right HATE us, and HATE our families - period.

Fine - they can pay.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Oct 3, 2008 12:18:53 PM

10. I TRULY don't understand why ANYONE with any sense would appear on that ranting bully's show. Rupert Murdoch should be utterly ashamed and appalled that he pays O'Reilly's salary. DISGUSTING!

Posted by: Danmac | Oct 3, 2008 12:20:53 PM

11. O'Reilly is such a douche bag.

Posted by: cb4422 | Oct 3, 2008 12:41:46 PM

12. No one takes Bill-O seriously. He is a hack and coward. Everyone knows it.

Glad I am not a stockholder in Faux News.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Oct 3, 2008 12:42:31 PM

13. Someone needs to punch Bill-O the clown in the face. He's only scared about losing some of his millions. I'm so sick of his fake journalism. Whoever taught him to kick and scream like a baby in order to get his way needs to be punches as well.

Posted by: KFLO | Oct 3, 2008 1:08:59 PM

14. that is so unprofessional, though I guess par for the course of Bill O. Frank (and any liberal) should never go on that show to begin with.

Yet, I can't help but think this: if Rachel Maddow did something like that on her new show on MSNBC, a) the entire right wing would be calling for her to be fired and b) she probably would be. Thank god she's polite and rational, even to her conservative guests.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 3, 2008 1:17:58 PM

15. I swear O'Reilly's mic is turned up louder than Frank's. It really bothers me. You can't argue your point when they're not allowing you to.

Posted by: ridwah | Oct 3, 2008 1:18:43 PM

16. I admire Frank for even tolerating this treatment. i would have said,
    "I came on this show to have an intelligent discussion about the issues to better inform the public. When you want a civil discussion, I will be happy to do that. But I'm not going to lower myself to engage in a shouting match with you." If O'Reilly continued, I would have walked off the show.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 3, 2008 1:38:16 PM

17. I would love to shove Bill O'Reilly's ugly face in a toilet.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 3, 2008 1:39:49 PM

18. Why would anyone tolerate this behavior? O'Reilly is an asshole rarely in control of the facts with absolutely no respect for anyone but his own showboating. Why would anyone go on this show? O'Reilly can jump into traffic for all I care of him...

Posted by: dean | Oct 3, 2008 2:01:11 PM

19. A few thoughts:

1) O'Reilly is the quintessence of what is wrong with the public policy debate in this country: hysterical,one-sided, polemical, and NOT about discussion.

2) I don't think any who have questioned why Frank was on the show in the first place INTEND it to come across this way, but your comments wind up feeling a little like blaming the victim. The reason Frank was on the show in the first place was probably to try to make inroads into the Fox viewer demographic represent a lot of the people who are calling their Congressmen and urging "no" votes on the bailout.

3) To Las Vegas: there is blame to go all around in this debacle, including both sides of the aisle in Congress. But let's not overlook that the Republicans controlled the Congress for 11 of the 13 years preceding this crisis. The seeds of this meltdown were sewn LONG before Frank assumed his chairmanship in January 2007. I would argue he is way far back in the long line of people who deserve blame here.

4) O'Reilly's contention that Frank is directly responsible for investor losses in Fannie and Freddie because of his July 2008 comments is absolutely ludicrous. He wasn't offering investment advice and no sensible person would have viewed his comments as such. Besides, anyone who was investing in Fannie and Freddie then, for any reason at all, let alone on Barney Frank's say-so, deserved whatever they got.

The bewildering thing about this to me is that dedicated Fox viewers out there in their millions watch crap like this and wind up believing it. The Republicans are SO adept at shifting or at least sharing blame with others, and Fox News and Bill O'Reilly are two big reasons why.

Posted by: Hermes in DC | Oct 3, 2008 2:13:38 PM

20. Actually Ridwah, O'Reilly's mic is always turned up a notch louder than his guests. I still can't figure out why Barney Frank would even consider going on Bill O'Reilly's show unless he honestly thought he would be able to refute Bill-o's ridiculous and untrue claim that Frank needs to "own up" to millions losing money in Fanny/Freddy. There is not truth to Bill-o's claims. Whatever, Bill O'Reilly gets my "violence meter" hitting the red-zone.

Posted by: mike | Oct 3, 2008 2:43:54 PM

21. Actually Ridwah, O'Reilly's mic is always turned up a notch louder than his guests. I still can't figure out why Barney Frank would even consider going on Bill O'Reilly's show unless he honestly thought he would be able to refute Bill-o's ridiculous and untrue claim that Frank needs to "own up" to millions losing money in Fanny/Freddy. There is not truth to Bill-o's claims. Whatever, Bill O'Reilly gets my "violence meter" hitting the red-zone.

Posted by: mike | Oct 3, 2008 2:44:22 PM

22. Just FYI, the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) loans aren't to blame for the mess. See Gramm's "Loan Shark Protection Act" (the misleadingly named Responsible Lending Act). Certain institutions talked customers into sub-prime loans even though 61% of the applicants could afford a fixed-rate loan. On top of this, as (basically unregulated) speculation of loan default (see Credit Default Swap, described by Warren Buffet "financial weapons of mass destruction") tanked as more and more loans defaulted, that became a further burden on lending and banking institutions.

The CRA loans comprised less than a quarter of all loans made and less than 10% of all high-cost loans. They were also less likely to be foreclosed and twice as likely to be retained in the originating bank’s portfolio than loans made by other institutions.

If any actual economists are reading this and I've given some wildly innaccurate information, I beg forgiveness. This shit's complicated.

Posted by: AG | Oct 3, 2008 3:25:45 PM

23. ...COME ON NOW...I'm sorry, I would have had to meet that motherfucka in the parking lot with the camera off to FINISH that little "discussion"

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Oct 3, 2008 4:44:25 PM

24. Frank, Dodd, Pelosi, Reid, Obama, Rangel, Conyers, Biden, Murtha...how any of you can defend these people is just beyond my understanding.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 3, 2008 5:53:32 PM

25. ...and do you think it matters that Barney Frank's lover, Herb Moses, was an executive at Fannie Mae for many years??????

Posted by: Mark | Oct 3, 2008 6:12:27 PM